• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Back from Twist Wine after a pint of Blind Pig, two glasses of Pliny the Younger, and these...

vbSg38s.jpg

A great couple of hours were had.

Doomsayer

-Stone W00tsout is a great value at 9.99 a bottle if you can find it, I think it's an under rated standout
-Avery Tweak (keep in mind that's a 2014 bottle) is incredibly smooth for a 17% ABV beer, and has a great coffee flavor that holds up to aging.
-Berserker by Midnight Sun (IIRC that's a 2014 bottle) is excellent; starts off too smokey but I quickly adjusted and found the flavor to be great. (wheras The Bruery Smoking Wood is just a liquid smoke-fest that ruined my pallete for the night)
-The Bruery Cuivre is a really nice one, very caramely.. although it's around $30 a bottle
- Ivan the Terrible from Big Sky seems really thin and simple but then has an incredibly after taste.

And yeah the biscotti break is great. The rest I still rate very highly but I wouldn't call them standouts.

And since I love dark/heavy beers you'd have to be careful with what I recommend lol.

Smoking Wood is one of the worst beers the Bruery has ever made, I'm with you on that.

Souts/Barleywines/Old Ales are pretty much my jam. I'm part of the Bruery's Hoarders society so I'm used to all of their high ABV stuff (Black Tuesday, Mocha Wednesday, etc).

I have a 2014 Tweak as well, I drank a 2014 Rumpkin the other night and thought it was awful. It didn't age very well, at all.

Looking forward to talking beer with you guys. I'm also looking for a east connection for Treehouse and Trillium. I have all the west coast goodies you need. :)

riotous

Banned
I have a 2014 Tweak as well, I drank a 2014 Rumpkin the other night and thought it was awful. It didn't age very well, at all.

Yeah I have a Rumpkin on deck; I'm not too excieted for it as I drank a 2014 Pum[ky]n the other day and it didn't age nearly as well as the Tweak did.

The Tweak was like drinking a great creamy coffee w/ Bourbon. I've been warned aout aging adjuncts but I've had week old coffee beers that tasted more decayed than the 2014 Tweak I drank the other day.

About 50th in line at Holy Mountain for their BA Midnight Still release. Been here since 10:15am. Probably 200 more behind me.

Awesome. :-/

Damn, I'm not surprised but I feel like that's pretty crazy for Seattle.

Speaking of which, I'm finally gonna be visiting in mid-May. I'm really excited and I'll def be pestering you for recommendations but I'm unintentionally going to be there during Beer Week. What should I expect? Has it been a crowded shitshow in the past?

So many fruity beers in the coolers around me, pineapple habanero sour, tropical ipas, ect.

Year of the fruity beers

The thirst for fruit is pretty ridiculous, but there are still tons that don't have fruit. A lot of times "tropical" is just referring to the hops.

Unless it's Ballast Point. Then that shits full of fuckin' fruit. Pineapples and grapefruit and watermelons and mangos shiiiiiit.

thabiz

I had a good blueberry ale last week. Subtle blueberry flavour which is why I think it worked. Most fruit beers I've had taste more fruit than beer. Doesn't work.

PG2G

I hate Coconut (probably more of a texture thing) but it makes for a damn good stout. I'd suggest trying some of the good ones before writing off its presence in beer. Other fruits in stouts are awful though.

riotous

Banned
I enjoy coconut and nuts in general as a beer flavor.

Maui Brewing Company Coconut Porter is my water replacement any time I'm on the island.

I hate Coconut (probably more of a texture thing) but it makes for a damn good stout. I'd suggest trying some of the good ones before writing off its presence in beer. Other fruits in stouts are awful though.
I will give something a shot if I see it.

And raspberry or cherry flavors work well in stouts if subtle.

Goose-Island-Coconut-Bourbon-County.jpg

That beer strongly disagrees with you.

That is what I was going to respond with. Really wish I could get another bottle, but I'm fine with not paying as much as I would have to to get one.

Fake edit: Wait no, I didn't have the 2013, I had the 2014, which also used coconut.

Back from a great time at de Garde and Pacific City.

1sLGhcv.jpg

Tried a bunch and brought home a bottle of Tres Grand Blanc. Next time I come back (and there will be a next time soon), I'll hit a bunch more of their on-premises-only bottles. Some incredible stuff on that list.

My wife got me bombers of Trillium's Scaled IPA and Fort Point Pale. The shop she goes to gets Trillium deliveries every week now after a 1 1/2 year drought.

Distantmantra, did you ever get to try Block 15's Intergalactic Hop Shop? They just announced they've released a second batch.

Yep! I was the one who told you about it. Had 8 cans from Chuck's Hop Shop (the place it was made for).

Top Bottom