• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Always jealous of de Garde postings here. Only had Stone Bu and Spruce Desay from them but they were phenomenal. Any news if they're going to expand distribution in the future?

The only expansion Trevor plans on is to more places in Oregon and Washington. They're at max capacity as it is, and they can't meet current demand. Washington has had three bottle shipments since June and those were all very small (Bu Weisse and Saison Desay, then Saison Premiere and now Grand Blanc). They still don't make enough to send us kegs.

I know people are always bummed when they can't get beer from other places, but not all breweries can or want to be everywhere. Plus you've probably got access to good comparable beer.

Lotto

The only expansion Trevor plans on is to more places in Oregon and Washington. They're at max capacity as it is, and they can't meet current demand. Washington has had three bottle shipments since June and those were all very small (Bu Weisse and Saison Desay, then Saison Premiere and now Grand Blanc). They still don't make enough to send us kegs.

I know people are always bummed when they can't get beer from other places, but not all breweries can or want to be everywhere. Plus you've probably got access to good comparable beer.

I see. That last part is very true, we just got Founder's distribution down here in SoCal which is pretty nice but I've yet to see a brewery down here as experimental as de Garde. Almanac is nice and it seems to me that more and more barrel/cellar programs are appearing for a lot of the breweries down here. Heh, part of the allure is it being so hard to get as well.

I see. That last part is very true, we just got Founder's distribution down here in SoCal which is pretty nice but I've yet to see a brewery down here as experimental as de Garde. Almanac is nice and it seems to me that more and more barrel/cellar programs are appearing for a lot of the breweries down here. Heh, part of the allure is it being so hard to get as well.

Casa Agria, SARA, Monkish, Good Beer Company...

You've got stuff down there in California.

Stone-Vertical-Epic-080808-960x1173.jpg

I've only recently started trying more quality beers that you can't get from a grocery store, and of the few tried, Stone Vertical Epic 08 is by far the best I've ever had. As far as the aging goes, I don't have a cellar, so what would be the best option?

Vice

I've only recently started trying more quality beers that you can't get from a grocery store, and of the few tried, Stone Vertical Epic 08 is by far the best I've ever had. As far as the aging goes, I don't have a cellar, so what would be the best option?

Styrofoam box in a closet. Maybe a wine fridge.

HiResDes

Can we talk about beer releases and schedules real quick.

http://foundersbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/2016-Availability-Calendar-WEB.jpg[/IMG

[B][URL="http://www.stonebrewing.com/shop/beer-release-schedule#ageGatePassed"]Stone Release Schedule[/URL][/B]

So according to these schedules and the beer advocate forums these beers should be out and about now:

Evil Twin Michigan - Maple Jesus
Ballast Point - Pineapple Sculpin
New Belgium - Blackberry Barleywine
Founder's - Imperial Stout
Founder's - Azacca IPA
Stone - 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout

And then next month:
2016 Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine
Stone Americano Stout
Stone Pataskala Red X IPA

[B]...I used to hate on Stone but man they've totally converted me and I feel are becoming so well-rounded and actually have things which I don't see as total gimmicks[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah I was wrong about them, but I had only experienced their IPAs

I don't buy Stone because there are so many other breweries available that I never consider them.

I do wish they'd tone down the ABV in their IPAs. Not everything needs to be so "EXTREEME!"

riotous

Banned
The high ABV works for their barrel aged beers; my wife love's their range of IPA's but I don't usually partake with her.

I skipped my muscle relaxers yesterday so I could have some beer lol; went around to 5 different places for various pick-up's and had a sample of a few beers on tap (just a few sips of each).

Finally tried the Peppermint Victory at Sea; it was pretty nice. Not as complex as other spiced beers I've had (Prarie Christmas Bomb! for instance, yumm) but good. Then had the Abraxas and the Wild Ride Nut Crusher Peanut Butter Porter; the former was of course an excellent spiced beer, the latter was literally like drinking peanut butter soda (7% ABV tho.) Some would probably hate that but I thought it was great.

Grabbed a box of 2013/2014/2015 Fremont Abom, a random BA "Ivan the Terrible" that was from 2014, and the Silver City BA Imperial Stout while I was there as well.

The high ABV works for their barrel aged beers; my wife love's their range of IPA's but I don't usually partake with her.

I skipped my muscle relaxers yesterday so I could have some beer lol; went around to 5 different places for various pick-up's and had a sample of a few beers on tap (just a few sips of each).

Finally tried the Peppermint Victory at Sea; it was pretty nice. Not as complex as other spiced beers I've had (Prarie Christmas Bomb! for instance, yumm) but good. Then had the Abraxas and the Wild Ride Nut Crusher Peanut Butter Porter; the former was of course an excellent spiced beer, the latter was literally like drinking peanut butter soda (7% ABV tho.) Some would probably hate that but I thought it was great.

Grabbed a box of 2013/2014/2015 Fremont Abom, a random BA "Ivan the Terrible" that was from 2014, and the Silver City BA Imperial Stout while I was there as well.

I volunteered at a beer fest several weeks ago, and out of the 30-40 beers on tap, Nut Crusher was the first (and only?) to blow. People love it, which I thought it was just OK.

riotous

Banned
I volunteered at a beer fest several weeks ago, and out of the 30-40 beers on tap, Nut Crusher was the first (and only?) to blow. People love it, which I thought it was just OK.

It really just doesn't taste like beer; like a barely carbonated peanut butter water lol. I wouldn't just outright recommend it to everyone but it certainly was unique.

Compared to the Victory at Sea Peanut Butter Cup I'd tried a few weeks ago it was night and day; that is a beer where you can barely detect the PB.

Had the Ballast Point Victory at Sea variants tonight. Coconut was definitely the best. The peanut butter was "lacking" and the peppermint just didn't work all that well for me. Des, if you're wondering, Firehouse Grill.

The Stone Enjoy By Unfiltered is really damn good though. Stone hate or not, it's a solid brew.

Triz

Got a Bottle of Stone's HiFi LowFi Mixtape for $4 at the local grocery store. Looking forward to popping it open. Also a bottle of Dogfish Head Positive Contact for the same price. Was looking forward to it until I saw it was a 2014 bottle and thats why it was on clearance lol.

When do you leave? I thought about driving over to Fremont to give you a can of Intergalactic Hopshop.

Leaving early tomorrow morning. Was going to try and hit you up, but was just following the family all weekend and randomly found myself at breweries. The Holy Mountain and Fremont suggestions were amazing though.

Leaving early tomorrow morning. Was going to try and hit you up, but was just following the family all weekend and randomly found myself at breweries. The Holy Mountain and Fremont suggestions were amazing though.

Bummer. I'm home with my daughter tonight, wife flew out to Boston earlier this morning. Putting her bed to shortly or I'd drive a can to you.

If you can get your butt to Green Lake tonight, I've got one for ya. And the grocery store by me has lots of CC Bbomb.

pxleyes

Banned
Got a colleague coming down from Atlanta, and I want to get some beers that I can't normally get in Florida. So far, my list includes...

Creature Comforts Tropicalia
Anything else Creature Comforts
Monday Night...something, haven't decided
Sweetwater Second Harvest (doesn't make it down here)
Orpheus...something

Any other suggestions? I'm not a BA fan, but I love sours and IPAs.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Got a colleague coming down from Atlanta, and I want to get some beers that I can't normally get in Florida. So far, my list includes...

Creature Comforts Tropicalia
Anything else Creature Comforts
Monday Night...something, haven't decided
Sweetwater Second Harvest (doesn't make it down here)
Orpheus...something

Any other suggestions? I'm not a BA fan, but I love sours and IPAs.

You hit the big ones. Atlanta landed Wicked Weed distribution recently, so I'd suggest their stuff. And I've had a couple things from Burnt Hickory that were decent.

pxleyes

Banned
You hit the big ones. Atlanta landed Wicked Weed distribution recently, so I'd suggest their stuff. And I've had a couple things from Burnt Hickory that were decent.

OMG Wicked Weed for sure. Love their stuff.

Also forgot that Westbrook distributed up there.

Lotto

Having a Pineapple Sculpin atm.. Yep, just as delicious as ever. They could bottle any fruit + sculpin and have a winner every time I think.

pxleyes

Banned
Stupid question. Is draught and keg beer the same thing as beer on tap?

Draught, draft, kegged, and tapped all refer to the same way to serve beer. Tapped can also refer to a cask or firkin (generally interchangeable), which is a naturally carbonated small-er amount of beer that is served via gravity instead of with a pressurized system like kegs.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I had some 805 from Firestone Walker over the weekend. It just got into Texas a couple of weeks ago. I really, really liked it. Not super high in alcohol and a smooth drink. Now the task of trying to find it in stores as this was at a sports bar.

I had some 805 from Firestone Walker over the weekend. It just got into Texas a couple of weeks ago. I really, really liked it. Not super high in alcohol and a smooth drink. Now the task of trying to find it in stores as this was at a sports bar.

It's one of their canned beers, super easy to find.

Chris R

I didn't have a bad time when I visited the Yardhouse last year. They had decent food and drinks and a bunch of TVs showing the Champions League Final match.

Granted, it wasn't my first choice, just something half-way between a restaurant and a bar that was close to the train station. I enjoyed Collin's Pub more though of the various places I've had a drink in around Downtown.

riotous

Banned
Say no to Yardhouse when downtown. Pine Box, yo.

I'll look into it, thanks. Entertaining some friends who aren't exactly foodies (no seafood, lol) so tried going for something simple bar food wise.

edit: looks good but my wife is also vegan and Yardhouse has a huge selection

HiResDes

We have a Yardhouse here in downtown Cincinnati, is it the same chain. My rule whenever I go somewhere new is to stay away from chains whenever possible.

riotous

Banned
Looks like a chain; I'm not really going there for the food. I don't think the beer is going to be any worse on tap because it's a chain lol.

If I had it m way we'd be getting sushi or maybe going to Lark. But we go out all the time so just trying to appease my friends who want to go "downtown." Last time they were around I took them to Ballard and Fremont and they were like "where are we, I thought we were going downtown!" lol

riotous

Banned
But if you're going there for nightlife I still would personally rather go somewhere more unique.

Well more like afternoon life lol. It's the noon-4pm section of the beer fest that we are going to (friends probably want to leave to go home before 6). The earliness + food restrictions limits the situation; considering I'll probably grab some food at the beerfest I doubt I'll even eat at Yardhouse. I have a feeling nobody will want to go to dinner anyways so hopefully can steer everyone to a cooler drinking spot. I'll keep pine box in mind for sure; if I can get them to go to Beer Junction in West Seattle that would be sweet.. they have crazy selection right now.

Lotto

Nabbed a §ucaba and a few Almanac beers today. I already have so many beers sitting in my cabinet that I need to drink, please help.

Top Bottom