• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Jarrod38

My girlfriend is picking two up for me as well. Unless they're out of stock by the time she gets to the bottle shop.

Where I bought it from they were sold out in like 15 minutes. The only way you got them were if you signed up for the owner's newsletter.

Jarnet87

Gonna call the ABC Liquor by my work tomorrow to see if they got any KBS, think it's starting to pop up in South FL. Otherwise I'll wait til Friday or Saturday and see if Total Wine or possibly Whole Foods has any. One or two bottles is all I need.

Stores here in Southern KY should get KBS tomorrow. It might be harder to get this year for me. Ever since the main beer guy at Liquor Barn quit and moved on their stocking times have gone in the shitter. Sometimes the stuff is up by mid afternoon on Wednesdays, sometimes it isn't up until Thursday. Before it was always out by 2pm at the latest, usually by 11am.

Chris R

Any major points of interest in Chicago proper that aren't Goose Island? If I have a free night and something is close to the transit I might have to visit while I'm there on work in two weeks.

Any major points of interest in Chicago proper that aren't Goose Island? If I have a free night and something is close to the transit I might have to visit while I'm there on work in two weeks.

Wisconsin is relatively close, and any shop right across the border will have New Glarus stuff.
From you wording I know that's too far. Sorry. :c

Mitch

Banned
Where I bought it from they were sold out in like 15 minutes. The only way you got them were if you signed up for the owner's newsletter.
They were sold out pretty quick.

Spec's Downtown in Houston will have some this Friday, but I won't even bother going. The line will wrap around the building before they open at 10AM.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window

Local Option is a pretty good time and Revolution isnt too far. Most stuff is on the North side. Hopleaf, Bangers & Lace and SmallBar are usually solid

HiResDes

I gotta say food pairings really bring out the goodness of some otherwise very mediocre beers. I just grabbed some smoked pork from the local best BBQ joint to throw in some Hawaiian sweet rolls and I was scouring the fridge for beer when I noticed my friend left his Leinenkugel sampler. So I decided to pull out the Big Butt Doppelbock for amusement mostly and I took sip and thought it was horribly watery and not flavorful enough to be a decent representation of the style...However, as I started taking bites of my sandwiches and going back to the beer I realized I had achieved perfect synergy. The slight sweet smoky maltiness of the Bock combined with its incredibly light body make for a match made in heaven.

9EfGlvt.jpg
New beers! Had my one bottle of Sucaba last weekend and loved it, so this goes right in the cellar.

I gotta say food pairings really bring out the goodness of some otherwise very mediocre beers. I just grabbed some smoked pork from the local best BBQ joint to throw in some Hawaiian sweet rolls and I was scouring the fridge for beer when I noticed my friend left his Leinenkugel sampler. So I decided to pull out the Big Butt Doppelbock for amusement mostly and I took sip and thought it was horribly watery and not flavorful enough to be a decent representation of the style...However, as I started taking bites of my sandwiches and going back to the beer I realized I had achieved perfect synergy. The slight sweet smoky maltiness of the Bock combined with its incredibly light body make for a match made in heaven.

Which would be? Don't say Eli's...

Welp, got my KBS for the year. One shop was selling it as four packs even though they only got one case. The guy said he just wants it over and done with and wants them gone as fast as possible so he doesn't have to hear about it anymore.

I don't think I'm gonna get KBS this year. I'm definitely not going to kill myself hunting over 1 bottle. I still have my Sunday Morning Stout.

This year's KBS is both better and worse than last year's version.

The body is definitely thicker than last year, which is a good thing. It still isn't like their Imperial Stout, but definitely thicker than the last batch of Breakfast Stout. That is an improvement over last year.

But this year the bourbon flavor is barely noticeable. The coffee and chocolate is coming through a lot stronger and overshadowing the bourbon more than usual. That is a decline from last year.

I managed to get 6 bottles of it with no effort (just walk in and ask, then walk away), but don't think I will make a point of going to the store when they get the shipment to get it next year. It is worth getting, but not worth making a special trip for it.

Having said that, I will be enjoying the rest of what I bought, and have a couple bottles stashed away to see how time treats it.

Lotto

Happy National Beer Day!

It's amusing to see how much fanfare it receives in this thread. A day that almost seems redundant. Anyways, I'm having some Romantic Chemistry from Dogfish Head. It's interesting to say the least... Mangoes, Apricots, and Ginger!

This year's KBS is both better and worse than last year's version.

The body is definitely thicker than last year, which is a good thing. It still isn't like their Imperial Stout, but definitely thicker than the last batch of Breakfast Stout. That is an improvement over last year.

But this year the bourbon flavor is barely noticeable. The coffee and chocolate is coming through a lot stronger and overshadowing the bourbon more than usual. That is a decline from last year.

I managed to get 6 bottles of it with no effort (just walk in and ask, then walk away), but don't think I will make a point of going to the store when they get the shipment to get it next year. It is worth getting, but not worth making a special trip for it.

Having said that, I will be enjoying the rest of what I bought, and have a couple bottles stashed away to see how time treats it.

I wasn't impressed with the 2015 one I hunted down a while back but I also managed to pick up a 2016 the other day... I'm keeping my expectations in check this time..

Eusis

Ahh, been feeling so shitty I forgot that Parabola should be showing up about now! Have there been any sightings of it? Am I too late once again?

I'm all for grabbing really good, less common Imperial Stouts.

Mitch

Banned
My girlfriend was able to snag me a bottle of KBS. So now I have that and Zombie Dust to drink next week.

I'd like to try Sunday Morning. Stouts are growing on me.

Diets are stupid...I want beer

Has anyone ever ordered some from an Ale house? Curious on what the shelf life is like. I've been to a few that offer the option of bottling your unfinished brew for you or ordering some in a growler to go.

Any opinions?

Diets are stupid...I want beer

Has anyone ever ordered some from an Ale house? Curious on what the shelf life is like. I've been to a few that offer the option of bottling your unfinished brew for you or ordering some in a growler to go.

Any opinions?

I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about. More details?

Jarnet87

I wonder how close Sunday Morning and Big Bad Baptist are to KBS now.

My girlfriend was able to snag me a bottle of KBS. So now I have that and Zombie Dust to drink next week.

I'd like to try Sunday Morning. Stouts are growing on me.

A lot of people think SMS is as good if not better then KBS. Doesn't hurt its not as expensive or hard to find. My personal preference having tried both is KBS. The Stout fever is dangerous, people go crazy over trying to get them or trade for them.

I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about. More details?

Hmm at some taverns where they brew their own beersin house, they allow you to purchase large quantities (64oz) in jugs. You can order a large jug and drink it during your meal or while you're hanging out. There is an option that if you purchase one of these you can keep the jug and use it again next time with a discounted cost to fill up. This same option is available if you decide to come in fill up and then head out.

I've purchased one but only enjoyed it while there. I was curious if anyone has ever done something along the lines of coming in filling up and taking the jug home. I'd imagine this option would only make sense if you plan on having a gathering at your house right away. I'd think the beer would be flat after awhile. Just curious if anyone has ever done this.

(I realized how I wrote it earlier might not have made any sense, and really wanted to simplify what I meant)

Hmm at some taverns where they brew their own beersin house, they allow you to purchase large quantities (64oz) in jugs. You can order a large jug and drink it during your meal or while you're hanging out. There is an option that if you purchase one of these you can keep the jug and use it again next time with a discounted cost to fill up. This same option is available if you decide to come in fill up and then head out.

I've purchased on but only enjoyed it while there. I was curious if anyone has ever done something along the lines of coming in filling up and taking the jug home. I'd imagine this option would only make sense if you plan on having a gathering at your house right away. I'd think the beer would be flat after awhile. Just curious if anyone has ever done this.

(I realized how I wrote it earlier might not have made any sense, and really wanted to simplify what I meant)
Plenty of places (even some grocery stores) do growler fills. I've never heard of one that let you drink half a growler onsite then just take the rest with you, though. At least in most of the US, there are open container laws that make that problematic for both the retailer and the customer. Generally, the retailer is required to seal the lid somehow.

But, yeah, you gotta drink it pretty quick. Not necessarily all in one sitting, but you're right that it will lose carbonation if you recap it. Consider, though, a half-gallon growler is only four pints. That's no problem to drink over a couple of evenings. And a stubby is only two pints. Easily drinkable in one sitting.

Scored my first and the nearest Whole Foods' last bottle of KBS in their possession. If I can't find anymore, I'm content with that. Also picked up a Del's Shandy because why not.

Jarnet87

Something's off then. Heard they're gonna sell it for 3.50€ (~$4) per bottle over here.

Maybe my info's wrong.

Store mark up.

Scored my first and the nearest Whole Foods' last bottle of KBS in their possession. If I can't find anymore, I'm content with that. Also picked up a Del's Shandy because why not.

I was gonna check a Whole Foods near my house that has a good selection but I'll pass after having my one bottle of KBS last night. Agree with Phonicplebone on the lack of bourbon in it. I believe I had 2013 or 2014 on tap and liked that year better, but could just be a change of taste for me. I was definitely more of a stout and malt bomb fan 3 years ago compared to now where I mostly drink IPA and APAs. Enjoyed it but glad I did not go hunting for it or buy a 4 pack because I would have caved.

Ron Mexico

The SMS variants are absolutely incredible. There's one with espresso and one with cacao nibs and lactose. Both easily surpassed KBS for me. That said, always enjoyed Founders' stuff but I've been feeling lately like the chase becomes more important than the beer itself. I don't know.

Had half a bottle of this year's Parabola last night, and it was pretty stellar. Putting the other bottle down in the basement next to my 2015 bottle.

I've purchased one but only enjoyed it while there. I was curious if anyone has ever done something along the lines of coming in filling up and taking the jug home. I'd imagine this option would only make sense if you plan on having a gathering at your house right away. I'd think the beer would be flat after awhile. Just curious if anyone has ever done this.

Ok, I get it now. Any place that does growler fills around here won't let you drink them on site, so that's what confused me.

Most places also offer mini growlers which are only 32 oz.

Badgerst3

Having my first KBS. Found 2 bottles in north San Diego county.

Gotta say- a little underwhelmed. It's good no doubt but I don't think it holds a candle to Lost Abbeys Track 8.

Maybe I was hoping for a bit more sweetness.

HiResDes

Having my first KBS. Found 2 bottles in north San Diego county.

Gotta say- a little underwhelmed. It's good no doubt but I don't think it holds a candle to Lost Abbeys Track 8.

Maybe I was hoping for a bit more sweetness.

Track 8 isn't even the same type of thing

Badgerst3

Track 8 isn't even the same type of thing

I know Track 8 is a strong ale, maybe closer to an Imperial, but the barrel aged and sweetness factor seemed similar.

I am just a "novice". Was just commenting on my opinion of 2 beers that I tried that seemed alike. They are expansions from my Miller Lite college days.

Holy shit Live Oak Hefeweizen is incredible, been wanting to try it for years and a friend visiting from Texas brought me a six pack today. Definitely the best hefeweizen I've ever had, kinda like a perfected Sierra Nevada Kellerweis. Wish I had so many more of these.

Top Bottom