• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

fenners

Ok - will leave it for another week at least. Two weeks primary and two weeks secondary. Don't want to rush this beer. Temperature looks a little high. The kit instructions recommend 62F to 72F for the yeast I'm using, but it looks to be right at the high end (72F). If this causes any off flavours, then leaving it in the primary for another week can help, and won't hurt?

You'll be fine. The best way to judge when it's safe to move it is with a hydrometer - take a sample, measure the gravity. When the gravity's stopped changing, give it a few days & you're good. I know a lot of kits say "move it in a few days!" or "in a week!" but there's really no hurry. Letting it sit on the yeast for a week or two isn't going to do the beer any harm.

But really, these days, a lot of people don't bother with secondaries at all. Even Palmer etc have changed their minds on it. Me, I still use them, but more for just to get the beer of the yeast & give it a chance to clear a little more than it does if it goes straight to the keg.

Relax! Don't worry! Drink a homebrew!

Impending thunderstorms have put a dent in my plans to brew :( Instead, going to transfer to secondary a Common ESB I've got sitting there. It's been in the primary for 4 weeks ;)

I am a frequent visitor of Founder's. But trying to secure specific beers is a difficult task here unless you want to shell out $20 for a 6 pack, and I do not. Everything in Ohio was nearly half the price of what it is here, with a much much much larger selection than I have ever seen

I know what I have to work with in Grand Rapids, but I also now know whats available for less in a state just below
price is a different issue (and one you never mentioned in your initial post). i doubt OH prices are "half"...MI and and OH are typically pretty close for beer prices and beer tax rate. if you're buying enough, it might be worth the trip i guess.

as far as selection goes, you raved about it and then went on to list 3 beers that are readily available all over southern MI. what was it that they had that you can't find in GR?

andylsun

You'll be fine. The best way to judge when it's safe to move it is with a hydrometer - take a sample, measure the gravity. When the gravity's stopped changing, give it a few days & you're good. I know a lot of kits say "move it in a few days!" or "in a week!" but there's really no hurry. Letting it sit on the yeast for a week or two isn't going to do the beer any harm.

I have a hydrometer. I thought that would be used at the end of the secondary stage to make sure all fermentation has completed (same reading of gravity across multiple days), rather than at the end of the primary, as fermentation continues in the secondary?

I want to get it into the secondary for dry-hopping so I can free up my primary for more beer! Plus the secondary is a carboy, which looks cooler than the bucket.

If you come across any Six Point beer, buy it. It is easily my favorite brewery and pretty much the only beer I buy in stores now. They have started another run of their 9.1% delicious beer Resin in cans again. They sell out quick so grab them if you can.

f8qcGl.jpg

Sweet action on tap has been my favorite beer for the last year or so. Can't wait to go to their brewer when it opens for tours again.

How would you say flashback compares to their other beers? I worked next to boulder beer for 3 years and while it was great to have a brewery next door I wasn't a huge fan of the beer.

I think its definitely one of their stronger beers, although I still prefer Hazed over pretty much everything else Boulder Beer puts out.

Tunic

Picked up a 4-pack of North Coast Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout to enjoy tonight. Patiently waiting to see Pliny The Elder come back to the area, seeing the picture of the full stock in California made me instantly jealous.

Ok - will leave it for another week at least. Two weeks primary and two weeks secondary. Don't want to rush this beer. Temperature looks a little high. The kit instructions recommend 62F to 72F for the yeast I'm using, but it looks to be right at the high end (72F). If this causes any off flavours, then leaving it in the primary for another week can help, and won't hurt?

Well the temperature will have affected it already whether you move it from the primary or not, but the issue most kits focus on, autolysis, is largely overstated.

Zeth

If you come across any Six Point beer, buy it. It is easily my favorite brewery and pretty much the only beer I buy in stores now. They have started another run of their 9.1% delicious beer Resin in cans again. They sell out quick so grab them if you can.

Sweet action on tap has been my favorite beer for the last year or so. Can't wait to go to their brewer when it opens for tours again.

Was happy to see Six Points Resin on the latest draft list email from my local craft-beer bar/store/establishment (is there a better word for that?). I'll have to check it out.

Picked up a 4-pack of North Coast Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout to enjoy tonight. Patiently waiting to see Pliny The Elder come back to the area, seeing the picture of the full stock in California made me instantly jealous.

Ah, I need to find some Old Rasputin, it's probably my favorite stout, along with Bells Expedition Stout.

Speaking of Bells, has anyone tried Black Note? Was it a special release? I've been out of the loop for a while now. edit: limited release, damn.

price is a different issue (and one you never mentioned in your initial post). i doubt OH prices are "half"...MI and and OH are typically pretty close for beer prices and beer tax rate. if you're buying enough, it might be worth the trip i guess.

as far as selection goes, you raved about it and then went on to list 3 beers that are readily available all over southern MI. what was it that they had that you can't find in GR?

Grand Rapids is not really southern MI. But it was just a bevvy of beers I have never seen in the area from breweries from all over the country. I even had friends with me whom are avid beer drinkers that have raved about their selection. It just seemed like there was alot more readily available in Ohio. While I agree that Michigan is a great beer state and I'm very lucky to have a fantastic brewery in Founder's within 10 minutes from where I live, I just don't find such a variety here.

Like I said, I have a very good friend who moved down to Ohio recently, and we were down there visiting. I think we are going back down to visit in May, so I'll make sure I make some notes of what I find that I don't think I can get here.

And for the prices, I will use the Rogue Dead Guy as an example. In Grand Rapids, I found it for $19.99 a 6 pack. In Columbus, I found it for $11.99 a 6 pack (and no bottle deposit!). And that was the only time I saw Dead Guy in Grand Rapids!

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Homebrew talk: Just tried my first two all grain brews. Maple Porter that is a gorgeous pour but a little weak on the after taste. Not sure if I skimped on the hops or what, but just tastes bland on the finish. Rye IPA smells wonderful, tastes like a tamer fat tire, still probably the favorite thing I've made so far.

Beer festival i'm looking forward to in a couple weeks: http://eastnashvillebeerfest.com/breweries

sef, you're into homebrewing? i knew there was a reason i liked you. do you keg?

I just don't find such a variety here.
i don't think that OH would have a significantly better selection than MI. i am involved with Detroit Beer Week and Grand Rapids Beer Week, so i am admittedly biased.

And for the prices, I will use the Rogue Dead Guy as an example. In Grand Rapids, I found it for $19.99 a 6 pack. In Columbus, I found it for $11.99 a 6 pack (and no bottle deposit!). And that was the only time I saw Dead Guy in Grand Rapids!
if you are paying $20 for Dead Guy, you're getting raped. you might just need to check some different places. try Kingma's, International Beverage, or Siciliano's. GR prices will be higher than metro Detroit, but all 3 of those places should have Dead Guy for under $15 /6pk. FWIW, i can get it locally (Sterling Heights) for $12.

Just won first round of Iron Brewer with my Milk and Cookies Brown. Roommate won with his Honey Kolsch. Ee won by about 15 votes each. His next ingredient is coconut milk. Mine is Squash. Damn homebrewers got me too drunk. Can barely see straight

Finishing off my last bottle. Almost IPA season, folks!

kLJqx.jpg

Would love a case of that. 'Enjoyed it immensely...

Here're some of the beers sampled last week. Buddy of mine was kind enough to bring these. Finished the night off with Chocolate Rain by the Bruery.

if you are paying $20 for Dead Guy, you're getting raped. you might just need to check some different places. try Kingma's, International Beverage, or Siciliano's. GR prices will be higher than metro Detroit, but all 3 of those places should have Dead Guy for under $15 /6pk. FWIW, i can get it locally (Sterling Heights) for $12.

Admittedly, I havn't been to Kingma's in ages and should probably revisit. And I have been to Siciliano's once, really liked it. I'll have to check out International Beverage too. And I probably jumped the gun a bit saying how great Ohio's beer selection was, but I was enamored at the moment!

Sleepy

Anyone tried Abita Restoration Ale? Tried their IPA last week, but didn't really like it...too, I don't know how to describe the taste..."meaty"?

Reclaimer

Anyone tried Abita Restoration Ale? Tried their IPA last week, but didn't really like it...too, I don't know how to describe the taste..."meaty"?

Many of Abitas beers have that feel for me, and it's just off from what I prefer.

If you like IPA, you should try Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA.

Just had some fresh from the brewery in Chico, and it was glorious.

Brew what you will enjoy drinking. That's why I started with an IPA, plus the hops will cover any small mistakes made during brewing...

I'll enjoy anything though! I found a recipe with some cinnamon and ginger I'll give a try.

And the store finally had la fin du monde in! And I also have the biggest crush on one of the employees there now.

Sleepy

Many of Abitas beers have that feel for me, and it's just off from what I prefer.

If you like IPA, you should try Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA.

Just had some fresh from the brewery in Chico, and it was glorious.

I like the Amber, but nothing else. How does the Sierra Rye compare to the Terrapin Rye?

Reclaimer

I like the Amber, but nothing else. How does the Sierra Rye compare to the Terrapin Rye?

Never had it! The SN ruthless rye is pretty bright, and some people even say it tastes like grapefruit! It's pretty hoppy, and IMO you get an aftertaste of the rye grain. Really really good.

TheExodu5

Banned
Trying this one for the first time tonight:

82669.jpg

Loving it. Nose isn't anything special, but there are some very interesting flavors in there. Very refreshing too. The finish is great and just leaves me wanting more.

Had a pint of Lucky Bucket's new wheat beer at a release party/happy hour after work. No Bueno.

Here was their though making process:

"So guys, people really like this Boulevard Wheat stuff, huh?"
"Yeah, its really big around here, especially with a slice of lemon."
"I've got it!!!!!! We put shit tons of shitty lemon flavor in the beer, then it can be served without a lemon!"
"Sir, you a brilliant...do it!!!!"

It did not turn out well.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
THE beer for me:

guldendraak.jpg

I drank one of these the other night. But wow - that looks like too much head for me. :-X I prefer little to no head myself and control it in my pour.

E: Also, before anyone starts telling me that every good beer needs a good head, I will resoectfully disagree and hold my ground, haha.

fenners

A yoga buddy of my wife came over last night to hang out. He's been homebrewing for years & has worked with beer distributors here in TX... He sampled my two homebrews on tap - an Amber & a Belgian Golden - and I didn't kill him! He even asked for more! Woohoo!

Top Bottom