• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This. Do a Google search dude. Your friend is just flat out wrong. My buddy has had a RIS kegged since June. I can't even imagine what the argument would be that they go bad quickly in kegs

Because most people who have home kegs just use picnic taps on them which causes them to quickly lose pressure and oxidize.

You also will think it's bad if you don't clean the line it comes from every once in a while and realize the beer that comes out of it at first is just the stale old beer that's stuck in the line from the last time you used it.

Well anyone that is brewing should know that the first and most important rule is to clean and sanitize anything and everything that touches the beer. And this may be anecdotal but I never had a problem with oxidation or loss of pressure with my picnic tap. Replace the O lines and never had any issues

game

Banned
Trader Joes has Simple Times (6.2% alcohol) and some other beer @ $2.99 for a 6-pack.

Don't think a better beer could beat that.

Anyone have any yeast suggestions for cider? Made one with champagne yeast and it ended up way too dry. I'm thinking of just using American Ale yeast

Askani

It's not been a very good beer week so far.

I go to a bar downtown with my friends every Monday. This week, there was a WWE show about a block away, so EVERYWHERE downtown was packed. On top of that, the place was taping a keg of Bell's Hophead Slam. There were a lot of extra people for that, so the place was double packed. We waited for 40 minutes to try to get a table and just ended up leaving. So I just end up standing talking to a friends all that time and I couldn't even try the new beer. The place we ended up going was really expensive and my tab was double what I would have drank normally and it was the same beer I always drink.

Now, Boulevard just released their Chocolate Ale. It just hit shelves yesterday here. They made two and 1/2 times the amount they made last year. Still not enough. I didn't have anything else to do last night, so I stopped at 12 liquor/grocery stores on the way home. No dice. It's pretty ridiculous actually. It may very well be the worst beer in the world (which I doubt), but at this point it's a mission to try it. I'm going to call around today and see if anyplace has it on tap.

It's not been a very good beer week so far.

I go to a bar downtown with my friends every Monday. This week, there was a WWE show about a block away, so EVERYWHERE downtown was packed. On top of that, the place was taping a keg of Bell's Hophead Slam. There were a lot of extra people for that, so the place was double packed. We waited for 40 minutes to try to get a table and just ended up leaving. So I just end up standing talking to a friends all that time and I couldn't even try the new beer. The place we ended up going was really expensive and my tab was double what I would have drank normally and it was the same beer I always drink.

Now, Boulevard just released their Chocolate Ale. It just hit shelves yesterday here. They made two and 1/2 times the amount they made last year. Still not enough. I didn't have anything else to do last night, so I stopped at 12 liquor/grocery stores on the way home. No dice. It's pretty ridiculous actually. It may very well be the worst beer in the world (which I doubt), but at this point it's a mission to try it. I'm going to call around today and see if anyplace has it on tap.

It's a dessert beer and really sweet. High Alcohol too. Worth a try but I wouldn't get it again, but then, I'm not huhe on dessert beers

61 degrees in Seattle! I stopped at 99 Bottles on the way home and got a growler of Double Mountain's Gravitar IPA for Super Bowl Sunday. Still have a bottle of Pliny that Ill enjoy later today.

Kerub

Banned
I have a couple Maredsous in the fridge.

299633.JPG

Has anybody tried them? Opinions?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Howtobrew.com has the entire first edition (plus some updates). Reading that is a mandatory first step.

Brewing isn't difficult, but you will mess up. That is ok, because you will have blinders on because it is so awesome to brew your own beer that you will overlook the flaws that it will have at first.

I don't even think of my homebrew as the same thing as professionally made beer. You can't compare them or you'll never be happy.

Of the first six beers I've made, only one was a horrendous disaster. Great learning experience.

Sleepy

Probably not what you guys want to hear/talk about...

But what is the best "cheap" beer?

Best cheap beer for me is Icehouse, which just confirms what Bendetta thinks. 4.79 a six pack.

Just tried Cigar City's Tocobaga Red. Tastes like an IPA Amber. I still think Bell's has the best amber, but I have just gotten into them so I am no expert.

best cheap beer for me is Grain Belt Premium

right now I'm enjoying a Hopslam alongside some Taco Bell. truly the epitome of the college beer enthusiast lifestyle

this beer is so fucking good

I just bought a six pack of George Killian's Irish Red. They just started stocking it at my local Target and I remembered some people discussing it in this thread. It's pretty garbage in my opinion, I'm really regretting the decision. Tastes a lot like Coors/ Bud to me, just cheap watery beer. It was cheap, and I actually think I slightly prefer it to the popular American beers, but I could have got a six pack of Fat Tire for $1.50 more.

To the poster who insinuated that he enjoyed this stuff more than Guiness about ten pages back, you're insane.

thespot84

I just bought a six pack of George Killian's Irish Red. They just started stocking it at my local Target and I remembered some people discussing it in this thread. It's pretty garbage in my opinion, I'm really regretting the decision. Tastes a lot like Coors/ Bud to me, just cheap watery beer. It was cheap, and I actually think I slightly prefer it to the popular American beers, but I could have got a six pack of Fat Tire for $1.50 more.

To the poster who insinuated that he enjoyed this stuff more than Guiness about ten pages back, you're insane.

It tastes like Coors because it's made by Coors.

dr3- I will not pay 6.99 for fucking Killians. They are out of their fucking mind.

It was actually only $5.50, so while it's not good by any means, if I was ever on a really, really tight budget I guess it's pretty good for the price.

It tastes like Coors because it's made by Coors.

yeah killian's is basically coors with some extra amber malt thrown in

Haha, well, that explains that then.

I shouldn't waste the money, but I'm sort of tempted to go grab another six pack of something better. I bought the beer to take to a party tonight and I'm kind of bummed I'm stuck with this now.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I don't even think of my homebrew as the same thing as professionally made beer. You can't compare them or you'll never be happy.

Of the first six beers I've made, only one was a horrendous disaster. Great learning experience.
As a pro Brewer, they definitely can and should be compared. Some of the best beers I have ever had have been homebrew, either mine or friends.

fenners

What's a "pro Brewer"? You brew for a beer company?
Can you point me to a good website for starting homebrew?

Read the "How To Brew" book/site that's already been linked. It's my "bible" & is very well regarded. Got me going & I'm still referring/learning from it a year later. Basic brewing, whether extract or partial mash, is *easy* to do badly & still get drinkable beer out of it. If you can boil water & wash up dishes, you can brew beer of some sort. It's seriously that easy.

My go-to discussion site is homebrewtalk.com. Lots of great experienced brewers there willing to give advice.

And it's worth searching for a homebrew store in your area... I'm spoiled in that my local homebrew store is Austin Homebrew Supply, one of the best in the country, but even a small local one should be happy to talk over things & give you ideas, as well as sell you gear ;) AHS is fantastic & I rarely buy gear from anywhere else as they're *always* helpful & go above and beyond for the brew community here in Austin.

fenners

Oh & if I can brew, anyone can brew ;) I got into the hobby early last year & love it to bits. I'm far from an expert & still doing partial mashes, but every brewday I learn a little more. Next up is better fermentation control & eventually all-grain this year.

if you're a starting homebrewer, brew a partial mash oatmeal stout, using at least two types of extract and several different grains and a decent but not overpowering amount of bittering hops. they i find is in the variety though. some people brew stouts and porters thinking they're gold if they just throw in some roast barley, but you need to round that out.

pretty dang hard to screw up and you'll likely feel damn good about it

Porters and stouts are great first time beers. We stated with a golden ale that took on some really nice champagne/wild ale qualities. I'd love to recreate it if we can.

As a pro Brewer, they definitely can and should be compared. Some of the best beers I have ever had have been homebrew, either mine or friends.

I'm still a youngin' to brewing, so I have to keep reminding my friends that things aren't going to go perfect the first few times. Once we've got 10-15 batches under our belts, then we can start comparing.

I'm still a youngin' to brewing, so I have to keep reminding my friends that things aren't going to go perfect the first few times. Once we've got 10-15 batches under our belts, then we can start comparing.

Personally think that's a self-defeating mentality. Start comparing right now, and if the results are disappointing then instead of getting discouraged, figure out what's not quite right about your beer and how to fix it. Improvement comes from harsh self-critique, not from an arbitrary number of batches you've brewed.

Sorry for that. Just trying to be helpful.

Personally think that's a self-defeating mentality. Start comparing right now, and if the results are disappointing then instead of getting discouraged, figure out what's not quite right about your beer and how to fix it. Improvement comes from harsh self-critique, not from an arbitrary number of batches you've brewed.

Sorry for that. Just trying to be helpful.

I'm all about critiquing and improving on things, no discouragement on my end. Our IPA was a complete disaster and definitely needs improvement, can only go up from there. I've just got one buddy who expects us to be making world class beer right from the get-go which is pretty unrealistic.

I had these two beer with my dinner tonight

dogfish-head-olde-school.jpg

victory%20hop%20devil%20ale.jpg

I've been pretty impressed by Victory, they make really good beer and their IPA does not dissapoint. I drink dogfish head to mostly support local brewerys. The Olde School is a barley wine, which is something I rarely drink, and pretty hard to find, but it was pretty good as well, sweet like an IPA but lacking the hoppiness.

I recommend both beers.

bob page

I picked up some of this last night- was just bottle this Tuesday and it's sold out pretty much everywhere so far:

Akw95LXCQAIjpK1.jpg:large

Good stuff. Definitely very hoppy but the flavor isn't excessive.

Tunic

Just ran to the store and got some Sierra Nevada Celebration for Super Bowl Sunday! Probably some of the last bottles in the area, I have been seeing the new spring seasonal around, Ruthless IPA. I also picked up some bombers of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout to enjoy tonight. Next purchase will be a case of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot!

Top Bottom