• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

AcridMeat

Banned
The last of the holiday gifts.
ZNqc9l.jpg

z5uh8l.jpg

lzgqsl.jpg

Finally got my new temp controller and 7 cu ft freezer all set up. Now to add a few more kegs and get a collar with some tap handles in there, but turns out that is a bit of an investment, so picnic taps will have to serve for a while. On the good side, I finally have the ability to do lagers without having to store my kegs at room temp for 6-8 weeks!

AcridMeat

Banned
Currently enjoying a Steelhead Double IPA.

FDYK8.jpg

Lovely beer. I'm really digging the interplay between the sweet malt and very bitter finish

God damn it I bought the wrong one. I thought it was the Blue label, it has "extra pale ale" on it. It doesn't have as much flavor as I was hoping. :(

Newly minted 21yo-er here. Never been that big a fan of most beers I've tried, but I find I tolerate Abita Amber better than most others. Any other suggestions along those lines? Preferably ones that aren't as bitter/alcohol-y

thespot84

Try some Pale Ales. They're a step up from Ambers, but not overpowering or "bitter."

I wouldn't 'not' try pale ales, but also keep in mind they tend to be hoppy to a neophite. Most people start on wheats, which are malty and sweet, fruity sometimes, and work their way into more hops. By all means try a pale, but if you're turned off please don't be turned off from beer, you may just need to attack it from a different angle.

AcridMeat

Banned
I was going to say that IPAs are high in alcohol (typically) and tend to be the most hoppy, which to someone new would be bitter. Don't start on those if you want to enjoy yourself.

I quite like red ales if you can find a well regarded local brew in your area. I agree with spot, wheats are the easiest to get into.

Newly minted 21yo-er here. Never been that big a fan of most beers I've tried, but I find I tolerate Abita Amber better than most others. Any other suggestions along those lines? Preferably ones that aren't as bitter/alcohol-y

I'm a big fan of wheat beers and Amber Ales

Blue Moon, and Fat Tire are the two I'd suggest that should be fairly easy to find where ever.

thespot84

I'm a big fan of wheat beers and Amber Ales

Blue Moon, and Fat Tire are the two I'd suggest that should be fairly easy to find where ever.

New Belgium (Fat Tire) also makes sunshine wheat, which is fairly widely distributed as well. It's filtered, unlike blue moon, and damn tasty on tap. Where are you so that we may tailor our suggestions to your locale?

Find some Brown Ales. The masses like Newcastle and Samuel Smith (yum I do too). My beer education started with Wheats, like most people. I made my way through each style the same way. Trying every single one I could get my hands on until I was sick of them. You will find out which you like and which you don't, and what particular aspects of the style you're drawn to. Drink all the Wheats you can, you will start to drift to the other sweet malty beers (browns, stouts, porters) and in a year you will be on here celebrating the release of seasonal IPAs like Hopslam. If you don't like a beer, don't be afraid to try it again in a couple of months. Your palate develops quicker than you realize

thatbox

Banned
New Orleans, so finding most kinds of liquor shouldn't be too big of a problem :p
You'd be surprised. Avenue Pub and d.b.a. and The Bulldog have good tap selection, but it can be hard to find bottles on your own. The store with the best selection in the state isn't even in the city, but on the north shore. On Fridays, though, NOLA Brewing does a free tour with pretty much all-you-can drink beer at the end, so you could do that at the end of the week if you wanted to try their offerings.

We've had a couple days of snow madness here in Seattle. My work (school district) is closed again tomorrow, so I enjoyed a bottle of Pliny that I had chilling out in the snow earlier today.

405313_3109572139415_1267691058_33294352_565655162_n.jpg

Meadows

Banned
So GAF, is it possible to be allergic to Light Beer?

I had a Coors Light before and got a really itchy/swollen throat, something that I also get when I eat some raw fruits (Oral Allergy Syndrome).

Someone suggested it was something to do with Sulphites but I drink red wine and I'm fine. Normal beer is fine too.

Is it my imagination?

yes yes, I know, Coors Light is crap

AcridMeat

Banned
I've had the same exact thing happen to me Meadows. I can't recall exactly what I was drinking, but it has always been after a night out so probably some shit beer mixed in.

Xeke

Banned
1rqow.jpg

Picked up my first growler today! I'm gonna save it for the football games tomorrow. Filled with a delicious local IPA.

Head_Hunter_IPA(1).jpg

Orayn

My official recommendation is Fat Tire from New Belgium Brewing Co. Tasty, well-balanced ale that's extremely friendly to the palate, and pretty easy to find as well.

So GAF, is it possible to be allergic to Light Beer?

I had a Coors Light before and got a really itchy/swollen throat, something that I also get when I eat some raw fruits (Oral Allergy Syndrome).

Someone suggested it was something to do with Sulphites but I drink red wine and I'm fine. Normal beer is fine too.

Is it my imagination?

yes yes, I know, Coors Light is crap

I can't think of anything in light beer that is not in regular beer. As far as I can tell it is simply regular beer diluted with more water post fermentation. If youre concerned about calories try Guinness Draught

Meadows

Banned
I can't think of anything in light beer that is not in regular beer. As far as I can tell it is simply regular beer diluted with more water post fermentation. If youre concerned about calories try Guinness Draught

I just fancied trying light beer for a change, I'm not trying to cut calories, but it's really weird, I don't have any allergy to any other beer, or even when I've had Coors Light on tap. It's not a one off either, yesterday night I had a Coors Light bottle and had the same thing.

Weird.

Brief impressions of the new brews in the Sam Adams Brewmasters Choice 12-pack (aka the Spring variety pack).

Alpine Spring
f54a.jpeg

This is the new Spring Seasonal (Noble Pils is going year-around, apparently). It's a lager (they don't say specifically what kind, seems like a hybrid of a couple varieties). It tastes most like a Pilsner to me. It's pretty good, but it's nothing special though. But I'm not really a fan of Pilsners as I think they are rather bland. Edit: So it's a Helles apparently. That also explains why I don't like it much, as I'm just not a fan of pale lagers.

Mighty Oak Ale
f54B.jpeg

This won the "Beer Lover's Choice" campaign for this year. It's a fairly sweet ale with an extra character from some oak aging. I can see why this won the contest. It's super accessible to a beer neophyte but the flavor is also strong enough (and complex enough) to please beer nerds. The flavor is predominantly malt, and it's got a rich caramel taste to it with a bit of vanilla. I like a good malty beer so this was one my favorites.

Whitewater IPA
f54Z.jpeg

This is basically a wheat ale + an IPA. It's really crisp and very drinkable, and it also has a nice hop punch. Honestly I think they might have just taken their old White Ale recipe, made a few slight adjustments, and crammed a ton of hops in to make it a white IPA. It's not a super IPA by any means, but the hops are at the forefront. I thought it was quite piney tasting, and also had a hint of citrus. They say they added apricot in there as well but I don't really notice it much. It's not as strong as the the Latitude 48 IPA, but I like it more.

Of the three, I'd say the Mighty Oak was my favorite, with the Whitewater IPA coming in a very close second. The Alpine Spring is alright but nothing special. The other three brews in the pack are Boston Lager, Black Lager, and Irish Red.

I just fancied trying light beer for a change, I'm not trying to cut calories, but it's really weird, I don't have any allergy to any other beer, or even when I've had Coors Light on tap. It's not a one off either, yesterday night I had a Coors Light bottle and had the same thing.

Weird.

Probably some sort of adjunct or preservative they add into the bottle recipe that isn't in the tap recipe.

I actually had the White Water and Mighty Oak the other night at friend's house. Mighty Oak is a little too sweet for my liking, wish it had more of the oak character and less of the vanilla. White Water wasn't bad. Very average middle of the road IPA, but the apricot was not present at all. DFH's Aprihop is still the best one out there.

I actually had the White Water and Mighty Oak the other night at friend's house. Mighty Oak is a little too sweet for my liking, wish it had more of the oak character and less of the vanilla. White Water wasn't bad. Very average middle of the road IPA, but the apricot was not present at all. DFH's Aprihop is still the best one out there.

I think this pretty much typifies most of the Sam Adams brews. They are almost universally good, but very rarely great. They make very accessible craft beer. There isn't one of them I don't like, but I wouldn't put any of them in my all time favorites list either. I'd say overall their best beer (that I've had) was the Bonfire Rauchbier.

The only real exception of that rule is Utopias, which is insanely extreme. I might put that in my all time favorites, but I barely consider it beer because it is so strong and intense. It's closer to brandy. And it's super delicious.

thatbox

Banned

Weird.

Maybe corn or rice? Although I assume you'd know if you had those allergies by now.

I know my Dad can't drink Coors, Bud, or Miller beers. I sometimes have trouble with them as well. I wonder if we're both allergic to something they have in common. We get the same itchy throat feeling. I also get a headache from just 1 beer from them.

I cracked open my first bottle of homebrewed beer, and I am ready to call it a great success. It's delicious. I think since it's a brown ale it is probably more forgiving than some, but it tastes very delicious to me. It has only been bottled for a week, so it wasn't super carbonated yet (I did have about a half inch of head, so it had carbonation, just needs some more time). I think by next week it will be perfect, but that's not going to stop me from drinking a six pack of it this week. I learned some good lessons in my first attempt, so things will go a lot more smoothly the next time.

I think I want to try a white or a hefeweizen for my next brew. Something I can try to add some nice spices too. Some more questions for you guys...

Where do you guys buy your ingredients? There is a homebrew store in town but they are very pricey and I imagine there must be better places to purchase from online.

When you are brewing your beer, at what point do you add spices? I was thinking coriander, cinnamon, and orange peel/zest if I go with a white. If you add them during the boil, will they lose too much of their character? Or will it mellow them out and blend the flavor? Any tips?

fenners

I cracked open my first bottle of homebrewed beer, and I am ready to call it a great success.
Where do you guys buy your ingredients? There is a homebrew store in town but they are very pricey and I imagine there must be better places to purchase from online.

Congrats!! I love my homebrew; it's far from perfect & I need to seriously get some temperature control going for my fermentation (TX...) but it works for me.

I'm fortunate to have Austin Homebrew Supply as my local homebrew store, but their in-store prices match their online prices & they rock for customer service. I do think their hops are a little overpriced because they sell them in 1oz bags, so I've bought bulk "basic" hops like Cascade, Kent Golding in pound bags & just freeze 'em as I make a lot of pale ales etc with those hops.

But you can't go wrong with AHS or Northern Brewer I think.

I cracked open my first bottle of homebrewed beer, and I am ready to call it a great success. It's delicious. I think since it's a brown ale it is probably more forgiving than some, but it tastes very delicious to me. It has only been bottled for a week, so it wasn't super carbonated yet (I did have about a half inch of head, so it had carbonation, just needs some more time). I think by next week it will be perfect, but that's not going to stop me from drinking a six pack of it this week. I learned some good lessons in my first attempt, so things will go a lot more smoothly the next time.

I think I want to try a white or a hefeweizen for my next brew. Something I can try to add some nice spices too. Some more questions for you guys...

When you are brewing your beer, at what point do you add spices? I was thinking coriander, cinnamon, and orange peel/zest if I go with a white. If you add them during the boil, will they lose too much of their character? Or will it mellow them out and blend the flavor? Any tips?

I've had good experience from Midwest Supplies, Morebeer, Brewmaster's Warehouse and Northern Brewer.
Austin homebrew also seems to be recommended quite often, but I have never ordered anything from them.

As far as spice additions go, you have a few options:
1. Add them late in the boil (1-2 min left) - This has the advantage of sanitizing you spices, but some of the more volatile aromas and flavors may lost during the boil and primary fermentation.
2. Add directly to the secondary (or primary once the bulk of fermentation is complete) - This will probably get you the best flavors, but also has the highest risk for infection.
3. Add spices to ~210ºF water and make a "tea," then add the "tea" to the 2º. This is a great way to get most of the spice flavors and has the advantage of sanitizing your spices. From my understanding, this works better for some spices than others, so you may have to mess around with the recipe to get your tea to have the taste you want.
4. Add spices to alcohol such as whiskey or vodka for a few days (or weeks) and then add just the spiced alcohol, filtering the spices out, at bottling or kegging. This works really well with something like vanilla and whiskey in a bourbon vanilla porter. You will get some flavor from whatever alcohol you use, so it is best to use this method only if you want a certain character.

Here is a Jamil Show podcast link that contains a 50 min podcast discussing the use of spices in beers that is worth listening too.

Congrats!! I love my homebrew; it's far from perfect & I need to seriously get some temperature control going for my fermentation (TX...) but it works for me.

Thanks! Luckily for me the temperature isn't an issue. I left my fermenter in my (finished) basement. It's always about 5 degrees cooler down there, especially on the floor, than the rest of my house. I would say it stays between 63-68 degrees in the winter down there, and if the AC is on in the summer it's 65-70 degrees. I might get a thermometer to put down there to gauge the temperature a little better for my next batch.

I'm fortunate to have Austin Homebrew Supply as my local homebrew store, but their in-store prices match their online prices & they rock for customer service. I do think their hops are a little overpriced because they sell them in 1oz bags, so I've bought bulk "basic" hops like Cascade, Kent Golding in pound bags & just freeze 'em as I make a lot of pale ales etc with those hops.

But you can't go wrong with AHS or Northern Brewer I think.

I've had good experience from Midwest Supplies, Morebeer, Brewmaster's Warehouse and Northern Brewer.
Austin homebrew also seems to be recommended quite often, but I have never ordered anything from them.

I was looking at Northern Brewer and Midwest Supplies last night. I'll have to check out AHS and the others today.

As far as spice additions go, you have a few options:
1. Add them late in the boil (1-2 min left) - This has the advantage of sanitizing you spices, but some of the more volatile aromas and flavors may lost during the boil and primary fermentation.
2. Add directly to the secondary (or primary once the bulk of fermentation is complete) - This will probably get you the best flavors, but also has the highest risk for infection.
3. Add spices to ~210ºF water and make a "tea," then add the "tea" to the 2º. This is a great way to get most of the spice flavors and has the advantage of sanitizing your spices. From my understanding, this works better for some spices than others, so you may have to mess around with the recipe to get your tea to have the taste you want.
4. Add spices to alcohol such as whiskey or vodka for a few days (or weeks) and then add just the spiced alcohol, filtering the spices out, at bottling or kegging. This works really well with something like vanilla and whiskey in a bourbon vanilla porter. You will get some flavor from whatever alcohol you use, so it is best to use this method only if you want a certain character.

Here is a Jamil Show podcast link that contains a 50 min podcast discussing the use of spices in beers that is worth listening too.

Thanks for the info, it's very enlightening. I don't have a secondary fermenter yet, but I might get one soon if I need to for a recipe. I'm still not entirely sure why you need a secondary fermeter yet, at this point, so I'll have to read up on it. I'll ahve to give that podcast a listen.

Also, how about fruits? I figure it would be very similar to spices. I was thinking about buying a few pounds of blueberries/cherries and mashing and boiling them into a syrup and adding them toward the end of fermentation to see how it would effect the flavor. I take it that's typically how it is done?

Thanks for the info, it's very enlightening. I don't have a secondary fermenter yet, but I might get one soon if I need to for a recipe. I'm still not entirely sure why you need a secondary fermeter yet, at this point, so I'll have to read up on it. I'll ahve to give that podcast a listen.

Also, how about fruits? I figure it would be very similar to spices. I was thinking about buying a few pounds of blueberries/cherries and mashing and boiling them into a syrup and adding them toward the end of fermentation to see how it would effect the flavor. I take it that's typically how it is done?

I use the term "secondary" more as a catch-all type phrase for after the majority of your fermentation is complete, usually 1-2 weeks after pitching. (It's bad/confusing phrasing that I need to stop) Unless you want the beer to sit on the spice for an extended period of time (2+ months) there is no need for a secondary, in fact, I would avoid using a secondary fermentor except for aging for longer that 8 weeks or adding fruit, and even the fruit, I'm not sure if it is completely necessary, although you will probably get less aeration racking onto fruit then you would dumping fruit on top of your beer. As far as using fruit, I would highly recommend using fruit puree that is made for brewing/winemaking. It is so much easier to use than whole fruit, and in my experience, the flavors from it have been phenomenal.

I use the term "secondary" more as a catch-all type phrase for after the majority of your fermentation is complete, usually 1-2 weeks after pitching. (It's bad/confusing phrasing that I need to stop) Unless you want the beer to sit on the spice for an extended period of time (2+ months) there is no need for a secondary, in fact, I would avoid using a secondary fermentor except for aging for longer that 8 weeks or adding fruit, and even the fruit, I'm not sure if it is completely necessary, although you will probably get less aeration racking onto fruit then you would dumping fruit on top of your beer. As far as using fruit, I would highly recommend using fruit puree that is made for brewing/winemaking. It is so much easier to use than whole fruit, and in my experience, the flavors from it have been phenomenal.

Good to know. I just sort of like the idea of using my own fruit puree, plus it might actually be cheaper (though a lot more work). I would probably get the secondary fermenter/carboy so I could have two batches going if I was going to let something sit for a while.

That Brewmaster's warehouse recipe builder is hella cool. Some things, like the quantities of extracts to use I still don't quite understand yet, and that really helps.

So I was just fortunate enough to have my first bomber of Mirror Pond Pale...
HOLY MOTHER OF GOD
Pretty much the pale ale of forever and it deserves ever ounce of praise it has ever received. Now if only I didn't have to drive to KC to get it...

So I was just fortunate enough to have my first bomber of Mirror Pond Pale...
HOLY MOTHER OF GOD
Pretty much the pale ale of forever and it deserves ever ounce of praise it has ever received. Now if only I didn't have to drive to KC to get it...

One of my dad's best friends is the former brewmaster for Dechutes (created the Abyss, etc.). He left a couple a weeks ago to start his own brewry in Bend. Glad you enjoyed it, get yourself some Red Chair and Hop Henge if they have distribution in MO.

One of my dad's best friends is the former brewmaster for Dechutes (created the Abyss, etc.). He left a couple a weeks ago to start his own brewry in Bend. Glad you enjoyed it, get yourself some Red Chair and Hop Henge if they have distribution in MO.

Apparently they just started in MO. I picked up some Mirror Pond and a Porter last weekend. All they had available was 4-5 different beers in bombers and I don't remember what the others were. I'll have my friend grab one of each when he comes up for a beerfest in a few weeks and I'll know then.

Apparently they just started in MO. I picked up some Mirror Pond and a Porter last weekend. All they had available was 4-5 different beers in bombers and I don't remember what the others were. I'll have my friend grab one of each when he comes up for a beerfest in a few weeks and I'll know then.

Black Butte Porter. There's also a yearly Black Butte specialty version that comes out in June. BBXXIII which was released in June 2011, is best AFTER June 2012.

thespot84

Black Butte Porter. There's also a yearly Black Butte specialty version that comes out in June. BBXXIII which was released in June 2011, is best AFTER June 2012.

I'm certainly biased towards CO beer however deschutes is in my top 5 easily and always a go to, specifically mirror pond and black butte, and their IPA is fantastic too.

I'm certainly biased towards CO beer however deschutes is in my top 5 easily and always a go to, specifically mirror pond and black butte, and their IPA is fantastic too.

Inversion (the IPA) is nice and grassy with some herbal tea notes. Hop Henge (Imperial IPA) and Red Chair (NW Pale Ale) are both worth picking up, and they're currently available.

fenners

Inversion (the IPA) is nice and grassy with some herbal tea notes. Hop Henge (Imperial IPA) and Red Chair (NW Pale Ale) are both worth picking up, and they're currently available.

I got a twelve pack of Deschutes at Target over the weekend - 4 different styles. Red Chair is the winner by far, and I'm going to have to brew up a clone of that style...

Grabbed dinner from a place near our local Specs... Which had Maharaja back in stock. *Score*.

Jos

I've lurked in this thread for a while coming from Games GAF.

Last year I helped setup a brewery in Wellington, New Zealand called Garage Project. We launched as a nano, brewing 50L batches under something we called 24/24 - we committed to brewing and releasing 24 different beers in 24 weeks.

We're just in the process of ramping up to a 10bbl kit. If there is interest, I can post the odd update along the way here.

tumblr_lxau39dugH1qiqr26.jpg

I've lurked in this thread for a while coming from Games GAF.

Last year I helped setup a brewery in Wellington, New Zealand called Garage Project. We launched as a nano, brewing 50L batches under something we called 24/24 - we committed to brewing and releasing 24 different beers in 24 weeks.

We're just in the process of ramping up to a 10bbl kit. If there is interest, I can post the odd update along the way here.

tumblr_lxau39dugH1qiqr26.jpg

OK this is all sorts of Bad Ass haha
BavgJ.jpg

Top Bottom