• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

I still have yet to have anything by Russian River, and i'm getting more and more annoyed by this as the weeks and months go by. Hopefully soon.

I suppose this is beer related, so I'll post it here! I start my new job with Troegs next week, and I am fucking PSYCHED. So excited to finally have a job I can be excited about.

Tunic

Also for the Seattleites on here which seem to be quite a few, the 2nd Annual WA State Open House for Breweries takes place this Saturday, Feb. 25th:

http://www.washingtonbeer.com/washington-beer-open-house-more-details/

Some breweries will offer special releases others will do barrel tastings. Some will provide food/beer pairings, others will offer vertical tastings of beers from the cellar. It’s up to each brewery to decide what Open House means. I will definitely be out and about to check out some of the places, Diamond Knot for instance.

Schooner Exact will be showing off their sours. Also, Fremont still has some Bourbon Abominable at the brewery for $15 a bomber. It's reaallly good.

Tunic

Schooner Exact will be showing off their sours. Also, Fremont still has some Bourbon Abominable at the brewery for $15 a bomber. It's reaallly good.

I noticed you were enjoying the Bourbon Abominable a few days back and I have really wanted to try that! Maybe I will swing over to Fremont also.

usea

Abita Strawberry Harvest Lager hits shelves Monday according to their twitter. If you've never tried it, don't pass it by just because it's a fruit beer. It's amazing. Maybe I'm biased because I live in southeast Louisiana.

Greetings from the Schlafly Bottleworks on this fine Sunday morning, Beer-Gaf!

IMAG0035.jpg

Dark Chocolate Orange Stout is as good as it sounds

I still have yet to have anything by Russian River, and i'm getting more and more annoyed by this as the weeks and months go by. Hopefully soon.

I suppose this is beer related, so I'll post it here! I start my new job with Troegs next week, and I am fucking PSYCHED. So excited to finally have a job I can be excited about.

Damn, that is awesome. I hit Troegs once or twice a week. We gotta have a pint sometime.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

What job?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Louis_Brewery

The Saint Louis Brewery, Inc, better known by their brand Schlafly, is the largest Saint Louis Owned Brewery in Saint Louis. They include a brewpub called the Tap Room in Downtown STL, and a bottling facility called the Bottleworks in Maplewood, a suburb of STL. This was at the Bottleworks, where they also do free tours

There is one brewery larger than Schlafly in STL, but they are no longer locally owned. Name seems to be slipping my mind at the moment...

Pics of both incoming as soon as they upload

AB tour and museum, took a lot of pictures here so I'll try to be selective

IMAG0044.jpg

IMAG0045.jpg

IMAG0047.jpg

IMAG0048.jpg

IMAG0049.jpg

IMAG0050.jpg

IMAG0060.jpg

IMAG0062.jpg

IMAG0061.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

IMAG0069.jpg

IMAG0071.jpg

IMAG0083.jpg

IMAG0085.jpg

IMAG0065.jpg

Could not get a good angle of this tank, it holds the equivalent of 200,000 six packs

IMAG0076.jpg

IMAG0077.jpg

IMAG0090.jpg

Their bottling line bottles 150 beers a minute. They brew Schlafly's yearly capacity in 3 hours. It was a damn impressive operation, even if they are assholes

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Definitely looking to be a brewer one day, been looking into classes with siegel for a goo while now, just been struggling with how to pay for it. This is just the beginning.

Siebel and similar classes just dont make sense to me because of how expensive they are and how much brewers make.

A job in a production facility like Troegs is a good foot in the door, but it can take a good bit of time to slowly work your way up the ladder. It may be a year+ before you even touch any brewing equipment.

I would recommend looking for a part time gig at a local brewpub to compliment your job at Troegs. Brewpubs are good because it is usually the head brewer and maybe one to three assistants, meaning you will get your hands dirty with every aspect of brewing fairly quickly. A career path starting in a brewpub can be quite a bit quicker to an actual brewer's position than one in a production facility. Having the job at Troegs should help you with getting an assistant job at a brewpub as well.

I was supremely lucky with my career path, starting in a handful of brewpubs in the beginning of 08 and getting the head position in another brewpub by that fall, which led into a lead position at a new production brewery that opened up in May of last year. But even taking into consideration my luck, i think that brewpubs make far more sense as a starting off point for a brewing career than production facilities. Their teams are often so big that it can be hard to get your opportunity.

I certainly wouldn't give up your current job, as any job in a brewery is a huge victory for someone trying to be a brewer, but I would look to suppliment it with an assistant job at a brewpub as well.

IMAG0035.jpg

Tried their Coffee stout for the first time a few weeks ago. Not bad. I'll have to check into more Schafly offerings in the future. Got me some Sierra Nevada Torpedos in the fridge, thinking I like the Kellerweis more overall, it's a lot easier to drink.

Siebel and similar classes just dont make sense to me because of how expensive they are and how much brewers make.

A job in a production facility like Troegs is a good foot in the door, but it can take a good bit of time to slowly work your way up the ladder. It may be a year+ before you even touch any brewing equipment.

I would recommend looking for a part time gig at a local brewpub to compliment your job at Troegs. Brewpubs are good because it is usually the head brewer and maybe one to three assistants, meaning you will get your hands dirty with every aspect of brewing fairly quickly. A career path starting in a brewpub can be quite a bit quicker to an actual brewer's position than one in a production facility. Having the job at Troegs should help you with getting an assistant job at a brewpub as well.

I was supremely lucky with my career path, starting in a handful of brewpubs in the beginning of 08 and getting the head position in another brewpub by that fall, which led into a lead position at a new production brewery that opened up in May of last year. But even taking into consideration my luck, i think that brewpubs make far more sense as a starting off point for a brewing career than production facilities. Their teams are often so big that it can be hard to get your opportunity.

I certainly wouldn't give up your current job, as any job in a brewery is a huge victory for someone trying to be a brewer, but I would look to suppliment it with an assistant job at a brewpub as well.

Very, very good info here, and thank you for the insight. Also, god damn did I make some bad typos in that post. Went back and made some changes.

I've been working on getting into Troegs for well over a year now and yes, I consider it a huge victory to even get in. I know jumping into brewing from here is a stretch without some form of education/experience so I'm glad to get any info I can on how to work my way up. I have homebrewing experience but tons of people could sell themselves with that.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Very, very good info here, and thank you for the insight. Also, god damn did I make some bad typos in that post. Went back and made some changes.

I've been working on getting into Troegs for well over a year now and yes, I consider it a huge victory to even get in. I know jumping into brewing from here is a stretch without some form of education/experience so I'm glad to get any info I can on how to work my way up. I have homebrewing experience but tons of people could sell themselves with that.

Jumping into brewing, if you are smart, good with your hands, have good brewing sense and work well with a team is not a stretch from where you are now, it just takes some time. If you kick ass and the Troegs guys like you, it may still be a year+ before you get a shot in the cellar or as a shift brewer. But that year is not wasted at all, it can be great experience if you are eager enough to learn as much as you can. I am missing pretty big gaps in my experience because i never worked as an underling in a large production facility. My proficiency with a filter is quite low, my qa/qc experience is fairly paltry, and my abilities in engineering and maintenance is fairly poor. People taking the slower route will be able to learn a lot of the stuff I wasnt able to learn in the brewpub world.

Troegs may even have some sort of scholarship program to send you through one of the school programs. But there is absolutely nothing you will get out of one of the schools that you couldnt get out of doing a lot of reading and through work experience. Real brewery experience is everything in this business.

tuco11

Wow! Ballast Point Victory at Sea Imperial Coffee Vanilla Porter is really good stuff. Waiting on some 3floyds Zombie Dust via Ebay.

thatbox

Banned
I was not a big fan of strawberry harvest

I live in NOLA and I don't drink it. All I get out of it is generic Abita taste and strawberry syrup (even though they supposedly use Ponchatoula strawberry puree or whatever). I definitely wouldn't want someone to try it as their first Abita beer, in fear that they might write off the whole brewery.

forrest

formerly nacire

IMAG0035.jpg

Been to Bottleworks and Taproom. My good friend is the Schlafly rep for Indiana, Tennessee, Kentucky, etc. He brings my wife and I to the Hop in the City festival every year! Love Schlafly in general, but their American IPA which you can only get around late summer is one of my favorite IPA's across the board.

Been to Bottleworks and Taproom. My good friend is the Schlafly rep for Indiana, Tennessee, Kentucky, etc. He brings my wife and I to the Hop in the City festival every year! Love Schlafly in general, but their American IPA which you can only get around late summer is one of my favorite IPA's across the board.

I love it too. They claim it is very popular amongst their regulars, second only to their pumpkin. I've never been to Hop in the City, but I enjoyed Repeal of Prohibition last year as well as their various seafood festivals

I had Naked City Brewing's Sudden Impact Coffee IPA at their taproom in Seattle the other week. I was amazed at how it still retains the qualities (light, hoppy) of an IPA. Definitely not a CDA. Really nice.

Dear Beer GAF and Philly-GAF:

Pliny the Younger is coming to Philadelphia

Philadelphia is the only East Coast city to take delivery of it from Russian River brewing.

For those of you who do not know about Pliny the Younger, it is widely considered to be the best beer of all time, even better than Westvleteran 12.

100 Score on Beer Advocate, also #1 on their top beers list

Ratebeer 100 Overall, 100 Style, #7 on their top 10

Philly Tap Finder Pliny the Younger locations.

The locations page is being updated as bars confirm availability. Enjoy!

Edit:
Luckily for me I live a few blocks from Bishop's Collar, and even closer to St. Stephen's Green (if they get it again this year).

Younger is really good, but not worth waiting in line for hours to try.

The only of those places you'll have to wait in line at really is Monk's. I love their selection, but it's not worth the crowds. You're better off at Belgian Cafe (luckily that is only a few blocks from me as well) as it is owned by the same people. In most of the places I don't expect more than you would wait at any bar on a busy night.

The only of those places you'll have to wait in line at really is Monk's. I love their selection, but it's not worth the crowds. You're better off at Belgian Cafe (luckily that is only a few blocks from me as well) as it is owned by the same people. In most of the places I don't expect more than you would wait at any bar on a busy night.

The waits here in Seattle weren't that bad this year, although a few still ended up with 90 minute wait times. My local bottle shop got in a keg and sold tickets for it a week in advance. Worked out really well.

I wonder if Younger overtaking Westy 12 in the rankings is due to the fact that Westy 12 is actually easier to get?

The waits here in Seattle weren't that bad this year, although a few still ended up with 90 minute wait times. My local bottle shop got in a keg and sold tickets for it a week in advance. Worked out really well.

I wonder if Younger overtaking Westy 12 in the rankings is due to the fact that Westy 12 is actually easier to get?

I actually haven't even been able to get my hands on Westy 12 yet, so for me Pliny has been easier. Seems like I always miss the Westy 12 shipments. But I dunno, Rochefort 10 is easier to get and everyone I have talked to that has had both say it is better than Westy 12, but it hasn't overtaken it, so it may not be the ease of access.

I think it's because Americans have a taste for IPA/hoppy beers over the sweeter Quads. I find the complexity of Quads to be far more enjoyable.

I actually haven't even been able to get my hands on Westy 12 yet, so for me Pliny has been easier. Seems like I always miss the Westy 12 shipments. But I dunno, Rochefort 10 is easier to get and everyone I have talked to that has had both say it is better than Westy 12, but it hasn't overtaken it, so it may not be the ease of access.

I think it's because Americans have a taste for IPA/hoppy beers over the sweeter Quads. I find the complexity of Quads to be far more enjoyable.

Elusiveness seems to be a factor with beer ratings, especially if you read Beer Advocate's forums for any amount of time.

Even if you don't go to Belgium, you can easily get Westy 12 off ebay, plus it's made year-round (as opposed to Younger being brewed once a year), so of course it's much easier to obtain. Plus, there is the upcoming domestic release of the Westy 12 6-pack giftset.

While I really like the younger, I really think it's overhyped. I prefer the Elder, actually.

Younger is really smooth and flavorful, but I don't think it's all that different from Elder. Like I said previously, it reminds me of the Elder "turned up to 11." Hype plays a big part, as well.

Even if you don't go to Belgium, you can easily get Westy 12 off ebay, plus it's made year-round (as opposed to Younger being brewed once a year), so of course it's much easier to obtain. Plus, there is the upcoming domestic release of the Westy 12 6-pack giftset.

I always try to get it through distributors and bars I trust because I don't really trust people on ebay to care for it well, plus they always charge way more than it's worth in my experience. Every time I go to the guys who have it I miss it by like a week. Sort of like what happened to me with the Mad Elf shipment this year : (

I guess Pliny the Younger is easier for me because it seems like such a big event seeing that it only comes once a year that I have more awareness of it.

Speaking of Westy, I still need to crack open my last bottle of 12 to celebrate the birth of my daughter. Sleep deprivation recently hasn't made it sound very enticing.

Shacker

Neo Member
What better way to pop my GAF cherry than reply to an OT beer thread?

I'm lucky enough to live in the Pacific NW. The craft beer up in hurr is phenomenal. I've been drinking the one-two deuce-deuce punch of Hopworks' Organic Ale followed by their IPA.

I gaf'd! :p

EricM85

I'm going on vacation to Napa/Sonoma in early May, and am currently planning to check out Russian River, Lagunitas, and maybe Bear Republic while down there. Any other recommendations for breweries in that area?

Shacker

Neo Member
I'm going on vacation to Napa/Sonoma in early May, and am currently planning to check out Russian River, Lagunitas, and maybe Bear Republic while down there. Any other recommendations for breweries in that area?

Those you mentioned would be great. Pliny the Elder! Am envious. Enjoy. You may try to make it up to Sierra Nevada. It's a great historic brewery experience and you can get their gorgeous growler when you're there.

You're covered on the breweries. I like Sonoma a lot more than Napa, more laid back and less pretentious.

If you don't have Russian River distribution in your home state, stock up! I'm still annoyed that we don't get Blind Pig IPA in Washington state due to a legal issue.

Just entered this comp and have 10 gallons of wort headed my way. Any fun ideas? I was thinking of doing 5 gal dry hopped with maybe cascade or a spicy hop like nugget with some Schezwan peppercorns. Not quite sure what to do with the other 5 gal. Initial thought was 100% Brett B., but that seems kind of boring. Open to suggestions if anyone has any.

Nebraska Brewing Company said:
NBC Presents:
The 2012
Wort Transformation Competition!
We brew the wort and you add some yeast and copious amounts of creativity to ferment and age it to your whim!

Sharkmuncher ~ Thank you for taking the Challenge by it's horns!
We wanted to make sure that your had all the information that you needed, please find the details below.
The Wort:
Basic APA wort
Cooled, unaerated and unyeasted
Recipe:
79% 2-Row Brewer's Malt
8% Caramel 10
8% Caramel 20
5% Munich Malt
26 IBU, Bittered with Galena Hops
Whirlpool Cascade Hop Addition equivalent to 2/3 oz in 5 gallons
1.056 Original Gravity

Wort Pick Up:
Friday March 16th ~ 4 to 6:30 pm, or Saturday March 17th ~ 11am to 1pm
** Be aware, pick-up times will be strictly enforced, if you do not pick up your wort during these times you'll forfeit your entry.
Each entry will get you 5gal of wort
bring your own sanitized carboy with a lid
2 entry limit
Each carboy fill must be followed up with a beer entry

Labeling Instructions
The following MUST be on each of the 6 bottles for entry
Brewers Name
Beer Name
Category
To Style, Wood, Fruit/Spice or Experimental
A short description of special ingredients or processes used.

Beer Drop Off:
Saturday May 12th, 2012
We'll accept entries from 11am to 9pm @ Nebraska Brewing Company - Papillion, NE 68046.
Each Entry must be accompanied by:
6 - 12oz bottles - labeled correctly
Only bottled beer will be accepted for competition unless your super wealthy and have a canning line of own how cool would that be>
For each 5gal of wort you receive you must enter at least 6 - 12oz bottles, if you choose to supply your entries in bigger bottles, we still require 6 total bottles

Judging:
Judging is expected to take place on Tuesday May 15th, 2012
All judges will be professionals in the brewing industry or BJCP trained judges.
*if you know any one that fits this criteria and you think they might want to volunteer to judge, please let us know.
For our first year, this will not be an AHA sanctioned event, but we hope to get it there for next time.
Judging will be based on & Awards/Prizes given for the following categories; To Style, Wood, Fruit/Spice, Experimental & Best in show.

Orayn

Currently enjoying a Magic Hat Not Quite Pale Ale, and HOLY HELL did they manage to get this stuff to taste like apricots. I am seriously impressed.

I picked up some Oskar Blues Deviant Dale's last night. It comes in 16oz. tall boy cans. It is extremely tasty if you like your hops hoppy.

425823_3560308206789_1245325028_3577574_1559801144_n.jpg

Is there anyone in Vermont who can obtain and ship some Heady Topper from the Alchemist brewery? They only sell it in Vermont, but the reviews make it sound like a godsend. A guy in my local store tried one and said "makes Pliny seem like Coors". Probably embellishment, but I really want to try it. If anyone in Vermont can send me some, I'll paypal you whatever you think your time and effort is worth.

Shacker

Neo Member
I just sat down with my friend for a sandwich and a Fearless Scottish ale at Marco's in Multnomah Village near Portland, OR. We sat at the bar to save time. I said to my friend, "I like Scottish ales. I hear this one's good."

This older dude to our right leans over and proceeds to school us. Scottish style...

Ah doan mean ta burst yer bubble, bu' ya ent goona find a proper Sco'ish ale he'ya. Ya havta goo ta Scotland.

And, duh, but it was awesome. He didn't mean any harm and it was freaking hilarious. I held back from telling him that all the "triple hopped" "King of Beers" they drink over there taste nothing like hops.

After lunch, we went across the street to John's Marketplace and lucked out with two bottles each of Pliny the Elder. I also got a bottle of local brewery Hair of the Dog's, Blue Dot Double India Pale Ale and a Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA. Win.

I passed on a chance to try pliny the younger last night. It was $8 for a snifter and my bottleshop had to sell tickets in advance just for a taste. They sold out in a matter of hours. Did I do wrong beerGAF?

Top Bottom