• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

FutureZombie said:
What are some highly carbonated beers? The more fizzy the better. Porters preferred, but I'm interested in anything with lots of fizz.
w09Ll.jpg

Find the 4-pack w/ the glass. If I could only have 1 beer glass, this would be it. As mentioned, porters aren't generally fizzy (unless poorly made). A lot of Belgians tend to be on the more carbonated side.

HiResDes

FutureZombie said:
What are some highly carbonated beers? The more fizzy the better. Porters preferred, but I'm interested in anything with lots of fizz.
Here's another suggestion, I figure one more couldn't hurt:

HiResDes said:
Recently picked up and am in the process of finishing a bottle of this:

1039.jpg

...Obviously like pretty much every other good beer this thing gets better the more you drink. I believe it's a Belgian Strong Pale Ale, which means it's bitter, strong, and light colored. The high carbonation might actually be this beer's strongest characteristic. The taste is quite simple, yet somewhat elevated consisting of lemon, yeast, malts, and a very very small hint of hops. With an ABV of 8.5 percent this one is built to be a sipper, but goes down like a session beer, which is why I was able to down a whole bottle in less than an hour. It feels good to finish the last drop right before I finish the last sentence of this review.

ErnieMcCracken said:
As mentioned, porters aren't generally fizzy (unless poorly made).

I take issue with this statement. Having a little extra carbonation in a porter, though maybe not up to the level of a Belgian, would not be bending the style so much as to call it "poorly made." There are all sorts of variations on flavor, aroma, mouthfeel within a given style. If a man thinks a porter with a little extra carbonation is a good idea, and if people enjoy it, then I wouldn't call it poorly-made. That goes for any beer of any style, really.

note: I am not really a beer purist. Experimentation and new ideas for me, please. Though sometimes I come across a beer that is a truly exemplary non-boundary-pushing beer, and that is definitely a great, rare experience indeed.

HiResDes

Rogue's Double Mocha Porter has a bit of carbonation and it's nearly impeccable, but probably is going to be hard to find at this point.

HappyBivouac said:
I take issue with this statement. Having a little extra carbonation in a porter, though maybe not up to the level of a Belgian, would not be bending the style so much as to call it "poorly made." There are all sorts of variations on flavor, aroma, mouthfeel within a given style. If a man thinks a porter with a little extra carbonation is a good idea, and if people enjoy it, then I wouldn't call it poorly-made. That goes for any beer of any style, really.

note: I am not really a beer purist. Experimentation and new ideas for me, please. Though sometimes I come across a beer that is a truly exemplary non-boundary-pushing beer, and that is definitely a great, rare experience indeed.
Guess I should've said "not to style", but I digress... My favorite (domestic/American) porter is from Founders. If he's looking for something dark and carbonated he could try a Belgian stout. Not many out there but there are some American breweries that do this style (avoid the Stone Belgo-Anise Stout, not sure what they were thinking w/ that one).

AcridMeat

Banned
00255_17.jpg

Picked this up because I didn't know what it was and wanted something new. It's actually pretty good! Happy with the blind purchase. :)

Stopped by the Mayor of Old Town in Fort Collins, CO for their first firkin:

New Belgium's La Folie (sour brown ale) that was then aged in a Leopold Bros apple whiskey barrel. My wife kept saying, "this is the best beer I've ever had." over and over again. I have to agree, it was a once in a lifetime beer (better than anything I've ever had at the Great American Beer Festival).

Diseased Yak said:
RrGEP.jpg

I kinda went crazy at the liquor store. I have a legit excuse, though, as I had just gotten a sizable raise at work ;)

Like Belgian styles much?

I just drank a bottle of the Ommegang / Brasserie d'Achouffe collab brew "Gnomegang". It was tits in a bottle. Based on the beers in your picture, I would highly recommend you seek it out. It was $13 for a bomber.

ShaneDude said:
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but does beer always taste like ass when you first start drinking it? I'm not a heavy drinker but I always prefer shots and other liquor. So far I think I've only had Budweiser, Heineken and Keystone.

If you want to do some reading up on beer styles, I recommend The Naked Pint. You'll walk away knowing the basic to intermediate details of almost every single style of beer. The chapters are laid out so they slowly introduce you to more and more complex styles. It starts with easy accessible stuff like Pilsners and Blonds and such and ends on stuff like double IPAs, Imperial Russian Stouts, barrel-aged stuff, and other insane brews.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
StrikerObi said:
Like Belgain styles much?

I just drank a bottle of the Ommegang / Brasserie d'Achouffe collab brew "Gnomegang". It was tits in a bottle. Based on the beers in your picture, I would highly recommend you seek it out. It was $13 for a bomber.

I do indeed like Belgian styles, what gave it away?

I shall seek out your recommend asap, it sounds like something I'd like based entirely on it being called "Gnomegang".

Diseased Yak said:
I do indeed like Belgian styles, what gave it away?

I shall seek out your recommend asap, it sounds like something I'd like based entirely on it being called "Gnomegang".

That's why I bought it. Ommegang has a sterling reputation and I wanted to try one of their beers. This one had the best name. I think it's a pretty limited release, given that it is a collab, so I doubt it'll be around once it sells out. Though I'm not sure how indicative it is of their other brews, since it is a collab. But the bottle says the brewer focuses on Belgian styles.

ksan

The other part of the collab, Brasserie d'Achouffe, makes some amazing beers too.
Last week I was in a place with less than superb beer selection, so I made an educated guess and ended up with a bottle of Houblon Chouffe.
Seems that I had some luck as I found the beer to be very good :)

jyoung188

HappyBivouac said:
My vote goes to Sierra Nevada Porter, in any case. Great effing beer.
Fuck yeah, I live 45 min away from the Sierra Nevada brewery, they make the best fucking beer IMO, the Porter is one of my favorites.

ksan

jyoung188 said:
Fuck yeah, I live 45 min away from the Sierra Nevada brewery, they make the best fucking beer IMO, the Porter is one of my favorites.
If you like porters, I'd recommend the Sinebrychoff Porter just for the sake that it's from a macro brewery.
Would be fun to see if anyone could recommend a better macrobrew beer.

thespot84

ksan said:
If you like porters, I'd recommend the Sinebrychoff Porter just for the sake that it's from a macro brewery.

colorado native is made by miller IIRC, it's passable I suppose. Also for porters I'm partial to black butte from deschutes.

jyoung188

ksan said:
Cool, I'll have to try that out.

ksan said:

Wow, really? I've had that beer and it was awesome. I wouldn't have guessed it's from a macro brewery. What exactly do you mean by "macro" though? Where do you draw the line?

HappyBivouac said:
Wow, really? I've had that beer and it was awesome. I wouldn't have guessed it's from a macro brewery. What exactly do you mean by "macro" though? Where do you draw the line?

Sinebrychoff is owned by Carlsberg (5th largest in the world), so that's why he called it a Macro.

matt360

I just wanna say I'm really glad this thread exists. I've found lots of great stuff based off of your recommendations. Living in Japan sometimes they are hard to come by, but to me there's nothing better than blowing a large portion of your paycheck and having a big box of beer delivered to your apartment, gathering your buddies, kicking back and grilling some meat while drinking some high quality beer.

So basically, long live beer.

ksan

distantmantra said:
Sinebrychoff is owned by Carlsberg (5th largest in the world), so that's why he called it a Macro.
And afaik Sinebrychoff is one of the biggest breweries in Finland, they also have the license to make Coca-Cola and shit there :p
matt360 said:
I just wanna say I'm really glad this thread exists. I've found lots of great stuff based off of your recommendations. Living in Japan sometimes they are hard to come by, but to me there's nothing better than blowing a large portion of your paycheck and having a big box of beer delivered to your apartment, gathering your buddies, kicking back and grilling some meat while drinking some high quality beer.

So basically, long live beer.
*thumbs up*

Actually I'm drinking some Karhu right now (a bit just because I'm off school and work for another week and some more because of a shitty day :pp), which suitably is from just Sinebrychoff. It's an ok macro lager, but definitely not good compared to good beer.
I was so close to writing bear :D and Karhu means bear in finish!

Brewed my first all grain (80/-) on Saturday and brewing an extract american wheat today. Still trying to decide if I want to add watermelon or Sleepytime tea to the wheat beer for a homebrew fest on the 20th. After tonight, I will have 3 carboys fermenting in my kitchen. I love having beer fermenting in my kitchen!

Also, one of the great things about living alone, need to use my kegorator as a fermentation chamber? No problem! Move keg to main fridge!
w6AtJl.jpg

(I really have more then beer in the fridge I swear, it just all fits in the door or the drawers)

matt360

sharkmuncher said:
Brewed my first all grain (80/-) on Saturday and brewing an extract american wheat today. Still trying to decide if I want to add watermelon or Sleepytime tea to the wheat beer for a homebrew fest on the 20th. After tonight, I will have 3 carboys fermenting in my kitchen. I love having beer fermenting in my kitchen!

Also, one of the great things about living alone, need to use my kegorator as a fermentation chamber? No problem! Move keg to main fridge!
w6AtJl.jpg

(I really have more then beer in the fridge I swear, it just all fits in the door or the drawers)

I see you also have some sriracha sauce in that fridge. Them's bonus points my friend!

sharkmuncher said:

w6AtJl.jpg

I have brewed two witbiers in the past month (planning a WhitePA on the cake) and strongly recommend using the sleepytime tea (it has chamomile right?). Chamomile adds a great taste to wheat beers. I also am a fan of one cardamon pod for 23L in the same beer. Congrats on the all grain by the way.

reakt

Diseased Yak said:
RrGEP.jpg

I kinda went crazy at the liquor store. I have a legit excuse, though, as I had just gotten a sizable raise at work ;)
Awesome selection. I love Chimay. How come yours says Chimay Ale on it? That's not how it looks in Europe (see below).
3-verres+6-bouteilles-copy.jpg

Same stuff just labelled differently for US market I guess?

Diseased Yak said:
RrGEP.jpg

You fuck with the Trappist beers much? The Rochefort 10 is my favorite beer ever. As close to a great wine, or even whisky experience, but in beer. Amazing.

4DcG6l.jpg

Mmm. I love Magic Hat. I just picked up this Night of the Living Dead variety pack. Excited to try them all (read: tonight). Does anyone else enjoy this brand?

Pacifico is super cheap in LA, $8 a 12 pack sometimes. That's a great beer.

I've been trying all of the Dogfish Head beers, the Raison was really nice, and I kind of went off IPAs as they taste too much like tree sap or something, but their 60 Minute IPA is a really nice, much more subtle verision of the IPA. Great stuff.

60.jpg

HiResDes

FutureZombie said:
What's your favorite cheap beer? I'll define cheap as $1 or less per bottle in a 12 pack. Does cheap beer get any better than Yuengling?
Honey Brown is generally pretty cheap...That used to be my session brew in the winter.

kottila

Jyst came home frim my International Beer day celebration. Had the brewdog red ale which was good, a scottish dark island ale which was great. The Hungry shark ipa - mediocre and a norwegian (Kinn) saison - love it (had it once before where it tasted complety different, so the setting and treatment of the bottle really matters) and their IPA - good. Spelling mistakes are blamed on my ipod..

TheExodu5

Banned
Since I'm visiting family in Lac St-Jean, I figured I'd try a few Quebec beers.

Unibroue's Ephemere is a pretty fantastic summer beer. Not too subtle, but great nonetheless.

The real surprise is a beer I picked up out of sheer curiosity: La Vache Folle. This is a beer that's been mixed with lactose. Absolutely fantastic stuff. Best imperial stout I've tried to date. I think I'm going to have to pick up a few of these before heading back home.

meadowrag

Banned
My liquor store just got the Guinness Foreign Extra Stout in.

It's fucking delicious. I'd take a nice picture and all but I can't stop drinking it. I can't believe my friend wastes these drinking them cold.
Wish it was a tad bit stronger though.

AcridMeat

Banned
Was down south (Santa Cruz and Monterey area) over the weekend and tried a few new brews. Here's what I remember.

speakeasy-prohibition-ale.jpg

Prohibition Ale - Really enjoyed this. I've been having a lot of ales recently, this may be my favorite. Looking forward to picking up a pack soon.

Peter B's Amber Ale (not pictured) - Expected better from something with my name on it. Though that said, it's probably a more accurate depiction. Optimistic yet middling.

4276.Spaten-Optimator.jpg

Spaten Optimator - Had a very nice aftertaste of I want to say blackberry, but that's probably not quite it. Caught me by surprise but enjoyed it.

Unfortunately I can't remember the first new beer I had, I remember it being crisp, think it was a summer ale. It was awesome getting a beer on top in a cafe.

BigFwoosh

POWERSPHERE said:
Pacifico is super cheap in LA, $8 a 12 pack sometimes. That's a great beer.

I've been trying all of the Dogfish Head beers, the Raison was really nice, and I kind of went off IPAs as they taste too much like tree sap or something, but their 60 Minute IPA is a really nice, much more subtle verision of the IPA. Great stuff.

60.jpg
Their 90 Minute IPA is my absolute favorite beer, you should try it if you find it. Black and Blue is also really good, though totally different (very fruity). Dogfish Head is my favorite brewery just on account of all the weird shit they make.

Just taste tested my first all-grain (80/-) and a wheat extract I have fermenting.
First the wheat: Holy Shit Temp. Control!!!!! This is the first beer I've done where I ahve been able to really control the temp. Set the Johnson Controller to 67+/-1°F with WLP-001 and it is easily one of the best beers I've brewed. Really excited to add some sleepytime and carb.

Next, the 80/-, not bad for my first all-grain (definitely better than my first extract). I was nervous about adding too much strike water and missed my temp by ~8°F (was shooting for 156, ended up about 147°F) so it ended up pretty thin, also missed my OG (shooting for 1.050, hit 1.035) because I'm pretty sure I sparged too fast. so I guess it is more along the lines of a 60/- than an 80/-. Luckily, it doesn't seem to have much for noticeable off flavors and is not particularly astringent, so it should be a pretty easy drinking beer. Excited to see how it finally turns out.

Question for anyone who brews with Brett. I have a Belgian specialty that was fermented for 5 days with a Belgian Ale Yeast, then racked to a 2° and I added a vial of Brett. 45 days later, it has a pretty overpowering Brett. character. Will this fade over time or is this a beer that I should start to think about blending? Don't know much about Brett, but I really like the flavor and Brett character in this beer, there's just too much of it.

I'm turning 21 next month, what are some good beers you guys would recommend to a beginner? All I've tried are the shitty American beers they give out at college parties.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
sharkmuncher said:
Just taste tested my first all-grain (80/-) and a wheat extract I have fermenting.
First the wheat: Holy Shit Temp. Control!!!!! This is the first beer I've done where I ahve been able to really control the temp. Set the Johnson Controller to 67+/-1°F with WLP-001 and it is easily one of the best beers I've brewed. Really excited to add some sleepytime and carb.

Next, the 80/-, not bad for my first all-grain (definitely better than my first extract). I was nervous about adding too much strike water and missed my temp by ~8°F (was shooting for 156, ended up about 147°F) so it ended up pretty thin, also missed my OG (shooting for 1.050, hit 1.035) because I'm pretty sure I sparged too fast. so I guess it is more along the lines of a 60/- than an 80/-. Luckily, it doesn't seem to have much for noticeable off flavors and is not particularly astringent, so it should be a pretty easy drinking beer. Excited to see how it finally turns out.

Question for anyone who brews with Brett. I have a Belgian specialty that was fermented for 5 days with a Belgian Ale Yeast, then racked to a 2° and I added a vial of Brett. 45 days later, it has a pretty overpowering Brett. character. Will this fade over time or is this a beer that I should start to think about blending? Don't know much about Brett, but I really like the flavor and Brett character in this beer, there's just too much of it.
Brett can do that, become strong at first and then settle down over time, even though it will probably keep working. Other yeasts are the same way. 002 will taste it's most estery right after fermentation and within a week have reduced significantly. But, I doubt it will drop a huge amount, especially over the short term. Clearing the beer will help to restrain it, and depending on the type of beer, dry hopping can cover some of it up and give an interesting point of balance/contrast. Perhaps an earthy/herbal dry hop like a hallertau or a citrusy dry hop like an Amarillo.

BigFwoosh

LethaL ImpuLse said:
I'm turning 21 next month, what are some good beers you guys would recommend to a beginner? All I've tried are the shitty American beers they give out at college parties.
Anything but what they give out at college parties. Broaden your horizons! So many people end up only knowing shitty beer that you owe it to yourself to try some real good ones. My personal fave (as mentioned like 5 posts ago) is Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA, but any Dogfish Head is worth a shot imo. I'm also a fan of Samuel Adams Summer Ale, Magic Hat #9, Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat, and Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse (which is some godly shit).

Top Bottom