• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Chris R

Rondy Brew '16 was so damn tasty.

Right amount of tart and fruit from a Saison. A bit spendy but whatever, to be expected from ABC.

Putzweg

I can only speak for Sweden and partly Denmark, but there are literally tons of micro-breweries spewing out new beers here and they do all types of sorts. In fact, there seem to be a race trying to see who can make the most obscure and weird brews.

99 % of these breweries have a very small and narrow distribution. Only a handful ever make it to another european country let alone abroad. Such as Mikkeller or Omnipollo. Two breweries who have hugely succesful sale and PR departments. To be frank. That is probably what differs them from other micro-breweries.

My brewing guild is tapping a Cascadian (dry hopped on mosaic) on firkin today. We've had mixed results with carbonation, so hopefully it's spot on today. It's going to be fun day in Wyoming for beer. I wish I could upload some pints to beer |OT| , cause it's going to be delicious.

riotous

Banned
I can only speak for Sweden and partly Denmark, but there are literally tons of micro-breweries spewing out new beers here and they do all types of sorts. In fact, there seem to be a race trying to see who can make the most obscure and weird brews.

99 % of these breweries have a very small and narrow distribution. Only a handful ever make it to another european country let alone abroad. Such as Mikkeller or Omnipollo. Two breweries who have hugely succesful sale and PR departments. To be frank. That is probably what differs them from other micro-breweries.

I see a ton of people posting on Instagram from Sweden a big variety of beers.

It's cool how many Europeans I see posting micro-brews I get here in Seattle too.

Back in LA for the weekend and I stopped by a bar that usually has a so-so beer selection and turns out there were leftovers from their anniversary event. Funny enough only the IPAs had kicked (not even especially crazy stuff, Kern Just Outstanding, Noble Tongue Tickles, that kinda stuff) and things like Abraxas, 2013 Abyss, BA Ten Fidy, and BCBS were still on. LA valley craft beer scene in a nutshell I guess. Wasn't in the mood for heavy stuff so I just gorged myself on sours instead. Had:

Firestone Walker Feral One (Batch 1): Holy shit this was amazing. I don't know if it was the age but it tasted like Crooked Stave Surette at its best.

Allagash Nancy: I'd skipped this in bottles the last couple times I saw it but I regret it now. Not that complex but tasted just like the frozen sour cherries I'd eat out of the bag when I was a kid.

Stillwater Gose Gone Wild: Been wanting to try this for years, kinda like an ideal lemon-lime gatorade. I definitely wouldn't mind a whole bottle.

Anybody in the PNW that could get me a Hair of the Dog tulip glass (and taster maybe)? Always wanted one and they won't sell them on the site due to breakage in shipping (package better?). Could offer glassware or beer.

vIuGVw3.jpg

Anybody in the PNW that could get me a Hair of the Dog tulip glass (and taster maybe)? Always wanted one and they won't sell them on the site due to breakage in shipping (package better?). Could offer glassware or beer.

I'll be down in Portland in a few weeks for the Farmhouse Festival. I'll try to stop at HotD.

anyone else get DLD tickets?
It was a squeaker, but yeah. Buddy and I are gonna be there again this year; group D. Seemed a little rougher getting tickets this go compared to last year despite the big up front cost. I wonder if they're shooting for a smaller festival. Guess I wouldn't be bothered. It felt really crowded last year. Though, part of that was people piling under the tents to get out of the rain.

I'll be the dude pouring weird homebrew sours. Habanero Flanders? Lemongrass Gose? Find me and you'll get some.

mcfrank

keep supporting corona

I'll keep supporting good beer, thanks.

Good beer day yesterday. Picked up these bottles - Rare Barrel No Salt x2, Bourbon Victory At Sea x3, Firestone Feral One Batch 3, Alesmith Hammerhead Speedway Stout x 2 and Port Wee Heavy.

Also went to Churchill's renaissance party in Escondido which had one of the best tap lists I have ever seen including Pliny the Younger and Duck Duck Gooze.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Going to Renaissance around 3 was the right call. I actually got a table and I don't care about Younger or DDG (I have bottles of DDG already).

mcfrank

Going to Renaissance around 3 was the right call. I actually got a table and I don't care about Younger or DDG (I have bottles of DDG already).

It wasn't too bad for us. Got there about 9:40 and got a table/firepit about 20 minutes after they opened. If you got there at 10:20 or later you were pretty screwed because it was at capacity.

Lotto

Good beer day yesterday. Picked up these bottles - Rare Barrel No Salt x2, Bourbon Victory At Sea x3, Firestone Feral One Batch 3, Alesmith Hammerhead Speedway Stout x 2 and Port Wee Heavy.

Also went to Churchill's renaissance party in Escondido which had one of the best tap lists I have ever seen including Pliny the Younger and Duck Duck Gooze.

nice haul, that tap list is out of this world. hope you tried that m2 from abnormal, caught me off guard how good it was, hidden gem of a beer i'd say.

Eusis

Ohh, I'm going to keep an eye on Churchill's then, thanks. Should really be checking local places more often.

injurai

Banned
I went to Hoof Hearted. It's a really cool bar, certainly attracts a trendy crowd. They're IPA's are quite incredibly. Like 1st rate, choice, IPAs. They're imperial stout was rather boring, maybe I just wasn't in the mood. They have crazy weird appetizers, which are rather expensive. They're fries are good and are priced reasonably compared to everything else, and they make their own mustard which is fucking delicious.

I didn't get to try Konkey Dong, I have no idea when they will be releasing more. Still keeping an eye out.

HiResDes

I went to Hoof Hearted. It's a really cool bar, certainly attracts a trendy crowd. They're IPA's are quite incredibly. Like 1st rate, choice, IPAs. They're imperial stout was rather boring, maybe I just wasn't in the mood. They have crazy weird appetizers, which are rather expensive. They're fries are good and are priced reasonably compared to everything else, and they make their own mustard which is fucking delicious.

I didn't get to try Konkey Dong, I have no idea when they will be releasing more. Still keeping an eye out.
Did you get to try Roller Blabe breh? Wangbar supposed to be piff too

mcfrank

nice haul, that tap list is out of this world. hope you tried that m2 from abnormal, caught me off guard how good it was, hidden gem of a beer i'd say.

Yeah M2 was a big surprise. It was the 3rd or fourth keg to blow as word got out how good it was.

Jarrod38

Bought a 4 pack of Sam Adams Nitro White Ale and it was actually good. Just love the sound it makes when you open it. Kinda expensive but hey it's worth it though.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Any scotch drinkers here? I'm looking for something that is good, but doable for a college student. Not a huge liquor drinker, but want a bottle around for the occasional drink.

Lotto

Any scotch drinkers here? I'm looking for something that is good, but doable for a college student. Not a huge liquor drinker, but want a bottle around for the occasional drink.

not crazy about hard liquor either but usually i go for this:

really enjoy the peat + smoke, usually with a splash of cold water will do it, can probably find it for around $40-50.

Short's distro just showed up in town. Went to a release event last night. Came away super disappointed. I tried Huma Lupa Licious, Space Rock, and Soft Parade and didn't bother finishing any of them. They were bland and tasteless, soapy, and just a hot mess, respectively. Maybe stretching their footprint meant we got some less-than-fresh kegs. I dunno.

I'd heard good things in the past, but they did not impress me in person.

Short's distro just showed up in town. Went to a release event last night. Came away super disappointed. I tried Huma Lupa Licious, Space Rock, and Soft Parade and didn't bother finishing any of them. They were bland and tasteless, soapy, and just a hot mess, respectively. Maybe stretching their footprint meant we got some less-than-fresh kegs. I dunno.

I'd heard good things in the past, but they did not impress me in person.

Shorts is a middle of the road brewery that is loved mostly for being local. Captain Fantasy was awesome, but everything I've had while in Michigan was just "eh."

injurai

Banned
not crazy about hard liquor either but usually i go for this:

really enjoy the peat + smoke, usually with a splash of cold water will do it, can probably find it for around $40-50.

Friend just bought this, and I got to try it. I like the taste, I can see it growing on me. The proof is way to high to drink without adding some water.

I can see a bottle of this lasting a long time.

Hasney

First time poster and shizz.

Ended up buying a box from Brewdog that arrived yesterday. batches of things I already knew I liked from their bar here (Hardcore IPA, Arcade Nation & Jack Hammer mainly), but I got a 40% IPA called Sink the Bismarck and tried it last night.

It's so bizarre, like an IPA concentrate basically. I've tried their dark ale version of Tactical Nuclear Penguin and that's nice and smooth, but this is a kick in the teeth.... In a good way.

Had a bottle of Candy Kaiser too which isn't bad, but not my thing. It's apparently a Northern German style retro altbier and it's bitter at first, but leave it a while and it has an aftertaste like a boiled sweet, which is a little bizzare.

Going to try some dark stuff tonight though. Ease in with the black IPA Arcade Nation, then try the milk stout Jet Black Heart. Was going to try Black Eyed Imp King: Vietnamese Coffee Edition, but I only grabbed 2 cans of it so going to wait until my g/f is over since she'll like that. The worlds strongest ever canned ale apparently.

Top Bottom