• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

UrokeJoe

Eh, they may tweak it but nothing drastic. There are two main possibilities with a brewery like Sierra Nevada. Your palate has changed (most likely) or the hop crop is different resulting in a different beer.

Have you had it more than once this year?

Yeah I've had it twice now. It probably is a palate thing, but I've been tasting many different beers for years now.

To be sure I am in no way dissing it. Like I've said I have been really enjoying it and looking forward to it every year, but for some reason it's just not as special this year. JMO

My buddies and I are mulling around the idea of a granola stout with brown sugar, walnuts and raisins. Any ideas, experienced homebrewers?

Are you going for more granola-y flavor or just like the idea of adding granola ingredients? My immediate concerns are the contributions of the oils in whole walnuts, I would probably try an extract. Next, I'm not really familiar with the flavor contributions from raisins, but I made a cider w/ brown sugar and all its flavor fermented out with the sugar. You might have good results trying to supplement the brown sugar and raisin flavors with malt (maybe a mid-dark crystal for the brown sugar and something like Special B for the raisins?) There is a local homebrewer out here who makes a pretty delicious Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Amber that taste surprisingly like an oatmeal raisin cookie and it might be worth looking over his recipe for ideas.

Mully

I got you all beat. I just found this bottle of wine in my best friends attic while cleaning it out for him earlier this afternoon. It's obviously not beer, and I'm really scared at trying homemade wine that was in an attic, for atleast a year. That label was on the bottle btw.

IMAG0113.jpg

Are you going for more granola-y flavor or just like the idea of adding granola ingredients? My immediate concerns are the contributions of the oils in whole walnuts, I would probably try an extract. Next, I'm not really familiar with the flavor contributions from raisins, but I made a cider w/ brown sugar and all its flavor fermented out with the sugar. You might have good results trying to supplement the brown sugar and raisin flavors with malt (maybe a mid-dark crystal for the brown sugar and something like Special B for the raisins?) There is a local homebrewer out here who makes a pretty delicious Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Amber that taste surprisingly like an oatmeal raisin cookie and it might be worth looking over his recipe for ideas.

Definitely thinking walnut extract and not the actual nuts. I'd actually like it to taste like granola. Searching online there's very little out there about a granola stout. I found one recipe without boil times or anything. We're gonna throw it into Beer Smith and see what it thinks.

5 lbs amber malt extract (I prefer dry)
12 oz Crushed Crystal Malt (60L)
12 oz Crushed Chocolate Malt
16 oz Roasted Barley
16 oz Oats
8 oz (1 cup) Honey (pref. orange blossom)
1 oz Cluster Hops (bittering, 6.9 α acid)
1 oz Willamette Hops (bittering, halfway thru boil, 4.2 α acid)
1 oz Willamette Hops (flavoring, 4.2 α acid)
White Labs’ WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast, perhaps their WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I got you all beat. I just found this bottle of wine in my best friends attic while cleaning it out for him earlier this afternoon. It's obviously not beer, and I'm really scared at trying homemade wine that was in an attic, for atleast a year. That label was on the bottle btw.

IMAG0113.jpg

You're basically a wuss if you don't drink it.

Tonight's treat was a few bottles of Firestone Walker 15th Anniversary blend.

firestonewalker.jpg

So damn delicious.
A few bottles? Shit is 25 dollars.

Ah, man.

Trying one of the 90 Minute IPAs and it doesn't disappoint. IPAs are probably my least favorite type of beer (though I do still enjoy them) but this is really good. I'm kind of iffy on the flavor of hops, it's a weird kind of thing where I almost like it. I mean, I like it enough to have bought and tried a few different IPAs, but it's more of an "interesting" flavor to me then something I ever crave.

I haven't tried enough beers to be knowledgeable enough with descriptors to say why exactly I like the DFH head more, but it's pretty good. Definitely not my favorite, but like I said definitely the best IPA I've had. The hoppy flavor is still pretty strong, but somehow it doesn't wear on me the way other IPAs have. For example I had some of Pyramid's IPA awhile back and while the first few mouthfuls would taste fine, very quickly the hops flavor would just be overwhelming and it would be the only part of the beer I could taste. This is very different in that respect, I've nearly finished it now and it's retaining a full flavor.

Anyway, it's really good, but at $2.50 per bottle it's a little more expensive than I can really afford on my budget. Nice treat for the last time I'll be getting drunk before the end of the semester the week after next, and I'm glad I enjoy it, but back to the relatively cheap stuff for me.
You know, it's always an unpopular opinion, but I really detest 90m IPA. It just tastes cloyingly sweet with a shit-ton of hops. Now, most IPAs have a shitton of hops, but it just tastes bizarre in that drink.

Honestly this is a first for me. I really do look forward to it every year and it's not something I've looked into, but I can't imagine they change their recipe?
They probably do to some degree. There isn't as high of a demand for uniformity in seasonals as in year-round beers so there can be a lot of variation in the flavor. Moreover, hop-forward beers really need to be consumed fresh so it's impossible to do a side-by-side.

lljride

Yeah I've had it twice now. It probably is a palate thing, but I've been tasting many different beers for years now.

To be sure I am in no way dissing it. Like I've said I have been really enjoying it and looking forward to it every year, but for some reason it's just not as special this year. JMO

I feel the same way. It's not bad at all, but it tastes almost exactly the same as a Torpedo to me. I need to do a side by side this season to see if I'm just crazy, which I probably am.

Sierra's Celebration Ale does taste different this year. Deschutes' Hop Trip is also vastly different than last year's batch.

I'm not a big fan of DFH. I find them to be crazy overrated (the 120 Minute hype is ridiculous) and I've encountered some real QA issues with their beers lately, particularly with the last batch of Squall being a hot boozy mess.

With that said, Burton Baton is fantastic beer. Everything else of theirs I can live without.

IMAG0113.jpg

There is absolutely nothing in homemade alcohol that can harm you / make you sick. Drink it, you'll be completely fine.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There is absolutely nothing in homemade alcohol that can harm you / make you sick. Drink it, you'll be completely fine.
That's beer, I don't know about wine. There definetely can be in hard liqour.

Angry Grimace

One of the most amusing parts of being a real beer geek for small local breweries is having to sign up for the twitter/facebook feeds for a ton of different bottle shops and breweries. You end up losing a lot of money that way though. Oh, Abyss is out? -$10. Bourbon barrel-aged imperial stout? -$20 and a drive to the brewery.

tokkun

My buddies and I are mulling around the idea of a granola stout with brown sugar, walnuts and raisins. Any ideas, experienced homebrewers?

Dogfish Head makes a beer brewed with raisins and beet sugar, Raison D'etre. It seems to have decent distribution, so you might want to try a bottle and use that to get some ideas. It uses Belgian yeasts, though, so it won't be exactly in line with what you are proposing.

Tawpgun

Had my first dark beer last night. I had preferred hard liquor to beer, until now.

Had some Guinness Draught
Guiness_DraughtInBottle_Drink.jpg

Which was good...

But then I had this...
killians-irish-red.jpg

Killians Irish Red. MMmmmmm

Angry Grimace

palm_speciale.jpg
My all-time favorite..

Brewed in Belgium, but also sold in The Netherlands where I live..

Palm is available pretty much everywhere in the US, too. Nice belgian, definitely better than some other widely available belgian offerings, although not the best I've had.

Angry Grimace

Palm is better than Stella, and it's a very inoffensive easy drinking beer, but that's about as far as my positives would go.

I see you understood exactly what I meant by "other widely available belgian offerings"

I don't really know what beer availability is like outside the U.S. We have so much imported here due to our craft beer community that it's easy to get spoiled on how much we have available.

Malvolio

A few bottles? Shit is 25 dollars.

Liquor store near me is selling it at $20 and they have a ton of it. Went with two friends and we each picked up a few, so we each opened one. Love the stuff so much I went back for two more today. Going to put the rest away and save them for special occasions. Amazing blend and worth every cent.

AcridMeat

Banned
Picked up some celebration now (thanks for reminding me). Pretty good stuff, though nothing about it felt very holiday-ish to me?

Ahh...so this is where beer age is. I lost my sub when I got banned and forgot about this thread.

Subscribed. (again)

Thanks again for that Kona Pipeline recommendation, acrid. It was da goods, i'm starting to like it better than the Maui Coconut Porter.

While i'm here, ill recommend one of my latest all-time favorites:
allagash%20white.jpg

Angry Grimace

Picked up some celebration now (thanks for reminding me). Pretty good stuff, though nothing about it felt very holiday-ish to me?

If your expectation for "holiday" is "random spices" then no, you'll not think it's "holiday-ish."

I had this stuff for the first time whilst decorating the Christmas tree last weekend:
tmi7l.jpg

I was a little hesitant about drinking a beer spiced with cardamom and mace, but WOW this stuff was amazing. It really was the perfect winter beer. I'll be going back to the liquor store this week to pick up some more.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Had my first dark beer last night. I had preferred hard liquor to beer, until now.

Had some Guinness Draught
Guiness_DraughtInBottle_Drink.jpg

Which was good...

But then I had this...
killians-irish-red.jpg

Killians Irish Red. MMmmmmm

You have such a road ahead of you.

I'm excited for you.

Asuma01

Neo Member
One of the most amusing parts of being a real beer geek for small local breweries is having to sign up for the twitter/facebook feeds for a ton of different bottle shops and breweries. You end up losing a lot of money that way though. Oh, Abyss is out? -$10. Bourbon barrel-aged imperial stout? -$20 and a drive to the brewery.

You live in bend my friend?

Mully

So what's a good beer for a college student that's looking to kick back after finals and watch a few good soccer matches? I really like Spaten, Corona, Banana Beer, and Heinken to name a few.

Angry Grimace

So what's a good beer for a college student that's looking to kick back after finals and watch a few good soccer matches? I really like Spaten, Corona, Banana Beer, and Heinken to name a few.
D=

Where are you, it makes a difference where you are because it affects what you can get.

Seth C

Hey friends. I'm going to be in Seattle Saturday and Sunday and Vancouver Monday and Tuesday. What beers should I have? Where should I drink?

Hey friends. I'm going to be in Seattle Saturday and Sunday and Vancouver Monday and Tuesday. What beers should I have? Where should I drink?

Seattle Bars:

Beveridge Place Pub in West Seattle.
Uber Taven in Aurora.
Latona Pub in Greenlake.
Hudson in Maple Leaf/Lake City.

Seattle Breweries:

Fremont Brewing
Naked City
Two Beers
Georgetown
Schooner Exact
Big Time
Epic Ales

thespot84

Killians aint foreign dude.

Look to your own shores for quality. The best beer is local beer.

Edit: Cambridge Brewing is the shit.

Not only that but Killian's is brewed by Miller Coors (as is blue moon). If you like a macro that much imagine how good the micro's will be :D

Angry Grimace

Not only that but Killian's is brewed by Miller Coors (as is blue moon). If you like a macro that much imagine how good the micro's will be :D
It's crazy how many beers are owned by multinational beverage congolmerates.

Even Goose Island is under Anheiser Busch now.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
edMZr.jpg

I'm so excited for my second batch of the chocolate coconut stout to be ready. The first one was phenomenal and this second one is going to be better since I've tweaked the recipe a bit. I brew in 5 gallon batches and I use malt extracts. Some day I'd like to go whole grain, but I can't afford to invest in more equipment right now. If anyone is interested in the recipe, here it is:

Preboil:

1lb chocolate malt
1/2lb organic coconut(make sure it has no preservatives)
12oz roasted barley
4oz black patent malt

Boil:

7lbs dark malt extract syrup
2lbs dark malt extract powder
1oz sorachi ace hops

30 minutes till flameout:

.5oz willamette hops

10 minutes till flameout:

1 1/2lbs ghiradelli cocoa powder
1oz vanilla extract

Fermentation:

I use White Labs Irish Ale Yeast along with another half pound of coconut. I filter the coconut out after 7-10 days and then let it ferment for another week. I drank the last of the first batch tonight and I'm bottling the second batch this Friday. I can't wait.

Angry Grimace

One of the most awesome things you can do as a beer fan is to check out the local beer bars that do microbrews and such. Just check it out on Yelp for your area, and even visit local breweries if you can find them.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
One of the most awesome things you can do as a beer fan is to check out the local beer bars that do microbrews and such. Just check it out on Yelp for your area, and even visit local breweries if you can find them.

Most definitely! Boise is lacking in a lot of things, but beer isn't one of them. There are a bunch of great local breweries here as well as great bars with a fantastic selection of beers. Another tip for people looking for new and exciting beers is to go to homebrewing shops. Brewer's Haven here in town used to be a 7-11 and now all of those refrigerators are full of every beer imaginable. They've got a bunch of bourbon barrel stouts right now and they are so damn good.

I've got 5 gallons of homebrewed IPA that's going to be bottled on Saturday. A buddy and I racked and dry-hopped it last Tuesday. It smelled incredible.

BearChair

Can anyone recommend a good Russian imperial stout? I really like Stone's and Hoppin Frog's Boris is pretty good too. I really liked the Stone versions though but can't find it anywhere anymore.

Judging from that taste is there anything else I should try?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Can anyone recommend a good Russian imperial stout? I really like Stone's and Hoppin Frog's Boris is pretty good too. I really liked the Stone versions though but can't find it anywhere anymore.

Judging from that taste is there anything else I should try?

Where do you live?

DCCS+Bottle.JPG

Holy crap, this beer is delicious! Special for the holidays

Muskoka Brewery is becoming one of my favorite Canadian brewers for sure!

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Merry Early Xmas to me!!

1WmHP.jpg

Lots of new stuff I haven't tried, mixed with some old favorites. Also scored an Ommegang glass (the one by itself) and I couldn't resist the giant St. Bernardus glass gift pack.

(and yes, it's obvious I worship at the altar that is Belgian brews...)

Top Bottom