• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Putzweg

oypxqijqubyw7nsb4lmc.jpg

Drinking this at the moment, Glazen Toren Saison d’Erpe-Mere. Brewed by this gentleman:

de-glazen-toren.jpg

Probably the best saison ive drank beside Saison Dupont. Just amazingly well balanced, especially regarding the bitterness.

However, its not always one likes a balanced saison, in which case i think vieille Ville saison is great. Its like drinking a damn farm, it just taste and smell hay, grass and chicken.

120 Minute showed up in town today, so got what I could at one store. Then I drove to another across town to see if they had some, and they actually had some 2014 Abyss on the shelf. The owner said they found the box in the back of a storage room the other day and he was shocked to see it. That was a lucky find.

I'll be in downtown San Francisco next week with just a little time to explore. Any recommendations? I've had and enjoyed Anchor so that may be a requirement, but otherwise I'm open to suggestions for breweries in the downtown area.

thabiz

oypxqijqubyw7nsb4lmc.jpg

Drinking this at the moment, Glazen Toren Saison d’Erpe-Mere. Brewed by this gentleman:

de-glazen-toren.jpg

Probably the best saison ive drank beside Saison Dupont. Just amazingly well balanced, especially regarding the bitterness.

However, its not always one likes a balanced saison, in which case i think vieille Ville saison is great. Its like drinking a damn farm, it just taste and smell hay, grass and chicken.

I'm going to have to track this down. Good looks.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Was in Amsterdam a couple of weeks ago and tried some beers from Brouwerij t'ij. Some of the nicest beers I've ever tasted in my life. I really hope they start exporting soon, if you can get hold f ANY of their beers I'd go for it.

Anyone going to DLD tomorrow? I hope to hear rainstorm/mud people stories.

Was in Amsterdam a couple of weeks ago and tried some beers from Brouwerij t'ij. Some of the nicest beers I've ever tasted in my life. I really hope they start exporting soon, if you can get hold f ANY of their beers I'd go for it.

e81edb560463c64a74f37ed628aabd23_raw.jpg

I really liked their Mosaic/Galaxy pale wheat ale that I had in Amsterdam over the summer. Super solid.

Anyone going to DLD tomorrow? I hope to hear rainstorm/mud people stories.

And if anyone is traveling to that area for it, make sure to make the trip up to Wisconsin for New Glarus. You can get their stuff right across the state line and everything they make is great.

Still bitter that I didn't get a ticket even though I was waiting on the site right when they went live.

Zimmy64

You probably shouldn't force yourself.

I definitely don't. I only drink for taste and if something doesn't taste good I won't drink it. When I say I don't like beer my friends say I'm drinking the wrong beer. There seems to be a lot of different beers so I think there might be some truth to that.

ccbfan

I definitely don't. I only drink for taste and if something doesn't taste good I won't drink it. When I say I don't like beer my friends say I'm drinking the wrong beer. There seems to be a lot of different beers so I think there might be some truth to that.

Stouts/porters especially milk ones.

Try shake chocolate porter from Boulder beer

So... what have you had before?

Cellarmaker for sure.

I intend to make my way out there tomorrow night hopefully. Tonight I ended up at Thirsty Bear and 21st Amendment. Would recommend both, but 21st was pretty consistent with the three that I tried.

That said, Panda Bear was very unique and delicious at Thirsty. The best way I could put it is that it tastes like hot cocoa if it was cold and alcoholic. Very good.

The Hell or High Watermelon was the highlight at 21st though the North Star Red was very good as well. The watermelon beer was surprisingly good and not too in your face with the watermelon flavor. It also tasted very natural and not a "fake" watermelon flavor.

Ron Mexico

So I accepted a new job that will have me training outside of DC for 3 weeks (out near New Carrolton station). Anyone have suggestions on places to hit while I'm down there? I live outside of Philly so the best of DC I've had thus far is DC Brau.

A friend that went to dark lord day told me that they now have a new meter in which to judge shitshows. Don't think they will go back.
Seems there's a pretty wide range of personal experience at work there. I was there and found it to be about the best organized that DLD has ever been. Weather not withstanding, everything ran rather smoothly. And even the weather wasn't as big of a deal as last year. They did a lot of work to help the mud situation in comparison.

I'll probably be back.

ShinAmano

Seems there's a pretty wide range of personal experience at work there. I was there and found it to be about the best organized that DLD has ever been. Weather not withstanding, everything ran rather smoothly. And even the weather wasn't as big of a deal as last year. They did a lot of work to help the mud situation in comparison.

I'll probably be back.
I miss3d out this year...will be back next year. Have any to trade? Btw what variants did you get? Pics?

I miss3d out this year...will be back next year. Have any to trade? Btw what variants did you get? Pics?
I got Quit Hitting Yourself (Madeira and Port barrel) and my buddy got Dwarven Power Bottom (Muscat). We were group C, so the bourbon and vanilla variants were all gone, of course. But I think sweet wine barrels could add something nice to DL. Wine Barrel Noir does that and it's one of my favorite barrel stouts. Unfortunately, I've got enough other friends that couldn't make it so most of my allotment is pretty much accounted for already.

The variant labels are pretty cool, though. If I can remember, I'll get a photo and post it when I get home from work.

Open_Speed

Neo Member
I thought DLD was great. This was our second year - both times down pouring rain - and we had a great time. We had a friend with us who got really sick with a sinus infection/flu, so we took one for the team and left earlier than usual. The two of us in group C ended up with the regular bourbon barrel. I was surprised to see it available, sounds like it must have run out shortly after. My friend in group A got the French Vanilla Militia, I'm excited to try that whenever he opens it up. As he walked out, someone offered him $300 for it, he passed.

We got to try the Dwarven Power Bottom on the south gate taps, it was very good. I think all the wine aged ones should be pretty close, so you should like it a lot.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Man, $300 for a bottle of beer...Never.

Got to try the special coffee that my friend bought. Really good (not $50 good, but still). Maybe I'll try 2016 Dark Lord and like it, but previous years haven't done it for me.

Man, $300 for a bottle of beer...Never.

Got to try the special coffee that my friend bought. Really good (not $50 good, but still). Maybe I'll try 2016 Dark Lord and like it, but previous years haven't done it for me.
The bottled Dark Matter cold brew? That was $12 for a bomber (or 4 for $40), if I recall. I'm not a coffee guy, but my buddy got several bottles and says it's worth it.

And yeah, Dark Lord itself is kinda meh most years, though the variants are almost all great. For me, DLD is really more about just going out and having a good time sharing beers with people I don't see very often. That said, last year's Dark Lord was pretty tasty. I had some of the current batch at the festival of course. But having been drinking somewhat steadily for the previous 36 hours, I can't really give it a fair assessment until I open a bottle at home.

ShinAmano

I got Quit Hitting Yourself (Madeira and Port barrel) and my buddy got Dwarven Power Bottom (Muscat). We were group C, so the bourbon and vanilla variants were all gone, of course. But I think sweet wine barrels could add something nice to DL. Wine Barrel Noir does that and it's one of my favorite barrel stouts. Unfortunately, I've got enough other friends that couldn't make it so most of my allotment is pretty much accounted for already.

The variant labels are pretty cool, though. If I can remember, I'll get a photo and post it when I get home from work.
Cool...those are the two I was most interested in tbh...snagged a marshmallow hanjee and need to find a French Vanilla but those two are on my radar

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The bottled Dark Matter cold brew? That was $12 for a bomber (or 4 for $40), if I recall. I'm not a coffee guy, but my buddy got several bottles and says it's worth it.

And yeah, Dark Lord itself is kinda meh most years, though the variants are almost all great. For me, DLD is really more about just going out and having a good time sharing beers with people I don't see very often. That said, last year's Dark Lord was pretty tasty. I had some of the current batch at the festival of course. But having been drinking somewhat steadily for the previous 36 hours, I can't really give it a fair assessment until I open a bottle at home.

He said something he bought was $50, but maybe he was wrong. It was really good whatever it was. If it was only $12/bomber, that's fair.

I've never tried a variant for DL. The year I went (2012), there were only 2 types left (pepper and something else). Wasn't interested so I sold my "golden ticket" to a dude in line for $50.

HiResDes

Cool...those are the two I was most interested in tbh...snagged a marshmallow hanjee and need to find a French Vanilla but those two are on my radar

The trade value the Marshmallow joint is receiving is ridiculous. Also been really surprised at the value of BA Scotty Karate considering it's so common around here and it's really not superior the regular Scotty in any facet in my opinion.

The trade value the Marshmallow joint is receiving is ridiculous. Also been really surprised at the value of BA Scotty Karate considering it's so common around here and it's really not superior the regular Scotty in any facet in my opinion.
Really? I've tried BA Scotty. Wasn't really even that impressed. You're right that regular Scotty is better. Goes to show that fashion influences everything, I guess.

One of my favorite moments at Dark Lord Day was when a dude behind me in the kebab truck line offered me $40 for a spare bottle of my homebrew. He poured me a sample of Yer Bu and I offered him some of my Lemongrass Cucumber Gose. It had been going over pretty well with everyone and I was getting some pretty good compliments, but there's something about somebody putting their money where their mouth to reinforce the opinion. I didn't sell, incidentally. It was more important for me to spread it around. Dude was a little disappointed, but he seemed to understand.

ShinAmano

BVDL always commands a high trade value...and this year's art is just incredible.

sorry i missed it

08NUdoi.jpg

looks like a blast

Depending on what time of day it was, if you looked directly to the right of where this photo was taken, you may have seen a puddle of my barf. I overdid it a bit at the Marriott share the night before. Horked up a bellyful of earl grey that I was trying to keep down. But you know, I felt much better after. If you gotta puke, there's nothing like puking to make you feel better.

Cheers to the dude who poured me a splash of Bomb to bring me back around.

Not sure if it's on the patrons or the organisers,probably both, but that's disgusting. Have some respect.

It's a half-mile standing line with no appreciable disposal facilities. People line up way before the festival opens, they share some bottles, and they set them down when they're empty. Not that I condone it, but it's just kind of the way of DLD. It's actually kind of interesting to see what people have been sharing as you work your way through the line. The local police are fairly tolerant of it and Floyds employs a pretty big crew to clean the whole thing up after.

thabiz

You'd think they would pay for receptacles also, but I doubt it would stop it fully, so your still paying for the clean up.

Jarnet87

the Treehouse thirst is real. Maybe I should trade for some Hoof Hearted, Carton or Other Half and just wait for this Treehouse madness to blow over.

I'll probably be back.

They aren't the best at handling "unorganized" or crowded events. It's probably a good thing that I didn't get a ticket since I would have went with them and would have wanted to stay all day.

Also they were kind of butthurt that all the variants they wanted were long gone.

johnsmith

remember me
So I've never seen this beer before, and being Mexican decided to try it. Big mistake, this shit is Corona tier, and was skunked as hell. Avoid. The only mainstream Mexican beers worth a damn remain Victoria and Negra Modelo.

56f0092b2d07d.image.jpg

In FL for two days, and no time to seek anything of note out. But I was happy to see the store near the hotel had Weyerbacher. No Sunday Morning Stout, but I will take Blasphemy. Oh, how I missed this brewery since leaving CT in 2014.

HiResDes

In FL for two days, and no time to seek anything of note out. But I was happy to see the store near the hotel had Weyerbacher. No Sunday Morning Stout, but I will take Blasphemy. Oh, how I missed this brewery since leaving CT in 2014.
No Cigar City man, would have driven to trade for some of that lol

Top Bottom