• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I absolutely love imperial stouts and porters. I don't drink them often, though, because they tend to be very high in alcohol content and only come in 22 oz. bombers, and I'm not always looking to get that drunk.

Zefah said:
I absolutely love imperial stouts and porters. I don't drink them often, though, because they tend to be very high in alcohol content and only come in 22 oz. bombers, and I'm not always looking to get that drunk.

Cool. If anyone finds themselves near the old town Orange, tomorrow be aware. They're gonna have tastings for their Black Tuesday Stout tomorrow, starting at 12 noon.

My friend opened up his '09 bottle at his wedding, but had it in storage for about a year. It was rich, and pretty damn smooth even with its high alcohol content.

x0Oij.jpg

KbVqh.jpg

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I had Black Tuesday at GABF and thought it was a sweet, syrupy mess. Last year was great, but this year was bad. I couldn't even finish my 1 oz sample.

Yaboosh said:
I had Black Tuesday at GABF and thought it was a sweet, syrupy mess. Last year was great, but this year was bad. I couldn't even finish my 1 oz sample.

Ah, crap. Seems to be far different than the first batch in 09', which was great fresh, and even better aged. I'll report my findings once we sample.

Weekend brewery tour report:

Lahnt Neppur (Waitsburg, WA)
Wild Hop Ale -- Fresh hop pale ale brewed with wild hops found growing near the brewery.
Imperial IPA

Big House Brewing (Walla Walla, WA)
IPA

Atomc Ale house (Richland, WA)
Plutonium Porter

Ice Habor Brewing (Kennewick, WA)
Indian Winter Ale -- Mixture of an IPA with a winter warmer on cask at the brewery. Very tasty.

So, I will be traveling to Brussels, Belgium this winter and I will like some suggestions on some local breweries I can visit. Does anyone know, particularly those in Belgium or have visited Belgium, specifically in Brussels and Bruges, any good local breweries?

6177963814_d863a03230.jpg

Zombie Dust, one of my current favorite beers, by a local brewery in my hometown, Three Floyds. Tasty stuff.

Same with Gumball Head, awesome beer by Three Floyds
gumballhead-e1263487126681.jpg

And for the best dark beer in the world, Robert the Bruce, again, Three Floyds
robertthebruce.jpg

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
eudaemonic said:
Pfffft... should be drinking this anyways.

AleSmith Speedway Stout

Best one out there, in my opinion. Great brewery overall.
Alesmith is indeed great. It is nice to be able to pick up some Speedway Stout whenever I like. I have a bottle in my fridge, along with some 2010 Dark Lord.

I had some Firestone Walker Black Xantus a few weeks ago, and that stuff is ridiculously good.

trs1080

Neo Member
brianmcdoogle said:
So, I will be traveling to Brussels, Belgium this winter and I will like some suggestions on some local breweries I can visit. Does anyone know, particularly those in Belgium or have visited Belgium, specifically in Brussels and Bruges, any good local breweries?

I didn't go to any breweries when I was there a couple years ago, only there on a day trip from London, but I assume you'll be checking out the Delirium Cafe? A beer mecca if there ever was one.

trs1080

Neo Member
Scuba Steve said:
Same with Gumball Head, awesome beer by Three Floyds
gumballhead-e1263487126681.jpg

Painful, I used to be able to walk into the local Binny's in Chicago and find this on the shelves. It's one of my favs.

Haven't been able to find a six pack of this in months it feels like.

Somehow though there's a Buffalo Wild Wings nearby that has it in their cooler. What a waste, that should be on the shelf, for me to buy :(

zerotol

Banned
I picked this up today

QVlS4.jpg

I bought one of these last year but ended up giving to a relative during Christmas. I'm opening this one up now.

How well-respected is Pyramid? I got a 24-pack that comes with six each of four varieties and I'm pretty disappointed with it.

I'm still just kind of getting into quality beer, so I'm not going to try to describe any flavors or anything, but the Snow Cap is the only one I'd buy again. The Apricot flavor is kind of growing on me, like I said I don't really have the vocabulary yet to describe it accurately but it tastes like beer initially with a really strong apricot aftertaste. It just sort of looks weird to, it has an apricotty color to it that makes it look like someone just poured some apricot juice into some beer.

Interestingly a few girls I gave one of the apricot beers to really enjoyed it despite regularly being "hard liquor only" types. A guy friend who had one really like it to, so this one may just be me.

The Hefeweizen and Thunderhead aren't bad by any means, but also nothing too exciting imo.

I've been wondering if they're just not too my taste or if Pyramid is maybe known for not being too great.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
dr3upmushroom said:
How well-respected is Pyramid? I got a 24-pack that comes with six each of four varieties and I'm pretty disappointed with it.

I'm still just kind of getting into quality beer, so I'm not going to try to describe any flavors or anything, but the Snow Cap is the only one I'd buy again. The Apricot flavor is kind of growing on me, like I said I don't really have the vocabulary yet to describe it accurately but it tastes like beer initially with a really strong apricot aftertaste. It just sort of looks weird to, it has an apricotty color to it that makes it look like someone just poured some apricot juice into some beer.

Interestingly a few girls I gave one of the apricot beers to really enjoyed it despite regularly being "hard liquor only" types. A guy friend who had one really like it to, so this one may just be me.

The Hefeweizen and Thunderhead aren't bad by any means, but also nothing too exciting imo.

I've been wondering if they're just not too my taste or if Pyramid is maybe known for not being too great.
Not well respected.

yacobod

Banned
Scuba Steve said:
6177963814_d863a03230.jpg

Zombie Dust, one of my current favorite beers, by a local brewery in my hometown, Three Floyds. Tasty stuff.

i picked up a case of ZD like a month and a half ago. my favorite beer right now.

Viewt

trs1080 said:
I didn't go to any breweries when I was there a couple years ago, only there on a day trip from London, but I assume you'll be checking out the Delirium Cafe? A beer mecca if there ever was one.
I'll echo this, but there is ONE MORE THING.

If you have time to venture out to the small area of Westvleteren, you can visit the Westvleteren Trappist Monastery and buy one of the most prized beers in the world:

Westvleteren.jpg

The Westvleteren 12

This beer is not distributed out of Belgium, and the monks only make enough to fund their charities. I bought a six-pack on eBay and paid $120 with shipping - this is actually a pretty decent price compared to the average auction.

But oh my - it is heavenly. If you've ever had Chimay Grande Reserve, it's a bit like that, but so much more wonderfully complex. You'll go through a half-dozen layers of tastes.

If you go to the monastery's cafe, you'll be able to buy a couple cases for much, much less than I paid for only six bottles. I strongly recommend that you do so.

Viewt said:
I'll echo this, but there is ONE MORE THING.

If you have time to venture out to the small area of Westvleteren, you can visit the Westvleteren Trappist Monastery and buy one of the most prized beers in the world.

The Abbey is way out of the way, you'd need to rent a car to get there. You can buy bottles of Westy at Beer Mania in Brussels and while there is a mark up, it's not nearly as much as ebay. I have one bottle of Westy 12 left that I'm saving for the birth of my daughter in February.

Avoid Delirium, it's a terrible tourist trap. Definitely hit up the Cantillon brewery in Brussels, and I'll give you a list of bars in the city when I get home tonight. My wife and I were there this past April.

Yaboosh said:
Not well respected.
Alright, thanks for clearing that up. It's probably just because I live in Sacramento but I've heard multiple people say they really like Pyramid, and a few people have told me that Hefeweizen is their favorite beer. It was a real letdown trying it after all the hype, I'm glad to here that Pyramid isn't widely regarded as the one of the best breweries.

Venfayth

Well, today is my 21st birthday. I've had naty ice before, but that is the limit of the beer/alcohol that I've had. I've never been very adventurous, so, gaf, where should I start?

Acullis said:
Well, today is my 21st birthday. I've had naty ice before, but that is the limit of the beer/alcohol that I've had. I've never been very adventurous, so, gaf, where should I start?

I would recommend either find a brewpub near you that serves tasters and get a nice line up of 10-12 tasters or get a mixed 12 pack from some brewery such as Sam Adams (should be able to find everywhere), Boulevard, New Belgium, etc. Just try a bunch of different styles and find out what you like. Also, pour your beer into a glass if you actually want to taste it. Scent is a huge part of beer.

HOWEVER, most people find a nice wheat such as Boulevard Wheat, New Belgium Sunshine or Blue Moon to be a pretty nice "gate-way" beer. Other than that, Stouts/Porters if you want something dark and roasty, Pale Ales/India Pale Ales (IPAs) if you want to learn what hops are all about. Just go try a random assortment and report back!

thespot84

Acullis said:

where are you?

Veritas_

I only started drinking once I turned 21 so I'm still very inexperienced in the world of beer, however I have found a few I like as I've been progressing into more complex and heavier brews. My apologies to the nice people I stole borrowed these pictures from.

Going from left to right.

X17TU.jpg
1LoE5.jpg
3RYQV.jpg

Tusker Pale Lager Imported from Kenya. This is like the McRib of the beer world for me. There's nothing terribly remarkable about it other then the fact that it's rare, but I did enjoy it all the same. Ridiculously pale, but still refreshing.

Bell's Oberon The first time I had this was on tap after a long day in the sun. Super refreshing and easy to drink, already makes me miss the Summer.

Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar My current favorite, although not carried locally. Smooth and rich with a delicious hazelnut taste. It was like drinking an alcoholic hazelnut latte, or something.

Acullis said:

With it being your 21st, get liquored up son!!!

After that, just try everything. I recommend lighter beers to start with. Like a Shocktop or Stella. Then move on from there!

Happy birthday btw

Someone told me it was International Stout Day so I took advantage of a new beer shipment and had Bell's Special Double Cream Stout. Very smooth- good stuff. Not as crazy as the Ten Fidy I cracked open last night but I didn't want it to be.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
sharkmuncher said:
I would recommend either find a brewpub near you that serves tasters and get a nice line up of 10-12 tasters or get a mixed 12 pack from some brewery such as Sam Adams (should be able to find everywhere), Boulevard, New Belgium, etc. Just try a bunch of different styles and find out what you like. Also, pour your beer into a glass if you actually want to taste it. Scent is a huge part of beer.

HOWEVER, most people find a nice wheat such as Boulevard Wheat, New Belgium Sunshine or Blue Moon to be a pretty nice "gate-way" beer. Other than that, Stouts/Porters if you want something dark and roasty, Pale Ales/India Pale Ales (IPAs) if you want to learn what hops are all about. Just go try a random assortment and report back!

Yes!

goldlion054 said:
With it being your 21st, get liquored up son!!!

After that, just try everything. I recommend lighter beers to start with. Like a Shocktop or Stella. Then move on from there!

Happy birthday btw

Nooooo!

thespot84

iapetus said:
Yes!

Nooooo!

Honestly for a newcomer it's hard to know what's macro and what's not. Schocktop would look like a micro to anyone not paying attention (as would blue moon for that matter). But i agree I'd avoid the macros for starting out, or, just in general. This is why I asked where he's drinking, to steer him local...

Venfayth

thespot84 said:
Honestly for a newcomer it's hard to know what's macro and what's not. Schocktop would look like a micro to anyone not paying attention (as would blue moon for that matter). But i agree I'd avoid the macros for starting out, or, just in general. This is why I asked where he's drinking, to steer him local...

Minnesota :p

Also, I tried some sake the other night, went to benihana with some friends, it was interesting at the very worst, haha.

So I went to a tasting event called Hoptacular at the Aragon in Chicago this weekend, had some good stuff. Highlights were Dogfish Head's Bitches Brew, and Bell's Sparkling Ale. I think my favorite from the event though was 5Rabbit's Vida y Muerte. 5Rabbit has been impressing me a lot lately, I adore their 5Vulture chile beer.

Homebrew GAF, help me with my dilemma! I purchased 5 gallons of unfiltered apple cider from a local farmers market in the hopes of making some fantastic hard cider. My plan was to use Nottingham ale yeast and after fermentation, I was going to bottle it with some maple syrup instead of priming sugar for carbonation and a touch of sweetness.

The problem I ran into is that the orchard uses potassium sorbate as a preservative in the cider, which basically stops yeast growth dead in its tracks. As far as I know it doesn't kill the yeast, just stops them from multiplying. Any suggestions on how to overcome this? I was thinking I could get a bottle of preservative free apple juice, start the yeast in there and let it grow like crazy, then dump the whole thing in the cider. Basically I would be making a juice based yeast starter.

Thoughts? This stuff was expensive and I would hate to have to throw it out...

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
pxleyes said:
Yep. Surly or Summit will treat you really well.
I think Summit is probably a better starter brewery than Surly. But Surly has the sweet pounder cans going for them.

If you are in Minneapolis, go to Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery and get some Mango Mama. That is a great intro beer, super hoppy with mangos.

Enjoyed some good ones this week

My favorite "available" beer - Goose Island Bourbon County Stout
6332785037_c6c122b960.jpg

Founders CBS
6336685333_f1dcfc657d.jpg

Will be drinking some Samuel Adams Utopias tonight for my b-day.

Malvolio

Had a great night last night. Started with a Bell's Hopslam then a 2011 Dark Lord followed by a few Great Lakes Christmas Ales and polished it all off with some homebrew. The same lineup awaits me tonight. What a delicious weekend!

Spent the day brewing an Imperial IPA with my best friends. Along the way we drank:

1 growler of Flathead Lake Imperial IPA
4-pack of Green Flash West Coast IPA
6-pack of Ice Harbor IPA

Then went to Two Beers' 4th Anniversary/Expansion Party at their brewery in South Seattle.

Here seems like the appropriate place to show of the fact that I get to enjoy my 18mo Traditional Mead while roaming the frozen lands of Skyrim. It is quite pleasant.

TeLvRl.jpg

thespot84

sharkmuncher said:
Here seems like the appropriate place to show of the fact that I get to enjoy my 18mo Traditional Mead while roaming the frozen lands of Skyrim. It is quite pleasant.

TeLvRl.jpg

did you ever try that meadery in boulder? any good?

thespot84 said:
did you ever try that meadery in boulder? any good?

It's decent. Their low ABV carbonated "nectars" aren't too bad, a bit sweet and low ABV for a mead, with the "Nectar of the Hops" being actually pretty interesting. Their reserve series or whatever they call it is also pretty good, but those run over $50/ bottle last I checked. In the end, much better than something like Chaucer's, but I'm not sure how often I would want to spend $18/bottle on any of it.

Top Bottom