• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

And now onto my homebrewed hefe. mmmm 'naners. It is slowly turning into a cristalweisse (sp?) as it sits in my keg, but it has quite a nice clove banana/clove character without being overpowering. I am quite proud of this beer, unfortunately I was the only one who was able to try it before the yeast started to fall out. It's still good, just not as good.

My daughter is due on February 22nd. Instead of handing out cigars I'll be handing out bombers of homebrew Citra Pale Ale. I'm heading down to my neighbrohood homebrew shop for supplies on Monday. This will also be the first all-grain brew my buddies and I attempt.

How is it? I have always wanted to try it since I saw it on lifehacker a few years ago, but never got around to it. Also, if you like infusing vodka, add a seeded jalapeno to a bottle of vodka, let it sit in the fridge for a week or so and use in Bloody Mary's. mmmmm

I havent tried it yet, Im going to leave it over night just make sure the skittles dissolved completely. Im just getting into infusing vodka, I went out last night and bought a case of mason jars. I want to try to work my way up to brewing my own beer, and i decided the infusing vodka was the first step i need to take because its quite easy.

fenners

I havent tried it yet, Im going to leave it over night just make sure the skittles dissolved completely. Im just getting into infusing vodka, I went out last night and bought a case of mason jars. I want to try to work my way up to brewing my own beer, and i decided the infusing vodka was the first step i need to take because its quite easy.

Brewing basic beer is straightforward. If I can do it, you can do it ;) Extract + partials are really straightforward & dont' take that much gear... All grain is a step up, but you can get good drinkable beer out of the basic kit & gear.

Brewing basic beer is straightforward. If I can do it, you can do it ;) Extract + partials are really straightforward & dont' take that much gear... All grain is a step up, but you can get good drinkable beer out of the basic kit & gear.

7C0Ji.png

(I decided tonight is the night in which I must use this images as much as possible!)

Plus if you can Sous Vide, you can all grain...
ksgt9l.jpg

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Had some Ballast Point Imperial porter (blech too much vanilla) and some Anchorage Brewing funky wit barrel aged in Chardonnay barrels (yummy) today at work.

Great cap to a long ass brew day.

Fordzilla

And now onto my homebrewed hefe. mmmm 'naners. It is slowly turning into a cristalweisse (sp?) as it sits in my keg, but it has quite a nice clove banana/clove character without being overpowering. I am quite proud of this beer, unfortunately I was the only one who was able to try it before the yeast started to fall out. It's still good, just not as good.
Wait, what? I just cracked my first homebrew bavarian hefeweizen tonight. It was quite delicious. I've heard it's best to drink wheat beer fast...but how long did yours last?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Wait, what? I just cracked my first homebrew bavarian hefeweizen tonight. It was quite delicious. I've heard it's best to drink wheat beer fast...but how long did yours last?

Bottled hefe doesnt have the problem because you can stir up the yeast if it settles. In a keg, the yeast will pour off and you will be left with beer with less yeast.

I brewed it 11/19, kegged 11/27 and as of this evening it was pretty clear. If you bottled, you will have less of an issue since you can swirl and pour the last bit into the glass. Since I kegged, the beer was nice and cloudy for the first week or so, but since the dip tube pulls from the bottom of the keg, all the settled yeast was pulled out right away leaving only an increasingly clear beer behind

So surprisingly woke up feeling great this morning!
Have 7 gal (- 13 min worth of volume lost to boil) of my robust porter base that will have 3# of raspberry puree added about 5 days into fermentation. It is crazy to me that I am brewing with my apartment door wide open on the 17th of Dec. Great Day

hSAFWl.jpg

Mindlog

Hello, Beer GAF.

Part of the reason I enjoy the Samuel Adams variety packs is that it's easier to get others to sample greater varieties of beer beyond traditional lagers and pilsners. I hate that SA wastes 2 bottles on Boston Lager. This years hits are the Black&Brew and the Chocolate Bock. I am looking for more excellent beers with a hint of chocolate or even coffee. Coffee 'fortified' beers are out and not in consideration. Bocks, porters and stouts would be the preferred styles, but I am not tied to that. Widely available would be best, but if a beer receives enough positive feedback I don't mind paying extra to get it sent.

Previously I did very very very well pairing Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout with a dark chocolate dessert.

Back to the thread. I am currently enjoying some: Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
VlgE7.jpg

(not my pic)
Emphasizing the desirability of proper glassware the size of the head caught me off-guard. The strong ABV is completely subdued by flavor. I will be buying more and stashing it away to age. Highly recommend.

Long story short: Recommendations along the lines of Samuel Adams: Chocolate Bock, Samuel Adams: Black & Brew, Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout and Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout.

Hello, Beer GAF.

Part of the reason I enjoy the Samuel Adams variety packs is that it's easier to get others to sample greater varieties of beer beyond traditional lagers and pilsners. I hate that SA wastes 2 bottles on Boston Lager. This years hits are the Black&Brew and the Chocolate Bock. I am looking for more excellent beers with a hint of chocolate or even coffee. Coffee 'fortified' beers are out and not in consideration. Bocks, porters and stouts would be the preferred styles, but I am not tied to that. Widely available would be best, but if a beer receives enough positive feedback I don't mind paying extra to get it sent.

Previously I did very very very well pairing Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout with a dark chocolate dessert.

Back to the thread. I am currently enjoying some: Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
VlgE7.jpg

(not my pic)
Emphasizing the desirability of proper glassware the size of the head caught me off-guard. The strong ABV is completely subdued by flavor. I will be buying more and stashing it away to age. Highly recommend.

Long story short: Recommendations along the lines of Samuel Adams: Chocolate Bock, Samuel Adams: Black & Brew, Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout and Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout.

I suggest this
http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/seasonal-brews/chicory-stout.htm

A dark beer made with a touch of roasted chicory, organic Mexican coffee, St. John's Wort, and licorice root. Brewed with whole-leaf Cascade and Fuggles hops, the grains include pale, roasted & oatmeal.

Mindlog

I suggest this
http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/seasonal-brews/chicory-stout.htm

A dark beer made with a touch of roasted chicory, organic Mexican coffee, St. John's Wort, and licorice root. Brewed with whole-leaf Cascade and Fuggles hops, the grains include pale, roasted & oatmeal.
Well I feel foolish, because I recall seeing that and it has been on my 'to taste' list.

Thank you very much. I will definitely pick some up next time I see it.

*Winter is my favorite beer season. It's crazy how many excellent BBQ beers are winter seasonals.

kottila

Just sent an order to a Belgian webshop to get some goodies not available around here:

1 x Mikeller Open Windows Open Hills Tiger Baby = €5.27
1 x struise Cuvée Delphine 2009 = €4.27
1 x de dolle Stille Nacht 2010 = €3.57
1 x Brouwerij De Musketiersb Troubadour Magma = €2.44
1 x Gueuze Cantillon BIO 37.5 cl = €4.07
1 x mikellerTexas Ranger 33 cl = €6.23

Of course I saw the cuvee delphine at a local store the next day, but "luckily" they only had this years version.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
http://www.abload.de/img/p1040679yzrfb.jpg[img]
Picked these up yesterday. Really enjoyed last year's Wreck the Halls. Nice winter IPA.[/QUOTE]I never really understood the love for Supplication, and I don't hate lambics and sours at all. My wife's been drinking Tartare from Bear Rep. which pretty much tastes like a mouthful of acid.

Given how much I love sour cherries, Supplication didn't quite live up to my expectations, but it's still a damn good sour. Sanctification is probably my favorite RR sour, though I've only had those two, Consecration, and Temptation. Any of you had Beatification?

And I've never managed to find any Hair of the Dog; I'd love to try some someday, though.

BFIB

A buddy of mine who works for A-B brought me a gift this past week:

The new Draftmark Tap!

photo5.jpg

photo4.jpg

Overall, its solid. I enjoy Shock-Top and Blue Moon on draft, so he brought me the Shock Top to try out.

Overall, its great. Tastes just like Shock Top should. Need to unpack my beer steins and dig in, but I can see me getting some use out of this for sure.

I dont know were to talk about vodka on gaf, so I guess the Beer OT will have to do. Finished making a Raspberry and Strawberry infusion. I think next on my list is to try make a Krupnik....anybody got a good recipe?

K5vhp.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I dont know were to talk about vodka on gaf, so I guess the Beer OT will have to do. Finished making a Raspberry and Strawberry infusion. I think next on my list is to try make a Krupnik....anybody got a good recipe?
http://i.imgur.com/K5vhp.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Start a new thread for it, in my opinion.

[quote="nemss, post: 33626703"]A buddy of mine who works for A-B brought me a gift this past week:

Overall, its solid. I enjoy [B]Shock-Top and Blue Moon[/B] on draft, so he brought me the Shock Top to try out.

Overall, its great. Tastes just like Shock Top should. Need to unpack my beer steins and dig in, but I can see me getting some use out of this for sure.[/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/8NhRp.gif

Angry Grimace

While I find shock top and blue moon to be passable, I agree there are certainly many better wheats to be found. I don't drink much wheat beer but I still try to avoid the macro's just out of principle.

I don't like witbier much either, but I still wouldn't call Shock Top and Blue Moon aren't passable, macro or not. They don't taste like much.

I was at the Toronado (a beer bar) and this (cute) girl started asking the bartender for something "like Blue Moon." Now, the Toronado takes beer seriously and doesn't have any macros at all. But, they were doing an Allagash night and had Allagash White on tap, so I told the girl to give it a try; but the chick looked at me like I was some kind of sea slug and immediately left, apparently to go find a bar with Blue Moon in it.

Angry Grimace

Where do you live? They only distribute to Washington, Oregon, New York, California and of all places, Denmark.

We have that near me, but I've never given them a try. I'll keep an eye out for that next time I head to the brew store. Honestly, it's kind of overwhelming, even as a pretty decent craft brew fan to know what to get when there's so many options.

Not that that is a bad thing at all.

I love Hair of the Dog. I try to get down to their brewpub in Portland at least once or twice a year. Can't really go wrong with anything the make.

We have that near me, but I've never given them a try. I'll keep an eye out for that next time I head to the brew store. Honestly, it's kind of overwhelming, even as a pretty decent craft brew fan to know what to get when there's so many options.

Not that that is a bad thing at all.

I know this feeling all too well. It seems like even if I head into the local beer store with something specific in mind, I always seem to spend at least 10 min just browsing to see if anything catches my eye.

Where do you live? They only distribute to Washington, Oregon, New York, California and of all places, Denmark.

I didn't know about Denmark, that's hilarious. I'm actually in Northern California, so I should be able to find it, but I guess my local stores just don't carry it. Once I do, though, which ones do you recommend? All of those first names get hard to keep track of...

Fordzilla

Bottled hefe doesnt have the problem because you can stir up the yeast if it settles. In a keg, the yeast will pour off and you will be left with beer with less yeast.
Makes sense. The hefeweizen is a little confusing to me because in homebrew beer you want to avoid the yeast at the bottom because it tastes bad. But with a hefeweizen you're supposed to swirl it up to get more yeast to add flavor. I guess it just shows I have much to learn about craft beer. I am very much enjoying learning by making/trying different styles.

Wanace

I think I'm going to go to the Sun King Brewery and take a tour of their facilities this Thursday. I drank some of their beer last night and realized it was locally brewed here in Indianapolis, figured I might as well check it out while I'm in town.

I didn't know about Denmark, that's hilarious. I'm actually in Northern California, so I should be able to find it, but I guess my local stores just don't carry it. Once I do, though, which ones do you recommend? All of those first names get hard to keep track of...

Fred -- Golden Ale
Adam -- Strong Dark Ale
Ruth -- Pale
Matt --Strong Ale
Michael -- Flanders Red Ale (limited)
Greg -- Pumpkin Ale (seasonal)
Doggie Claws -- Barleywine (seasonal)
Blue Dot -- Imperial IPA (seasonal)

They're all good, but my favorites are Fred, Blue Dot and Doggie Claws.

thespot84

just had a Hop Head Red from Green flash. It was very hoppy (they were out of titan IPA) but i rather enjoyed it. I've never had a red IPA before, was pleasantly surprised...

Top Bottom