• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Been a while since I chimed in.

Wife and I were in Hawaii for two weeks and we stopped by Maui Brewing Co. and Kauai Island Brewing Co. Picked up a super nice insulated SS growler from Maui Brewing ($55 was too good to pass up...also got one for my friend who watched our dogs for a few days while we were gone). The list at both breweries were great - got a sampler from each place. Maui was 6 samples (so my wife and I each got 6 different beers) and Kauai was 5 (they also had 3 beers not listed on their menu).

I was super impressed with both places. Each had some really amazing selections. I was originally under the impression that the beer selection in Hawaii was mediocre at best, but according to what I learned from some locals, the beer scene is really starting to take off there.

A few pics (I had to take the black growler because it's classy as fwok):
Which Maui Brewing facility did you go to? We have been to the Lahaina facility, but the last time we were on island the Kehei production facility was still being built. We are going to be in Kehei for the three weeks starting on Tuesday and we're bringing our hydroflasks (the liter and two liter versions we got at the brewery four years ago). I absolutely love some of their ipas. The last time we were there, the had brewer came from one of the San Diego breweries and influenced the flavor of their beers for the better. I really like the iced bar to keep the condensation under control. I'd never seen anything like that before.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Which Maui Brewing facility did you go to? We have been to the Lahaina facility, but the last time we were on island the Kehei production facility was still being built. We are going to be in Kehei for the three weeks starting on Tuesday and we're bringing our hydroflasks (the liter and two liter versions we got at the brewery four years ago). I absolutely love some of their ipas. The last time we were there, the had brewer came from one of the San Diego breweries and influenced the flavor of their beers for the better. I really like the iced bar to keep the condensation under control. I'd never seen anything like that before.

It was the one in Kihei. We stayed at Kaanapali, but I don't remember a brewery in Lahaina. Was it the one north of Kaanapali?

It was the one in Kihei. We stayed at Kaanapali, but I don't remember a brewery in Lahaina. Was it the one north of Kaanapali?

There's also Kohola brewing on Maui (Lahaina), which I think is in an old Maui space.

Did you try any other Hawaii breweries while there? I had DIPA and Vanilla Stout bombers from Lanikai brewing (Oauhu).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
There's also Kohola brewing on Maui (Lahaina), which I think is in an old Maui space.

Did you try any other Hawaii breweries while there? I had DIPA and Vanilla Stout bombers from Lanikai brewing (Oauhu).

I must have missed that brewery in Lahaina - we were there two or three times while on Maui but I never saw it.

And we were going to go to a brewery on Oahu, but decided not to leave Aulani outside of our trip to Pearl Harbor. Traffic there is just misery. Not even Chicago traffic could compare to that shit.

Going to a new place that just opened in Speedway, IN called Big Woods. It sounds like Quaff ON! Brewing Company is the group that does all their beers. Going to fill a growler for the weekend (as long as their beer is decent).

I must have missed that brewery in Lahaina - we were there two or three times while on Maui but I never saw it.

And we were going to go to a brewery on Oahu, but decided not to leave Aulani outside of our trip to Pearl Harbor. Traffic there is just misery. Not even Chicago traffic could compare to that shit.

Going to a new place that just opened in Speedway, IN called Big Woods. It sounds like Quaff ON! Brewing Company is the group that does all their beers. Going to fill a growler for the weekend (as long as their beer is decent).

Kohola is in Maui's original facility in Lahaina.

Still a bummer that you missed out on Kauai Beer Company. I was really impressed. I think they're closed two days a week.

X-Frame

So I'm really into Brown Ale's now, not really sure why but I like where they tend to sit on the "darkness" or heaviness scale.

I'm currently enjoying Dogfish's Indian Brown Ale. Are there any other Brown Ale's you'd all recommend?

I'm in NY if that makes a difference, and work in Midtown NYC. Thanks!

Jarnet87

So I'm really into Brown Ale's now, not really sure why but I like where they tend to sit on the "darkness" or heaviness scale.

I'm currently enjoying Dogfish's Indian Brown Ale. Are there any other Brown Ale's you'd all recommend?

Founders Sumatra Brown is solid. Clown Shoes make a Brown Ale, use to have one called Brown Angel that was great, not sure what their current brown is called. Maduro Brown from Cigar City possibly, a lot of people like that (not me personally).

Edit; The Clown Shoes Brown is now called The Barista, sounds tasty.

X-Frame

Founders Sumatra Brown is solid. Clown Shoes make a Brown Ale, use to have one called Brown Angel that was great, not sure what their current brown is called. Maduro Brown from Cigar City possibly, a lot of people like that (not me personally).

Thanks, I'll check them out!

Dogheads Palto Santo is one of my favorites. Actually probably my favorite.

Ohh interesting, I didn't realize Dogfish had 2 Brown Ales. Not sure if I saw this one at the place I usually buy from, but I'll be on the lookout next time. Thanks!

EDIT: Just checked their website and it is sold at the same store I grab my Indian Brown Ale, so that's great! Maybe I'll pick some up tomorrow.

HiResDes

Thanks, I'll check them out!

Ohh interesting, I didn't realize Dogfish had 2 Brown Ales. Not sure if I saw this one at the place I usually buy from, but I'll be on the lookout next time. Thanks!

EDIT: Just checked their website and it is sold at the same store I grab my Indian Brown Ale, so that's great! Maybe I'll pick some up tomorrow.
Word of warning the alcohol in the Palo Santo is pretty prevalent, like it's a bit boozy, and you definitely will want to sip it. Not for the faint of heart. But as it warms it really starts to unveil its depth.

If you want lighter stuff similar to the other Dogfish check out bell's brown and smuttynose old brown dog

riotous

Banned
Palo Santo is delicious.
Divine 9 from Double Mountain is probably my favorite. Probably not available in NYC (and is an anniversary beer but I still see a ton of bottles around )

X-Frame

Word of warning the alcohol in the Palo Santo is pretty prevalent, like it's a bit boozy, and you definitely will want to sip it. Not for the faint of heart. But as it warms it really starts to unveil its depth.

If you want lighter stuff similar to the other Dogfish check out bell's brown and smuttynose old brown dog

Okay thanks for the heads up. I didn't even notice that the Palo Santo is 12 ABV wheres the Indian Brown Ale is only 7.2, so that is almost double.

Samuel Smith Nut Brown. It's a classic. Brooklyn Brown is nice too.

Seconding the Founders Sumatra recommendation. Damn good stuff, and tastes like black coffee.

Dogheads Palo Santo is one of my favorites. Actually probably my favorite.

I love the Palo Santo, but that drinks closer to a stout than anything. That is not a knock against it at all, but even if it is a brown ale, the body of it is thicker than stouts from some other breweries.

Samuel Smith Nut Brown. It's a classic. Brooklyn Brown is nice too.
Great recommendations as well, but that is not surprising coming from Ernie.

Holy Mountain's Kings Head Double Brown is killer, as are the versions with coffee and also a couple different BA versions. Draft only, gotta come to Seattle for it, though.

J6G7pQ0.jpg

Casey + a gift from a friend.

Triz

Picked up a six pack of Stone Mocha IPA. Holy shit this is an amazing beer. Aroma of coffee, taste of chocolate and coffee, with a slight hop finish.

Picked up a six pack of Stone Mocha IPA. Holy shit this is an amazing beer. Aroma of coffee, taste of chocolate and coffee, with a slight hop finish.
Mocha IPA? Wtf? I want to try it. Knowing my luck, we won't get it here. Local distributed seems to hate Stone. We never got Americano here. Dammit.

l4VzT5u.jpg

I wasn't able to attend the release, but a buddy got me a bottle of Coffee Vanilla Midnight Still.

You should send it to me for testing. Just in case...

Tonight trying out Evil Twin No Hero, their new oatmeal stout. Really damn good. A nice body to it, and great flavor as well. ABV coming in at 7%, so easy to go through a couple in a night. And only $11 for a four pack of 16oz cans is a killer.

X-Frame

I want to purchase a beer glass (or a couple different ones), does anyone have any recommendations? Anything ideally from Amazon? There seems to be a lot of well-reviewed ones.

I've been using a Stainless Steel beer mug but hear that glass is the best way to drink beer?

I want to purchase a beer glass (or a couple different ones), does anyone have any recommendations? Anything ideally from Amazon? There seems to be a lot of well-reviewed ones.

I've been using a Stainless Steel beer mug but hear that glass is the best way to drink beer?

Any local stores sell glassware? My favorite all-around would be a Duvel glass. Another option besides Amazon would be http://www.truebeer.com/. Plenty to choose from. I've purchased from them and they were great.

Where do you live? Hit up some local breweries and/or a bottle shop and see what they offer. Pick up a tulip, snifter, Teku, pint glass, Pilsner glass, etc. It also depends on what kinds of beer you like, as different glasses are made for different styles.

If you have a Crate and Barrel nearby, they also have a nice selection of unbranded beer glassware.

Jarnet87

Spiegelau glasses are nice but they break real easy. On the expensive side but can find them for sale at a bunch of place like bed bath and beyond. I normally just get brewery glasses now.

X-Frame

Thanks everyone. I live in Westchester County, NY but can't think of any nearby breweries off the top of my head or stores to pick glasses up. I honestly just try and order online whenever I can.

I'll check out the links and search for local breweries too.

Thanks everyone. I live in Westchester County, NY but can't think of any nearby breweries off the top of my head or stores to pick glasses up. I honestly just try and order online whenever I can.

I'll check out the links and search for local breweries too.

Captain Lawrence?

Old Stock is still one of the most under rated beers out there, and I love it. If you want a delicious malt bomb, go pick some up.

It is rather great, but just seems to sit on the shelves around here. I need to buy a bottle or two of the 2013 cellar reserve to stash for later.

If you haven't tried that, it is sublime. Sure, it is over $20 for only 500ml, but it is something you spoil yourself with.

It is rather great, but just seems to sit on the shelves around here. I need to buy a bottle or two of the 2013 cellar reserve to stash for later.

If you haven't tried that, it is sublime. Sure, it is over $20 for only 500ml, but it is something you spoil yourself with.

Oh I've got a nice selection of the cellar reserve beers. The 2014 rye barrel is exceptional. Expensive, true, but so, so tasty. Always grab a couple at the local Whole Foods when they do there 20% off all beers sale.

Edit:
Ten Fidy time! Mmmmmm

Tried out Koholā Brewing and it was pretty meh. It was cleanly brewed, but a bit generic recipe wise. Maui Brewing is still as good as I remember and the new facility is beautiful. They charge $15 for a and tour of the brewery (beer samples at the end included), so I'll skip that one (been too spoiled for that sort of thing). Growler fills are reasonably priced and a welcome addition to watching the sunset from the lanai.

Old Stock is still one of the most under rated beers out there, and I love it. If you want a delicious malt bomb, go pick some up.

Love that beer. A friend had a long-term vertical going and we did about an 8 year vertical a few years ago. It ages so well. Still have bottles of reserve from '09, '11 & '13. Need to grab the 2 new versions of '15 but I imagine they'll be sitting around for a while.

It's the weekend before E3 and I got to buy me some beer specifically for that event. I'm thinking a summer, crisp-like beer...nothing too strong. Thinking about Oskar Blues Yella Pils though anybody with other suggestions speak right up and note down what beer you're drinking for E3.

ShinAmano

Drinks planned for the weekend:
Veil - Crucial Taunt ... during grilling and pool sessions.
Three Floyd's- Bloobs ... late night beer.
Wicked Weed - Dark Age ...Game of Thrones viewing.

aceface

Anyone looking for a good deal I picked up a 4-pack of Ommegang 3-Philosophers at Target today for $6.99. I usually see it for double that, not sure about availability, I'm in upstate NY.

Anyone looking for a good deal I picked up a 4-pack of Ommegang 3-Philosophers at Target today for $6.99. I usually see it for double that, not sure about availability, I'm in upstate NY.

Damn, that is a crazy good price. Of course, might help that they are NY based. But still, that is a crazy price. Enjoy!

Top Bottom