• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

I passed on a chance to try pliny the younger last night. It was $8 for a snifter and my bottleshop had to sell tickets in advance just for a taste. They sold out in a matter of hours. Did I do wrong beerGAF?

If it was there you should have tried it if you hadn't before. It's a good beer. I've stopped playing the "long lines and raffles" game to get some though.

Went to 3 or 4 shops last night trying, in vain, to find some la fin du monde. Never thought I'd trouble finding it as it was always in stock in the store I went to in fucking Missouri of all places.

Went to 3 or 4 shops last night trying, in vain, to find some la fin du monde. Never thought I'd trouble finding it as it was always in stock in the store I went to in fucking Missouri of all places.

Are you in the middle of nowhere or something? Unibroue is in every major grocery store here in St. Louis

nitewulf

current fav:

Palm_Special_clear.png

drinking now:

Paulaner_Hefeweizen.jpg

Soft Molasses Cookies is my Iron Brewer first round ingredient this year. Cookie Brown getting brewed tomorrow:

Cookie Brown

Batch size: 5.0 gal
Boil volume: 6.0 gal
OG: 1.060
FG: 1.015
Bitterness (IBU): 20.2
Color (SRM): 33.7
ABV: 5.9%

[Grains]
Maris Otter Malt 8.000lb Grain 72.7%
Chocolate Malt (US) 1.000lb Grain 9.1%
Honey Malt (Canadian) 1.000lb Grain 9.1%
Crystal 60L 0.500lb Grain 4.5%
Crystal 80L 0.500lb Grain 4.5%

[Hops]
Cascade 0.50oz 6.6% AA Pellet @ 60 min, 11.4 IBU
Cascade 0.50oz 6.6% AA Pellet @ 30 min, 8.8 IBU

[Yeast/Other]
American Ale yeast 1.0 unit(s), Yeast 

[Recipe Notes]
Mash with a buncha fuckin cookies

They doing Iron Brewer in your part of the country? Awesome. The local breweries here in Seattle have been doing it for a few years now, some really crazy ingredients have been used in the past.

I'd love to brew again, I just don't have the time or the patience. And I'm pretty sure my old pantry still smells like exploded ginger beer from last time.

They doing Iron Brewer in your part of the country? Awesome. The local breweries here in Seattle have been doing it for a few years now, some really crazy ingredients have been used in the past.

It's a yearly contest in my homebrewing club. Lost last year in the first round with ginger. Most unusual ingredient this year was Reeses Puffs Cereal. Highlights have been watermelon, coconut, cedar wood, chipoltle. Some awesome beers for sure. Coconut Milk Stout was amazing

Big Time Brewing here in Seattle has Breakfast Cereal Killer Stout.

Is a Chocolate Coffee Oatmeal Stout. The brewers used every cereal grain in the brewery plus while mashing in added Corn Flakes, Rice Crispies, Coco Puffs and Cinnamon Toast Crunch. “Dry Hopped” with Stumptown Coffee and Cocoa Nibs from Theo’s Chocolate

Malvolio

Managed to find a half dozen Dark Horse Double Crooked Trees at the store yesterday. I've had trouble getting my hands on them so I was quite excited. Pretty smooth for a 13% DIPA. Looking forward to letting the rest age and seeing how things progress. I've been told the beer really mellows out and gets better with age.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
FINALLY found some of sierra nevada's hoptimum (at the brewery) and its damn good. strong too (10 something %). picked up a few 4-packs to last me a good while.

FINALLY found some of sierra nevada's hoptimum (at the brewery) and its damn good. strong too (10 something %). picked up a few 4-packs to last me a good while.

I picked up a 4-pack earlier this evening at Whole Foods. Gonna do a Pliny the Elder/Hopslam/Hoptimum taste test.

An evening with Kasteel's Donker (Belgian Brown 11%) and Lucky Bucket IPA. Pretty much everything I have had from Kasteel has been enjoyable and I think it is relatively easy to find, I especially recommend their Geuze if you are interested in a sour beer. Lucky Bucket is a local Nebraska brewery that only packages 3 beers, their pre-prohibition lager (which tastes strangely of Peanut butter) - not great, their IPA, a pretty nice, dry piney and citrusey IPA that is probably their best, and Crertified Evil, this odd Belgian-Porter abomination with raisins and brown sugar a bit sweet for me, kind of Meh.

I think it will be time for me to move on to my 70/- and then over to Drunk Thread? Drunk Thread!

ps - I hate all of you and your special release hop-amazing-wonderfulness IPAs. That is all

edit:
Beer Station pics:
Fermenting - RR Redemption Clone - 1 Week post pitch
PY0O4l.jpg

Kegged - 70/- (mmmm), American Stout (ehhh), Maibock (lagering for 4 more weeks)
zgItsl.jpg

Lucky Bucket is a local Nebraska brewery that only packages 3 beers, their pre-prohibition lager (which tastes strangely of Peanut butter) - not great, their IPA, a pretty nice, dry piney and citrusey IPA that is probably their best,

I've had Lucky Bucket's IPA taste like peanut butter depending on the batch. When I was in Omaha in September, it had the PB taste, but in December it didn't.

Lucky Bucket actually has a fourth bottled beer. They put up pictures of their wheat beer in bottles on Facebook not too long ago. The midwest really loves their wheat beers... they're completely non-existent out here in the PNW.

428057_10150605130785958_76812750957_9218675_1473273505_n.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Over the past year, I've been drinking a LOT of different beers. I'm just not starting to keep track over at Beer Advocate. One of the field guys at my work travels all over the US and brings local brews back for a few of us at the office. It's given me the chance to try some REALLY cool and unique beers.

After a long ass week at work, I dropped by the nearby liquor store and picked this Belgian sampler up.

UFrsf.jpg

I'll be drinking them over the next few days. Definitely excited.

tehrafe

Over the past year, I've been drinking a LOT of different beers. I'm just not starting to keep track over at Beer Advocate. One of the field guys at my work travels all over the US and brings local brews back for a few of us at the office. It's given me the chance to try some REALLY cool and unique beers.

After a long ass week at work, I dropped by the nearby liquor store and picked this Belgian sampler up.

UFrsf.jpg

I'll be drinking them over the next few days. Definitely excited.

Nice! A couple of proper Belgium beers. In case you have not tried these yet, try to get them: Duvel (the original, not the green Duvel on draft or bottles they sell in the US), Tripel Karmeliet, Straffe Hendrik, Delirium (blonde, not the dark "nocturne"), Mad Bitch (Belgium name is Dulle Teve) and St Bernardus. They might be expensive but they are def worth it.

I want to expand my American beer taste, where should I start? (Living in Belgium I have already tried around 300 different Belgian beers and counting) Hopefully I can actually get some of these.

Where do you guys get such well presented beer brands? :D I think there's a beer pub in my town, I don't know if they really sell stuff, though. I have yet to find a german online-shop that sells more "obscure" beers.

The States. Best place on earth for a beer lover in present day.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Nice! A couple of proper Belgium beers. In case you have not tried these yet, try to get them: Duvel (the original, not the green Duvel on draft or bottles they sell in the US), Tripel Karmeliet, Straffe Hendrik, Delirium (blonde, not the dark "nocturne"), Mad Bitch (Belgium name is Dulle Teve) and St Bernardus. They might be expensive but they are def worth it.

I want to expand my American beer taste, where should I start? (Living in Belgium I have already tried around 300 different Belgian beers and counting) Hopefully I can actually get some of these.

I'll have to take a trip and hunt some of these down - thanks for the tips! Delirium Tremens is actually my favorite beer, but it is quite expensive (worth it though!).

As for American beers, you'll have to get some opinions of the other beer fanatics here. I have some favorites that I swear by, but they're probably not classics or "must-try" beers. Just for the sake of argument, I'll say that if you can find it, Magic Hat #9 is my go to beer. Absolutely incredible brew. :)

Anyone in the midwest planning on going to Three Floyd's Dark Lord Day? Tickets go on sale next saturday at noon central.

http://www.darklordday.com/

I've been trying to get tickets to this event for a few years. You have less than 60 seconds before they're all sold out. If I can gt tickets this year, I will definitely be there, though.

I'll have to take a trip and hunt some of these down - thanks for the tips! Delirium Tremens is actually my favorite beer, but it is quite expensive (worth it though!).

As for American beers, you'll have to get some opinions of the other beer fanatics here. I have some favorites that I swear by, but they're probably not classics or "must-try" beers. Just for the sake of argument, I'll say that if you can find it, Magic Hat #9 is my go to beer. Absolutely incredible brew. :)

I've been trying to get tickets to this event for a few years. You have less than 60 seconds before they're all sold out. If I can gt tickets this year, I will definitely be there, though.

Yeah there is only 5 or 6 thousand and it's gotten pretty bug. I'd love to go, but I'm sure it'll be sold out before I can get them :(

Tunic

Anyone in the midwest planning on going to Three Floyd's Dark Lord Day? Tickets go on sale next saturday at noon central.

http://www.darklordday.com/

One of these years I will try to attend this event. I have had Dark Lord a couple of times before by receiving it through beer trading and I must say it is one of my all-time favorites. I am envious of everyone that will be attending this!

The States. Best place on earth for a beer lover in present day.
I guess so. Here in Germany many people I know are like "beer in the US? Hahaha watery piss!" Not that anyone of them has ever drunk a fat imperial stout. I'm kind of tired of the boring thin stuff we get here. There are a few great ones, though. I love my Köstritzer or Stoertebeker for a more intensive, malty, smoky drinking experience.

88_0.JPG

I've had Lucky Bucket's IPA taste like peanut butter depending on the batch. When I was in Omaha in September, it had the PB taste, but in December it didn't.

Lucky Bucket actually has a fourth bottled beer. They put up pictures of their wheat beer in bottles on Facebook not too long ago. The midwest really loves their wheat beers... they're completely non-existent out here in the PNW.

428057_10150605130785958_76812750957_9218675_1473273505_n.jpg

Yeah, they've been kinking that wheat around for a while. I had an early batch last summer it a fest and it was, eh at best. Actually, it is probably a good move and will do well at all the same places their lager does well around here as an inoffensive, local alternative to Boulevard Wheat. And yes, the midwest really loves their wheat beers.

Boulevard makes some good stuff, but the only beer of theirs most restaurants in Omaha have is wheat...

Really?!?! Fucking A. Give me something with flavor.

I know I'm spoiled out here in Seattle and the PNW in general with our beer culture, but I'm really confused as to why more places in Omaha don't carry local stuff (Empyrean, Lucky Bucket, NBC, etc.) on tap. My in-laws have this little dive bar (The VIP) a short walk from their house in Omaha. First time we went there, I asked for something local. Nothing. Then I asked what they had on tap. Nothing. Just bottles of Bud Light and Coors Light. Still a fun kitschy place to hang out, I guess.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
One of my coworkers swears by Boulevard wheat. That's the unfiltered one, yes? I have yet to try it, but he speaks very highly of it.

Hey, question for beer GAF...Is it wrong to drink my beer after chilling it in the fridge? I've been told it ruins the favors or something.

Boulevard Wheat really doesn't taste any different to me than the big American adjuncts.

Hey, question for beer GAF...Is it wrong to drink my beer after chilling it in the fridge? I've been told it ruins the favors or something.

I typically have my beers at 45-50 in my fridge. Nothing wrong with starting out with them chilled, but let them warm up and you'll notice a difference in the flavor profile.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Boulevard Wheat really doesn't taste any different to me than the big American adjuncts.

I typically have my beers at 45-50 in my fridge. Nothing wrong with starting out with them chilled, but let them warm up and you'll notice a difference in the flavor profile.

Oddly enough, I tried DreamWeaver Wheat (an unfiltered beer), and found it to taste way too similar to your standard (dare I say it) shit beer. :/

And I like to pour it and let it sit in a glass for a few. I'll start letting it warm up a tad and see how it changes.

tokkun

I'm sure most brewers are aware that the vast majority of beer is served cold and take this into consideration when adjusting the flavor profile of their beer. Ergo, the way it tastes cold is typically the way it was intended to taste.

If you want a more robust taste, let it warm up. The cold doesn't actually affect the flavor of the beer, the issue is that it slightly numbs your taste buds while drinking.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Currently drinking Deschutes Brewery Red Chair Northwest Pale Ale. It's.... ok. I seem to remember liking it more last year. Usually stuff from Deschutes is better. Oh well.

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to get Palm beer in the states? My fiancee went to the brewery when she was over there and really loved the beer. I'd love to surprise her with some.

pgtl_10

I love making beer chili and I experiment with different beers. Any suggestions?

So far I say St. Arnolds Winter Stout and Shiner Bock are the best two I've tried.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Latest haul. One of my coworkers can't drink Pale Ales or IPAs, so anything he gets from his guy on the road he gives me. I've tried some fantastic beers thanks to him.

7ZRIr.jpg

I've had Iron Horse IPA before (he gave me a few last week or so), and it's a REALLY solid beer. Drinking the SweetWater 420 at the moment - definitely taste the rind of some citrus fruit. Another great beer.

thespot84

Latest haul. One of my coworkers can't drink Pale Ales or IPAs, so anything he gets from his guy on the road he gives me. I've tried some fantastic beers thanks to him.

http://i.imgur.com/7ZRIr.jpg[IMG]

I've had Iron Horse IPA before (he gave me a few last week or so), and it's a REALLY solid beer. Drinking the SweetWater 420 at the moment - definitely taste the rind of some citrus fruit. Another great beer.[/QUOTE]

Kirkland, like from costco? do they have someone brew it for them?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Kirkland, like from costco? do they have someone brew it for them?

It's brewed by New Yorker Brewing Company. It's not fantastic beer, but it's not piss beer, either. He buys some of the Costco stuff in bulk when he has big gatherings - it's better than Miller/Bud/etc. He even tells me when he gives me my hauls, "This is that Kirkland's stuff - if you don't like it, throw it out." He has hundreds of bottles of beer that he is always looking to get rid of, haha.

Top Bottom