• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Picked up a couple of bottles pre-hurricane.

fKKEUl.jpg

KnkaYl.jpg

Currently enjoying a Funkwerks Saison. Quite a nice Saison. Really light, "clean" (as far as that word can be used in something like a saison) and crisp. Overall very refreshing with just enough funkiness and a little bit of body to hold it together without being heavy. This is actually one of the few beers in this style where they didn't add fruit or pepper or some other flavor to it and it turn out really nice.

tokkun

I get the sense that there has been a surge in popularity in Saisons. At least I am seeing my primary beer store stock and promote a lot more than in previous years.

tokkun said:
I get the sense that there has been a surge in popularity in Saisons. At least I am seeing my primary beer store stock and promote a lot more than in previous years.

Yeah it seems to me that things like Saisons, Brett beers and Sours are kinda like the new trendy thing in craft brew, kinda like the IPA has been, and I am more than OK with that!

We're getting a canned saison here in Seattle next month. It's totally the new hotness.

Sours have been a little slower to take on here in Washington. Oregon has been doing it for a while now with the god-tier Cascade, but a few locals are beginning to catch on, even a few Brett beers, too.

magicstop

Just tried Dogfish Head's Burton Baton . . . it's an oak-aged imperial IPA that is damn delicious. I'm normally luke-warm about DFH, but this is a stellar beer in the category. Belongs with some of the best oaked IPA's out there. Very, very smooth too, which for the hop bill is impressive. Something about the fairly sweet and rich malt backbone just balances it into a smooth, yet high gravity beer.

Tonight, I'm having a 16-year old beer! It's an Old Ale, whose maker and name I forget at the moment. I'll be back with more details, but I'm excited to try an Old Ale that is truly . . . old. I hear it's low to no carbonation, which I'm fine with, as I love cask ales. I just hope the flavors haven't aged in a funky direction.

Viewt

magicstop said:
Just tried Dogfish Head's Burton Baton . . . it's an oak-aged imperial IPA that is damn delicious. I'm normally luke-warm about DFH, but this is a stellar beer in the category. Belongs with some of the best oaked IPA's out there. Very, very smooth too, which for the hop bill is impressive. Something about the fairly sweet and rich malt backbone just balances it into a smooth, yet high gravity beer.

Tonight, I'm having a 16-year old beer! It's an Old Ale, whose maker and name I forget at the moment. I'll be back with more details, but I'm excited to try an Old Ale that is truly . . . old. I hear it's low to no carbonation, which I'm fine with, as I love cask ales. I just hope the flavors haven't aged in a funky direction.
I've been pushing Burton Baton on people for about a year now. I think it may very well be my favorite beer.

Awesome beer day.

Went to:
Naked City Brewery and Taphouse
Pillager's Pub (Baron/Three Skulls Brewing)
My back patio

Drank:
Naked City Podunk Oatmeal IPA
Baron Citrus Wheat (aka tangerine sour)
Hair of the Dog Blue Dot Imperial IPA
Lantern Brewing Pale Ale
New Belgium Lips of Faith Le Terroir (OMG AWESOME)

iOXmLl.jpg

Little bit of RR Damnation this evening. I have to say I am slightly disappointed, not at all because it is a bad beer, in fact, it is a very nice Belgian golden, I was just expecting something a bit more exciting from RR. They have set my standards far too high haha.

Other than that, it is very smooth flavor with a nice creamy mouthfeel. Malty with enough Belgian yeast character to be noticed, but not really in your face.

Orayn

Atramental said:
Just downed one of these for the first time:
http://i.imgur.com/gVcM1.jpg
Plain but very drinkable. I think I've found my favorite "trashy" beer. Haha.
"Beer" being used very loosely. :p

In other news, my dad and I picked up some New Belgium Brewery 1554. I like the darker, toastier taste, but it's a little on the light side. What should I look for if I want a more flavorful version?

magicstop

Orayn said:
"Beer" being used very loosely. :p

In other news, my dad and I picked up some New Belgium Brewery 1554. I like the darker, toastier taste, but it's a little on the light side. What should I look for if I want a more flavorful version?

1554 is fairly unique, as it's not exactly a brown ale, a Belgian ale, or any of the other potential beers it looks like. I like it somewhat, but never pick it unless my options are really ugly.
If you want full flavored darker stuff, it depends on what direction you'd like. If you want Belgian beers, they have varieties known as Strong Ales that come in dark varieties. Usually somewhat sweet and complex, with a typical strong yeast presence and high alcohol content that can often be hidden amongst the other flavors. Fun, but leads to headaches for me!
If you just want dark and delicious, go with something like Founder's Porter. It's a somewhat complex porter with a beautiful taste.
Finally, if you want something a little lighter but with dark color and malt presence expected of a dark beer, go for a decent brown ale. Trying to think of some that aren't overly sweet to my tounge, but I'm having trouble. Not a huge brown ale fan. Maybe Left Hand's brown ale. If I'm going to drink a brown ale, I go with something unorthodox: Indian Brown Ale! Made by Terrapin and by Dogfish Head, they combine the hoppy flavors of an IPA with the body and malt backbone of a brown ale. Interesting, and not always want I want, but definitely unique and good.

Edit: When it's available, get some of The Great Divide's winter ale. I believe it's called Hibernation Ale. It's of the Old Ale style, but it's a little more drinkable than, say, Founder's Old Curmudgeon (which is one of my all time favorite brews that is readily available).

Orayn

magicstop said:
1554 is fairly unique, as it's not exactly a brown ale, a Belgian ale, or any of the other potential beers it looks like. I like it somewhat, but never pick it unless my options are really ugly.
If you want full flavored darker stuff, it depends on what direction you'd like. If you want Belgian beers, they have varieties known as Strong Ales that come in dark varieties. Usually somewhat sweet and complex, with a typical strong yeast presence and high alcohol content that can often be hidden amongst the other flavors. Fun, but leads to headaches for me!
If you just want dark and delicious, go with something like Founder's Porter. It's a somewhat complex porter with a beautiful taste.
Finally, if you want something a little lighter but with dark color and malt presence expected of a dark beer, go for a decent brown ale. Trying to think of some that aren't overly sweet to my tounge, but I'm having trouble. Not a huge brown ale fan. Maybe Left Hand's brown ale. If I'm going to drink a brown ale, I go with something unorthodox: Indian Brown Ale! Made by Terrapin and by Dogfish Head, they combine the hoppy flavors of an IPA with the body and malt backbone of a brown ale. Interesting, and not always want I want, but definitely unique and good.

Edit: When it's available, get some of The Great Divide's winter ale. I believe it's called Hibernation Ale. It's of the Old Ale style, but it's a little more drinkable than, say, Founder's Old Curmudgeon (which is one of my all time favorite brews that is readily available).
I've had and very much enjoyed Stone Brewing Company's Arrogant Bastard, which was apparently an Americanized take on the Strong Ale, so it looks like I've got a new style to explore!

I'll keep my eyes open for Hibernation and Old Crumudgeon as well. It's only a five minute drive from my apartment to one of the biggest, best liquor stores in the state, so I'd say we have a pretty good chance of tracking down one of the two.

magicstop

Orayn said:
I've had and very much enjoyed Stone Brewing Company's Arrogant Bastard, which was apparently an Americanized take on the Strong Ale, so it looks like I've got a new style to explore!

I'll keep my eyes open for Hibernation and Old Crumudgeon as well. It's only a five minute drive from my apartment to one of the biggest, best liquor stores in the state, so I'd say we have a pretty good chance of tracking down one of the two.

Arrogant Bastard is a fantastic brew, and the oaked version is that much better. But don't let the names mislead you. American Strong Ales are very different from Belgian Strong Ales. American ales tend to focus on biscuitty malt, and strong, strong hops. Lots of west coast hops like Centennial, Cascadian, and Chinook are characteristic of these ales, and in the case of Arrogant Bastard, a ton of complex malts and high alcohol to back up the hops. Intense beer, period.
The Belgian stuff is far sweeter, not hoppy per se, strong Belgian yeast flavors, and really the malt notes are where the action is at. Some fruit flavors and other delicious complexities make a really full beer. But very different in flavor to anything bearing an American Strong Ale label.
And then again are the Old Ales. Dark, high alcohol, strong heavy malt bill . . . delicious! Hibernation is a great introduction to the genre, and it's currently my favorite style of beer. Founders does some exceptional ones, and there are some really old beers out there to try.

meadowrag

Banned
Atramental said:
Just downed one of these for the first time:
http://i.imgur.com/gVcM1.jpg[/IMG
Plain but very drinkable. I think I've found my favorite "trashy" beer. Haha.[/QUOTE]

Everyone falls in love with their first one.
However, the more you drink them, they quickly become more and more disgusting until they are downright unbearable. It's like a concoction of piss and liquified peanuts.

meadowrag said:
Everyone falls in love with their first one.
However, the more you drink them, they quickly become more and more disgusting until they are downright unbearable. It's like a concoction of piss and liquified peanuts.
Haha.

Well I think for my next beer I'm going to try one of the pumpkin ones and see how I like those.

zzbD9l.jpg

Just had a NB/Elysian Kick. OMGF!!!!!!!!!!! Go get one now while they are still around.
It says pumpkin, but I coouldn't really get any of that and the cranberry is there just enough to get that cranberry juice dryness on the back of the tongue. Other than that, just a really nice sour.

OK back to my scottish 80/-

sharkmuncher said:
zzbD9l.jpg

Just had a NB/Elysian Kick. OMGF!!!!!!!!!!! Go get one now while they are still around.
It says pumpkin, but I coouldn't really get any of that and the cranberry is there just enough to get that cranberry juice dryness on the back of the tongue. Other than that, just a really nice sour.

Ahhh! I haven't had a beer in awhile now, I really hope they have this at my store :/

sharkmuncher said:

netemh.jpg

Hehe, I actually bought a bottle of Kick tonight. I had a $25 gift certificate for a local bottle shop that I needed to use from my birthday. Only $5.75 for a really nice sour. Easily the cheapest bottled sour I've seen in ages.

Also, for anyone that doesn't know why Elysian (Seattle, WA) and New Belgium (Fort Collins, CO) do so many collaborations, it's because the head brewer at Elysian is dating the owner of New Belgium.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
The sam adams fall variety pack is available. It has some novel and interesting selections. I'm going to get another one while I can.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
distantmantra said:
Hehe, I actually bought a bottle of Kick tonight. I had a $25 gift certificate for a local bottle shop that I needed to use from my birthday. Only $5.75 for a really nice sour. Easily the cheapest bottled sour I've seen in ages.

Also, for anyone that doesn't know why Elysian (Seattle, WA) and New Belgium (Fort Collins, CO) do so many collaborations, it's because the head brewer at Elysian is dating the owner of New Belgium.
They actually have a business relationship. They brew each others beers for distribution in each others areas.

Yaboosh said:
They actually have a business relationship. They brew each others beers for distribution in each others areas.

I heard that it was more than a business relationship. Something about the 2 head brewers...

fake edit: yeah I heard the same thing that distant mantra mentioned at a home brew club meeting today. maybe just a rumor though?

fenners

I was going to brew some British IPA tonight, but can't because my town is under a mandatory "no outside fires" as there's been a ton of out of control wildfires around central Texas (inc my neighbourhood).

Instead, I'm drinking some Jester King Black Metal stout. *yum*.

JHad a litre'o'(spaten)Optimator and a litro'o'*(spaten)Oktoberfest. I am in a good place right noe. Omaha is not that great, but GOD DAMN does it have a great Oktoberfeat scene!@

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
sharkmuncher said:
JHad a litre'o'(spaten)Optimator and a litro'o'*(spaten)Oktoberfest. I am in a good place right noe. Omaha is not that great, but GOD DAMN does it have a great Oktoberfeat scene!@
Hah, sure it was only 2 liters?

AcridMeat said:
Haha, Optimator is pretty good. I prefer Spaten Oktoberfest though, so good choice. You done yourself well. :)

The Oktoberfest was indeede a better beer. pretty much every descriptor of malt (bready, toasty, biscuity, crackery) is present in the Spaen Oktoberfest. there are definitely better Marzen's out there (Sam Adams {embarrassing for Germany I know} and Weinhefstefaner{my spelling is [i don't even care] shit tonight}to name a few)

evilhomer

Mango Positive said:
I highly recommend the Stone 15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA, if you can find it. It's like the very best of a stout and the very best of a west coast IPA at the very same time. It's one of the more exciting new flavors I'v had in a good while. Highly recommended.

stone15-thumb-400x533-48735__320x377.jpg
Will have to look for this. Have had Imperial before but not this beer specifically, sounds great!

In the meantime drinking some Pyramid 'Thunderhead' IPA. It was on sale at the mart and still pretty good for what was a moderate price.

Also! Alos! Let's hear it for gracery stores that know jack shit about beer! Avery is pulling out of distubuing in NE and so whole foods has all of last year's Czar 1/2 off!!!! That means Imperial stout that has been aged in a cold room for 1 year is 1/2 price! Booyah!

edit:
Must resist the Old Chub. that is muc too good a beer for me to be cracking open in my currnet staste

edit: edit: I have a 5 gallon caboy of 10% sketer pee in my kitchen. I added sparliod tonight, but it still tasted good and has lots of booze. maybe that will keep me going

edit: edit: edit: "my name is sharkmucher and I ahve a problem..."
7zEsml.jpg

Mordeccai

Shock Top pumpkin wheat is surprisingly good, tried to find the Punkin ale but it seems the grocery stores in Florida don't carry it. Might have to hunt for it in liquor stores later on this weekend.

Top Bottom