• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

image.jpg

So good.

Chris R

Yup, love me some cucumber beer.

Also, really glad to see my favorite Midnight Sun offering in a can now (Panty Peeler, a Tripel with great citrus notes) and at a cheaper price than what they want for their bombers.

Bacon

Picked up Long Trail Cranberry Gose the other day and it is excellent. Been on a huge gose kick lately and this is one of the best I've tried.

HiResDes

Rant... Incoming, so this beer has been out around three days in Cincinnati and it's already incredibly hard to find, I go to my local trade group to poke around for some more Oro Negro and I see multiple posts from guys trying to unload the Noble for NE Hops... I'm so sick of trading, I just want to drink the good shit we get locally

Lotto

Totally on a cucumber binge lately. I almost hate how good Crush Cucumber Sour from 10 Barrel is. Gotta track one of those Sun Made's.

Also, anyone and everyone in SoCal should stop by Trader Joe's. They've got an East-coast style IPA exclusive from Modern Times called Accumulated Knowledge. I just picked up a bottle for myself. Haven't popped it but I can already see the haze juice.

Totally on a cucumber binge lately. I almost hate how good Crush Cucumber Sour from 10 Barrel is. Gotta track one of those Sun Made's.

Also, anyone and everyone in SoCal should stop by Trader Joe's. They've got an East-coast style IPA exclusive from Modern Times called Accumulated Knowledge. I just picked up a bottle for myself. Haven't popped it but I can already see the haze juice.

Sun Made is way better than Cucumber Crush, which I used to love until InBev bought 10 Barrel. Does Oakshire distribute to California?

Lotto

Sun Made is way better than Cucumber Crush, which I used to love until InBev bought 10 Barrel. Does Oakshire distribute to California?

Yeah, shame about the InBev buyout. Not sure if they distribute down here but I will be heading up to Seattle in August. Hopefully it will still be around that time.

Okay, guys, I think this is the last time I have any kind of "wild" ale. I had three different sours last night, felt fine when I went to bed, but I'm a complete mess this morning and hunched over a toilet. This keeps happening every time I try them so I think my body definitely does not like whatever's unique to that style.

But this didn't happen with the Sierra Nevada gose, so I don't know. Has this happened to anyone here before? I don't have a celiac disorder as far as I know.

Okay, guys, I think this is the last time I have any kind of "wild" ale. I had three different sours last night, felt fine when I went to bed, but I'm a complete mess this morning and hunched over a toilet. This keeps happening every time I try them so I think my body definitely does not like whatever's unique to that style.

But this didn't happen with the Sierra Nevada gose, so I don't know. Has this happened to anyone here before? I don't have a celiac disorder as far as I know.
You might not agree with the yeast/bugs. Many of the more esoteric sours are going to be unfiltered and/or bottle conditioned. Something meant for wider appeal like Otra Vez is probably going to be filtered or centrifuged.

Fremont Rusty Nail release was a cluster fuck.

Aside from telling people in line that they were out of bottles and to get out of line, and then put out more bottles, it wasn't a clusterfuck. Just a crazy release.

I got in line at 1030 and got my bottles. With that said, I miss the low key weekday releases with zero lines.

riotous

Banned
Aside from telling people in line that they were out of bottles and to get out of line, and then put out more bottles, it wasn't a clusterfuck. Just a crazy release.

I got in line at 1030 and got my bottles. With that said, I miss the low key weekday releases with zero lines.

I think you were right behind me.

And yeah I got the feeling someone decided to stash some cases for another time but then sold most of them once they did the line cull.

Tunic

And yeah I got the feeling someone decided to stash some cases for another time but then sold most of them once they did the line cull.

We got there at 9:45 and we were surprised to see the line because we were planning on walking around the neighborhood to kill some time. There was someone walking around with Fremont handing out donuts saying they had enough to last until around 4 today - not so much it sounds like.

Just had some

findumonde1.jpg

and it was delicious.

I also grabbed a six of Ommegang Witte because I've only ever seen it on tap. I just discovered a little beer place by me with tons of mysterious labels and brews that I'm looking forward to digging into little by little. No idea where to start though...

The beer is going into retail distribution this week. I'm wondering if they felt bad and pulled some back for those in line.

We got there at 9:45 and we were surprised to see the line because we were planning on walking around the neighborhood to kill some time. There was someone walking around with Fremont handing out donuts saying they had enough to last until around 4 today - not so much it sounds like.

The original Rusty Nail was so lax and chill. No lines, one per person. No crowds.

GODDAMN YOU NEW MONEY ASSHOLES. I saw guys with mules who amassed 8-12 bottles of Rusty Nail. And one guy is bragging about getting 6 on BA. This is not what PNW beer culture used to be like.

riotous

Banned
The beer is going into retail distribution this week. I'm wondering if they felt bad and pulled some back for those in line.

Yeah felt like that; and that's cool that it's going to retail. Wouldn't have been mad if they ran out or anything but it wasn't done very well; some of those kicked out of line were likely there for 2 hours (and were told at ~10:45 they'd be fine), and then it's possible people who showed up at noon got bottles instead of them.

I'm probably fine with just the 2 bottles; but have never tried this beer so we'll see.

We seriously must have been close in line since I arrived right around 10:30 myself. Did you happen to wear a red shirt? You with your wife? (blonde) Not trying to be a creeper or anything lol, just got this weird spidey sense that I was standing next to you.

Yeah felt like that; and that's cool that it's going to retail. Wouldn't have been mad if they ran out or anything but it wasn't done very well; some of those kicked out of line were likely there for 2 hours (and were told at ~10:45 they'd be fine), and then it's possible people who showed up at noon got bottles instead of them.

I'm probably fine with just the 2 bottles; but have never tried this beer so we'll see.

We seriously must have been close in line since I arrived right around 10:30 myself. Did you happen to wear a red shirt? You with your wife? (blonde) Not trying to be a creeper or anything lol, just got this weird spidey sense that I was standing next to you.

The first batch of Rusty Nail was fantastic, and the pour I had while waiting in line today was great. I still have a bottle from that first release. I'm keeping one bottle from today and giving the other to my buddy who happened to be out of town this weekend.

I was there with a friend. My wife refuses to wait in beer lines with me. She was at home with the kid. Ive got black hair and glasses, was wearing khaki shorts, a red white and blue plaid shirt, a dark gray Crux hoodie and blue Toms.

riotous

Banned
The first batch of Rusty Nail was fantastic, and the pour I had while waiting in line today was great. I still have a bottle from that first release. I'm keeping one bottle from today and giving the other to my buddy who happened to be out of town this weekend.

I was there with a friend. My wife refuses to wait in beer lines with me. She was at home with the kid. Ive got black hair and glasses, was wearing khaki shorts, a red white and blue plaid shirt, a dark gray Crux hoodie and blue Toms.

Yeah I drank my first bottle last night; pretty amazing. Will definitely grab 1 more bottle if I can find it at retail this week.

And I guess maybe I didn't see you; I was 10-15 people from the spot where they said "Anything after this is dubious" when they said they had 6 cases left. Was nerve wracking lol.

It's not just SoCal, picked up a couple bottles at a Trader Joe's in Oakland today. It's really tasty, nice that something like this is available without having to line up for four-packs of cans lmao.

bsuOHXZ.jpg

This new phenomenon of people lining up and losing their shit over canned IPAs blows my mind.

Seriously. If you told me even a year ago that people in LA would be lining up in the rain at Monkish and Highland Park for hazy New England-style IPA's I'd have died of laughter but here we are.

That Rusty Nail release sounds terrible. I guess even Seattle can't be immune but it's still a bummer.

Seriously. If you told me even a year ago that people in LA would be lining up in the rain at Monkish and Highland Park for hazy New England-style IPA's I'd have died of laughter but here we are.

That Rusty Nail release sounds terrible. I guess even Seattle can't be immune but it's still a bummer.

Holy Mountain's sour and stout releases have been just as nuts. Reubens' RIS releases were also the same.

Fremont moved the release to a Saturday (Fremont releases have always been super chill middle of the week releases with no lines or fanfare) and there's more and more newmoney youngins getting into craft beer. There truly is a Pokemon "gotta catch 'em all!" mentality permeating the scene.

We have a few breweries doing the hazy IPA thing here (Structures, Airways, Powerhouse and Urban Family who even canned theirs) but no hype has latched on yet.

Now excuse me and get off my lawn. I've got clouds to yell at.

Lotto

It's not just SoCal, picked up a couple bottles at a Trader Joe's in Oakland today. It's really tasty, nice that something like this is available without having to line up for four-packs of cans lmao.

bsuOHXZ.jpg

I was planning to stop by one of the Monkish releases (I Never Sleep + Atomically) when I went up to Anaheim to pick up my Fundamental Observation bottles but heard that the line was already full by 8(?)pm, didn't even bother. Guess I'll never get a chance for those, but looks like it shouldn't matter too much! Had some Underworld Dreams last night which is Simcoe + Amarillo NE style from Modern Times too, really juicy and yummy.

In the end Rusty Nail wasn't THAT bad; I showed up half an hour before opening and was able to buy the limit.

It wasn't bad, but some people (the ones behind us) missed out on bottles since Fremont asked them to get out of line, and then brought out more bottles. Those people missed out which sucks.

Saw some RN going for $90 on MBC already. Holy crap people. That's dumb.

Yeah hence my clusterfuck comment.

Getting my hands on some Modern Times City of the Dead... is it good? Rated highly.

It's fine, but Tavour enjoys hyping everything they sell. I'm hoping they'll have some of their IPAs to offer in the future.

riotous

Banned
I'm content with my one bottle. Gave the second to a friend who missed the release.

A buddy of mine said that PCC held theirs in back for those who called.

That's cool of them; probably sold out by now though right?

I keep forgetting to stop by that PCC: I'm guessing it's the one right next to Greenlake (not the one on 99).

riotous

Banned
Yeah the -$25 price made them not hard to find once the initial cases sold out; the grocery store by my house put some out a few weeks ago.

Other than the anniversary beers Firestone Walker is fairly plentiful as well; which is nice since I love their BA's.

Wish we got more of The Bruery's crazy selection.

I lived in Germany for two years and there was only ever one beer I thought was good and that was Schmuckers Rose Bock. I like my strong beer and over there I could never find anything stronger.

Belgian beers are my favourite , the Rochefort 10 is my favourite beer overall. I just need to try stronger beers though as I love the alcoholic taste.

Came across Schorschbock and whilst I tried to get the 20%+ beers they are impossible to get for decent prices. Have a couple of 13% ones now though that I look forward to trying when I go back to Germany to see my wife. What is the best glass to drink it from? I only have a Leffe glass over there, will that suffice?

Also have a Samichlaus Austrian beer at 14% that has good reviews, got 4 of those and they are relatively cheap to buy too. Any tips?

Also any other recommendations of really strong beer that isn't too expensive, is nice and rather easily attainable in the UK/Germany?

What's a good light beer I can get at my local liquor store? I'm not a big beer drinker but I had a Corona Light the other day and I liked it more than something like a Bud Light or Amstell Light.

http://www.totalwine.com/store-info/massachusetts-natick/1701

This is the largest liquor store in my area. They're the biggest liquor store I've ever been in. They seem to carry a wide variety of stuff.

Jack's Abby House Lager or their Leiaure Time pale lager.

Top Bottom