• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Critics of Japanese beer, you are mostly correct. 99% of our beer sucks.

However...

2444898261_bbc2a9285f.jpg

Yebisu Black beer is really good, along with...

&

Suntory Premium Malts Black

Everything else is fairly disappointing to the western tongue.

Baird (Suruga Bay Imperial IPA), Kiuchi (Hitachino Commemorative Ale, Classic Ale) and Yo-Ho Brewing (Aooni IPA) are all great Japanese brewers. And they're available in the states.

Jos

OK this is all sorts of Bad Ass haha
BavgJ.jpg

That was for a Weta Workshop themed night last year. We did the same for their Xmas party as well. Turns out that two corney kegs fit perfectly into a scuba tank belt. The only trick is making sure each keg gets drained evenly!

Damned impressive! Planning on making something with some New Zealand Hops shortly

Nice - we went down to Motueka for the hop harvest last year. The smell in the barn where they kiln the hops was incredible. The new season harvest isn't too far away actually..

tumblr_lmgq8cV14E1qiqr26.jpg

Chopper

I just saw a documentary on "beertickers". Have you heard of this UK hobby and what do you think of it? It seems to me like they basically sucked all the fun out of drinking beer and turned it into a job.

But on the plus side, it revealed to me the downright insane amount of cask ale available in the UK. I am so jealous.

As for me, tonight I drank my last Sam Adams Holiday Porter and then went to the local store and got the following: A bomber of Sierra Nevada Wet Hop 2011, a DFH Burton Baton 12oz bottle, and a Ten Fidy can which I drank tonight. It was delicious as always.

Beerticking is fun, if beer is something you are passionate about. Personally, there is little I enjoy more than sampling beer I have never tried before from the huuuuuge number of breweries here in Sussex. Documenting every beer you try is pretty hardore, but just the sort of behaviour you'd expect from your average CAMRA member, of which I am also a member.

Just had two 9s delivered. Hammerpot's Red Hunter, and their Pale Ale. Can't wait to try them. Gotta rack 'em up for a few hours first though. :(

image_thumb.png

Being distributed through Sierra Nevada's accounts, so those of you who typically have zero access to Russian River will get it. Should be out in July.

426321_3186218615529_1267691058_33322843_1009613604_n.jpg

Citra Hop Pale Ale is bottled. Handing it out when my daughter is born late next month! 24 12 oz. bottles to hand out and 11 bombers to enjoy with my close friends.

Tried this last night. Got it from Trader Joe's for $1.99, could not finish.... so skanky! just a *WARNING*

There are some recent reviews on BA, seems like people bought it on a whim due to the $2 price tag. Apparently the chocolate stout isn't bad... but still not very good.

AcridMeat

Banned
Tonight's drink.
k0vo5l.jpg

It's actually nice. Sweeter than I was expecting, though I didn't know what to expect.

May switch back to Henninger after.

Malvolio

Jesus that's a big haul. You guys didn't drink the whole Utopias in one night did you? That's the kind of thing I would save and drink only a little bit on very important days.

We probably drank a bit over half of it. We had six people over and that was actually a duplicate 2005 bottle that one guy owned. It was so good and not just the novelty that I had always pictured it to be. Equally impressive to me was the 1994 Sam Adams Triple Bock. The beer was actually made before I was even old enough to drink.

Equally impressive to me was the 1994 Sam Adams Triple Bock. The beer was actually made before I was even old enough to drink.
i finally got around to my bottle of '94 triple bock last year. to say it was disappointing would be an understatement - it was one of the worst beers i've ever had.

Malvolio

i finally got around to my bottle of '94 triple bock last year. to say it was disappointing would be an understatement - it was one of the worst beers i've ever had.

I've read a lot of reviews that agree with you so I was a bit worried about it, but to me it was pretty tasty. Not sure if there is a quality issue with some of the bottling or something but I can't imagine anyone saying that about what I tasted yesterday. It's not something I would go out of my way to get again, but as a taste of where the idea for Utopias was born I thought it was pretty successful.

Picked up a Widmer 4-pack of bombers at Costco today. 2 bombers of Nelson Imperial IPA and 2 bombers of Pitch Black IPA. I rarely, if ever, buy Widmer, but I couldn't pass it up for $10. $2.50 a bomber!

fenners

Picked up a Widmer 4-pack of bombers at Costco today. 2 bombers of Nelson Imperial IPA and 2 bombers of Pitch Black IPA. I rarely, if ever, buy Widmer, but I couldn't pass it up for $10. $2.50 a bomber!

I'd ignored Widmer before I picked up that bomber pack... I really enjoyed 'em.

I'd ignored Widmer before I picked up that bomber pack... I really enjoyed 'em.

Being from the PNW I've got this unconscious rule where I ignore Pike, Red Hook, Pyramid and Widmer and never give them the time of day. No real reason other than they're the old kids on the block.

thatbox

Banned
My pub had SN Ruthless Rye IPA on tap last week. I didn't get any rye from it, but it was a really enjoyable IPA if you like the SN taste.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Still got four of these fuckers left:

12068.jpg

Great beer, but it wasn't worth 2 hours in line for 6 bombers.

dubc35

Tried this last night. Got it from Trader Joe's for $1.99, could not finish.... so skanky! just a *WARNING*
Trader Joe's refuses to store their beer cold thus I refuse to buy beer from them.

Enjoying a Hale's Supergoose now. Not as good as I remembered but still tasty.

I'm heading up to the Diamond Knot brewery this weekend for some beers and lunch. I've only had their IPA so I might check out their other brews.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Trader Joe's refuses to store their beer cold thus I refuse to buy beer from them.

Enjoying a Hale's Supergoose now. Not as good as I remembered but still tasty.

I'm heading up to the Diamond Knot brewery this weekend for some beers and lunch. I've only had their IPA so I might check out their other brews.

For the most part nothing actually happens if a beer is not stored cold.

Angry Grimace

Yup. I cellar a lot of my stuff around 50-55.

Moreover, most grocery stores that carry fresh produce like Trader Joe's keep the ambient temperature at a significantly cooler temperature than say, your house.

Angry Grimace

There's also no benefit to drinking beer in frosty cold glasses. The extreme cold actually mutes a lot of the flavors in the beer.
The biggest reason that I can tell why this occurs is because the frostiness on the glass is just causes condensation when the beer hits the glass and puts water into the beer.

Except oxidation at a substantially higher rate. As well as bacterial and wild yeast activity if the beer isn't perfectly clean.
From what I've been told, this is rarely going to become a problem until well after the best by date on the beer. Besides, I have yet to see a bottle shop selling only chilled beer.

My local beer bar

IMAG0031.jpg

Having a Breakfast Stout now

IMAG0031.jpg

Also, refusing to purchase a beer that isn't stored refrigerated? Do you really want to miss out on all the beers you're going to because of a superstition? Really not worth it dude

dubc35

Also, refusing to purchase a beer that isn't stored refrigerated? Do you really want to miss out on all the beers you're going to because of a superstition? Really not worth it dude

The last couple times I've bought beer at TJ's it's been skunk. I can't think of any other places that store their beer at room temperature. It may not be the temperature but it's been bad in the past so no more in the future. I've worked in beer and liquor distributors before. I know most have them sit in the warehouse at ambient temperatures. Some put them in refer's but not all.

Nice looking local pub there!

Angry Grimace

The last couple times I've bought beer at TJ's it's been skunk. I can't think of any other places that store their beer at room temperature. It may not be the temperature but it's been bad in the past so no more in the future. I've worked in beer and liquor distributors before. I know most have them sit in the warehouse at ambient temperatures. Some put them in refer's but not all.

Nice looking local pub there!

Skunkiness is not caused by temperature, it's caused by light reacting with hop oils. Age tends to cause oxidation (which is a different off flavor often described as cardboard) and a reduction in the hop flavors, but this tends to be less so in higher alcohol beers, which is why those beers are often cellared.

Insanely cold beer is the best way to get hammered quick, duh.

As usual, Americuh is superior to Yurop.

People drink beer to get drunk? Then what is liquor for?

And yeah, as noted above, storing temp has nothing to do with skunk. Roommate and I store beer in kegs at room temp for months on end with no adverse effects. Tons of great beers are stored at room temp.

thatbox

Banned
My friend and I have started homebrewing, and I'm trying to convince him to keg some of our latest batch since bottling is a pain in the ass. He says that kegs only last a couple of weeks before going bad. Do you guys find this to be true? We have a dedicated fridge that's big enough to keep the keg in, if we go that route.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
My friend and I have started homebrewing, and I'm trying to convince him to keg some of our latest batch since bottling is a pain in the ass. He says that kegs only last a couple of weeks before going bad. Do you guys find this to be true? We have a dedicated fridge that's big enough to keep the keg in, if we go that route.

If served with CO2, kegs last just as long (if not longer) as bottles.

Top Bottom