• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

magicstop

Imperial Hot said:
Raleigh area. I would've given more info if I had. I drink typical college beer like
Bud light and I want to broaden my horizons. Have had Landshark and enjoyed it. I'm just trying to branch out.

Heh, I'm in the Chapel Hill area. If you want to grab a beer this weekend, give me a shout.
As far as "broadening your horizons," I'd start slow. If you jump to an IPA or imperial stout now, chances are you will forever wrinkle your nose at beer.
Good local choices . . . hmmm. Red Oak makes a couple of great lagers. Anything by them should be pretty solid and more of a style to what you are used to. Big Boss Brewing (in Raleigh) makes a couple of beers you may be interested in: Blanco Diablo and Angry Angel. They are both on the lighter, crisper end. Finally, if you want to try something dark, but that is still kind of mild and accessible, Sweet Josie brown ale from Lonerider Brewing should be ok. It'll give you a taste of heavier malt bills, but is mild and sweet enough to be enjoyed by most people, me thinks.

Good luck!

Spent the evening at a wedding reception in Minneapolis and it was BYOB. I had z nice mix of Surly, New Glarus and Bells. What a great evening. (although I did find New Glarus to be good, but slightly over-rated)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's that time of year again! Pumpkin Ales!

Probably my favorite beer ever:

punkin-ale.png

I just bought 40 of these to hopefully last me until the end of the year. The go pretty quickly at the local market that carries them.

sharkmuncher said:
Spent the evening at a wedding reception in Minneapolis and it was BYOB. I had z nice mix of Surly, New Glarus and Bells. What a great evening. (although I did find New Glarus to be good, but slightly over-rated)

Surly!

I had a layover in Minneapolis the other week and found the one bar at the airport that actually had Surly. Goooood times.

kendrid

Banned
Zefah said:

punkin-ale.png

I just bought 40 of these to hopefully last me until the end of the year. The go pretty quickly at the local market that carries them.

I just had one of these the other night and it was amazing. I really like how the cinnamon taste is strong.

Here is another 'rare' beer to try if you can find it, Great Lakes Nosferatu.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceyandkevin/6209483613/
6209483613_8e2aaae997.jpg

P6Nul.jpg

What we have here is an example of a Light American Light Lager, Bud Light. It has subtle hints of the elusive beer flavor mixed in with much water and a wee bit of EtOH. But it sure goes well with hockey!

meadowrag

Banned
Coming into this thread always make me sad about how crappy the beer selection is here. I can't even enjoy a beer anymore because the selection is so limited and I'm tired of the one good brand the store here carries. It's dismal.

kendrid said:
I just had one of these the other night and it was amazing. I really like how the cinnamon taste is strong.

Here is another 'rare' beer to try if you can find it, Great Lakes Nosferatu.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceyandkevin/6209483613/
6209483613_8e2aaae997.jpg

It's only rare in that it comes out once a year (around Halloween) and I can tell you where to find some after it goes out of seasonal favor. :)

I could swear GLB reduced the ABV in it after it's debut run too.

I had a 12 pack of GLB Oktoberfest in the shopping cart tonight, but then I rounded the corner to discover Yuengling is now available in the lamer cleveland area. :D

So I snagged a 12 pack of cheap goodness instead.

bryehn

Drinkin' a Double Dead Guy right now, it's far superior to and completely different from Dead Guy, not nearly as sweet.

Hit up Elysian's Great Pumpkin Beer Festival today. Had the following:

Allagash Ghouleschip -- Sour pumpkin ale aged since October 2009 in French oak Chardonnay barrels
Elysian Headless Horsey -- Young Brett sour
Elysian Mr. Yuck -- Sour pumpkin ale
Elysian & Tom Douglas' Saison of the Witch -- Baby Pam pumpkin saison brewed with fennel
Elysian Ursa Orange -- Berlinerweiss with pumpkin syrup
Elysian The Great Pumpkin -- Imperial Pumpkin Ale served from a giant pumpkin
Iron Hill Punktoberfest -- Strong pumpkin lager
Jolly Pumpkin La Percela 2008 -- Three year old oak aged sour pumpkin ale
Russian River Sour Pumpkin 2010 -- Brett fermented barrel aged sour pumpkin ale

AcridMeat

Banned
Nice to see this thread bumped. For me tonight,
Becks-Oktoberfest-6-pack-WEB.jpg

649.jpg

Beck's isn't as good as I was expecting, though I drank it after having the Paulaner which was really nice and heavy.

90 Shilling pint night at the Crescent Moon. 1st pint $5.50, $1.75 after that and you get to keep the glass. Yay!.

I really am a sucker for a decent Scottish Ale and Odell's 90/- is no exception. Not quite as rich and malty as something like Old Chub or Great Divide's Claymore, but a great beer nonetheless. I am also pretty excited to add another Odell's glass to my collection. I believe I am now only an Easy Street glass away from owning their entire standard collection and have Isolation and their Red for seasonals. Stupid glasses are like Pokemon, gotta drink (and then collect) 'em all!

KWsQkl.jpg

Double post time...2 days apart.
I am currently enjoying Boulder Beer's Killer Penguin 2010 barleywine and it is divine! Pretty much everything I want in a barleywine, huge emphasis on malt character, deep red color, plenty of hop bitterness, but hardly any flavor or aroma! One of those barleywines that I would never confuse with a IIPA. Now I understand that people love their super hoppy beers and American Barley Wines are no exception, but I am apparently in love with the malt bombs. I think I might move on to a Lagunita's Wild Lil Sumthin' Sumthin' after this. Ttat should put me down for the night haha.

and here she is
i5pSCl.jpg

Great beer with some lovely funk. mmmm

edit: Bonus Picture time!!!!
This is what happens when your kegorator doubles as your fermentor. The 5 gallons in my main fridge is an Old Jubilation clone that I wanted to cold crash and need to keg. The problem is both of my kegs are about half full and needed to be placed in the kegorator in order to make one of the all the way empty.
cwr3gl.jpg

ps don't worry, I do have food in the drawers and the freezer. This is also one of the few advantages of being single haha.

Mr. Hyde

My girlfriend & I picked up a choose your own six pack of different pumpkin beers and also a six pack of Wood Chuck's Fall cider from the new Total Wine in Orlando. We haven't tried the pumpkin beers yet, but the Fall cider is delicious. On another pumpkin beer note, I tried Pumpking beer last week and it was quite amazing.

Evlar

Banned
Zefah said:

punkin-ale.png

I had my first bottle a few weeks ago (documented in this thread): I agree, it's amazing.

Picked up that three-pack of Chimay with the chalice. This was my first taste of both Red (a very good dubbel) and White (my least favorite of the three). Blue is just great, and still my preference out of the few Belgian beers I've tasted.

Honestly though, I bought it for the chalice. I've been drinking good beers out of the bottle or a tall glass for too long.

Was just in Hawaii and had to taste some of the local brews:

This was pretty good:
KON_FR_bottle.png

This was OK, but a little too heavy on hop aroma without a lot of flavor or body to back it up:
maui_big-swell.jpg

Went to a Dogfish Head alehouse for the first time tonight. Hadn't tried the Alehouse 75 or their Black and Tan before, both were pretty good.

Tried a sample of their Black and Red--apparently some minty desert tasting thing. Was terrible. Guess they can't all be winners.

Myzer said:
Tonights beverage

VInk9.jpg

check the batch date.

Well, how was it? Did it have that those awesome sherry qualities and a little bit of the musty, old beer thing going on? 12 years is a pretty damn long time for a beer and it still looks like it has some pretty good carbonation.

What we have here is a 15.3% M.E.A.D. Mead.
R0ZqTl.jpg

It was "brewed" in July of '10 and has a bit of jet fuel taste to it. So I added some honey to the glass and it helped quite a bit. This is following a 10% Imperial Brown IPA I got from some random dude at a homebrew fest in August (thanks random dude) and a North Coast 2011 Old Stock.

Beer people, we need to have a chat. Why is there only one beer of malty amzingness (such as Old Stock, Old Chub, etc.) for every 20-30 IPAs or IIPAs or IIIPAs out there. I get it that everyone loves the hops and what not, but come on, start drinking some fucking variety...(end rant)

ppps. chivas regal is gov'ment stamped and approved as healthy....

AcridMeat

Banned
I've been drinking Prohibition Ale, Spaten Oktoberfest, Old Chub and Beck's Oktoberfest. Probably going to go get some fall cider soon.

I don't really have an answer. It's what is popular right now. I can't say for sure how or why because I've only been able to legally drink for a year so I haven't paid attention.

matt360

Mr. Hyde said:
My girlfriend & I picked up a choose your own six pack of different pumpkin beers and also a six pack of Wood Chuck's Fall cider from the new Total Wine in Orlando. We haven't tried the pumpkin beers yet, but the Fall cider is delicious. On another pumpkin beer note, I tried Pumpking beer last week and it was quite amazing.

Do you live in Orlando? There's a new place that opened up in Port Orange called House for Beer in the new Port Orange Pavilion Shopping Center that has Pumking on tap. Along with a shitload of other amazing things on tap and in bottles. Port Orange also just got a beer world.

I'm stuck in Japan until December, but when I come home to Daytona this winter I'll be all over both of those places!!!

Myzer

sharkmuncher said:
Well, how was it? Did it have that those awesome sherry qualities and a little bit of the musty, old beer thing going on? 12 years is a pretty damn long time for a beer and it still looks like it has some pretty good carbonation.

Yep. it has a definate sherry quality but with more toffee and caramel taste of the malts. I think it works as an extreme aged beer as it is unfiltered, bottled conditioned.

Although the carbonation looked good there was a bit of a syrup mouth feel. I would say it is a beer to experience for the the nature of trying a beer that is aged like a whiskey or wine, but it would never become an every day beer.

Joe said:
my favorite beer of the moment....

erM8i.jpg

although I am starting to get bored of wheat beer...
The best thing about this glass is that you can put it in the freezer in order to keep your beverage really cold. It's really awesome.

Myzer

Meadows said:
Just thought I'd chime in to say that Canadian beer is amazing, and imo better than British beer. Meadows out.

Recommend something.

I'm along way from Canada and have seen one Canadian beer in my local, and I can't remember the name of it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ooh, I didn't know Rogue had a pumpkin brew.

Have you tried it?

LProtag

Had a Shipyard pumpkin ale the other day. Wasn't exactly like most pumpkin ales... tasted more like pumpkin pie as opposed to pumpkin. Not bad, but certainly very sweet. Almost felt like a nice dessert beer.

Anyone else have opinions on it? Also what other pumpkin beers should I look out for before they're gone? I've had the Dogfish already.

dubc35

distantmantra said:
Dinner tonight at the neighborhood pub. Psyched.
Latona Pub FTW! My favorite pub in Seattle.

Enjoying a Deschutes Inversion IPA right now.

edit, that Rogue pumpkin reminded me to check on Elysian's great pumpkin ale (seriously, it's like a liquid pumpkin pie). I called Tangletown and all locations are already out of it. :(

KHarvey16

InsertNameHere said:
Had a Shipyard pumpkin ale the other day. Wasn't exactly like most pumpkin ales... tasted more like pumpkin pie as opposed to pumpkin. Not bad, but certainly very sweet. Almost felt like a nice dessert beer.

Anyone else have opinions on it? Also what other pumpkin beers should I look out for before they're gone? I've had the Dogfish already.

The Shipyard is a little disappointing, just think it's kind of bland and weird. If you're looking for pumpkin recommendations, the best one I've had is definitely Southern Tier Pumking.

kokujin

Banned
Joe said:
my favorite beer of the moment....

erM8i.jpg

although I am starting to get bored of wheat beer...
Had this at Epcot's Food & Wine Festival last week and liked it.I like it, but I can't find it anywhere near me.

matt360 said:
Do you live in Orlando? There's a new place that opened up in Port Orange called House for Beer in the new Port Orange Pavilion Shopping Center that has Pumking on tap. Along with a shitload of other amazing things on tap and in bottles. Port Orange also just got a beer world.

I'm stuck in Japan until December, but when I come home to Daytona this winter I'll be all over both of those places!!!
Awesome, I'm in Ormond.I heard about House of Beer, but didn't know it was open.I'll check it out next week.

dubc35 said:
Latona Pub FTW! My favorite pub in Seattle.

Yep. I live in Greenlake, so Latona is the go to place. I had the New Belgium Fresh Hop IPA last night. It was pretty much a standard IPA. Fremont's Cowiche Canyon fresh hop pale ale is still my favorite this season.

edit, that Rogue pumpkin reminded me to check on Elysian's great pumpkin ale (seriously, it's like a liquid pumpkin pie). I called Tangletown and all locations are already out of it. :(

I went to the Great Pumpkin Beer Festival a couple weekends ago at Elysian's new brewing facility in Georgetown. They had it on tap in pumpkins.

dubc35

I haven't had that Fremont one. So jelly about the GPA, such a tasty beverage. I live a little north of you in Maple Leaf/Wedgwood. My wife and I love Latona. We're pretty close to the Fiddler's Inn but it just isn't the same.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Zefah said:

punkin-ale.png

This is good stuff. Hard to find though and they run out quickly.

I've been drinking Sam Adam's Octoberfest in general since it's easier to find.

dubc35 said:
I haven't had that Fremont one. So jelly about the GPA, such a tasty beverage. I live a little north of you in Maple Leaf/Wedgwood. My wife and I love Latona. We're pretty close to the Fiddler's Inn but it just isn't the same.

Yeah, my wife and I live on 68th near the Park and Ride. It takes us about 5 minutes to walk to Latona.

Hudson (next to Last Drop Bottle Shop) over in Maple Leaf is great. They've got Le Terroir on tap right now. I stopped in the other night for a pint and some truffle fries.

Last night I learned I can buy 12oz bottles of Optimator at the UNO hockey games for the same price as a Bud Light. 4 Dopplebocks in and I was well on my way to a great evening. I wish more American brewers would put out dopplebocks, it is such a great style.

Any fans of imperial stouts in here? The Bruery released their Black Tuesday Stout today at 10am PST, and it was sold out in an hour. A couple of friends were able to purchase them. I can't wait to sample some.

Top Bottom