• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

I know, right? Everyone is trying to make a black ipa while it's the fad style. Not really looking for a hop bomb like Snow Day to warm me up when it snows

Nice. Don't get complacent in sanitizing your chiller. Anything you stick in your beer is going to be more vulnerable to infection obviously. Currently using a Counter Flow Plate Chiller that works perfectly. Never used an immersion chiller myself

So I'm trying to put together this chocolate pepper porter recipe. Anyone do a chocolate or pepper beer? The consensus on the chocolate seems to be nibs or cocoa powder towards the end of the boil or in the secondary. Was thinking maybe bakers chocolate. Everyone seems to recommend some lactose to balance the bitterness as well.

I'd like to use a pepper with some sweetness and heat. Habaneros are a little too hot. I like the heat in jalapenos, but they dont really have the sweetness I want.

The sound of my very first homebrew happily bubbling away in the fermenter is very satisfying. Some thoughts on the process:

The biggest pain in the ass with the whole deal is keeping everything sanitized. I put bleach water into my fermenter and dumped everything into it and let it sit for an hour before brewing. That wasn't so bad, really, although it was a pain to rinse the thing out, and I forgot to put my hydrometer in and had to sanitize it separately. I am worried because I couldn't get my syphon started so I had to suck on the end to get it to start and I wonder if that caused it to get too much unwanted bacteria.

I also couldn't get my wort to cool. This is partly my own fault I suppose. I figured my chilled top off water would cool down very rapidly... well it did, just now down far enough for me to add the yeast. It was at about 110F and needed to come down more. I don't have a stop for my sink so I couldn't fill it with ice water to stick the fermenter in, so I had to just let it sit. Next time I brew I am going to get a stop and put ice water to chill the fermenter. This is part two of where I was worried about sanitation. I had to keep opening it up to check the temperature to see if I could add the yeast.

I tasted the wort once I was done taking the reading with my hydrometer, and I have to say it was quite delicious. I didn't expect the wort itself to be quite so beerlike. I got a brown ale kit, and the malt was just deliciously toasty almost like maple syrup.

Oh, I forgot, the guide I was using said that you should boil your wort at as low heat as possible. How important is that to the brewing process?

Now I have to drink two cases of beer to get enough bottles for bottling day. If I can't drink that much by then I'll have to buy a case of bottles, which is no big deal. I hear bottling is actually the biggest pain in the ass of the entire process though.

Can anyone suggest where I go from here? Should I try to start adding my own spices or ingredients to my wort? I did all of this from a kit so I don't know much about selecting what malts to use, or what hops to use, or even what the difference is between different yeasts. I guess I have much to learn yet.

I also couldn't get my wort to cool. This is partly my own fault I suppose. I figured my chilled top off water would cool down very rapidly... well it did, just now down far enough for me to add the yeast. It was at about 110F and needed to come down more. I don't have a stop for my sink so I couldn't fill it with ice water to stick the fermenter in, so I had to just let it sit. Next time I brew I am going to get a stop and put ice water to chill the fermenter. This is part two of where I was worried about sanitation. I had to keep opening it up to check the temperature to see if I could add the yeast.

Get a couple bags of ice and put them in the sink with your pot/fermenter of wort. It will cool it off incredibly fast.

The sound of my very first homebrew happily bubbling away in the fermenter is very satisfying. Some thoughts on the process:

The biggest pain in the ass with the whole deal is keeping everything sanitized. I put bleach water into my fermenter and dumped everything into it and let it sit for an hour before brewing. That wasn't so bad, really, although it was a pain to rinse the thing out, and I forgot to put my hydrometer in and had to sanitize it separately. I am worried because I couldn't get my syphon started so I had to suck on the end to get it to start and I wonder if that caused it to get too much unwanted bacteria.

I tasted the wort once I was done taking the reading with my hydrometer, and I have to say it was quite delicious. I didn't expect the wort itself to be quite so beerlike. I got a brown ale kit, and the malt was just deliciously toasty almost like maple syrup.

Oh, I forgot, the guide I was using said that you should boil your wort at as low heat as possible. How important is that to the brewing process?

Now I have to drink two cases of beer to get enough bottles for bottling day. If I can't drink that much by then I'll have to buy a case of bottles, which is no big deal. I hear bottling is actually the biggest pain in the ass of the entire process though.

Can anyone suggest where I go from here? Should I try to start adding my own spices or ingredients to my wort? I did all of this from a kit so I don't know much about selecting what malts to use, or what hops to use, or even what the difference is between different yeasts. I guess I have much to learn yet.

1. Switch from Bleach to Iodofor or Starsan sanitizer.

2. Get a cooling process going. Way too many opportunities for infection in this part of your process

3. Make sure you are using clean top off water and not just tap water.

4. Switch from dry yeast to liquid.

All really easy steps that will greatly improve the finished product. As far as boiling temp, it shouldnt really affect anything other than potential volume

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I had Ice Harbor's India Winter Ale, same idea. Not impressed.

Most people that I know are always disappointed by any Christmas or Winter labeled beer that isn't a winter warmer, i.e. Celebration. That one isn't really Sierra Nevada's fault, but I think explicitly calling a beer a winter warmer (like GF does) and having it be an IPA in everything but name is kind of a party foul.

I've had a ton of Christmas beers, so it's hard to remember all of them. Wasn't a big fan of the Jubel Ale from Deschutes, although my friends really loved the Super Jubel 2010 they had (although I didn't try it, regrettably)

Valnen

So I've tried a few different beers now. Most of it is disgusting IMO, but this I actually liked...

blue+moon.jpg

Sadly it's also kind of expensive =(. What else should I try if I liked this stuff?

So I've tried a few different beers now. Most of it is disgusting IMO, but this I actually liked...

blue+moon.jpg

Sadly it's also kind of expensive =(. What else should I try if I liked this stuff?

If you think Blue Moon is expensive, you're in for a world of hurt when you try real craft beer.

Where do you live? That way we don't recommend things you can't get.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Allagash White, but as distantmantra said, may or may not be available where you are.

Blue Moon shouldn't be expensive since it's just a MillerCoors take on a very mild witbier. It should only be a couple bucks more than any other macrobrew.

1. Switch from Bleach to Iodofor or Starsan sanitizer.

2. Get a cooling process going. Way too many opportunities for infection in this part of your process

3. Make sure you are using clean top off water and not just tap water.

4. Switch from dry yeast to liquid.

All really easy steps that will greatly improve the finished product. As far as boiling temp, it shouldnt really affect anything other than potential volume

Yeah, I was reading about the no-rinse sanitizers and contemplated getting them. I think all i need to do is get a stop for my sink and fill it with ice water and I will have nothing to worry about. It's a deep sink and I could cover 12 inches of my fermenter with ice water. I just didn't expect it to retain as much heat as it did. All of the water that I used was either spring water from two jugs I bought at the supermarket, or water directly from the filter in my refrigerator, so that I am not worried about at all.

As for liquid yeast, does it hold up to temperature better? Or is it just better quality or flavor?

I think all i need to do is get a stop for my sink and fill it with ice water and I will have nothing to worry about. It's a deep sink and I could cover 12 inches of my fermenter with ice water. I just didn't expect it to retain as much heat as it did.

This will get the job done really fast. Cool it in the pot before you transfer over to the fermenter.

So I've tried a few different beers now. Most of it is disgusting IMO, but this I actually liked.

Hoegarten and Shock Top. After that start jumping into the real craft stuff. I like New Belgiums Mothership and Spatens Franziskaner.

Yeah, I was reading about the no-rinse sanitizers and contemplated getting them. I think all i need to do is get a stop for my sink and fill it with ice water and I will have nothing to worry about. It's a deep sink and I could cover 12 inches of my fermenter with ice water. I just didn't expect it to retain as much heat as it did. All of the water that I used was either spring water from two jugs I bought at the supermarket, or water directly from the filter in my refrigerator, so that I am not worried about at all.

As for liquid yeast, does it hold up to temperature better? Or is it just better quality or flavor?

I take it you are fermenting in a bucket? I'd chill in the brewpot with the lid on. And get an autosiphon. They are cheap and easy to use. Liquid yeast is better in quality and taste, and you will get greater efficiency out of it. Plus more variety

HiResDes

Hoegarten and Shock Top. After that start jumping into the real craft stuff. I like New Belgiums Mothership and Spatens Franziskaner.

I take it you are fermenting in a bucket? I'd chill in the brewpot with the lid on. And get an autosiphon. They are cheap and easy to use. Liquid yeast is better in quality and taste, and you will get greater efficiency out of it. Plus more variety

Namaste and Alagash White are the very best IMO.

HiResDes

Drinking some Dubious Chocolate Stout right and I must say I'm extremely impressed...I can't believe there aren't more reviews on beer advocate, this is definitely a lesser known gem.

Valnen

If you think Blue Moon is expensive, you're in for a world of hurt when you try real craft beer.

Where do you live? That way we don't recommend things you can't get.

Sacramento

Allagash White, but as distantmantra said, may or may not be available where you are.
Bevmo seems to have it, they're a very short walk from me. So that's nice. I'll try that soon.

Pulled a bottle of my Old Jubilation clone and a bottle of my Hefeweizen (probably now considered a cristal weizen) out of the kegs for my trip to CO this weekend. (and on the far right you can see half a bottle of Budda, which will be consumed this evening. Fuck Champagne.
DPEQul.jpg

I am pumped to return with a car full of great CO and CA beer.

mmm Russian River and Oskar Blues...

Giard

blue+moon.jpg

The best white beer I've tasted is Blanche de Chambly. Try out Hoegaarden too, but that's really expensive, at least in Quebec.

h3ro

Just picked up two bottles of Allagash Victoria Ale.

Tonight is gonna be fun.

Happy New Year, Beer-GAF! Thanks for all the amazing suggestions this year.

Had some pretty great beer drinking adventures over the New Years weekend, but the highlights would have to be the 2 Russian River beers (Supplication and Redemption) and the Budda Nuvo, by Rockyard (kinda).
I have yet to have a less than amazing Beer from Russian River, and of course the 2 I had were no exception.

Finally, there was the Budda Nuvo.
KMNHIl.jpg

It was.....interesting. There was a hell of a lot going on in that beer. It was literally changing throughout my entire half pint. From the budda's hand to the peppercorns to the saison yeast, it was an experience. I'm not sure I'm ready to say it was worth the cost ($40), or that I would necessarily rush out to buy it again, but it is definitely a beer drinking experience I enjoyed and the perfect way to spend a New Years Day.

I don't know if I could ever spend 40 bucks on a beer. At least ay this point in my life. The roommate brewed a peach peppercorn saison that was Damn tasty though.

Need to think of a big beer to brew with my 70/- WLP001 yeast cake. (washed of course)

Currently thinking Russian Imperial Stout or an American Barleywine.

Choose for me beer-GAF. Ready GO

Brewing a citra hop pale ale tomorrow afternoon. Instead of handing out cigars when my daughter is born late next month, I'll be handing out homebrew.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Brewing a citra hop pale ale tomorrow afternoon. Instead of handing out cigars when my daughter is born late next month, I'll be handing out homebrew.
Citra is one of my favorite hops right now, at least of the ones I am able to actually get a contract for. It has a great peach/ mango character. Pairs really well with Columbus.

Citra is one of my favorite hops right now, at least of the ones I am able to actually get a contract for. It has a great peach/ mango character. Pairs really well with Columbus.

This is our plan. Our keg/brew-kettle isn't machined out yet, so no all-grain.

Recipe: Poppyseed's Citra Hop Pale Ale
Brewer: Nic George
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 3.67 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3.38 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Estimated Color: 9.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 36.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 115.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 13.3 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2 13.3 %
5 lbs 8.0 oz Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 3 73.3 %
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 14.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [6.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 5.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 11.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [6.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 1.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 3.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 Yeast 9 -
1.00 oz Cascade [6.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

I already bought the ingredients, so no changing things out, but any input on times would be appreciated.

Clydefrog

Had some pretty great beer drinking adventures over the New Years weekend, but the highlights would have to be the 2 Russian River beers (Supplication and Redemption) and the Budda Nuvo, by Rockyard (kinda).
I have yet to have a less than amazing Beer from Russian River, and of course the 2 I had were no exception.

Russian River makes amazing beer. It is #1 on my list of breweries I need to go to in CA that I haven't been to yet.

Acid08

Banned
This has become my go to beer:
racer5_01.JPG

It's SO good.

When I want to get fucking drunk though I turn to Denogg.
Drakes-DenogginizerNEW-190x290.jpg

9.75% of pure delicious heaven.

PtY will hit Seattle around my wife's due date...

Must be a good new Dad.

I like Younger, I do... but man... the hype behind the beer just isn't worth me standing in a two hour line to get some anymore. Not when there are a lot more breweries doing some fantastic hoppy beers. I can't remember the name of it... but 21 Amendment had a fantastic IPA that tasted just as good a year or two back during the same time.

That said... their sour beers usually have me the happiest. Very few US breweries besides ones like them and Lost Abby can pull it off as well.

Man... I miss my Sinners club. *sigh*

Any homebrewers on here with a recipe for a clone of Left Hand Milk Stout? If so please pm it to me.

Not sure what Left Hand's policy is, but I've had good luck emailing brewers and asking for homebrew recipes.

That being said, by looking at the info on their website, this much is known:
Left Hand said:
Style - Sweet Stout
Color - Black 47 SRM
Body - Full-bodied
ABV - 6.00%
IBUs - 25
Plato - 16° (1.065)
PKG - 6-pack, 12-pack and Keg
Malt - Pale 2-row, Crystal, Munich, Roast Barley, Flaked Oats, Flaked Barley and Chocolate
Hops - Magnum and US Goldings

Going from that and a pretty standard Milk Stout Recipe, the following should be similar
(based on 65% efficiency)

2 Row - 9#
Munich - 1#
Lactose - 1#
Roast Barley - 1#
Crystal 80 - 0.75#
Chocolate - 0.5#

Now these I am not exactly sure about. If they are just used to mouth feel, somewhere between 0.5-1# should do it.
Flaked Oats - 0.75#
Flaked Barley - 0.75#

As far as hops, I'm sure most of the IBUs comes from the Magnum at 60 min so,
0.5 oz Magnum @ 60 Min (21.5 IBU)
1.0 oz US Golding @ 5 Min (3.1 IBU)

Use something like WLP001 or US-05 for yeast. Should finish somewhere around 1.020

edit: and then there is this thread which is a clone that won BOS in the 2009 HBT comp.
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: DCL US-05
Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.062
Final Gravity: 1.022
IBU: 23
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 41.5
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 days at 68F
Tasting Notes: Adapted from the Zymurgy recipe

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Left Hand Milk Stout
Style: Sweet Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.13 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 41.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.0 SRM) Grain 56.57 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 8.08 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
12.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
10.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 5.05 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4.04 %
0.35 oz Magnum [12.10 %] (60 min) Hops 18.4 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 8.08 %
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 11.38 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 14.20 qt of water at 162.5 F 151.0 F

Notes:

The lactose was added with 10 minutes left in the boil.

395411_10150667905273712_136444978711_11991683_1216072251_n.jpg

Hitting up the neighborhood pub for dinner tonight with the wife. Definitely getting the Wargerlammercon IPA, seeing how it's not available anywhere else. Each month this year a different brewery is making something for Latona Pub's 25th Anniversary. In years past they've had Rogue, Fremont, Black Raven make a yearly birthday beer, but now we get 12 birthday beers!

Probably also have a glass of Damnation from the tap as well.

That said... their sour beers usually have me the happiest. Very few US breweries besides ones like them and Lost Abby can pull it off as well.

Do you have access to Cascade Brewing (Portland, OR)? They make some killer sours.

395411_10150667905273712_136444978711_11991683_1216072251_n.jpg

Hitting up the neighborhood pub for dinner tonight with the wife. Definitely getting the Wargerlammercon IPA, seeing how it's not available anywhere else. Each month this year a different brewery is making something for Latona Pub's 25th Anniversary. In years past they've had Rogue, Fremont, Black Raven make a yearly birthday beer, but now we get 12 birthday beers!

Probably also have a glass of Damnation from the tap as well.

Do you have access to Cascade Brewing (Portland, OR)? They make some killer sours.

I do! I also like their beers a lot. It's a bit harder to get the wider selection of their stuff down here but I know where to go if I get a craving. :)

pj

Banned
Is Six Point widely distributed?

I've only had a few styles, but they are already one of my favorite brewers.
43597.jpg

Stared the eveing out with Avery's Joe Pils, excellent beer. Nice firm hop bitterness and aroma in a super light pils.

Next up is Port Brewing's Shark Attack West Coast Red. The more beer I drink, the less impressed I am with these giant hop bombs of a beer. It is not a bad beer by any means, but with so much hop flavor and aroma, it ends up being kind of overwhelming to the point of being a bit boring.

Having some blueberry beer right now. Easy to drink, makes a nice dessert. When I go out tomorrow, though, I will seek out some Belgian Honey Ale to keep the (lightly) sweet theme going. If anyone can recommend any other lightly sweet beers, I'm all ears. :)

Top Bottom