• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

I'm drinking their Belgian IPA tonight for the first time. Really enjoying it.

Have not been able to get into this style. I don't know why. Just don't think the Belgian yeast flavors complement the bitterness of IPAs. Hope this doesn't become the new fad style (though I'm not voting for Black IPAs either, which also seem to be enjoying increased proliferation.)

Tried Bud Light Platinum tonight. I'm sure you can predict my reaction.

I also want to second that Homebrew has been some of the best beer I've had. It probably is unfair to compare at the beginner level.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I'm all about critiquing and improving on things, no discouragement on my end. Our IPA was a complete disaster and definitely needs improvement, can only go up from there. I've just got one buddy who expects us to be making world class beer right from the get-go which is pretty unrealistic.

I burnt my first batch of IPA. Burnt the shit out of the extract because i didn't shut the burner off when I added it. I still drank it though. I had low standards when I first started brewing.

Just ran to the store and got some Sierra Nevada Celebration for Super Bowl Sunday! Probably some of the last bottles in the area, I have been seeing the new spring seasonal around, Ruthless IPA. I also picked up some bombers of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout to enjoy tonight. Next purchase will be a case of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot!

I loooooooove Foreign Extra Stout. Such a tasty style. Practically no residual sweetness and really no acrid bitterness from the roasted barley

I burnt my first batch of IPA. Burnt the shit out of the extract because i didn't shut the burner off when I added it. I still drank it though. I had low standards when I first started brewing.

Yeah for those of you guys just beginning this is a common error to be aware of with extract. Though an easy work around is to use exclusively DME. I don't think there is any negative to substituting, do you?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Yeah for those of you guys just beginning this is a common error to be aware of with extract. Though an easy work around is to use exclusively DME. I don't think there is any negative to substituting, do you?

The only negative is less variety in the kinds of dme. Dme stays fresher longer. Fresh extract is one of the more important things to have when extract brewing. Full wort boils is pretty damn good for better beer as well. If I was just starting and didnt want to invest in an 8+ gal pot plus burner and wort chiller, I wouldnt do partial boils, I would do smaller batches. Full wort boils are critical to great beer.

Fermentation temperature control, pitching the proper amount of yeast, proper sanitation and full wort boils. Get those four in hand and you will make great beer.

fenners

The only negative is less variety in the kinds of dme. Dme stays fresher longer. Fresh extract is one of the more important things to have when extract brewing. Full wort boils is pretty damn good for better beer as well. If I was just starting and didnt want to invest in an 8+ gal pot plus burner and wort chiller, I wouldnt do partial boils, I would do smaller batches. Full wort boils are critical to great beer.

Fermentation temperature control, pitching the proper amount of yeast, proper sanitation and full wort boils. Get those four in hand and you will make great beer.

Ok, I got to ask as a relative noob. Full wort boils? Are you meaning boiling enough to not need top ups to 5 gallons in the primary?

I'm still doing partial mashes & with my AHS recipes, I'm typically using about a little over 3 gallons for my 60 minute boil, with about 2 and a half left after boil off. Once I top it off in the primary to about 5 gallons, I hit my target OG 99% of the time, but I hadn't given any consideration of topping up ahead of the boil. I have a pot big enough for it (thanks to a birthday present from a bud who has been brewing for a decade) but was going to just use that when I go all-grain.

Mmmm.

By the end of my extract phase I was definitely pushing the limits of my brewpot. I would add using liquid yeast over dry as well. I definitely made some tasty stuff with partial boils (even if they weren't necessarily to BJCP standards)

fenners

I've always used liquid yeast + LME as that's what AHS pushes in store - they give the options & double check every time I build a recipe but I'm happy to buy the most fresh ingredients I can.

I do have some DME there double bagged in ziplocks for my starters though ;)

I've always used liquid yeast + LME as that's what AHS pushes in store - they give the options & double check every time I build a recipe but I'm happy to buy the most fresh ingredients I can.

I do have some DME there double bagged in ziplocks for my starters though ;)

You're already ahead of the game if you're making starters. It's not that much of an issue unless you're concerned about burning

UrokeJoe

Anyone up for a Russian River brewing trip the week after this one coming> ?

It's not a sure thing but I really want to go..

My neighborhood bar is getting Pliny the Younger.

Right around the time my daughter is born.

As long as we're home, my wife has said it's fine if I walk over and get a pint.

godnorazi

Banned
i grabbed a 4-pack of "Golden Draak" (only four 11.2oz bottles for $16!) because the packaging looked so cool (looked like something you would find in Skyrim lol)... i am sipping on my first bottle right now and am finding it extremely difficult (too strong of an alcohol taste)... i am not worthy

i grabbed a 4-pack of "Golden Draak" (only four 11.2oz bottles for $16!) because the packaging looked so cool (looked like something you would find in Skyrim lol)... i am sipping on my first bottle right now and am finding it extremely difficult (too strong of an alcohol taste)... i am not worthy

It's a great beer, probably just beyond you're palate. Save a bottle and try every beer you can then try it again in a few months. You will be suprised at the difference

AcridMeat

Banned
I had some Pilsner Urquell and Big Daddy IPA from Speakeasy for the Super Bowl. Hadn't had Big Daddy before, not a bad IPA, still prefer something like Racer 5 though.

Heads up Seattle beer lovers!

Big Time Brewery said:
Big Time Brewery Special Beer Release: Whiny the Complainer
The Big Time Brewing Company is pleased to announce the release of Whiny the Complainer on February 7th, 2012 when the doors open at 11:30 am. Brewed on 12/28/2011, Whiny is a delicious triple India Pale Ale that features an abundant amount of bitterness, hop flavor and aroma from over 3 lbs of hops per barrel. Hops include, Cascade; Centennial, Chinook; Columbus; Magnum; Amarillo; and Simcoe. It was dry hopped with Nelson Sauvin hops from New Zealand. Original gravity 1.089; Terminal gravity 1.020; 9.1% ABV

I'm going to try and stop in tonight for a pint. Love the name.

Tunic

Heads up Seattle beer lovers!

I'm going to try and stop in tonight for a pint. Love the name.

I enjoy Big Time Brewery when I am able to go over there. I love Old Wooly and Bhagwans! It's been awhile since I have been up that way. It is just a pain driving up to Seattle...

I enjoy Big Time Brewery when I am able to go over there. I love Old Wooly and Bhagwans! It's been awhile since I have been up that way. It is just a pain driving up to Seattle...

It's just about a mile to Big Time from my house. With the weather the way it is, will be a nice walk.

6837523023_83ea8bddd0.jpg

Haven't been yet, that's from Seattle Beer Blog. I doubt they're doing growler fills. They don't do them for special stuff like Cereal Killer or Old Wooly. Heading over soon.

bob page

Any recommendations for gluten-free beer? I might have a medical condition that will force me to get rid of gluten and ditching beer is going to be mighty hard for me.

Any recommendations for gluten-free beer? I might have a medical condition that will force me to get rid of gluten and ditching beer is going to be mighty hard for me.

From my gluten-free friends, most of them are total crap. Dogfish Head is working on a gluten-free beer, though.

Tunic

Green's Brewing makes some drinkable gluten-free beers. They are readily available here in the Seattle area. They are actually a Belgian brewery and they make gluten-free Belgian ales.

ChanHuk

Banned

No, just drink uh potato vodka, cognac, or rum. Gluten-free beer is horrible, I wish it upon nobody.

That looks delicious! How was it? Are they doing growler fills?

Had myself a snifter of it. They were down to half a pitcher of it left. Good timing on my part! No growler fills.

Whiny the Complainer smells like hops. Hops hops hops and more hops. Oh delicious hops. The taste kind of reminded me a of a pleasant version of 120 Min. without the offensive rubbing alcohol and paint thinner notes.

thespot84

new planet pale (not the other ones) is the only even slightly drinkable GF beer i've come across. Most GF beer is made from sorgum, and tastes so weird because they have to mask the natural flavor, which is basically bubblegum

thatbox

Banned
My friend and I bottled our first IPA last night. It tasted delicious uncarbonated out of the siphon and I can't wait to try it in two weeks!

I'm very interested in these Belgian IPAs you guys were talking about, though. Can you recommend any to try that have decent US availability?

My friend and I bottled our first IPA last night. It tasted delicious uncarbonated out of the siphon and I can't wait to try it in two weeks!

I'm very interested in these Belgian IPAs you guys were talking about, though. Can you recommend any to try that have decent US availability?

New Belgium -- Belgo IPA
Stone -- Cali-Belgique IPA

Both are really common Belgian-style IPAs. I had a real Belgian IPA called Hopus in Bruges. Was ok, I'm sure it gets distributed in the states. If you have access to Green Flash, their Le Freak is fantastic. Deschutes and Boulevard did a collaboration "White IPA" over the summer that was really nice, but it's probably hard to find now.

Askani

My friend's GF has Gluten problems. In fact, I think the majority of her family does. She drinks Bard's mostly. I don't know if that's just because it's the most accessible to her or if she likes it the best. If I see her sometime soon I'll ask what her and/or her family's favorites are.

Word just came from our local beer markets that Hopslam is hitting Tallahassee tomorrow. WOOOO! I've never had it out of a bottle before. Last year a local beer bar got a cask of it and it was fucking delicious. The kind of thing that makes you think maybe there is a god. This year the best I can get is on draught.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Word just came from our local beer markets that Hopslam is hitting Tallahassee tomorrow. WOOOO! I've never had it out of a bottle before. Last year a local beer bar got a cask of it and it was fucking delicious. The kind of thing that makes you think maybe there is a god. This year the best I can get is on draught.

Is Leon Pub still a good spot for craft beer? That place introduced me to good beer, along with Market Square Liquors.

Is Leon Pub still a good spot for craft beer? That place introduced me to good beer, along with Market Square Liquors.

Not anymore. Well, I suppose they still have a large tap selection but over the last few years two much better places have opened. But Leon Pub did introduce me to good beer as well. Market Sq Liquor still has a great selection but they are way far away from my side of town so I don't go there often.

There's Proof which is on Tennessee St and always has awesome taps plus a liquor store right next door with an insane selection. They are in the process of opening a full scale microbrewery in their basement right now so we will FINALLY have local beer in Tallahassee.

There's also Fermentation Lounge which is right near the capitol. They only have about 8 taps but they do a good job diversifying them and they also have "hausbrews" which are basically just homebrews they do on their own in small batches (like 5 gallons). They also have a market next door with a good selection.

By the way, are there any gaffers on Untappd? If so, send me a friend request. Here's my profile page: http://untappd.com/user/StrikerObi

Top Bottom