• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Socreges

Banned
My gf loves sours, chocolate porters and IPAs that are very citrusy. Basically anything with lots of flavour. Isn't hard to adapt when necessary. :)

BTW I spent another week in DC recently for work and got to try lots of beer that never makes it out west. Pretty overwhelming. Wish I'd taken notes, though I do remember having a nitro IPA from DC Brau which was tasty.

riotous

Banned
They sit on store shelves for weeks or months at a time; always irks me when there's no bottling date on an IPA.

They aren't terrible not fresh but since I'm not a huge fan in the first place I prefer something bottled within a couple weeks of drinking.

Mitch

Banned
Whenever I get beer, I always check the date. 90% of the time I get a pack that was canned a week prior. The last Yellow Rose IPA I got was bottled a few days prior, and that was extremely good.

IPAs last for about a week in my fridge for the most part anyway. The only time I had something a month old was when my girlfriend traded for me.

riotous

Banned
5zEqEEw.jpg

Delicious.

Well, after a week or so of no more reactions from beers, I had another one tonight. This time with a saison. Rabbid Rabbit to me precise. I finished the first glass from the bomber and soon felt nauseous and felt my throat starting to swell, and then my skin started itching. Needless to say, I poured the rest of the glass out after that. Ugh.

At least stouts and most IPAs aren't affecting me. I still haven't made an appointment to find which ingredient is fucking with me.

On a different note, Think Geek has their April Fools stuff up, and this is amazing.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ivov/?pfm=HP_FeaturedProducts_6_ivov

ivov_barpg.jpg

Almost every year, one or more of their joke products gets made into a real item because of demand. I feel this one will become a reality in a few months.

pa22word

Tried and true Celebrator, Prairie Ales Sour, and some local Okie beers.

Celebrator speaks for itself, Prairie Sour was awesome and I would recommend. Uroboros Stout from Anthem is mighty tasty, and Rough Tail IPA isn't bad for an IPA. All good beers *_*

Bottleworks tweeted this morning that they'd tapped a keg of 1996 Cantillon Kriek. Got excited and then remembered today's date.

No joke. They really tapped a keg of 1996 Cantillon Kriek today. Totally worth a $10 pour on my way home. Oldest beer I've ever had.

A local brewery did a distribution of their IPA where they hit a bunch of store the same day they bottled. Kinkader "Frame the Butcher" is now officially the best IPA in Nebraska. I love it when stuff like this happens!

Kjellson

I just found a plastic ball in a can of Boddington's Pub Ale. I googled it and apparently it's not a manufacturing error as I thought it would be. I have never heard of this before. Has anyone else experienced this?

Lotto

ZUSnezY.jpg

This showed up on my instagram feed today. Not an April Fool's thing. Didn't even realize you could brew beer with argon, sounds pretty cool, albeit kinda gimmicky. Apparently it makes the beer even more creamy than nitrogen. Wish I could try it but this place is about an hour and a half away from me, love all the stuff I've had from them (Bottle Logic) when I've gone up there in the past

Milchjon

Sampling the Omnipollo III Protein Shake IPA.

Tastes like a modern IPA with some added smoothness and a hint of dairy.

All in all, not too bad.

mcfrank

ZUSnezY.jpg

This showed up on my instagram feed today. Not an April Fool's thing. Didn't even realize you could brew beer with argon, sounds pretty cool, albeit kinda gimmicky. Apparently it makes the beer even more creamy than nitrogen. Wish I could try it but this place is about an hour and a half away from me, love all the stuff I've had from them (Bottle Logic) when I've gone up there in the past

If they still have next time I am at bottle logic I'll report back.

ZUSnezY.jpg

Argon is used as an inert filler gas for all kinds of stuff. Not really sure what it's doing here, though. It is about twice as soluble as nitrogen, but that means it's still only like 4% as soluble as CO2. The whole point of of using nitrogen to pour is that you can serve at higher pressure without overcarbing. I'd be happy to hear otherwise, but I can't think of anything argon would really do that adjusting the mix on your gas blender wouldn't.

Mantra: I remember you talking about Crux's crazy cork/cap/wax thing, so I smiled when I ran into this over the weekend.
Also, the cork was shity and broke into several pieces on the way out. But that [BANISHED] Better Off Red ended up being pretty tasty.

EDIT: Got my Goose Island reimbursement check for the tainted bottles from late last year. Wasn't there supposed to be a T-shirt or something, as well?

EDIT: Got my Goose Island reimbursement check for the tainted bottles from late last year. Wasn't there supposed to be a T-shirt or something, as well?
I got my shirt weeks before the check showed up. Simple plastic envelope. Maybe it's a size thing. I asked for a medium. I could see that size being in lower demand among beer dorks.

Local place where my friend is one of the brewers (Taft's Ale House) had their 1st anniversary party today. Released bottles of the imperial stout they brewed right before they opened and had in Four Roses barrels for the past year. $18/bottle but they do it right. It's really damn good too (can't say that about everything barrel-aged from the locals). First 100 people in when they opened the main bar got a free shirt. The Opening Day parade goes right outside their front door so they absolutely kill it on opening day. If you know how big Opening Day is in Cincinnati then you understand.

25639288713_8c37d842fd_c.jpg

HiResDes

Local place where my friend is one of the brewers (Taft's Ale House) had their 1st anniversary party today. Released bottles of the imperial stout they brewed right before they opened and had in Four Roses barrels for the past year. $18/bottle but they do it right. It's really damn good too (can't say that about everything barrel-aged from the locals). First 100 people in when they opened the main bar got a free shirt. The Opening Day parade goes right outside their front door so they absolutely kill it on opening day. If you know how big Opening Day is in Cincinnati then you understand.

Damn I was down there today too, should have stopped in

Hmnnnngggggg....

My wife loves BA stouts and she LOVES Four Roses.

Want my HotD glass?

Bread

Banned
I know Stone, Ballast Point, Coronado, and Ale Smith, what are some hidden gems in San Diego? Any good local sours or Goses?

Lotto

I know Stone, Ballast Point, Coronado, and Ale Smith, what are some hidden gems in San Diego? Any good local sours or Goses?

distantmantra covered some really good ones already, here's some smaller local places you should check out as well:

Duck Foot Brewing - Next door to Ballast Point and Pure Project. Fairly new but seem to know their craft. Last time I went here they didn't have many experimental beers, just a lot of solid beers for respective styles. I'd recommend just trying all their stuff with a flight. More beers: http://duckfootbeer.com/category/year-round/

Pure Project - Pretty new and almost feels like they're boarding the craft beer bandwagon (ie: their marketing seems trendy/hip) but they're really solid, check them out for sure, they're next to Ballast Point and Duckfoot. I believe they don't make any same beer more than once so once they tap out of something, that's it (I could be wrong on this so don't quote me on it!) Recommendation: If they still have their Valle Pura Vida i'd say try that, it's a blonde ale with ginger and valencia orange peel. Normally I'd find most beers with ginger go overboard but this one is nice, subtle and not overwhelming. More beers here: http://purebrewing.org/

Intergalactic Brewing - Closer to White Labs tasting room. They do tap a few sours once in a while (Strawberry Fraking Sour), not sure if they're bottling yet. They're small but they make good stuff. Recommendation: Space Oasis Coconut Porter, tastes exactly like you'd expect, no surprises here, chocolate with tasty hints of coconut. More beers here: http://www.intergalacticbrew.com/beer

Mike Hess Brewing - They've been getting more and more recognition over the years, expanded quite a bit too. Really like their Red Rye IPA, Habitus and Orange Honey Wheat. I really need to go back here, it's been too long, looking at their website it seems like they've come out with so many new beers for me to try. More beers: http://www.mikehessbrewing.com/beer/

The Lost Abbey and Toolbox Brewing (this place almost exclusively sells farmhouse ales/sours) are great as well.

HiResDes

Yo Wulver is so fucking good and we get it nearly all year round in Ohio, it's not quite the same as Backwoods Bastard but now I don't feel like I'll ever fret over the latter beer.

Top Bottom