• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Meijer sells Dragons Milk 4 packs for $17. Just $1 more than Liquor Barn here.
Meanwhile, Meijer usually has singles of Dragons Milk for $2.35 each. Gee, lemme think of which is the better deal.

ccbfan

I used to hate IPAs (Mainly Stone, Lagunitas, Ballast Point) but I have seen the light with New England style IPAs. (Mainly Trillium, Treehouse, Sip of Sunshine and Maine).

All these are amazing.

Anyone from New English should definitely try some of these. They're relatively easy to get too if you're willing to drive a couple hours and stock up. Especially Trillium (Got 12 25oz bottles in fridge right now).

On vacation in Kauai right now. Been to one of the breweries so far, Kauai Island Brewery. Pretty ok beers, the other one, Kauai Beer Company is supposed to be the better one, probably going tomorrow to check it out.

Aside from a couple shops up on the North Shore, the wine shops (where you normally find beer) don't have much. Did see $35 Cascade bottles in Princeville with a big disclaimer of "these beers are sour. No refunds." That was good for a laugh.

noomi

Scored a few bottles of KBS. Will probably end up selling a few of them...

Drank one and wasn't at all impressed with it (this was my first KBS). It tasted like a slightly stronger version of Breaktfast Stout to me.

I'm a big fan of Goose Island Bourbon County, and was hoping that KBS would be similar but I couldn't even detect any bourbon in it :(

Can anyone recommend any other stouts that would be similar to Goose Island Bourbon County Stout

HiResDes

Scored a few bottles of KBS. Will probably end up selling a few of them...

Drank one and wasn't at all impressed with it (this was my first KBS). It tasted like a slightly stronger version of Breaktfast Stout to me.

I'm a big fan of Goose Island Bourbon County, and was hoping that KBS would be similar but I couldn't even detect any bourbon in it :(

Can anyone recommend any other stouts that would be similar to Goose Island Bourbon County Stout

A Night To End All Dawns, The Abyss, Parabola, Boulevard Imperial Stout, Evil Twin Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Biscotti Break, Hands Vol. 1, Lift Bridge Barrel-Aged Silhouette Imperial Stout, Brewer's Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout, Barrel Aged BORRIS, Black Tuesday, Bourbon Barrel Plead the 5th, Birth Of Tragedy, Barrel Aged Yeti, BA Bourbon Hunahpu, The Lost Abbey's Deliverance, BA Dark Apparition, BA Blackout Stout, BA Abraxas, BA Speedway Stout, Bo and Luke, Snowed In, Assassin, SR-71, Silva Stout, W00tstout, Uncle Jacob's Stout,etc.

The better question is where are you and what can you get your hands on...Most aren't easy to score, but to score local stuff BA stuff if you have the option

noomi

A Night To End All Dawns, The Abyss, Parabola, Boulevard Imperial Stout, Evil Twin Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Biscotti Break, Hands Vol. 1, Lift Bridge Barrel-Aged Silhouette Imperial Stout, Brewer's Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout, Barrel Aged BORRIS, Black Tuesday, Bourbon Barrel Plead the 5th, Birth Of Tragedy, Barrel Aged Yeti, BA Bourbon Hunahpu, The Lost Abbey's Deliverance, BA Dark Apparition, BA Blackout Stout, BA Abraxas, BA Speedway Stout, Bo and Luke, Snowed In, Assassin, SR-71, Silva Stout, W00tstout, Uncle Jacob's Stout,etc.

The better question is where are you and what can you get your hands on...Most aren't easy to score, but to score local stuff BA stuff if you have the option

Wow, thats quite the list there haha! I'm in New Jersey so I'm not sure what would be available in my area realistically.

Some nice, new beers today: 10 Barrel's Cucumber Crush, Off Color Brewing's Dino S'mores, and Samuel Smith's Yorkshire Stingo. Cucumber Crush should work great while grilling burgers tonight.

j27DyqF.jpg

HiResDes

I looked through a list on seek a brew and found these beers can be had in your state at one time or another:

Old Rasputin XVII BA
BA Narwhal
BA Gonzo by Flying Dog
Ten Fidy Whiskey Barrel
Silva Stout
Bourbon Street Imperial by Abita
High West-ified by Lagunitas
BA Old Abominable by Stoudts
BA Russian Imperial by Otter Creek
BA DORIS by Hoppin Frog
BA BORIS by Hoppin Frog
Siren Noire by Heavy Seas
Black Tuesday by The Bruery
Imperial Stout by Boulevard
Uncle Jacob's Stout by Avery
BA Javahorn by Bolero Snort
Grande Negro by Voodoo
Shipwreck Porter by Arcadia
BA Zekes by Brewers Art
BBA Drago by Wild Onion
Retribution by Duclaw
Imperial Eclipse by Fifty Fifty
Deliverance by The Lost Abbey
BA Double Negative by Grimm Artisanal

PG2G

Wow, thats quite the list there haha! I'm in New Jersey so I'm not sure what would be available in my area realistically.

Kane is in NJ and makes some of the best BA stouts out there (A Night to End all Dawn's and variants). Typically brewery only and not that easy to get though. They are amazing beers though.

Badgerst3

This man knows his beer. Felt the same was as you ref KBS.

Realized I preferred the sweeter bourbon aged imperial stouts.

Discovered Abyss and Parabola this past week. Of the 2- much preferred Parabola. Really well balanced with that sweet ending. Not easy to find or cheap- Abyss seems more readily available (So Cal) but really good.

Maybe tied with Lost Abbey Track 8 as my favorite "treat myself" BA Imperial Stout

Mitch

Banned
Had quite a few new beers this past weekend.

KBS lived up to the hype for me. Wish I had more than one.

Zombie Dust, while not as good as Alpha King IMO, was a superb beer.

Last night I had Bell's Two Hearted, which drank more like a pale ale. $12 for a sixer was pretty steep.

Putzweg

So do anyone here read Dont Drink Beer? What is he/shes status in the US craft beer community? Seems like quite the power factor? Quite funny from time to time but i can understand if people get bored of him/her.

Quite relieving hearing Dont Drink Beer hating on all these 12 % coconut stouts and "ultra limited" brews. Anyhow...anyone tried Konkey Dang? Feck, the name, the can, gets me everytime...and DDB:s review is hilarious.

So do anyone here read Dont Drink Beer? What is he/shes status in the US craft beer community? Seems like quite the power factor? Quite funny from time to time but i can understand if people get bored of him/her.

Quite relieving hearing Dont Drink Beer hating on all these 12 % coconut stouts and "ultra limited" brews. Anyhow...anyone tried Konkey Dang? Feck, the name, the can, gets me everytime...and DDB:s review is hilarious.

Never heard of it. Based on your post, I assume it's a blogger/YouTuber?

Also, anyone who hates on "12 % coconut stouts and "ultra limited" brews" is not to be trusted or supported.

Putzweg

Never heard of it. Based on your post, I assume it's a blogger/YouTuber?

Also, anyone who hates on "12 % coconut stouts and "ultra limited" brews" is not to be trusted or supported.

Its some super snobbish beer blogger who apparantly gets gifted boat loads of super rare beer every week, and ends up dissing them truly hard about half the times.

For instance this is his latest gift

mead5.jpg

and before that he received this:

img_7858.jpg

I think he's fairly entertaining. And I think it's worthwhile to take the piss out of the scene a little. There's quite a lot of circle-jerk that goes on in the beer world and having somebody with some influence call that out from time to time helps keep people grounded.

riotous

Banned
I follow dontdrinkbeers (the non plural was taken I guess) on Instagram. He's OK I guess; posts a lot of "meme" like pictures that I don't find very funny (and aren't beer related, which sometimes makes me want to unfollow). I like comedy "taking the piss" things like Honest Trailers but other than reading a lot of short beer reviews I don't follow the beer scene enough to really enjoy the comedy I guess.

Getting free beers must be nice; most of my instagram posts get 200-400 likes but haven't had any free beer offers lol.

SUPERHYPERMEGA

Neo Member
We got any porter boys here?

Searching for a beer I had that was sold by the half at around £4 because it was quite heavy (7%+ I think). I think it had bramble or berry or bush in the name which is appropriate because it was full of berry flavour.

I fucking love a porter.

skynidas

Banned
We got any porter boys here?

Searching for a beer I had that was sold by the half at around £4 because it was quite heavy (7%+ I think). I think it had bramble or berry or bush in the name which is appropriate because it was full of berry flavour.

I fucking love a porter.

Do you know where the brewery was from? UK? Europe? US?

Ron Mexico

Carton's All Orange Everything is getting hyped beyond reason, anybody checked it out...

I must be in the super majority that really just can't stand Carton's beers. Doesn't help that Augie Carton is well...not going to go there on 2nd thought.

I've done Boat, 077XX, BDG, some gose from them, the prickly pear and it's all been the same for me. There's numerous other breweries in Jersey alone I'd recommend first. Backward Flag, Forgotten Boardwalk, Flying Fish, Kane (of course), even Village Idiot and Spellbound I'd do in a heartbeat first.

That said, if anyone wants Carton's stuff, I'm a 45-minute drive away. Would welcome trades, etc or even just cover shipping. Not looking to get anything more than my cost.

5F4EA643-0ECB-4447-9628-540B7890B73B.jpg

While I was crowlerless on Kauai, my parents happened to be on Maui and brought this back for me. Mosaic Mo Betta IPA. Really nice. So nice I drank the whole thing in the 80 degree Seattle heat.

ShinAmano

So Richmond just got a new brewery on Saturday called The Veil...their dipa Crucial Taunt is among the best I have ever had. Happy to be in rva :)

Picked up a 4 pack of Founder's Sumatra Mountain Brown. An imperial brown ale brewed with Sumatra coffee. Bottled 11 days ago. That sounds amazing, and I know what I will be having tomorrow night.

PG2G

Never heard of All Orange Everything, is it an Other Half collab?

Edit: Yeah it is, which probably explains the hype

Chris R

Oh man, O'Hare has beer in to go cups. Every airport should do this. No crowding in crappy airport bars, just half way decent beer and CNN

riotous

Banned
Avery making some good beers. Had a bunch over the past few weeks and haven't had a bad one yet.

They really are an excellent brewery; I have some beers of their's from as far back as '06.

2014 Tweak is just crazy good; definitely snatch some up if you can find it.

Never heard of All Orange Everything, is it an Other Half collab?

Edit: Yeah it is, which probably explains the hype

I love how Other Half's just been touring around and fucking shit up. If you told me a couple years ago that Monkish was going to release a hazy IPA in cans that people in LA lined up for in the rain I'd have laughed my ass off but here we are.

I love how Other Half's just been touring around and fucking shit up. If you told me a couple years ago that Monkish was going to release a hazy IPA in cans that people in LA lined up for in the rain I'd have laughed my ass off but here we are.

Other Half was here in Seattle last week. Monkish will be at the same place in May for Seattle Beer Week.

Chris R

Noble Ale Works in Anaheim is a blast. Prices are great, beer is good (tart cherry on nitro delicious)

Only bummer is no outdoor drinking. Like wtf. It's in an industrial park but still, do whatever you need to have a patio for the weekends at least.

Heading to Oklahoma City in a couple of weeks. Other than TapWerks, which looks incredible, any other suggestions of breweries/bars I should swing by?

Considering making the 90-minute drive to Prairie Artisan Ales up in Tulsa.

Mitch

Banned
My girlfriend and I may go to Hoof Hearted's latest release. They're doing an imperial coffee stout. We'll get the allotted packs and trade all but one. So if I do end up going, I'll trade with anyone interested.

This past week was crazy for new beers. I had quite a few, plus one I haven't tried yet.

Platform - Speed Merchant (draft)
Fatheads - Iko Iko English Style IPA (draft)
Hoof Hearted - Everybody Wants Some "Vic Secret" (draft)
Columbus - Bodhi (draft)
Columbus - Creeper (sample)
3 Floyds - Dreadnaught (bottle)
Jackie O's - Hop Ryot (can)

I bought a bottle of Lagunitas Waldos' yesterday, along with a 4 pack of Rico Sauvin from Against The Grain. I'll dig into those on Wednesday probably.

Looking at their 212 beers on tap really shows how poor Oklahhoma's distribution is. There were a few things that looked good for sure, but lots of meh.

Agreed. I was expecting a whole bunch more Oklahoma beers, not Rogue shit I can get back home at any Safeway.

Maybe they'll add a bunch of Prairie and other local beers between now and when I get there.

Top Bottom