• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Doesn't Lindemans make a non-Kool Aid version of their lambics? I know it's not the stuff that is imported to the States, but I swear I had it in Belgium.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Doesn't Lindemans make a non-Kool Aid version of their lambics? I know it's not the stuff that is imported to the States, but I swear I had it in Belgium.

Yes. I do actually think a version makes it to the states in limited amounts, under the Cuvee Rene label (I believe it is a Kriek).

And I love Cuvee Rene, I think it is a fantastic gueuze.

But their shit lowest common denominator lambics can all go away and I would be fine with that.

At least New Glarus has the good sense not to call their fruit/sugar bombs lambics.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They can, obviously.

But no artificially sweetened trash like their beer (besides the gueuze) should be considered a quality lambic, or a real lambic at all.

So it's just because you don't like them. Got it.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So it's just because you don't like them. Got it.
No, it is because it is artificially sweetened that I think it is a disgrace to the word lambic. And after hearing Jean Van Roy talk about the subject a handful of times and saying very similar things, I am fairly comfortable with my opinion on the subject.

Lindeman's normal fruit beers are whatever, whether you like them or not is not the point. My point is that as lambic, they are not holding to traditions of what that means. Just like Sam Adams wasn't with their cranberry lambic.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
No, it is because it is artificially sweetened that I think it is a disgrace to the word lambic. And after hearing Jean Van Roy talk about the subject a handful of times and saying very similar things, I am fairly comfortable with my opinion on the subject.

Lindeman's normal fruit beers are whatever, whether you like them or not is not the point. My point is that as lambic, they are not holding to traditions of what that means. Just like Sam Adams wasn't with their cranberry lambic.

It wasn't an accusation, I'm just confirming you weren't saying it was some TSG violation or something.

Thank god there's no Cranberry Lambic in the Sam Adams winter pack this year.

It hasn't been in it for at least 2 years now...

Even if it wasn't a lambic it was a tasty brew. They got away with calling it a lambic because the craft beer boom has really only revved up in the past 5 years or so. Stylistic demands were a lot less strict when Crqnberry Lambic was made. I like it a lot better than their chocolate bock that replaced it.

Christmas weekend is gonna be awesome. Roommate and I are going to brew 5-7 beers in the next few days. Scotch Ale, Foreign Extra Stout, APA, American Amber, Northern English Brown, Sahti, probably a couple more

Angry Grimace

It hasn't been in it for at least 2 years now...

Even if it wasn't a lambic it was a tasty brew. They got away with calling it a lambic because the craft beer boom has really only revved up in the past 5 years or so. Stylistic demands were a lot less strict when Crqnberry Lambic was made. I like it a lot better than their chocolate bock that replaced it.

Christmas weekend is gonna be awesome. Roommate and I are going to brew 5-7 beers in the next few days. Scotch Ale, Foreign Extra Stout, APA, American Amber, Northern English Brown, Sahti, probably a couple more
Lambic itself is designated as Traditional speciality guaranteed (TSG) which describes its method of creation; it's not a territorial distinction at all. I don't know anything about how they made it so, perhaps it really was, and was just bad tasting.

My understanding is that most quality lambic blenders and producers use a fruit puree to sweeten it, rather than an artificial sweetener, which is what I think Yaboosh was upset about. I have no clue how Sam Adams did theirs.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Lambic itself is designated as Traditional speciality guaranteed (TSG) which describes its method of creation; it's not a territorial distinction at all. I don't know anything about how they made it so, perhaps it really was, and was just bad tasting.

My understanding is that most quality lambic blenders and producers use a fruit puree to sweeten it, rather than an artificial sweetener, which is what I think Yaboosh was upset about. I have no clue how Sam Adams did theirs.
No, most quality lambic producers don't sweeten their fruit lambic at all. They typically add the fruit to the barrel and all the sugars get consumed by the yeast and bacteria. This often results in an even drier, tarter beer than before.

True lambic producers don't try to cover up the wonderful flavors of the fermentation they took so long to create, they use fruit to accentuate those flavors.

Myzer

The larder is now well stocked for the holidays. Alot of these I have not tried, other are pretty standard.

4 Pines Pale Ale
James Squires IPA
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA
Little Creatures Pale Ale
Rochefort 6
Tuatara APA
Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye Ale
Stone Ruination IPA
Samuel Smiths Imperial Stout
Samuel Smiths India Ale
Mikkeller Centennial Single Hop IPA
La Trappe Tripel
La Trappe Quadrupel
Holgate Hopinator Douple IPA
Hop Dog Horns Up Rye IPA
Southern Tier Phin & Matts Extraordinary Ale
Moon Dog Henry Ford’s Girthsome Fjord

and now my wallet is very angry at me.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Anyone ever seen Brooklyn Ale outside of NYC? They told me it was shipped around the country but none of the specialty stores in Iowa seem to have it.

Myzer

Cracked open the Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout.

Never been a huge fan of stouts, but this is a stout I can get behind. Lots of various flavours without any of them being overpowering.

Forgot to take the classy photo of the bottle and glass before I started drinking it though. :)

In Nebraska to spend the holidays with my wife's family. Hitting up Lucky Bucket and Nebraska Brewing Company today.

Anyone ever seen Brooklyn Ale outside of NYC? They told me it was shipped around the country but none of the specialty stores in Iowa seem to have it.

Brooklyn gets steady distribution in British Columbia.

In Nebraska to spend the holidays with my wife's family. Hitting up Lucky Bucket and Nebraska Brewing Company today.

Brooklyn gets steady distribution in British Columbia.

Nebraska Brewing has some damn solid beer. Lucky Bucket can be hit or miss. Their winter Abbey is actually one of their better brews. I haven't been able to enjoy their lager since one of my friends pointed out that it has a distinct peanut butter note to it....haha oops.

Angry Grimace

No, most quality lambic producers don't sweeten their fruit lambic at all. They typically add the fruit to the barrel and all the sugars get consumed by the yeast and bacteria. This often results in an even drier, tarter beer than before.

True lambic producers don't try to cover up the wonderful flavors of the fermentation they took so long to create, they use fruit to accentuate those flavors.

That's good to know. I have very limited experience with lambic beyond whatever I read on Wikipedia and having had a few at the local beer bar.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Ohede.jpg

We brewed a pale ale with some tea leaves added to it yesterday. Behind that is our stout. We're bottling it next week. It has been fermenting for a long time and it should be right around 10% alcohol. I can't wait to try it out.

Angry Grimace

Had some fresh Maharaja, although I was a little confused since I had thought Maharaja was a summer specialty when I got to the store.

Didn't make it to Lucky Bucket or NBC today, will go on Monday to NBC, but no Lucky Bucket since they'll be closed.

Ended up at Upstream in the Old Market with my father-in-law and brother-in-law while the women shopped. Had two pints of the Bauman's Hop Farm Rye IPA... very tasty.

Stopped at Trader Joe's and got a 6-pack of Ska's Modus Hoperandi IPA. We don't have that in Seattle so I was stoked to pick it up. It was very strange, however, to not see all the Russian River products at TJ's, though.

Also went to the neighborhood HyVee and got some Empyrean Winter Tilt Festivale and Dark Side Vanilla Porter. The men are set for football tomorrow and Sunday.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Might I suggest billies chilies from twisted pine. Or just slice and remove the seeds from some jalapenos, habeneros, Anaheim, Serrano chilies and add them to the secondary of a good American wheat for about 5 days.

I love all beer styles if they are well made, but chili beer is gag inducing for me. Blech I say, blech!

I am drinking some Evil Twin right now and it is tasting migy fine if I do say so myself.

Sleepy

A buddy of mine brews a pepper beer that is a bit like the Vertical Epic. Just had that and the Third Voyage a few nights ago...I found both to be quality.

Getting into ambers a bit more now, after a serious addictions to IPAs. What are some of the stand out ambers? I have had Abita, Full Sail, Barrel Trolley, Bells...I liked them all. The Full Sail, surprisingly, was great...their IPAs leave a lot to be desired.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
A buddy of mine brews a pepper beer that is a bit like the Vertical Epic. Just had that and the Third Voyage a few nights ago...I found both to be quality.

Getting into ambers a bit more now, after a serious addictions to IPAs. What are some of the stand out ambers? I have had Abita, Full Sail, Barrel Trolley, Bells...I liked them all. The Full Sail, surprisingly, was great...their IPAs leave a lot to be desired.

I think Ballast Point's Calico Amber is great.

For how proliferated it is, Fat Tire is a solid biscuit malt based amber. I'd stay away from Boulevard's. It's pretty weak.

The pepper beer I'm planning is a Chocolate Pepper porter. My father (a chef) suggested red jalapenos (hadnt even heard of them). Said there is a nice combination of sweetness and spiciness. Though about putting them in the mash, but I'll probably just stick to the secondary to control it better. Too much pepper could be a disaster.

Charleville's Tornado Alley and O'fallon's Hemp Hop Rye are also great Amber Ales if they are distributed near you. Sorry, I'm a Saint Louisian so a lot of what I recommend is in the STL/Missouri area. Gotta plug the beer (Since I can't plug the Rams)

Did a Christmas 6-pack swap with my wife's cousin who lives in South Bend, IN.

I got him:
Russian River Pliny the Elder
Hale's Mongoose IPA
Hair of the Dog Fred
Hair of the Dog Ruth
Deschutes Inversion IPA
Deschutes Hop Trop

He got me:
2x Bells Two Hearted Ale
Three Floyds Pride and Joy Pale Ale
Three Floyds Alpha King Mild Ale
Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA
Bells Christmas Ale

Jos

The larder is now well stocked for the holidays. Alot of these I have not tried, other are pretty standard.

4 Pines Pale Ale
James Squires IPA
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA
Little Creatures Pale Ale
Rochefort 6
Tuatara APA
Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye Ale
Stone Ruination IPA
Samuel Smiths Imperial Stout
Samuel Smiths India Ale
Mikkeller Centennial Single Hop IPA
La Trappe Tripel
La Trappe Quadrupel
Holgate Hopinator Douple IPA
Hop Dog Horns Up Rye IPA
Southern Tier Phin & Matts Extraordinary Ale
Moon Dog Henry Ford’s Girthsome Fjord

and now my wallet is very angry at me.

Which version of Tuatara APA did you get? Is it the American Pale Ale or the Aotearoa Pale Ale? (They switched to all Kiwi hops with the current US hop shortage recently)

Went to Nebraska Brewing Co. today. Breweries in Nebraska need to work on the atmosphere of NOT looking like chain sports bar restaurants. $20+ bombers also don't help.

AcridMeat

Banned
Hope everyone is having a great holiday. Haven't been having too much beer the last couple days, lots of champagne instead. I did have a raspberry winter ale, I think it was from New Belgium, was incredibly sweet.

Tonight it's some Boont ESB (not my pic)
862.jpg

Top Bottom