• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Zona

In FL for two days, and no time to seek anything of note out. But I was happy to see the store near the hotel had Weyerbacher. No Sunday Morning Stout, but I will take Blasphemy. Oh, how I missed this brewery since leaving CT in 2014.

Their Merry Monks is fantastic, so long as I remember the ABV and don't finish off a six-pack in a sitting. Between them and Ommegang the North East dose some fantastic Belgian style beers.

Their Merry Monks is fantastic, so long as I remember the ABV and don't finish off a six-pack in a sitting. Between them and Ommegang the North East dose some fantastic Belgian style beers.
Merry Monks was one of my go to beers when I lived in CT. Great stuff.

lzwQeyo.jpg

Holy Mountain releases from last weekend.

Liquor Barn had London Balling in the new 16oz. Cans. The sign said $8.99 16oz can. But they didn't remove the top holding them together as a four pack.
So the four packs were ringing up $8.99.

So I bought two four packs. I wonder how long before they figured out they fucked up.

EDIT: Is London Balling no longer bourbon barrel aged like before? It doesn't mention it on the cans, and it tastes different than before.

HiResDes

Liquor Barn had London Balling in the new 16oz. Cans. The sign said $8.99 16oz can. But they didn't remove the top holding them together as a four pack.
So the four packs were ringing up $8.99.

So I bought two four packs. I wonder how long before they figured out they fucked up.

EDIT: Is London Balling no longer bourbon barrel aged like before? It doesn't mention it on the cans, and it tastes different than before.

Even the old version spent less than 3 months in a barrel...

Jarnet87

$30 for this year's Sierra Beer Camp mixed 12? Really going for the Ballast Point pricing on this one I see.

the beers looked interesting but I'll pass for that price.

Been drinking 21st Amendment's Hell or High Watermelon. Super refreshing wheat ale. good beer for the warm weather.

Starting my fourth day visiting Oklahoma City, and thanks to the recommendations here, I've hit some wonderful places, and had a whole great of incredible beers. Found a place with KBS '16, and it was OK, I guess. Nothing special.

Stopped by a beer/wine shop, and also grabbed these bottles.

Anyone have recommendations as how to best pack them in airplane luggage so that they survive the trip home?

Anyone have recommendations as how to best pack them in airplane luggage so that they survive the trip home?

Ziploc bags and either buy some bubble wrap or wrap them up in your clothes. Also prepare for your luggage to be inspected. Make sure you use TSA locks or they'll just cut it. Could put some electrical tape around the caps too to minimize potential leakage. I always did that when trading.

ShinAmano

Ziploc bags and either buy some bubble wrap or wrap them up in your clothes. Also prepare for your luggage to be inspected. Make sure you use TSA locks or they'll just cut it. Could put some electrical tape around the caps too to minimize potential leakage. I always did that when trading.
That should do it.

So...anyone pick up Ronaldo or French Vanilla at dark lord day and want to swap?

Starting my fourth day visiting Oklahoma City, and thanks to the recommendations here, I've hit some wonderful places, and had a whole great of incredible beers. Found a place with KBS '16, and it was OK, I guess. Nothing special.

Stopped by a beer/wine shop, and also grabbed these bottles.

Wrap them in a plastic bag and some clothes. I've never had a bottle break.

riotous

Banned
Had the chance to get some KBS but the cost was high; so many great alternatives I really can't imagine it tastes any better than the array of BBA stouts I've had.

I'd love to try it don't get me wrong but with beers like Tweak readily available here in multiple vintages (still see 2014 bottles around) I'm not in a huge hurry.

Thanks! Grabbed some gallon-sized Ziploc bags, electrical tape and some bubble wrap. Should do the trick.

Jarnet87

Thanks! Grabbed some gallon-sized Ziploc bags, electrical tape and some bubble wrap. Should do the trick.

Only thing I would add to what Ern said is don't pack them too close together and make sure you cushion the edges, but it should be more then fine with bubble wrap and wrapped in clothes.

Traded some Funnky Buddha for some Trillium. Got 2 mosaic dry hopped fort point, one dry hopped melcher street and one dry hopped sleeper street. excited to dig in this weekend

Nothing really new showed up in town this week, unfortunately. But, I spotted some Evil Twin Freudian Slip in the cooler at one place tonight and was happy to find it again after a few years.

Lo and behold, when I get home and read the bottle code, it is from 2014. Happy day indeed.

tmac456

Looks like a swell time

sorry i missed it

08NUdoi.jpg

looks like a blast

it is. i recommend any big craft beer enthusiast to try and experience at least one Dark Lord Day. it may not be for everyone, obviously, but the bottle shares while waiting to get in and throughout the day are pretty damn epic. you meet some great people, eat really good food and try even more amazing beers on tap. it's worth it.

ShinAmano

Anyone in Athens GA? I am looking for a proxy for creature comforts existence release. I'll buy the tickets you keep one bottle and ship me the glass and other bottle...I'll pay shipping and send you some hardywood foolery as a thank you.

Ticket sales are at 1pm today so hit me up soon.

HiResDes

Had the chance to get some KBS but the cost was high; so many great alternatives I really can't imagine it tastes any better than the array of BBA stouts I've had.

I'd love to try it don't get me wrong but with beers like Tweak readily available here in multiple vintages (still see 2014 bottles around) I'm not in a huge hurry.

Big Bad Baptist is readily available and I'd even put it on the level of this years KBS.

So....

There's a brand new de Garde beer on tap at Holy Mountain right now. Super dry saison with some sort of mystery fruit in it. Nice Seattle Beer Week surprise.

Holding off on my checkin for a while, let it stay quiet before everyone flocks. Most people are probably at Brouwers for Stout Fest.

What's the word on this year's Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Across America variety pack? Any good?

I've heard it's pretty middle of the road for the most part, but people seem to like the brown ale.

Kind of a bummer with Bale Breaker, Barley Browns, Melvin and Black Raven involved with Moxee Moron.

Had them all last night. None are bad, nothing really stood out. They were a pretty decent way to start a bottle share however...

That looks like a mighty fine bottle share! Thanks for the feedback!

On another note, all four bottles survived the trip home to Oregon from Oklahoma City. Exciting!

In Asheville for vacation. So far, I've sampled New Belgium, Wicked Weed, Burial, Catawba, Brahmari, Asheville Brewing, Green Man, One World, and Twin Leaf. Not a single disappointment. Come here if you can!

Awesome thanks guys.

I haven't been to DC since 2012, I've heard that the beer scene has grown a lot since then. It was basically DC Brau and Capitol City Brewing back then. I had a beer at Churchkey as well, it's kinda the old guard beer place in the city.

Edit: My brother in law gave me 3 Star's Peppercorn Saison for Christmas. It was good, and they're also in DC.

I'm clearing some old homebrew out of the fridge this evening. First up was an imperial milk stout with cocoa, vanilla, and pasilla chile. Could do way worse for unlabeled mystery beer. Then a schwarz I found way in the back that a friend made like a year ago. That got me primed up to open a bomber of Belgian Dark Strong from 2014. At like 10.5%, it's probably not the best third beer of the evening, but such are the decisions we make after having a couple already.

Top Bottom