• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Valhelm

contribute something
I had an ironic Black and Tan last night, and realized I really prefer Guinness when it's mixed with something more subtle.

Does this make me a pleb?

Bacon

Nope. I think Guinness is really watery and bland. Kinda reminds me of stale coffee. [shrug]

I also really am not a fan of regular Guinness however I had Guinness foreign extra last night for the first time and it was actually pretty flavorful and had a much fuller body then regular Guinness.

I also really am not a fan of regular Guinness however I had Guinness foreign extra last night for the first time and it was actually pretty flavorful and had a much fuller body then regular Guinness.

I thought the same thing. Extra wasn't much better, but it had more body to it.

I've had Trillium and Night Shift's hazy IPAs, but HH sounds like something much crazier and not as palatable.
I'm in the same boat. I've liked the cloudy Treehouse and Tired Hands hopbombs that I've tried. But looking at photos of a glass of Konky Dong, it's another thing entirely. It just seems offputting to look at. But, hey. I've got some leftover oats from my stout this winter and a half-sack of wheatmalt sitting around waiting for a project. Might as well see what the hype is about.

I'm in the same boat. I've liked the cloudy Treehouse and Tired Hands hopbombs that I've tried. But looking at photos of a glass of Konky Dong, it's another thing entirely. It just seems offputting to look at. But, hey. I've got some leftover oats from my stout this winter and a half-sack of wheatmalt sitting around waiting for a project. Might as well see what the hype is about.

My problem with most of the hazy-cloudy IPAs is a lack of bitterness. There's something in the brewing process that eliminates a lot of the hop bitterness I look for in an IPA. They're good, but I'm normally at my limit with one of them and don't want anymore.

DDB's comments on Hoof Hearted make it sound like the opposite, that it's almost like eating the concentrated hop trub at the bottom of a fermenter.

My problem with most of the hazy-cloudy IPAs is a lack of bitterness. There's something in the brewing process that eliminates a lot of the hop bitterness I look for in an IPA. They're good, but I'm normally at my limit with one of them and don't want anymore.

DDB's comments on Hoof Hearted make it sound like the opposite, that it's almost like eating the concentrated hop trub at the bottom of a fermenter.
I dont think there's anything about the process that makes it incompatible with a bitter beer. They're just intentionally brewed to be low bitterness. High protein grist, high mineral content that leans heavy on the chlorides, and shift all of the hops to the later stages. They're supposed to be full and rich rather than bright and sharp.

Maybe it's just not all that accurate anymore to call these kinds of beers IPAs.

I dont think there's anything about the process that makes it incompatible with a bitter beer. They're just intentionally brewed to be low bitterness. High protein grist, high mineral content that leans heavy on the chlorides, and shift all of the hops to the later stages. They're supposed to be full and rich rather than bright and sharp.

Maybe it's just not all that accurate anymore to call these kinds of beers IPAs.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get across with my statement. It gets too low on the bitterness for me and just becomes too sweet. They smell great and initially taste great, but I get overwhelmed by the sweetness after a pint.

It is interesting seeing some people online who's first exposure to hoppy beer are these and then have a negative reaction to the more traditional IPAs and pales.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get across with my statement. It gets too low on the bitterness for me and just becomes too sweet. They smell great and initially taste great, but I get overwhelmed by the sweetness after a pint.

It is interesting seeing some people online who's first exposure to hoppy beer are these and then have a negative reaction to the more traditional IPAs and pales.
I've actually turned people around on hops in general with some low-bitter pales. They're all, "No, I don't like hops." So you tell them, "Just try this." And they go all wide-eyed that you can get all of these smells and flavors just from hops. I've had some of those people gradually come around to the dry and bitter pales because they have a reference point to taste from.

I think it's just that the bitterness in a lot of modern IPAs, west coast especially, is a little overwhelming for an unconditioned palate. They just can't taste around it without practice.

Hoppy beers are an acquired taste. I'm all for the low bitter pales like Fremont's Summer Ale and Session Pale, and Bale Breaker's Field 41. They still have a balancing bitter note that isn't overpowering but also isn't drowned out by sweetness. [shrug]

Night Shift's Morph and Whirpool tend to have nice balancing bitter note to go along with the sweetness. I thought Trillium's Fort Point, while fantastic, finished up too sweet for me and was fatiguing by the end.

Mitch

Banned
My first hoppy beer was a Sierra Nevada IPA. Was not used to that bitter taste, but after trying other IPAs the following months, I grew to absolutely love them.

When I started dating my SO, she refused to try bitter beers. She finally started drinking pale ales this year, and I couldn't be happier. Her favorite seems to be PseudoSue. I think mine is 3 Floyd's Alpha King.

Well lookie at what I bought this week:

VaHVJAn.jpg

Jarnet87

My first hoppy beer was a Sierra Nevada IPA. Was not used to that bitter taste, but after trying other IPAs the following months, I grew to absolutely love them.

When I started dating my SO, she refused to try bitter beers. She finally started drinking pale ales this year, and I couldn't be happier. Her favorite seems to be PseudoSue. I think mine is 3 Floyd's Alpha King.

We are suppose to start getting distribution from Toppling Goliath in Florida, but it's through Brewhub in Lakeland. People who have had the TG stuff from Brewhub say it's not as good as the original brewery but they are working on getting it better. I'll try out some Pseudosue if I see it down here.

I traded for some fresh Alpha King and Zombie Dust. They are real solid APA's and if could go to the store and pick up a sixer then it would be a regular purchase, but I don't think I would trade for them again.

Funky Buddha's Hop Stimulator Double IPA will be on shelves in April. Really hoping it's a great DIPA, could use a good local DIPA.

Ooo, Hoof Hearted has a brewpub in Columbus, OH, which will be a lot easier to get to from Athens. Looks like the selection isn't as good, though...

Beer pairing dinner with a local restaurant (Lot 2) and Avery. Best beers were the tequila/wine barrel aged sour and the vanilla stout. Best pairings were the two wits and the vanilla stout with dessert.

As much as everyone tries, I still don't think IPA pairs particularly well with food.

Food was amazing, beer was great. Overall an awesome evening.

Not cool. I think I am developing an allergy to something, and I think it is yeast.

A month or so ago I had a small breakout on one of my hands, but wrote it off as dry skin or bug bites. Well, the spots showed back up last night, and then I had a small hive develop on the other arm. They went away a few hours later after I had my last beer, but my throat seemed swollen and scratchy before bed.

Well, tonight, my throat feels swollen again and the back of my hands itch again. The only thing in common? Beer.

Last night was a 2011 bottle of Three Philosophers, and there was a ton of yeast in the bottom of the bottle, and the pour was very hazy with a lot of sediment at the bottom.
Tonight was Molotov Cocktail Heavy. The first glass was fine, but when I poured the second half of the bomber it was hazy with visible floaters, and a lot of sediment at the bottom of the glass. Well, about four ounces or so later, my hands are itching again and my throat is swollen. I poured out the rest of the bottle just in case the reaction got worse.

Is it just the fermented yeast collected in those bottles? Because I don't have this type of reaction all the time. I am going to make an appointment with a doctor for next week, but this depresses me. Is it all beer, or just the more unfiltered ones with lots of sediment in them? I don't remember feeling like this after stouts or whatnot.

Ugh.

mcfrank

Not cool. I think I am developing an allergy to something, and I think it is yeast.

A month or so ago I had a small breakout on one of my hands, but wrote it off as dry skin or bug bites. Well, the spots showed back up last night, and then I had a small hive develop on the other arm. They went away a few hours later after I had my last beer, but my throat seemed swollen and scratchy before bed.

Well, tonight, my throat feels swollen again and the back of my hands itch again. The only thing in common? Beer.

Last night was a 2011 bottle of Three Philosophers, and there was a ton of yeast in the bottom of the bottle, and the pour was very hazy with a lot of sediment at the bottom.
Tonight was Molotov Cocktail Heavy. The first glass was fine, but when I poured the second half of the bomber it was hazy with visible floaters, and a lot of sediment at the bottom of the glass. Well, about four ounces or so later, my hands are itching again and my throat is swollen. I poured out the rest of the bottle just in case the reaction got worse.

Is it just the fermented yeast collected in those bottles? Because I don't have this type of reaction all the time. I am going to make an appointment with a doctor for next week, but this depresses me. Is it all beer, or just the more unfiltered ones with lots of sediment in them? I don't remember feeling like this after stouts or whatnot.

Ugh.

Might as well end it all.

Looked up a bit more about a yeast allergy. Just because I might have a yeast allergy doesn't mean I have celiac disease.

But I do have the white coated tongue which is a symptom of the yeast allergy. Ugh. Never look up stuff like WebMD late at night.

If it is just certain ingredients or yeast strains or whatever, I can cope. But damn, giving up beer or alcohol will be tough. But it would save me money.

Edit: I just started thinking, perhaps it is my glassware. I got some new pint glasses last month. They are printed on all sides and are hand wash only. (Star Wars stuff). Perhaps something in the material they print and coat the glass with? The dish rack maybe funky?

Ekdrm2d1

The Bruery and The Bruery Terreux is coming to Texas!

Question. What about Houston distribution? Spec's Liquors has locations in both Dallas and Austin so they could ship it to other Houston locations. What about straight distribution to Houston though?

Looked up a bit more about a yeast allergy. Just because I might have a yeast allergy doesn't mean I have celiac disease.

But I do have the white coated tongue which is a symptom of the yeast allergy. Ugh. Never look up stuff like WebMD late at night.

If it is just certain ingredients or yeast strains or whatever, I can cope. But damn, giving up beer or alcohol will be tough. But it would save me money.

Edit: I just started thinking, perhaps it is my glassware. I got some new pint glasses last month. They are printed on all sides and are hand wash only. (Star Wars stuff). Perhaps something in the material they print and coat the glass with? The dish rack maybe funky?

You could always try hydrating a packet of bakers yeast and sipping a small amount of that to see if it causes a reaction or finding a bottle of belgian beer or rogue beer with a solid yeast cake, decant off the majority of the beer and drink a little of the yeast slurry, that way you could rule out alcohol. If you mess around like this with possible allergens, probably should have some Benadryl or an EpiPen handy...

Mitch

Banned
The Bruery and The Bruery Terreux is coming to Texas!

Question. What about Houston distribution? Spec's Liquors has locations in both Dallas and Austin so they could ship it to other Houston locations. What about straight distribution to Houston though?
Of course this happens just as I am moving.

Drinking one of these tonight. Spotted it at Spec's and heard good things.

New brewery in Portland called Great Notion doing the hazy IPA gig. Good stuff.

SQPrs78.jpg

Juice Box and Juice, Jr. I'd previously had their Merry Dankster DIPA. Same basic idea as Trillium/Night Shift/Treehouse/etc., but had a bit more bitterness which I appreciated.

HiResDes

C'mon man. You know that's not what he was asking for.

Firestone Pivo Pils is probably more what he'd like.

Word, I like Pivo Pils too though, but I was just trying to be honest. Joe's Premium Pilsner ain't bad. Mama's Little Yella Pils is pretty good too. Jabby Brau by Jack's Abby Brewing is phenomenal but hard to find. And oh yeah and I was very pleasantly surprised by Sam Adam's Nobile Pils.

best light beer? also how is michalob ultra?

For light pilsners that are accessible all over, I'd say the Notch Session Pils is just a good, drinkable pils that you can find mostly everywhere. Wormtown Brewery recently came out with their Puxatawny Pils but it's seasonal and they don't have wide distribution outside the North East. I think the Victory Primo Pils is also good for a pilsner that's available all over the country, but it's one of my least favorite of the major craft brewer pilsners.

They're not "light" beers in that they're low calorie, though. I'm not sure what the best low calorie beer is, that typically comes down to what you're looking for in a low calorie beer. Mich Ultra is low calorie and very low carb, and so if you're looking for something to make your mouth wet that will have fewer calories than other beers, it'll do the trick. But, generally, if you want to drink and get a buzz going it's going to take so many mich ultras that you'll end up consuming just as many calories and perhaps not enjoying the drinking experience as much.

Word, I like Pivo Pils too though, but I was just trying to be honest. Joe's Premium Pilsner ain't bad. Mama's Little Yella Pils is pretty good too. Jabby Brau by Jack's Abby Brewing is phenomenal but hard to find. And oh yeah and I was very pleasantly surprised by Sam Adam's Nobile Pils.

I'm currently about ~8 minutes from the brewery if you want me to pick you up some and ship it :)

riotous

Banned
I have a few of last years Hellshire (Hellshire V.)

Been keeping my eye out but haven't seen Hellshire VI yet; they still have V around so not too worried about FOMO.

I have a few of last years Hellshire (Hellshire V.)

Been keeping my eye out but haven't seen Hellshire VI yet; they still have V around so not too worried about FOMO.

Hellshire is always underrated and under the radar. Nothing wrong with that.

Stoup's first bottle release, 4th Nail, is out. Should stop by and grab one today.

riotous

Banned
distant: I was sad I missed the Flying Bike bottle release; that Stoup 4th Nail sounds right up my alley.

Was up in Bellingham the other day; visited Aslan, Boundary Bay, Wander, Chuckanut and Structure Brewing.

Structure is really small and brand new but really impressed me with their coffee stout; Wander continues to be one of my favorites in WA. They are helping me branch out into sours as they do them fairly mildly and I love them. I have quite a few of their BA beers in my cellar as well.

Aslan Batch 15 and their Ginger Rye were both great. Didn't try anything at BB or Chuckanut because I needed a break but my friends seemed to enjoy them all. They were kinda wasted though lol.

distant: I was sad I missed the Flying Bike bottle release; that Stoup 4th Nail sounds right up my alley.

Was up in Bellingham the other day; visited Aslan, Boundary Bay, Wander, Chuckanut and Structure Brewing.

Structure is really small and brand new but really impressed me with their coffee stout; Wander continues to be one of my favorites in WA. They are helping me branch out into sours as they do them fairly mildly and I love them. I have quite a few of their BA beers in my cellar as well.

Aslan Batch 15 and their Ginger Rye were both great. Didn't try anything at BB or Chuckanut because I needed a break but my friends seemed to enjoy them all. They were kinda wasted though lol.

I really like Aslan's beer and their food.

Chuckanut makes amazing lagers and pilsners. Best in the state.

I had Structures' Iteration pale at Brouwers a few weeks ago. Seems like they're trying to do the hazy thing.

riotous

Banned
Yeah need to head back up there and stay the night; had to drive home so was limited to sipping on what my wife tried and took an extended break so I didn't drink at BB or Chuckanut.

Aslan did have really good food; and worked out since my wife is Vegan. Wander has a really cool spot too; big indoor and outdoor area.

Yeah need to head back up there and stay the night; had to drive home so was limited to sipping on what my wife tried and took an extended break so I didn't drink at BB or Chuckanut.

Aslan did have really good food; and worked out since my wife is Vegan. Wander has a really cool spot too; big indoor and outdoor area.

I've been to Kulshan once and Boundary Bay a million times, but never made it to Wander. My wife likes Aslan and I tend not to complain when she wants to go to a brewery on the way back from picking apples at Bellewood Orchards.

riotous

Banned
I've been to Kulshan once and Boundary Bay a million times, but never made it to Wander. My wife likes Aslan and I tend not to complain when she wants to go to a brewery on the way back from picking apples at Bellewood Orchards.

Hah; luckily my wife loves beer. It's why I buy a couple of everything because it all gets split with her for the most part.

We got WABL "passports" to encourage brewery stops.

Top Bottom