• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

riotous

Banned
Was thinking of checking that one out at the CD.

I have a crowler that's been in my fridge for a loooong time now. It's also an IPA lol

riotous

Banned
bX6FOkK.jpg

This is really good; not too sweet, lots of peat and oak. It manages the deep flavors of a whiskey without the sweetness or burn and it's paired with a mellow scotch ale.

Lotto

I've had this Founder's Breakfast Stout clone sitting in my keg for a little over 6 months now and it's actually getting better? I dunno, a month after it was kegged I felt like the bitterness was off the charts but now it's really mellowed out and is definitely more fudgy and drinkable. Think i'm getting closer to the bottom of the keg too.

Really want to brew something new though, definitely went through my IPA's a lot quicker.

Mitch

Banned
Looks like Avon Brewing is going to start receiving kegs from Hoof Hearted.

Glad they're expanding a bit. More people need to drink their crazy beer.

Link

The Autumn Wind
So I went to the grand opening for the World of Beer down the street last night, then had an A&P exam at 8am this morning and crushed it with a 97.6%.

I think I've found my new study plan.

So I went to the grand opening for the World of Beer down the street last night, then had an A&P exam at 8am this morning and crushed it with a 97.6%.

I think I've found my new study plan.
Just remember that you should always perform how you practice. So if you're having a few beers while studying you should probably have a few before the test to make sure you're in the same head space.

Looks like Avon Brewing is going to start receiving kegs from Hoof Hearted.

Glad they're expanding a bit. More people need to drink their crazy beer.

Their Everybody Wants Some! Simcoe was good, but not mind blowing or anything. Probably great if you're from an area that doesn't have a glut of quality hoppy beers, though.

Obscura

I need your help beer-GAF

Long story short, I don't go to bars but I'm going to one tonight with a friend. I'm also not much of a drinker though I love scotch and I very recently fell in love with Sweetwaters Hash Brown. This leads me to two questions.

1. What is a good substitute for Hash Brown that I could find in a bar?

2. What is an appropriate tip for a bartender? Same as a server at a restaurant?

Mitch

Banned
Their Everybody Wants Some! Simcoe was good, but not mind blowing or anything. Probably great if you're from an area that doesn't have a glut of quality hoppy beers, though.
Love that beer.

I'm pretty easy to please and still somewhat new to craft beer, so I really like what they're putting out.

Love that beer.

I'm pretty easy to please and still somewhat new to craft beer, so I really like what they're putting out.

Oh no don't get me wrong. They make good IPAs, but I don't think I'd ever stand in line on a weekend morning for cans.

I really thought Jackie O's Mystic Mama was a damn fine OH IPA. Probably a lot easier to get.

I need your help beer-GAF

Long story short, I don't go to bars but I'm going to one tonight with a friend. I'm also not much of a drinker though I love scotch and I very recently fell in love with Sweetwaters Hash Brown. This leads me to two questions.

1. What is a good substitute for Hash Brown that I could find in a bar?

2. What is an appropriate tip for a bartender? Same as a server at a restaurant?
As far as tipping, I tip $2 per beer/drink served. Always get great service.

I make a point of tipping $1 per beer and have never had bad service. But honestly my idea of good service is I get whatever I asked for. Some people expect the bartender to be their friend or hook them up with free stuff, I dunno.

Hi everyone! Have you heard the good word about our lord and saviour Fresh Hop?

So much was consumed today!

Breakside - Cascade Fresh Hop IPA
Cloudburst - Essence of Wetness IPA (Centennial and Cluster)
Fremont - Cowiche Canyon Pale (Citra and Simcoe)

Spread the message far and wide, and may the good lord Fresh Hop be with you always and forever.

Lotto

Hi everyone! Have you heard the good word about our lord and saviour Fresh Hop?

So much was consumed today!

Breakside - Cascade Fresh Hop IPA
Cloudburst - Essence of Wetness IPA (Centennial and Cluster)
Fremont - Cowiche Canyon Pale (Citra and Simcoe)

Spread the message far and wide, and may the good lord Fresh Hop be with you always and forever.

Not a lot of fresh hop going on around me actually, still grabbing what I can get! Maybe i'm not looking hard enough, heh. Should be more happening around in October for sure.

Not a lot of fresh hop going on around me actually, still grabbing what I can get! Maybe i'm not looking hard enough, heh. Should be more happening around in October for sure.

The Oregon breweries were moving faster than Washington, but things are finally ramping up. Georgetown has their FH Johnny Utah (Citra) on for fills, so I need to stop by and get a growler. That beer was amazing last year. Reubens has two coming on Monday, Holy Mountain'a Citra FH should be done next week, and Cloudburst has collabs with Holy Mountain (Mosaic) and Bale Breaker (Citra) yet to be released. Bale Breaker should have one or two shortly, and there's loads of other little places. Small brewpub south in Puyallup is doing a Citra FH version of their hazy DIPA No Fruit was Harmed.

Mitch

Banned
Oh no don't get me wrong. They make good IPAs, but I don't think I'd ever stand in line on a weekend morning for cans.

I really thought Jackie O's Mystic Mama was a damn fine OH IPA. Probably a lot easier to get.
Their releases aren't so bad. It's great that they are ticketed. This last time we got there about 30 minutes early and participated in the bottle share. There was some pretty killer beers from all over the US.

Mystic Mama is a damn fine IPA. Haven't had it in a while, but it was one of my first IPAs when I moved up here.

Yesterday I bought 3 Floyd's Red Death Sour and Weyerbacher Sunday Molé Stout. The stout was as good as KBS, imo. May buy more this weekend. The sour was pretty tart, with a nice raspberry/cherry flavor. Pretty high price, though. Probably won't get it again.

HiResDes

Their releases aren't so bad. It's great that they are ticketed. This last time we got there about 30 minutes early and participated in the bottle share. There was some pretty killer beers from all over the US.

Mystic Mama is a damn fine IPA. Haven't had it in a while, but it was one of my first IPAs when I moved up here.

Yesterday I bought 3 Floyd's Red Death Sour and Weyerbacher Sunday Molé Stout. The stout was as good as KBS, imo. May buy more this weekend. The sour was pretty tart, with a nice raspberry/cherry flavor. Pretty high price, though. Probably won't get it again.
Where you netting the Mole?

Link

The Autumn Wind
I love the bartender at the Whole Foods bar. He always gives me a pint glass instead of a snifter. A pint of Founders Breakfast Stout for $6? Yes, please!

Mitch

Banned
I love the bartender at the Whole Foods bar. He always gives me a pint glass instead of a snifter. A pint of Founders Breakfast Stout for $6? Yes, please!
I've had a few bartenders do this for beers that usually come in snifters. Always tip generously.

I can't believe that I wasted $10 on a four pack of Breckenridge Brewery's pumpkin spice latte stout. Very disappointing, but I honestly don't know what I expected.

Jarnet87

It's pumpkin beer. That's all you needed to know...

For the most part yeah lol. that said if I had to drink a pumpkin beer the few that I have enjoyed are Sam Adams Fat Jack, Cigar City Good Gourd, and this year I tried Fat Head Spooky Tooth that was pretty good. We have a local brewery doing a pumpkin beer and some other releases this weekend, I may try a can if I go. It's a 12% Imperial Pumpkin Ale but it better blow me away if they want me to buy a 4 pack at $20.

I miss Fat Jack. That and Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin were the only pumpkin beers I really liked. Warlock and all the sugar in it got me through sometimes though. But I miss the more pumpkin spice stuff, as things are more pumpkin sugar bombs now.

Although, Avery's PumpKYn was really, really good.

Almanac's Heirloom Pumpkin Barleywine wasn't bad, but I'm just not a fan of most things pumpkin. One slice of pie is all I need for the year.

Wait. Fremont once did a pumpkin variant of Bbomb that was really good. So there's that.

Mitch

Banned
Saint Arnold's Pumpkinator is a decent pumpkin beer. Probably the only one I like.

First year I won't be buying any, since I'm not in Houston anymore.

Best pumpkin beer I've had this year is Heavy Seas Beer's 2014 The Great'er Pumpkin. Incredible, and I don't normally like pumpkin beer.

Other than Pump[KY]n, of course. I'll drink that for eternity.

The thing I don't like about most pumpkin beers is that most of them use the wrong style for a base. They'll take a basic blonde or maybe amber beer with no character of its own and throw in a bunch of spice and maybe some vegetable matter, so that ends up being all you taste.

Those things work way better as a compliment rather than the whole show. At the very least, you need some body and residual sweetness to round it out. Pumpking almost has the right idea, but like a lot of Southern Tier beers, it goes way too far on the sweetness.

I do an oatmeal stout that gets a big dose of molasses along with the roasted pumpkin and a fairly light hand on the pie spice. It's full and bittersweet and provides a nice silky bed for the pumpkin to get down in. It works out well because it's a beer first and a glass of gourd squeezings second. I want more breweries to make a beer like that, mostly because it's a pain in the ass to sparge with so much pumpkin in the mash.

Top Bottom