• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Can anyone recommend a good Russian imperial stout? I really like Stone's and Hoppin Frog's Boris is pretty good too. I really liked the Stone versions though but can't find it anywhere anymore.

Judging from that taste is there anything else I should try?

I believe Stone's RIS is a seasonal, so you wouldn't find it much right now.

In other news, I saw an article in the paper that the head brewer at Pizza Port is leaving to form a new brewery? Poor Man's DIPA in a bottle plz

p10406670qohw.jpg

A local bottle shop took a case of Jubel 2010 out of their cellar. Got one of the last bottles. It's basically a Strong Ale 10% version of the standard Jubelale. Had a couple of these last year and really enjoyed it. They only make this every ten years.

Went to the Iron Brewers finals at Beveridge Place Pub in West Seattle tonight.

Fremont Brewing and Black Raven had to create beers with persimmon and nutmeg. One (brewery A) made a persimmon IPA with hints of nutmeg, while the other (brewery B) made a nutmeg stout/winter warmer hybrid with hints of persimmon.

Black Raven won with beer A.

HiResDes

Can anyone recommend a good Russian imperial stout? I really like Stone's and Hoppin Frog's Boris is pretty good too. I really liked the Stone versions though but can't find it anywhere anymore.

Judging from that taste is there anything else I should try?

North+Coast+Brewery+Old+Rasputin+Russian+Imperial+Stout.jpg

UrokeJoe

I was telling a friend about how I thought this years Sierra Nevada's 2011 Celebration Ale was different, or at least different to me and I didn't really like it as much as years past. He thought I was crazy. So I started searching... Came across this. Explains it pretty well I think.

http://thefullpint.com/beer-news/sierra-nevada-celebration-ale-clearing-up-myths

In answer to your questions. We decided to put “Fresh Hop Ale” on the label this year to help clarify what Celebration is for consumers who may not have had the opportunity to try it before. Celebration ale is, and always has been, an American IPA brewed with the first, fresh hops of the growing season (i.e. fresh hop ale.) The beer has been in production since 1981, and in its current form (recipe) since 1983. It was one of the first legitimate IPAs brewed in the “American” style and has never contained any spices; only hops, water, malt and yeast. Despite nearly 30 years of (roughly) the same recipe, we get lots of complaints each year from people who are expecting a spiced holiday “Winter warmer” style of beer. And oddly, we also get lots of emails from people telling us how delicious the spices we used tasted…specifically nutmeg and cinnamon. As I’ve said, this has never been the case. No spices are or were used in the beer. We chose to highlight Fresh Hop Ale to clue people in on the real nature of the beer so folks know what they’re getting into.

We use a blend of Cascade, Centennial and Chinook hops to create an interesting citrus, pine and (kind of) spiced flavor, but all of the higher tones in the beer come from hops and yeast esters. The beer does change from year to year, but that is only because it relies so heavily on hop flavors, and hops can vary wildly from year to year and even from field to field.

Our Harvest Ale was really the beer that launched the wet hopped ale trend. Although some breweries use terms interchangeably, we take pride in noting the differences between wet-hops, fresh-hops and standard hops. Wet-hops being the green, un-dried hops fresh from the fields within 24 hours of picking, (used in Northern hemisphere Harvest and Estate Homegrown Ale) and Fresh Hops being fast tracked…picked, dried and shipped within 7 days of the fields. (Celebration Ale and Southern Hemisphere Harvest with hops from New Zealand.) The hops in Celebration, specifically with the first batches, can be very different than the hops used in later brews. We do our best to blend batches into a consistent flavor but as with any craft product there are definitely variation from batch to batch and from year to year. That said the recipe remains constant.

So, I hope that helps. Same beer, same recipe, same hop varieties, different vintage.

I'll buy that, just not as much this year.

Malvolio

IMAG0143b.jpg

Tonight's dead soldiers. Really enjoyed the Abita 25. Not so impressed with the Lagunitas Holiday Ale Replacement. It wasn't bad, just not worth the price.

Picked up a bottle of la fin du monde yesterday, after always hearing the praise. Looking forward to cracking into it tonight or tomorrow night.

went to bevmo last night to get some ginger beer, ended up also getting some of their onesies and made a six pack of ginger and regular beer.

any thoughts on:

allagash white
dogfish head 90 minute ipa

the 90 minute ipa is good. I hear the 120 is the best, but I've never been able to find it. really depends on if you like ipas in general. 90 minute is the best ipa I've had personally.

the 90 minute ipa is good. I hear the 120 is the best, but I've never been able to find it. really depends on if you like ipas in general. 90 minute is the best ipa I've had personally.

You heard wrong. 120 Minute is good if you like apricot-infused rubbing alcohol. At this point it's riding on a wave of hype and nothing else.

DFH's Burton Baton is an oak aged version of 90 Minute. It's really good.

Just had a Velvet Rooster. A tripel from Tallgrass Brewing out of KS, makers of other fine beverages such as Buffalo Sweat (A quite delicious Oatmeal/Cream Stout). Contrary to what you would think after looking at the can, it is quite a well made beer. 8.5% ABV, yet excellently balanced with a nice, slight Belgian character that adds to the beer without being over the top.
tuTmql.jpg

TheExodu5

Banned
I've never even seen it.

I only see it in Quebec. Here in Ontario, the only Unibroue beers I can find are La Fin Du Monde (best known one), Trois Pistoles, La Maudite, and Blanche de Chambly.

Quebec's craft beers are so much better than Ontario. :( All we have is overrated crap like Beau's.

HiResDes

I used to be in love with Maudite until I found more full bodied Strong Belgian Dark Ales, and now the mouthfeel just leaves a lot to be desired.

Edit: Has anyone had La Terrible?
Edit 2: Also Allagash's Odyssey sounds like the best beer in the world.

Winter beer fest yesterday. Best part was actually one of the homebrewer booths. A guy did 20 Gal of a whirlpool hopped-only pale ale and then fermented with 4 different yeast strains, English, Lager, Belgian Abbey and Brett. Brux.. What a great experiment and I wish I had the space (and mostly focus) to pull off something like that.

Also, my collection of sample glasses is beginning to get out of hand:
NYOfFl.jpg

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I had a few glasses of Hale's Ales Nitroll last night. That beer is amazing. Best foam ever.
Csv0l.jpg

We've got a coffee stout brewing right now and I just bottled a chocolate coconut stout on Friday. Life is good.:)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Time for a little Barleywine tasting this weekend.

mY1H7.jpg

Really excited to compare Doggie Claws 2010 to the 2011 batch.
Did you cellar that Abacus? I'm going to open up one of this year's Abacus myself tomorrow, but I just have to buy it at a little bit of a markup recently since they've been gone for a while.

Plus they got sued and it's called "Sucaba" now (Abacus backwards)

Did you cellar that Abacus? I'm going to open up one of this year's Abacus myself tomorrow, but I just have to buy it at a little bit of a markup recently since they've been gone for a while.

Plus they got sued and it's called "Sucaba" now (Abacus backwards)

Yep, it's been cellar'd since early 2011 Back when it was still $12.. I heard about the name change a while back, interesting.

bryehn

DCCS+Bottle.JPG

Holy crap, this beer is delicious! Special for the holidays

Muskoka Brewery is becoming one of my favorite Canadian brewers for sure!

Aside from the seasonals and Mad Tom, their beers are quite boring IMO.

There are far better breweries in Ontario...Grand River and Great Lakes to name two, and the Quebec breweries are miles ahead

D6AMIA6N

If any of you guys are in the Atlanta area, there is a new growler store that opened in Avondale Estates a few months ago. They have over 30 rotating taps that you can take home in either 32 or 64oz growlers. They also sell on SUNDAYS!!! Avondale is one of the few areas that currently sell alcohol on "the lords day" lol. Pretty much there at least once per week.

http://thebeergrowler.net/#

EDIT: At least do yourself a favor and check out the menu for some ideas to try in your area. Currently drinking (not at this exact moment, I wish) the SweetWater Festive Ale. Pretty good.

Unless i'm mistaken about the release schedule of Hopslam, you drank a very old time-sensitive beer.

I've actually heard of aged hopslam being really good albeit a completely different beast.

Personally, I couldn't bear to hold onto that beautiful nectar while the hops slowly fade away.

D6AMIA6N

Aside from the seasonals and Mad Tom, their beers are quite boring IMO.

There are far better breweries in Ontario...Grand River and Great Lakes to name two, and the Quebec breweries are miles ahead

I'd kill for some Great Lakes Christmas Ale. No where to be found that I'm aware of in GA. Soo good.

bryehn

I'd kill for some Great Lakes Christmas Ale. No where to be found that I'm aware of in GA. Soo good.

There's two Great Lakes Brewing Company(s)...the one I speak of is in Toronto. They make stuff like Miami Weiss, Crazy Canuck, 666 and Dude Where's my Czar?

and There's also one in Cleveland...who make the Christmas Ale you're thinking of.

Fordzilla

edMZr.jpg

I'm so excited for my second batch of the chocolate coconut stout to be ready. The first one was phenomenal and this second one is going to be better since I've tweaked the recipe a bit. I brew in 5 gallon batches and I use malt extracts. Some day I'd like to go whole grain, but I can't afford to invest in more equipment right now. If anyone is interested in the recipe, here it is:

Preboil:

1lb chocolate malt
1/2lb organic coconut(make sure it has no preservatives)
12oz roasted barley
4oz black patent malt

Boil:

7lbs dark malt extract syrup
2lbs dark malt extract powder
1oz sorachi ace hops

30 minutes till flameout:

.5oz willamette hops

10 minutes till flameout:

1 1/2lbs ghiradelli cocoa powder
1oz vanilla extract

Fermentation:

I use White Labs Irish Ale Yeast along with another half pound of coconut. I filter the coconut out after 7-10 days and then let it ferment for another week. I drank the last of the first batch tonight and I'm bottling the second batch this Friday. I can't wait.
I havent done a stout yet. Thinking about one soon, perhaps I will try your recipe.

So far I have only done kits. I have a nut brown ale fermenting like crazy right now, a hefeweizen in bottles, and finishing up a porter.

D6AMIA6N

There's two Great Lakes Brewing Company(s)...the one I speak of is in Toronto. They make stuff like Miami Weiss, Crazy Canuck, 666 and Dude Where's my Czar?

and There's also one in Cleveland...who make the Christmas Ale you're thinking of.

Hmm, never knew, kinda thought it was in OH.

So I think I may have found something to add to my personal "Top 5 Beer's Ever" list.

North Coast Grand Cru
9dkhql.jpg

Nice fruity Belgian character in the aroma with a strong, yet not overpowering whiskey/oak character and a tiny hint of sourness.
Flavor is...I don't even know. There is so much going on. Definitely pick up the bourbon barrel, but it plays so well with the light Belgian characters and some kind of "twang" in the back of the pallet. Just WOW! What a great way to start my weekend.
On a related note, got some WLP001 on the stirplate as we speak in preparation for tomorrow's brew day!

Not really beer but I made my own Skittles Vodka

(sorry for crappy pic, I only had my 3ds near by)
wgdJY.jpg

How is it? I have always wanted to try it since I saw it on lifehacker a few years ago, but never got around to it. Also, if you like infusing vodka, add a seeded jalapeno to a bottle of vodka, let it sit in the fridge for a week or so and use in Bloody Mary's. mmmmm

12/2/2011 Pliny acquired. Happy Holidays.

You lucky bastard. I hate not being able to get all those awesome west coast beers out here.

Good news is that we finally get Lagunita's in April...but it is at the "expense" of Left Hand and Avery...

I don't really have anywhere else to vent so I'll do it here. I was hoping to head out to Seattle for grad school, but my asshole of an undergrad professor (who I actually really liked and was a pretty good teacher/PI) who was explicitly said he would write me a letter of recommendation decided to never submit it and so my app went in as incomplete and will not be reviewed. Fuck him.

Avery >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lagunitas

You lucky bastard. I hate not being able to get all those awesome west coast beers out here.

Good news is that we finally get Lagunita's in April...but it is at the "expense" of Left Hand and Avery...

I don't really have anywhere else to vent so I'll do it here. I was hoping to head out to Seattle for grad school, but my asshole of an undergrad professor (who I actually really liked and was a pretty good teacher/PI) who was explicitly said he would write me a letter of recommendation decided to never submit it and so my app went in as incomplete and will not be reviewed. Fuck him.

Awwww. You'd like it in Seattle. I grew up here so I'm definitely biased, but it's awesome.

Avery >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lagunitas

Awwww. You'd like it in Seattle. I grew up here so I'm definitely biased, but it's awesome.

I was there a few years ago for a dental school interview and it was awesome. Unfortunately that did not work out. Also, I was born there, but my parents moved when I was like 2 so that doesn't really count. But everything I have heard makes me want to head out there. Some day...

also, good beer (to keep my drunken ramblings on topic.)

Also, also. I head to boulder a few times a year so stocking up on Avery is pretty easy. Speaking of Avery, I have the entire 2010 Demons of ale series in my closet and it calls to me every time I have a few to many. My ability to hold back lessens each time haha.

I was there a few years ago for a dental school interview and it was awesome. Unfortunately that did not work out. Also, I was born there, but my parents moved when I was like 2 so that doesn't really count. But everything I have heard makes me want to head out there. Some day...

also, good beer (to keep my drunken ramblings on topic.)

Where were you born?

BEER

Top Bottom