• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

They just relabel someone else's product - a la Trader Joe's house brand.

At least with TJ they have Firestone Walker contract brew for them.

Costco has some crap brewer I've never heard of from San Jose do their beers. Being from the Seattle area you'd think they'd partner with one of our local craft breweries.

I was in Ohio last weekend visiting a friend, and O.M.G. They have the most amazing beer selection I have ever seen. We even had a guy who worked in the beer section ask us if there was anything he could order for us. It was bliss. I picked up a 6 pack of Rogue Dead Guy, a 6 pack of Hoegaarden, and a 6 pack of Flying Dog classic Pale Ale. Thats just what I brought back to Michigan.

Michigan sucks and I'm moving to Ohio

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Costco has some crap brewer I've never heard of from San Jose do their beers. Being from the Seattle area you'd think they'd partner with one of our local craft breweries.

Pretty sure Gordon Biersch does the Costco stuff. And they also do a lot of the Trader Joes stuff.

PG2G

My beer of the night

PcEpN.jpg

Must say, its pretty tasty. Still trying to find the one I had at the bar though (have tried this one and the white ale so far). All I know is the brewery, might just have to go back.

Panzon

Just tried sam adams (alpine springs) and dos equis for the first time. Not too bad but I think I'm gonna stick to my regular coronas or coors light (typical hispanic) since cherry wheat is hard to come across for me.

If I remember correctly, TJ's has a lot of people brew for them. Gordon Biersch, Firestone Walker, Unibroue, and Goose Island just to list a few that I know about.

If I remember correctly, TJ's has a lot of people brew for them. Gordon Biersch, Firestone Walker, Unibroue, and Goose Island just to list a few that I know about.

Hale's (Seattle) and Full Sail (Oregon) have also brewed for them. Firestone Walker's stuff (the standard TJ 6-packs of IPA, Pale, etc.) is really good for the price.

managed to get some Founders KBS that i've been enjoying.

I was in Ohio last weekend visiting a friend, and O.M.G. They have the most amazing beer selection I have ever seen. We even had a guy who worked in the beer section ask us if there was anything he could order for us. It was bliss. I picked up a 6 pack of Rogue Dead Guy, a 6 pack of Hoegaarden, and a 6 pack of Flying Dog classic Pale Ale. Thats just what I brought back to Michigan.

are you serious? all of those are available in michigan.

it looks like you're located in grand rapids? you're around Founders, Bell's, and somewhat close to New Holland...you realize that, right? and that's just breweries around you.

michigan is one of the best beer states around.

Just got homebrew advice from the former brewmaster of Deschutes (creator of The Abyss). He tried the Citra Pale I made for my daughter's birth. Very cool.

bryehn

Over the past year, I've been drinking a LOT of different beers. I'm just not starting to keep track over at Beer Advocate. One of the field guys at my work travels all over the US and brings local brews back for a few of us at the office. It's given me the chance to try some REALLY cool and unique beers.

After a long ass week at work, I dropped by the nearby liquor store and picked this Belgian sampler up.

UFrsf.jpg

I'll be drinking them over the next few days. Definitely excited.

I've had that pack, they're all good.

Rogue and Hoegaarden aren't available in MI? They're common up here in selection-starved Ontario (Hoegaarden is InBev). I WISH I ciuld get half the stuff you MI guys have access to.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I want to get to Binny's tonight since the one by my family is two stories. I'm hoping to find some neat micros on my adventure! I had a pretty solid beer the other night...I think it was called SweetWater 420. Very solid beer - not too bitter, slight citrus rind taste, overall excellent.

Malvolio

managed to get some Founders KBS that i've been enjoying.

it looks like you're located in grand rapids? you're around Founders, Bell's, and somewhat close to New Holland...you realize that, right? and that's just breweries around you.

So much truth in one post. Knocked a few KBS myself over the past few days and enjoyed them a lot. Got word earlier that my brother's wedding will be in Michigan in the fall and was excited to see that my route will take me through Grand Rapids. Going to take an extra day just to stop in at a few breweries and enjoy some of my favorites.

Also finally got to try Dogfish 75min last night and was very impressed. I like the 60 and the 90 (120 not so much) but neither of them are really high on my list of IPA's, but the 75 is a notch above IMO. The maple syrup gives it that touch of sweetness that I think is a perfect addition to a solid IPA.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I got 6 tickets for Dark Lord Day! WOO! It's going to be me, my fiancée, her two oldest brothers, my good friend/colleague, and either my dad or another coworker. Group C bitches!

NICE! I didn't know they had a collaboration in the works. I WANT this!

It was brewed back in 2010 and has been barrel aging ever since. Coming out in May at $10.99 a 12 oz. bottle.

The beer is a blend of two Deschutes beers, The Stoic and The Dissident, as well as two Hair of the Dog beers, Fred and Adam. All four were brewed at Deschutes’ facility in Bend in March of 2010. All four were then aged in a variety of wooden barrels for two years including Rye Whiskey, Cognac, Sherry, Pinot Noir, Bourbon, used American Oak which previously held beer, new American Oak, and new Oregon Oak.

andylsun

Just brewed my first ever beer yesterday. Have made wine and hard cider before, but not Beer. Got a kit from my local brew place (Jaspers, NH) with fantastic instructions and good ingredients (Extract based but with grain steeping step). Started with an IPA, and that's the first time I've smelt hops before they get added to the beer - I love the smell but it makes my wife sick.

Will eventually start doing lagers, so my wife has something she can drink. I can't wait to start doing Pliny the Elder clones!

Just brewed my first ever beer yesterday. Have made wine and hard cider before, but not Beer. Got a kit from my local brew place (Jaspers, NH) with fantastic instructions and good ingredients (Extract based but with grain steeping step). Started with an IPA, and that's the first time I've smelt hops before they get added to the beer - I love the smell but it makes my wife sick.

Will eventually start doing lagers, so my wife has something she can drink. I can't wait to start doing Pliny the Elder clones!

All of the kits have a grain steeping step. I don't really know anyone that has done an extract exclusive beer. IPA is a good first choice. Limited specialty grains and stringky enough flavored that it should cover up some inevitable off flavors. Good luck!

IMAG0096.jpg

Recovery day for me. St. Patty's + Open Bar Wedding Reception means a hangover for me

andylsun

All of the kits have a grain steeping step. I don't really know anyone that has done an extract exclusive beer. IPA is a good first choice. Limited specialty grains and stringky enough flavored that it should cover up some inevitable off flavors. Good luck!

It's been 78F outdoors today, so the beer is fermenting like mad. No spillover yet, but about 1 bubble every 4 seconds on the airlock. Going to give it a week on the primary, then rack to carboy for two more weeks then bottle and condition for 3.

5gal of beer in a 6.5 gal bucket.

Thinking about how I'd handle an all-grain brew, but will do a couple more kits first to get the hang of it. The rolling boil went very well on the camping stove on the deck, no boil over and well under control.

Edit: Visiting Milpitas, CA next week - where can I get a 4 pack of Pliny the Elder? Any idea if it will explode in my luggage if I try to bring it back east (checked, of course).

fenners

It's been 78F outdoors today, so the beer is fermenting like mad. No spillover yet, but about 1 bubble every 4 seconds on the airlock. Going to give it a week on the primary, then rack to carboy for two more weeks then bottle and condition for 3.

Don't rush it out the primary in a week.

fenners

Got my starter on the stove ahead of my first all-grain tomorrow! Doing a "Brew in a bag" using a makeshift voile bag & an old 11 gallon pot from a bud. It's going to be a "anonymous IPA", a basic recipe I got from Homebrewtalk.

Going to be an experience one way or another, that's for sure. And not many people can say they've brewed using a curtain...

Had a few Boulder Beer Flashback, some of my 70-, one of my Raspberry porters and working on one of my "dos loco" caffeine infused malt liquors. I have having a good Sunday night.

If anyone is interested, flashback is a pretty good way to get the character of cascade hops with a bit of dark malt. It is quite tasty.

I again look like my avatar

Edit: Visiting Milpitas, CA next week - where can I get a 4 pack of Pliny the Elder? Any idea if it will explode in my luggage if I try to bring it back east (checked, of course).

They don't sell Pliny in packs. Single bottles for ~$5 and most places have a 1 or 2 bottle limit per person. Comes out every 4-5 weeks. Check bottle shops, BevMo and Whole Foods.

You should have no problem with it staying in-tact on the flight back home. Took a custom 6-pack (with a bottle of PtE) to Nebraska for my wife's cousin, and brought one back no problem. Bubble wrap and plastic bags work wonders.

I am a frequent visitor of Founder's. But trying to secure specific beers is a difficult task here unless you want to shell out $20 for a 6 pack, and I do not. Everything in Ohio was nearly half the price of what it is here, with a much much much larger selection than I have ever seen

I know what I have to work with in Grand Rapids, but I also now know whats available for less in a state just below

PG2G

Tried the Russian River Damnation last night, really enjoyed it. I need to make my way up north to visit the brewery.

thespot84

Had a few Boulder Beer Flashback, some of my 70-, one of my Raspberry porters and working on one of my "dos loco" caffeine infused malt liquors. I have having a good Sunday night.

If anyone is interested, flashback is a pretty good way to get the character of cascade hops with a bit of dark malt. It is quite tasty.

I again look like my avatar

How would you say flashback compares to their other beers? I worked next to boulder beer for 3 years and while it was great to have a brewery next door I wasn't a huge fan of the beer.

How would you say flashback compares to their other beers? I worked next to boulder beer for 3 years and while it was great to have a brewery next door I wasn't a huge fan of the beer.

Flashback is easily the best thing they make in a six pack, plus it is really difficult to find an IBA in six packs, let alone a good one. It's a great brew

Shacker

Neo Member
Ugh. I still have a headache from last night. Four dudes drank three growlers and a few deuce-deuces.

-Bear Republic Racer 5
-Boneyard Hop Venom (imperial double - WOW, excellent)
-Boneyard Chocolate Espresso Stout (eh, I'm not bothering with stout anymore unless it's imerial)
-22 AleSmith IPA
-Rogue Double Dead Guy

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Tried the Russian River Damnation last night, really enjoyed it. I need to make my way up north to visit the brewery.

You really should, pretty cool place and they have very good food. The pizza I had there was honestly one of the best I've had.

andylsun

They don't sell Pliny in packs. Single bottles for ~$5 and most places have a 1 or 2 bottle limit per person. Comes out every 4-5 weeks. Check bottle shops, BevMo and Whole Foods.

You should have no problem with it staying in-tact on the flight back home. Took a custom 6-pack (with a bottle of PtE) to Nebraska for my wife's cousin, and brought one back no problem. Bubble wrap and plastic bags work wonders.

Great. Thanks for the tips. Will build a list of places to try and then probably spend one evening driving around to find some. I've a hard shell suitcase, and will take bubble wrap and a tupperware container to keep the treasured bottles in...

Anything else on the must-drink list while I'm there?

andylsun

Ok - will leave it for another week at least. Two weeks primary and two weeks secondary. Don't want to rush this beer. Temperature looks a little high. The kit instructions recommend 62F to 72F for the yeast I'm using, but it looks to be right at the high end (72F). If this causes any off flavours, then leaving it in the primary for another week can help, and won't hurt?

Top Bottom