• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

fenners

Yaboosh said:
What part of It is leaking? If it is where it actually connects to the post on the keg, you probably have a nick in the post gasket. Keg lube is your friend, also.

I didn't have much time to diagnose it as I had the two kids going crazy beside me - just pulled the disconnect off & cleaned up everything. Leak was obviously from the beer post, but not sure why yet. I'm going to buy some keg lube from the homebrew store, see if that helps as a first step.

Thankfully, it's the beer pin, so I've got time to diagnose/fix it while the beer carbs up. Gas is working fine.

This weekend I tried:

Southern Tier Imperial Mokah. It's like dark chocolate alcoholic yoohoo!

It's not bad if you like beer that doesn't taste like beer, but I kind of prefer something with a little reminder of what I'm drinking. However it's worth a shot if you enjoy coffee and dark chocolate.

Indigo Imp Firebrand is next to me now. It's not leaving much of an impression. I prefer the Blonde Bombshell and Gatekeeper as of now. I have two more new brews from them to sample.

lljride

Tried my first Breckenridge Brewery beer over the weekend, 471 Small Batch Double IPA. It wasn't bad or anything, but it was probably the least interesting Double/Imperial IPA I've ever had. You could have told me I was drinking a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or something and I almost would have believed you.

52F8bl.jpg

My fermentor, it's all big and bulgy...like a moose.

Also:
W9R3Il.jpg

Chili made with my 5 chile beer and Avery's Maharaja IIPA.
Combo from the gods! There really is nothing like a big IPA or IIPA with some nice hearty and spicy chili. Unfortunately, Avery has just pulled their beers out of NE, so this will probably be my last one for a while. Time to start arranging more vacations to visit my sister over there haha.
Also, compared to this, DHF 90 min. is definitely over-rated.

slidewinder said:
What kinds of peppers did you use in your 5 chile beer?

Twisted Pine said:
For our Billy's Chilies we use our Rocky Mountain Wheat and add chilies to the second week of fermentation. In a 30 BBL batch we use the following conversion and cut and seed all our peppers so the flavor comes out stronger than the heat: Serrano 6 LBS, Anaheim 60 LBS, Fresno 15 LBS, Habanero 2 LBs, Jalapeno 9 lbs. Because we add to fermentation instead of the brew process it should be pretty easy to duplicate, just make your favorite Wheat Ale and add some fresh & seeded peppers! Ours sits around 5.5 % ABV and 20 IBUs. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Really great for a pepper beer, all the tasty pepper flavor and only a small amount of the heat, it actually turned out really well as a home brew and the commercial version, Billy's Chilies is awesome as well.

fenners

fenners said:
I didn't have much time to diagnose it as I had the two kids going crazy beside me - just pulled the disconnect off & cleaned up everything. Leak was obviously from the beer post, but not sure why yet. I'm going to buy some keg lube from the homebrew store, see if that helps as a first step.

All sorted. Shifted the keg around so I could get a better look as I poured a glass. The beer line's barb wasn't screwed on well enough to the disconnect, so the beer was slowly (and obviously) leaking after I poured a pint. Whipped out the adjustable wrench & it seems to be all
fixed. Woot.

Next job is to drill the tap holes & I'm more or less done. I need a better drill bit, know what to look for, as my first pick seems to be a wood one that's doing nothing.

sharkmuncher said:
Chili made with my 5 chile beer and Avery's Maharaja IIPA.
Combo from the gods! There really is nothing like a big IPA or IIPA with some nice hearty and spicy chili. Unfortunately, Avery has just pulled their beers out of NE, so this will probably be my last one for a while. Time to start arranging more vacations to visit my sister over there haha.
Also, compared to this, DHF 90 min. is definitely over-rated.

I prefer DuganA over Maharaja. Get some before Avery is totally gone from Nebraska.

distantmantra said:
I prefer DuganA over Maharaja. Get some before Avery is totally gone from Nebraska.

Ehh...not too crazy about the whole Cascadian/Black IPA thing. Personally, I like my IPA/IIPA with a lot more malty flavor than the roasty malt flavor. DuganA is a good beer, just not my preferred style. Also, have a buddy bringing me a pretty solid stash of Avery from CO this weekend.

nyfkeq.jpg

Just cracked open my HUB Galactic Imperial Red Ale. Figured I needed to drink it soon before all the hops fade. Really nice.

sharkmuncher said:
Ehh...not too crazy about the whole Cascadian/Black IPA thing. Personally, I like my IPA/IIPA with a lot more malty flavor than the roasty malt flavor. DuganA is a good beer, just not my preferred style. Also, have a buddy bringing me a pretty solid stash of Avery from CO this weekend.

Huh?

DuganA is an Imperial IPA. I find it to be much more balanced than Maharaja, which tends to be too hot and boozy for my liking.

I don't care for CDA/BIPAs, either.

33d9jj7.jpg

Recent pick ups. Fremont's Homefront IPA was brewed with assistance from (recently released) Seattle Mariners pitcher Chris Ray and was brewed on top of maple baseball bats.

sharkmuncher said:
Really great for a pepper beer, all the tasty pepper flavor and only a small amount of the heat, it actually turned out really well as a home brew and the commercial version, Billy's Chilies is awesome as well.
Interesting. Sounds good.

AcridMeat

Banned
Just got back from lunch/Bevmo. Picked up more Speakeasy Prohibition Ale and to my surprise they did have some Old Chub Scotch Ale so I got a pack of that as well.

Happy to give these a go tonight and this weekend!

thespot84

sharkmuncher said:

How would you say it compares to pat's from wynkoop, flavor-wise?

thespot84 said:
How would you say it compares to pat's from wynkoop, flavor-wise?

Couldn't compare seeing as I've never had of pat's. I can say it has a really strong emphasis on the pepper aroma, without the bite of something like Rogue's Chipotle or the spiciness that many homebrewers seem to want in their pepper beers.

thespot84

sharkmuncher said:
Couldn't compare seeing as I've never had of pat's. I can say it has a really strong emphasis on the pepper aroma, without the bite of something like Rogue's Chipotle or the spiciness that many homebrewers seem to want in their pepper beers.

sounds really intersting. I'm actual not a typical chili beer fan for that last reason, the bite is just too much, even though i like spicy food. What I love about pats is it's a green chili beer, with a bit of sweetness. It's smooth and honestly tastes like someone turned green chili cornbread into a drink. If you're ever back to Denver give it a try...

AcridMeat

Banned
ana said:
Google+ neogaf beer circle could be fun :)
This is a horribly brilliant idea.

Two thoughts, Prohibition Ale still gets big thumbs up from me. Old Chub's flavor came into it's own after the second or third taste, I agree that's a great beer.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Just had a disappointing visit to Russian River. Temptation was a butter bomb, there were about six beers missing from the sampler, Pliny tasted old. The czech pils was really good though.

Yaboosh said:
Just had a disappointing visit to Russian River. Temptation was a butter bomb, there were about six beers missing from the sampler, Pliny tasted old. The czech pils was really good though.

I've got a bottle of Temptation that I need to open one of these days... The last batch of Pliny is from August 2nd. That's too bad.

A6jJjl.jpg

Friend of mine came to visit from CO this weekend and helped me stock my fridge! Only thing I've tried from this is the Old Chub so I should have some delightful evenings ahead of me.

Consecration is nice, but I'm not too keen on Damnation.

Speaking of saisons, there's a new brewery here in Seattle that's releasing a canned saison next month.

tokkun

I had my first Rauchbier today, and noooooooo thanks. I enjoy smoked porters, but this was too over-the-top. I ended up pouring most of the bottle down the drain.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
tokkun said:
I had my first Rauchbier today, and noooooooo thanks. I enjoy smoked porters, but this was too over-the-top. I ended up pouring most of the bottle down the drain.
They are kind of designed to be consumed in mass quantities. More than most other flavors, smoke deadens your palate to its flavor. So as you drink a rauchbier, you start tasting the smoke less and less. So if you are drinking a liter or two, it has to be super smokey for the flavor to persist through all of it.

Shared my bottles of (2011 vintage, 20% ABV) 120 Minute IPA last night with friends. Everyone agreed that it was absolutely terrible. We still had fun drinking it, though.

Velinos

I was at the liquor store last night and saw that Southern Tier's Imperial Pumking beer had just arrived. I heard a lot people speak highly of pumpkin beers in this thread, so I figured I'd give it a shot. It was definitely a different experience. The nose was a strong pumpkin smell, almost like pumpkin pie. The taste was a bit more mellow, more hints of pumpkin than a strong pumpkin flavor. Since it was my first pumpkin beer, I cannot compare it to any other, but it wasn't bad. I probably would not drink more than a glass at a time (it did take a little work to down the whole 23oz bottle) but I will definitely try other pumpkin beers. Kinda like it has been with IPAs for me, I'll keep trying them until I find ones that I like.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
distantmantra said:
Shared my bottles of (2011 vintage, 20% ABV) 120 Minute IPA last night with friends. Everyone agreed that it was absolutely terrible. We still had fun drinking it, though.
Yes, horrible gimmick beer. Utopias is much better as a high alcohol gimmick.

Viewt

distantmantra said:
I love Dogfish, but if they release a beer that's more than 11%, I won't drink it. Their higher-ABV brews are usually just an assault on your taste buds, and more of a "see if you can handle it" experience than anything else.

Though their best beer is just over 10% - Burton Baton.

I was writing up my review of it on Beer Advocate and took a look at what other people thought of it... A, A+, A-, "Best beer ever!"... yeah. I think the hype has gone to people's heads. The reviews pre-2011 release are much more realistic than those post-2011 release. I gave it a D.

tokkun

Viewt said:
I love Dogfish, but if they release a beer that's more than 11%, I won't drink it. Their higher-ABV brews are usually just an assault on your taste buds, and more of a "see if you can handle it" experience than anything else.
Though their best beer is just over 10% - Burton Baton.

Definitely agree with regards to their Palo Santo Marron

HiResDes

Victory Summer Love (On Draft) - Citrusy/lemony, Hoppy, with slight carbonation, but an overall easy mouthfeel. Extremely drinkable, almost to a fault. The perfect summer beer, insanely refreshing, yet hoppy enough to not feel like a macro. It was like a lighter, less concentrated version of Great Lakes Erie Monster

Point Oktoberfest (On Draft) - Aroma of maybe some caramel, but a backdrop of yeast. Taste is a combination of both with a possible aftertaste of nuts and or toffee. However, as good as everything sounds it pretty much tasted exactly like I expected and did not blow me away in any fashion. I think enjoyed Sprecher's Oktoberfest much more.

Breckenridge's Autumn Ale - Currently enjoying a sixpack of this and it's incredible. Malty with a delectable cornucopia of flavors that dances around plum, molasses, and a hint of fig and or cherry. The taste kind of reminds me of Maudite, but the mouthfeel is much more accessible. Again the drink ability of this one is off the charts. This is the perfect seasonal beer, the kind I'd want to keep stock in my fridge from September to November.

Takuhi said:
The Elysian Night Owl is the best pumpkin beer. (Pumpking is pretty good, but it's awfully rich and gets tiresome quickly.) Dunno what their distribution is like outside of washington state, though. Elysian also makes Dark O The Moon, a pumpkin stout, which isn't super-pumpkiny but is great. Hard to find, though.

You might be interested to know then...

http://thefullpint.com/beer-news/stone-announces-collaboration-with-elysian-and-the-bruery

Anyways... any Gaffers going to GABF? Whatcha looking forward to?

I just brewed my first beer today using a Mr. Beer. I figured I'd start with a Pumpkin Porter because I enjoy pumpkin beers. I got the recipe from their site, so hopefully it comes out good!

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
We will be at GABF. It will be my fourth year repping a brewery and i was actually lucky enough to win a gold last year for my IPA. That was for a different brewery though, so we will see how things go this year. It was fun to win but most of the fun is always in hanging out with buddies at Falling Rock or going to homebrew events or other fun things like that.

thespot84

Yaboosh said:
We will be at GABF. It will be my fourth year repping a brewery and i was actually lucky enough to win a gold last year for my IPA. That was for a different brewery though, so we will see how things go this year. It was fun to win but most of the fun is always in hanging out with buddies at Falling Rock or going to homebrew events or other fun things like that.

Pizza Port?

LOL just looked at craigslist. If i got it for $100 it'd be a miracle. GABF might have to be skipped this year unfortunately...

Top Bottom