• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

ZBR

The first time I tried beer it was with Coors light and it turned me away from it (typical cheap stuff for underage kids) and I didn't drink it after that. A few months later I tried this and absolutely fell in love with it.

peche_lambic.png

My go to 6 pack would probably have to be Landshark (I have no idea where it falls on the scale of bad to good) for the time being considering that I'm still new to this. So now I'm ready to branch out and try out some of these higher quality beers, so I was looking for recommendations. I was looking at getting several Dogfish brands but we don't get it here (correct me if I'm wrong) in Omaha, NE. I believe our local brewery is Lucky Bucket so I'll definitely be trying some of those out. I was also looking into getting the Samuel Adams Harvest Collection to try a variety out.

ZBR said:
The first time I tried beer it was with Coors light and it turned me away from it (typical cheap stuff for underage kids) and I didn't drink it after that. A few months later I tried this and absolutely fell in love with it.

peche_lambic.png

My go to 6 pack would probably have to be Landshark (I have no idea where it falls on the scale of bad to good) for the time being considering that I'm still new to this. So now I'm ready to branch out and try out some of these higher quality beers, so I was looking for recommendations. I was looking at getting several Dogfish brands but we don't get it here (correct me if I'm wrong) in Omaha, NE. I believe our local brewery is Lucky Bucket so I'll definitely be trying some of those out. I was also looking into getting the Samuel Adams Harvest Collection to try a variety out.
make your way over to the crescent moon. They have a huge selection on tap, including some Belgian fruit beers you would probably enjoy. As far as lucky bucket goes, its alright. Both the IPA and the certified evil are better than the lager in my opinion. Also, try to find some peche made by castle brewery. Leagues better than the lindmans.

mxsdA.jpg

What we have here is a Certified Evil float. (Lucky Bucket's Certified Evil + Ice Cream)
It was...interesting. The first 1/3 or so was actually pretty tasty, but then it just got to be too much. If I ever did it again, I would use something more malt focused. The CE had too much going on, I was really starting to taste the cardamom and oak towards the end and it was kind of clashing with the ice cream in an unpleasant way.

matt360

Mordeccai said:
Shock Top pumpkin wheat is surprisingly good, tried to find the Punkin ale but it seems the grocery stores in Florida don't carry it. Might have to hunt for it in liquor stores later on this weekend.

What area in Florida?

ZBR

sharkmuncher said:
make your way over to the crescent moon. They have a huge selection on tap, including some Belgian fruit beers you would probably enjoy. As far as lucky bucket goes, its alright. Both the IPA and the certified evil are better than the lager in my opinion. Also, try to find some peche made by castle brewery. Leagues better than the lindmans.

thank you for the advice!! Hopefully I develop a good pallet for beer.

kottila said:
I don't think I've ever seen a pumpkin ale in this country. How much pumpkin does it taste?

More often than not the pumpkin imparts very little flavor. As a result, they usually load the beer with a shitload of pumpkin-related spices like nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, etc. Though probably a lot of people would disagree, even though almost every brewery in America seems to be making pumpkin beers these days, 99% of them are really awful.

ZBR said:

Landshark is just another macro light lager, so it's not really anything special at all. Sam Adams is definitely a good entry level beer that's widely available. Variety packs from them are even better since it will get you trying a couple different things at once. From there it largely depends on what you get in your area.

tokkun

RiggenBlaque said:
More often than not the pumpkin imparts very little flavor. As a result, they usually load the beer with a shitload of pumpkin-related spices like nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, etc. Though probably a lot of people would disagree, even though almost every brewery in America seems to be making pumpkin beers these days, 99% of them are really awful.

It's a divisive style. I enjoy having a few each year, but it's not something I would drink year round.

I have the chance (?) in Euroland so we have some good beer around here, but I admit the beer I like the most are the red fruit-flavored one, even if I now can enjoy some other beers (maybe my tastes matured ?). My favorites :
Kasteel Rouge
biere-kasteel-rouge-8.jpg

Kriek aux Fruits Rouges
kriek-halal-bic3a8re-belge.jpg

Trappe Tripple - not fruit-flavored, but it's in my opinion not as bitter as the other 8° beer :
1__170__VE__Trappe-triple.jpg

And now gentlemen, behold, the 2nd worst beer I ever tasted :
biere-50-cl-koenigsbier-45.jpg

And the first one is...
Carrefour_Koenigsbier_Extra_Forte.JPG

The funny thing is that my friends and I drank so much of that extra cheap beer that we grew fond of it, and we always have some shitty beer in a party
lol.gif

Evlar

Banned
Local grocer got the first pumpkin beers in stock I've seen this year. They had Shipyard and Blue Moon: Either of these worthwhile?

Headed to Nebraska tomorrow night for the UW-UNL football game. Looking forward to trying Lucky Bucket and picking up some Jolly Pumpkin La Roja.

Evlar said:
Local grocer got the first pumpkin beers in stock I've seen this year. They had Shipyard and Blue Moon: Either of these worthwhile?

Blue Moon's pumpkin beer is good for a BMC. Never had Shipyard before.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
sharkmuncher said:
mxsdA.jpg

What we have here is a Certified Evil float. (Lucky Bucket's Certified Evil + Ice Cream)
It was...interesting. The first 1/3 or so was actually pretty tasty, but then it just got to be too much. If I ever did it again, I would use something more malt focused. The CE had too much going on, I was really starting to taste the cardamom and oak towards the end and it was kind of clashing with the ice cream in an unpleasant way.
The Drafthouse theater in Austin makes a Guinness milkshake, and when 512 Pecan Porter is on tap, you can sub that in. Excellent either way.

Evlar

Banned
I hunted down some Dogfish Head Punkin Ale instead. My first try at a pumpkin ale... Really enjoyed it! I was bracing myself for some sort of sugary sodabeer thing, second cousin to Dr. Pepper, but it's nothing of the sort. This was simply a well-formed beer with a little pumpkin mellowness upfront and slight cinnamon and allspice on the back end... emphasis on slight. Hardly any head, though that may have been partly my pour. Just about the sweet spot for alcohol content, too. Really quite exceptionally good.

... And it damn well better be good at $19 for a 4-pack.

EDIT: Saw the discussion below above about Florida carrying this. I bought it in Florida, so there's no state licensing issue.

Erehael

Neo Member
When I was traveling on the west coast a couple of weeks ago I've tasted quite a few local beers but this one was my favorite by far: http://www.marinbrewing.com.
The ales where amazing, especially the Point Reyes Porter. Changed my opinion on American beers :p.

My country is not famous for good beer, but there are a few smaller breweries that make some fine beers.
Appenzeller Holzfass-Bier:
fcc78cd3e5.png

Erehael

Neo Member
AcridMeat said:
Funny, Marin Brewing Company is just a few minutes from here. Their beers are good indeed!

Oh how I envy you. I wish there were any good Breweries close by.
Want to swap places? ;)

Me said:
Headed to Nebraska tomorrow night for the UW-UNL football game. Looking forward to trying Lucky Bucket and picking up some Jolly Pumpkin La Roja.

So far tried:

Upstream:
Flagship IPA
Terre Mere Saison (w/ jasmine and green tea)

Lucky Bucket:
IPA
Lager
Certified Evil

Thunderhead:
Golden Frau

Went to Beertopia, Nebraska hasn't got any Jolly Pumpkin for a year now. Still have a Thunderhead Cornstalker to try and we're hitting up Misty's and Empyrean tomorrow before the game in Lincoln.

Darkatomz

Evlar said:
I hunted down some Dogfish Head Punkin Ale instead. My first try at a pumpkin ale... Really enjoyed it! I was bracing myself for some sort of sugary sodabeer thing, second cousin to Dr. Pepper, but it's nothing of the sort. This was simply a well-formed beer with a little pumpkin mellowness upfront and slight cinnamon and allspice on the back end... emphasis on slight. Hardly any head, though that may have been partly my pour. Just about the sweet spot for alcohol content, too. Really quite exceptionally good.

... And it damn well better be good at $19 for a 4-pack.

EDIT: Saw the discussion below above about Florida carrying this. I bought it in Florida, so there's no state licensing issue.
Jeezus where the hell do you live?? Dogfish Head Punkin costs like $12-13 here. It's good, but I don't think it's $20 good.

NJust spent the evening in downtown Kansas City. Had many very tasty beers remembered only celebraorror dopplebock and weinhefsteganer weisbeer. Among 9or 10 others. May report an update tomorrow. Also monks cafe ftw!

mCACGj

Seattle Beer GAF:

Gonna be out in Seattle on business in two weeks. I'm not sure where I'll be staying, but I think close to the Seattle Art Museum (closer to like 4th and Seneca St.). Any good beer shops around there? Any good seasonal beers on the West Coast right now?

mCACGj said:
Seattle Beer GAF:

Gonna be out in Seattle on business in two weeks. I'm not sure where I'll be staying, but I think close to the Seattle Art Museum (closer to like 4th and Seneca St.). Any good beer shops around there? Any good seasonal beers on the West Coast right now?

There really isn't a good bottle shop downtown. Aside from the Whole Foods on Westlake, your closest and best bet is probably Full Throttle Bottles down in Georgetown. Bottleworks and Last Drop are up in North Seattle, but worth visiting. Fresh hop ales are out along with the pumpkin beers.

Had a 3 hour layover at Salt Lake City airport last night and encountered Utah beer laws in person at the Squatters Pub Brewery restaurant by my gate. Nothing on tap over 4% ABV and anything higher than that has to be sold in bottle. Wow.

distantmantra said:
Had a 3 hour layover at Salt Lake City airport last night and encountered Utah beer laws in person at the Squatters Pub Brewery restaurant by my gate. Nothing on tap over 4% ABV and anything higher than that has to be sold in bottle. Wow.
I wonder how hard the beer lobby works to keep this law in place. Basically keeps anything that isn't a light American macrobrew lager off the taps.

StrikerObi said:
I wonder how hard the beer lobby works to keep this law in place. Basically keeps anything that isn't a light American macrobrew lager off the taps.

Yeah, it was weird. I had their Full Suspension Pale Ale and the Polygamy Porter. Neither were bad for 4% ABV. The good stuff (ie. IPA, Imperial IPA and Belgian Strong) were bottle only, but could be consumed on the premises.

Giard

la-verte-du-mont-blanc-33-cl.jpeg

Tasted this during a trip to France. Green beer.

It was great, really refreshing. Deserves a taste if you can find some.

Found this in back of a bottom shelf in a liquor store in KC this weekend. Pretty much made my weekend!
r5coql.jpg

Also picked up some Lagunitas "Little Sumpin' Sumpin'" (both normal and wild) and some founders Centennial IPA and Rye. A great beer weekend overall and get to look forward to the biggest Oktoberfest in Omaha this weekend. Hooray Beer!

"It's the moooost wonderfulll time of the yeeaar!"

2d82r94.jpg

I had Fresh Hop Mirror Pond last year on tap at my neighborhood pub and it was fantastic. Nice that Deschutes is bottling it this year.

magicstop

sharkmuncher said:
Found this in back of a bottom shelf in a liquor store in KC this weekend. Pretty much made my weekend!
http://i.imgur.com/r5coql.jpg
Also picked up some Lagunitas "Little Sumpin' Sumpin'" (both normal and wild) and some founders Centennial IPA and Rye. A great beer weekend overall and get to look forward to the biggest Oktoberfest in Omaha this weekend. Hooray Beer!

Sounds like a great line up of beer! Mephistopheles is absolutely intense. Up there with The Abyss, KBS, etc. Definitely a sipper stout. Unfortunately, it has more licorice notes than I care for, and kinda came out cough-syrupy to me. Still definitely worth trying.
Wish I could find "Little Sumpin' Sumpin'" around here . . . Plenty of Lagunitas, but can't ever seem to find that. My friends have really recommended it.

USD

Just came in here to say I love Stella Artois, I'm not much of a beer drinker (though overall beer is tolerable), but it's the only one I've tried that I actually enjoy drink. I'll probably just Crtl+F Stella Artois in this thread to find other good stuff.

Unrelated, but Umeshu + vanilla ice cream is one of the greatest creations ever. And the funny thing is I just thought of it on my own, though when I googled it, it was a common recommendation. Umeshu-soaked brownies are also a drug.

USD

HiResDes said:
I'd rather buy a forty of OE than waste my money on Stella
I pretty much never buy beer (95% of all alcohol I have had has been mooched, not that much of a drinker anyway), so I don't have too much a problem with paying a bit for it. I have no problems with going for cheaper stuff, as long as it's good though.

HiResDes

Oh that wasn't really a recommendation as much as my viewpoint on the beer...But being that Stella is a Pale Lager, I'd suggest trying other beers within the style.

Maybe Harp or Bell's Lager, which are also Pale Lagers and quite easy to find.

USD said:
I pretty much never buy beer (95% of all alcohol I have had has been mooched, not that much of a drinker anyway), so I don't have too much a problem with paying a bit for it. I have no problems with going for cheaper stuff, as long as it's good though.

We're not complaining about the price. Stella is overpriced swill.

HiResDes

@USD In all seriousness, I'd also recommend this, it's similar but smoother and cheaper:

fatcat.JPG

@Joe, have you had Namaste, shit is godlike.

magicstop

Imperial Hot said:
In North Carolina and want to pick up two different twelve packs of beer. I'm a novice. What do you recommend GAF?

Awww, man. What part of NC are you in? That will make a big difference as to what's available.
If you are in Western NC, especially Asheville, you are in LUCK. We've won Beer City USA for the last 2 or 3 years in a row, and have a phenomenal beer culture.
So yeah, what part of NC and what types of beers do you enjoy?

HiResDes said:
What do you like, show some effort in getting a good recommendation

To be fair, he did say he was a novice.

@ Imperial Hot: Maybe a 12 pack isn't the way to go? Try a local liquor store or winery and see if they have a mix and match option i suppose. A little expensive, but the best way to find out what you like and don't. Plus, its the only way you will ever get certain beers in your area.

Raleigh area. I would've given more info if I had. I drink typical college beer like
Bud light and I want to broaden my horizons. Have had Landshark and enjoyed it. I'm just trying to branch out.

Joe said:
my favorite beer of the moment....

erM8i.jpg

although I am starting to get bored of wheat beer...

Same here. I find that it's a great beer to drink when not really in the mood for "traditional" beer :)
Plus, I love those huge 0.5L glasses they usually serve them in.

Top Bottom