• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Still surprised to see at least four cases of Hop Slam on the shelf.
DuR05Y3.jpg

mcfrank

Anyone in SoCal want Fremont CCBbomb and/or de Garde shelf beer or something (maybe Holy Mountain if I can find it) for a Modern Times variety 10-pack? Struck out everywhere I looked for one. Should be like $25.

Anyone take you up on this yet?

I wish I would have checked this thread earlier, I live close to El Segundo Brewing. Could have brought you some good bottles to share.

Pliny the Younger confirmed to be on tap this weekend at Twist Wine this weekend! Between that and visiting de Garde, it's going to be an incredible extended weekend.

Mitch

Banned
Still surprised to see at least four cases of Hop Slam on the shelf.
Had it on draft over Valentine's weekend. It was very good. Wish I could get some down here in Houston.

Thankfully I'll be moving up to Cleveland in a couple months, so I'll be able to enjoy Hoof Hearted and some other breweries more often. Although, I'll miss Karbach a whole lot.

Dogfish Head day for me. Got four packs of Immort Ale and Beer to Drink Music To. Hoping for a single of Romantic Chemistry. Didn't get a pack of that since I have so many IPAs at home already.

Granadier

Where will you be staying? My wife stays in Back Bay so she hits up Urban Grape and Bauer Wine & Spirits. Urban sells singles and has Trillium weekly now.

It won't be until June, but there's a high chance I'll be staying in the Sommerville/Cambridge area. Last time I was there I stopped at a great place called the Mead Hall I think. Had a few IPA's that the bartender recommended, but I forget what the name was.

riotous

Banned
Stouts, barley wines, porters, various styles of ales, quads are my favorites (and while mostly stouts there are a few other styles in that picture.)

I also drink just about every other style and enjoy them; IPAs/DIPAS/TIPAS, sours.

But yeah heavy / high ABV beers are my favorite.

thabiz

Stouts, barley wines, porters, various styles of ales, quads are my favorites (and while mostly stouts there are a few other styles in that picture.)

I also drink just about every other style and enjoy them; IPAs/DIPAS/TIPAS, sours.

But yeah heavy / high ABV beers are my favorite.

Was curious as most of your pics have been dark heavy beers.

riotous

Banned
Well I guess I'm guilty of drinking mostly dark beers; dark ales, blended ales and porters are my most consumed non-stouts and they are all fairly similar.

But I have some sours and IPAs in my fridge. I tend to take pictures of my barrel aged beers more often than other beers I drink and they are mostly dark.

I used to be all about the higher the ABV the better. While I still enjoy them from time to time, I'd much rather have a nice sub-7% saison, IPA, pale or pilsner now.

Gettin' old.

HiResDes

Well I guess I'm guilty of drinking mostly dark beers; dark ales, blended ales and porters are my most consumed non-stouts and they are all fairly similar.

But I have some sours and IPAs in my fridge. I tend to take pictures of my barrel aged beers more often than other beers I drink and they are mostly dark.

We have similar tastes for sure.

Granadier

I used to be all about the higher the ABV the better. While I still enjoy them from time to time, I'd much rather have a nice sub-7% saison, IPA, pale or pilsner now.

Gettin' old.

Same, I can only manage a 10%+ every once in awhile. Would much rather have a milder IPA.

HiResDes

I kinda like not having to drink so many beers to feel buzzed. I'll just sip one like a bomber of something 12 percent for a while and that'll be my night

Granadier

For me, a really strong beer wipes all the taste right out. I like to enjoy the taste of my beer most of the time.

riotous

Banned
I end up not drinking very much quantity; often it's just splitting one large bottle with my wife.. maybe topping it off with another smaller bottle.

Last night was an exception; but still ended up only drinking 30 total oz.'s of beers over the course of 6 hours.

And I love the flavor of boozy beers; although when I'm not drinking beer it's a glass of neat scotch. My pallete is used to straight liquor so a whiskey/bourbon barrel aged beer is right up my alley.

Take small sips, let the beer warm a bit, see how the flavor develops. Pallete might be ovrwhelmed on the first few sips but then as you get through it you should detect far more flavors.

Like that Midnight Sun Berserker.. on first sip you feel like you've just put whiskey and liquid smoke in your mouth.. but by midway through the beer those flavors are in the background and all kinds of malt / sweet flavors develop.

Tonight is my exception. I've got the following that I'm splitting with friends who are coming over while our kids play.

32 oz crowler of Boneyard's Notorious (11.8% TIPA)
32 oz crowler of Barley Brown's Forklift (9% DIPA)
Bomber of El Segundo's Power Plant (11.1% TIPA)
+whatever they bring. Probably one of our de Garde Keeper bottles.

riotous

Banned
Nice! Have a crowler Notorious TIPA in my fridge along with a crowler of Heathen Mega-mint that we'll probably be cracking open with friends this weekend.

thabiz

Tonight is my exception. I've got the following that I'm splitting with friends who are coming over while our kids play.

32 oz crowler of Boneyard's Notorious (11.8% TIPA)
32 oz crowler of Barley Brown's Forklift (9% DIPA)
Bomber of El Segundo's Power Plant (11.1% TIPA)
+whatever they bring. Probably one of our de Garde Keeper bottles.
Adios taste buds

Granadier

Most "big" beers have are just too boozy for their own good and wreck my palate. I'm good with 6-8 oz.

Give me a kick ass 4% grisette or saison and I'm a happy man.

Agreed.

Third Street just released their Hop Lift IPA in 16oz cans so I'll have to try that. Surly and Insight are two other breweries that I'll go in on the 16oz cans with.

Doomsayer

I almost forgot there was a beer OT in community.

I will be spending a lot of time here.

@riot - Standouts from your picture collage? I think the BBA Biscotti is pretty amazing when I can find it. I have a Double Barrel Jesus I've been itching to open.

Is there a homebrew thread or do we talk about it here, too?

riotous

Banned
@riot - Standouts from your picture collage? I think the BBA Biscotti is pretty amazing when I can find it. I have a Double Barrel Jesus I've been itching to open.

-Stone W00tsout is a great value at 9.99 a bottle if you can find it, I think it's an under rated standout
-Avery Tweak (keep in mind that's a 2014 bottle) is incredibly smooth for a 17% ABV beer, and has a great coffee flavor that holds up to aging.
-Berserker by Midnight Sun (IIRC that's a 2014 bottle) is excellent; starts off too smokey but I quickly adjusted and found the flavor to be great. (wheras The Bruery Smoking Wood is just a liquid smoke-fest that ruined my pallete for the night)
-The Bruery Cuivre is a really nice one, very caramely.. although it's around $30 a bottle
- Ivan the Terrible from Big Sky seems really thin and simple but then has an incredibly after taste.

And yeah the biscotti break is great. The rest I still rate very highly but I wouldn't call them standouts.

And since I love dark/heavy beers you'd have to be careful with what I recommend lol.

Top Bottom