• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
corona_six.gif

Always stellar, and budget-minded. ;)

founders_breakfast_stout-412x600.jpg

This is my favorite time of year. Spent $267 on Breakfast stout's this week. At least I am now stocked up for Spring/Summer breakfast stout cravings. :D

Also picked up a bunch of Terrapin's Wake-N-Bake!

wnb-oatmeal-coffe-stout.jpg

z5uh8l.jpg

lzgqsl.jpg

Finally got my new temp controller and 7 cu ft freezer all set up. Now to add a few more kegs and get a collar with some tap handles in there, but turns out that is a bit of an investment, so picnic taps will have to serve for a while. On the good side, I finally have the ability to do lagers without having to store my kegs at room temp for 6-8 weeks!

How long does a keg generally stay fresh once you tap it? I've been debating picking up a kegerator.....

How long does a keg generally stay fresh once you tap it? I've been debating picking up a kegerator.....

As long as you have it hooked up to CO2 - pretty much indefinitely. This does depend on the beer however. Any beer where hop character is a major part of it (IPA, Pale Ale, etc) or low ABV wheat beers (pretty much all wheat heavy beers excluding wheat wine) should be consumed in a few weeks. Other than that, you could throw an imperial stout in a keg and have a pint a month for years and it would only get better.

As long as you have it hooked up to CO2 - pretty much indefinitely. This does depend on the beer however. Any beer where hop character is a major part of it (IPA, Pale Ale, etc) or low ABV wheat beers (pretty much all wheat heavy beers excluding wheat wine) should be consumed in a few weeks. Other than that, you could throw an imperial stout in a keg and have a pint a month for years and it would only get better.

Is it easy to get quality craft beers in the smaller kegs?

Is it easy to get quality craft beers in the smaller kegs?

Yeah, lots of craft breweries do 1/6 Barrel (5ish Gallon Kegs). Mine are re-purposed soda kegs w/ homebrew, but I know there are parts to attach commercial sanke kegs to basic kegorator hardware.

Bottling a batch on Sunday. Damn, I really need to get kegs...

One of the best investments in my homebrew setup was kegging. Makes life sooooooooooooooooooooooo much easier

Yeah, lots of craft breweries do 1/6 Barrel (5ish Gallon Kegs). Mine are re-purposed soda kegs w/ homebrew, but I know there are parts to attach commercial sanke kegs to basic kegorator hardware.

Awesome! I just found a store in the area that even has Founders Breakfast stout! Time to start researching kegerators. :)

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
eh, not really my taste. If i have only mexican beer I'd prefer a modelo of some variety, or even pacifico.

this is a place for beer snobs to out beer snob one another, didn't anyone tell you? :p

Ohhhh, you want to see my Dad's custom built bar? Oh well, we sold that house xD.
He was an enthusiast, stocked the thing with a variety of beers and wine.

I'll try to follow in his footsteps so you can oust me as well.

Bottling the Citra Hop Pale Ale tomorrow afternoon.

I'm enjoying a Racer 5 IPA at the pub right now, one of my favorite IPA's.

I'm heading over to Fremont Brewing pretty soon to get a growler of 77 Session IPA and probably have a pint of the Hand of Buddha cask IPA.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
got my homebrew kit in this week. starting my first brew tomorrow. excited to wait for several weeks :)

dubc35

I'm heading over to Fremont Brewing pretty soon to get a growler of 77 Session IPA and probably have a pint of the Hand of Buddha cask IPA.
I don't recall their (Fremont) recent seasonal but it was damn tasty. It was a weird name. Do they make more than one IPA? I've had one before but also don't recall the name. Ha, seems to be a trend here.

I don't recall their (Fremont) recent seasonal but it was damn tasty. It was a weird name. Do they make more than one IPA? I've had one before but also don't recall the name. Ha, seems to be a trend here.

Abominable Winter Ale was the most recent seasonal. The bourbon barrel version was even better.

Interurban is the standard IPA and they had Homefront IPA, which was the summer seasonal brewed with former M's pitcher Chris Ray. The Publican IPA is new, it's a Rye IPA made for The Publican in Tangletown. They also have The Brother and The Sister, which are both Imperial IPAs.

Orayn

pmXu7.jpg

Orayn's exploration of the IPA style continues! Tonight it's an Avery. It's got some very fresh, grapefruit-y hops going on, but the malt is quite sweet and prominent in the flavor. I'm considering making this one of my stanbys if I can find a local place that stocks it consistently.

pmXu7.jpg

Orayn's exploration of the IPA style continues! Tonight it's an Avery. Like the Dogfish Head Double IPA, it's got some very fresh, grapefruit-y hops going on. The malt is definitely sweeter and more prominent, though. I might make this one of my standbys if I can find a local place that stocks it consistently.

Avery IPA was the beer that got me into craft brew (along with Ellie's Brown).

I am drinking an Avery Dugana at the moment and...I really want to like it, but ehhh, not one of their stronger beers. Not attenuated enough and not enough hops. It dinks like the malt of a IIPA with the hops of an IPA and it doesn't really work for me. Maharaja and their standard IPA are both preferable.

dubc35

Abominable Winter Ale was the most recent seasonal. The bourbon barrel version was even better.

Interurban is the standard IPA and they had Homefront IPA, which was the summer seasonal brewed with former M's pitcher Chris Ray. The Publican IPA is new, it's a Rye IPA made for The Publican in Tangletown. They also have The Brother and The Sister, which are both Imperial IPAs.

The Cowiche Canyon Fresh Hop Ale was the seasonal I was thinking of. I've had the Interurban but that's the only IPA I've had of theirs.

I've never been to the Publican, or heard of it (just google'd it). I love Brouwer's though. It's been a while since I've been in Tangletown. I only really have been there to get Great Pumpkin Ale from Elysian (for the hour or so they have it).

I just realized the only problem with really great/rare seasonal beers. I now have a backlog of beer. It's also going to look really weird if anyone stops by....

I just realized the only problem with really great/rare seasonal beers. I now have a backlog of beer. It's also going to look really weird if anyone stops by....

But it makes life a bit easier when you go into a good beer store. Could you imagine how long it would take to pick out a beer if they had all your favorite seasonals all the time? That is not a world I want to live in...

founders_breakfast_stout-412x600.jpg

This is my favorite time of year. Spent $267 on Breakfast stout's this week. At least I am now stocked up for Spring/Summer breakfast stout cravings. :D

Also picked up a bunch of Terrapin's Wake-N-Bake!

wnb-oatmeal-coffe-stout.jpg

My buddy and I argue over which is the better stout. I prefer the Breakfast Stout, he prefers the Wake & Bake. At the end of the day, they're both fantastic. Have you tried the Founders Imperial Stout? It's not as sweet as the Breakfast, but it's amazing in its own right.

Sad news of the day:

I started my beer store's Hopslam list. I was numero uno. Instead of calling me, so I could drive 5 minutes and pick up my beer, they forgot about the list and sold it all. I'm now nursing an Avery Maharajah as a consolation prize.

My buddy and I argue over which is the better stout. I prefer the Breakfast Stout, he prefers the Wake & Bake. At the end of the day, they're both fantastic. Have you tried the Founders Imperial Stout? It's not as sweet as the Breakfast, but it's amazing in its own right.

Sad news of the day:

I started my beer store's Hopslam list. I was numero uno. Instead of calling me, so I could drive 5 minutes and pick up my beer, they forgot about the list and sold it all. I'm now nursing an Avery Maharajah as a consolation prize.

Founds breakfast stout is the single best beer on Earth in my opinions. I enjoy the W&B as well, but it just doesn't have the creamy malt flavor of the breakfast stout. If you get a chance, mix it 50/50 with the Moohoo chocolate milk stout. It's quite nice. Sadly Terrapin is not selling moohoo this year.

Both you and your friend have incredible taste though. :) Good news: next winter Founders is doubling the production of Breakfast/Canadian Breakfast/Kentucky Breakfast stouts.

The Cowiche Canyon Fresh Hop Ale was the seasonal I was thinking of. I've had the Interurban but that's the only IPA I've had of theirs.

Ooooooh... Cowiche Canyon was absolutely brilliant this year. Easily my favorite fresh hop of 2011.

I've never been to the Publican, or heard of it (just google'd it). I love Brouwer's though. It's been a while since I've been in Tangletown. I only really have been there to get Great Pumpkin Ale from Elysian (for the hour or so they have it).

Publican just opened a few weeks ago. I went there last week with a buddy and had the Publican IPA and their chicken and waffles. It was good, but I prefer Latona Pub. Brouwers is incredibly pretentious (a bouncer on the weekends? At a beer bar? SERIOUSLY?!?) so I don't go there very often.

Founds breakfast stout is the single best beer on Earth in my opinions. I enjoy the W&B as well, but it just doesn't have the creamy malt flavor of the breakfast stout. If you get a chance, mix it 50/50 with the Moohoo chocolate milk stout. It's quite nice. Sadly Terrapin is not selling moohoo this year.

Both you and your friend have incredible taste though. :) Good news: next winter Founders is doubling the production of Breakfast/Canadian Breakfast/Kentucky Breakfast stouts.

First off: You're wrong. I have Moohoo Stout in vast quantities less than a mile away in Kennesaw, GA. They are definitely making it, though they've moved to the 4 pack instead of the 6 pack. I will definitely try mixing it though. I did get to try some CBS, though I was unsuccessful in getting my own bottle. I found a bar willing to sell me one for $30, but that was a bit much.

I actually know Spike from Terrapin. My buddy owns and is brew master at a brew pub in downtown Atlanta (Max Lager's), so I've met Spike several times through him (including once backstage at Bonaroo). My buddy won 3rd place at the Colorado "Great American Beerfest" last year for his Imperial Mocha Stout (Imperial Stout category). It's good to know brewpub owners because they won't let you pay for beer.

Ok, time for a serious question: What do you like to drink your beer out of? DO you have a favorite glass/mug?

Mine:

6773612845_51a393d17a_z.jpg

First off: You're wrong. I have Moohoo Stout in vast quantities less than a mile away in Kennesaw, GA. They are definitely making it, though they've moved to the 4 pack instead of the 6 pack. I will definitely try mixing it though. .

sonofabitch. I hate living in a tiny town sometimes. Both of our beer stores told me they were told no moohoo this year :(

Now I have to track some down!

Also, random story: I used to tend bar in Kennesaw GA. :)

dubc35

Publican just opened a few weeks ago. I went there last week with a buddy and had the Publican IPA and their chicken and waffles. It was good, but I prefer Latona Pub. Brouwers is incredibly pretentious (a bouncer on the weekends? At a beer bar? SERIOUSLY?!?) so I don't go there very often.

Latona > all.

I haven't been to Brouwer's in a while but when I went there it was usually in the late afternoon / early evening so I never got the pretentious stuff. I can see how it would happen though. My friends and I always think it used to be a cock fighting place or something, viewing from the balcony above.

Ok, time for a serious question: What do you like to drink your beer out of? DO you have a favorite glass/mug?

I drink most beers out of a straight pint glass, but I've got snifters and tulips for Imperial IPAs, Barleywines, Stouts, etc. as well as lambics and wild ales.

My favorite pint glass is probably the one I got at the Baird Taproom in Tokyo in 2010.

Mine:

sonofabitch. I hate living in a tiny town sometimes. Both of our beer stores told me they were told no moohoo this year :(

Mine:
4rxVhl.jpg

Because when I drink I get Emo as fuck and this glass is usually quite fitting
Also, Odell Brewing is one of my favorite breweries, so that helps too

Mine:

Nice! If you are unsuccessful, PM me and I'll hook you up with some Moohoo.

pmXu7.jpg

Orayn's exploration of the IPA style continues! Tonight it's an Avery. It's got some very fresh, grapefruit-y hops going on, but the malt is quite sweet and prominent in the flavor. I'm considering making this one of my stanbys if I can find a local place that stocks it consistently.

I sure hope that isn't a picture you took, because Avery IPA's had a different label for over a year and a half now.

Let's see the best of your stash!
8lhaQl.jpg

Meph., Beast and Old Stock '09, Samuel's '10.
I wish I started appreciating beer earlier and had more self control to stash more away.

Chopper

I have never seen this thread before, and it excites me! I am a publican in the UK, and beer is my passion. Bare in mind I'm an Englishman, and real ale is my bag. I am currently drunk off my ass on this:

g9G4O.jpg

Langham Hip Hop, brewed out of Lodsworth, a local brewery. Actually not bottled, but out of my immaculately kept 9g cask in my cellar. 4%, light and bright, crystal clear and hoppy as fuck? :)

I have never seen this thread before, and it excites me! I am a publican in the UK, and beer is my passion. Bare in mind I'm an Englishman, and real ale is my bag. I am currently drunk off my ass on this:

g9G4O.jpg

Langham Hip Hop, brewed out of Lodsworth, a local brewery. Actually not bottled, but out of my immaculately kept 9g cask in my cellar. 4%, light and bright, crystal clear and hoppy as fuck? :)

I just saw a documentary on "beertickers". Have you heard of this UK hobby and what do you think of it? It seems to me like they basically sucked all the fun out of drinking beer and turned it into a job.

But on the plus side, it revealed to me the downright insane amount of cask ale available in the UK. I am so jealous.

As for me, tonight I drank my last Sam Adams Holiday Porter and then went to the local store and got the following: A bomber of Sierra Nevada Wet Hop 2011, a DFH Burton Baton 12oz bottle, and a Ten Fidy can which I drank tonight. It was delicious as always.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I just saw a documentary on "beertickers". Have you heard of this hobby and what do you think of it? It seems to me like they basically sucked all the fun out of drinking beer and turned it into a job.

But on the plus side, it revealed to me the downright insane amount of cask ale available in the UK. I am so jealous.

As for me, tonight I drank my last Sam Adams Holiday Porter and then went to the local store and got the following: A bomber of Sierra Nevada Wet Hop 2011, a DFH Burton Baton 12oz bottle, and a Ten Fidy can which I drank tonight. It was delicious as always.

Tickers are pretty common in the American craft beer scene too.

Tickers are pretty common in the American craft beer scene too.

Are they? I've seen plenty of people taking notes on beer and tasting it here in the US, but the way this documentary painted the tickers it's almost as if they don't care what beer they drink as long as they haven't had it before. I they find one they love, they don't go back to it because it's already been ticked. of course they did only show the crazy tickers that have had (supposedly) tens of thousands of beers. I've never seen that in the US.

I just saw a documentary on "beertickers". Have you heard of this UK hobby and what do you think of it? It seems to me like they basically sucked all the fun out of drinking beer and turned it into a job. .

To each their own. If that is what they do for fun ignore them and focus on enjoying beer they way YOU want to. :)

Top Bottom