• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

POdGel.jpg

You have either:
A. Done it and know the awesomeness
or
B. Just had a "Holy Shit that is a great idea" moment.

That is all.
Cheers

andylsun

Moved my first beer from the primary to the secondary yesterday. SG was 1.018 at the time of the move, so nearly done (FG between 1.01 and 1.015). Added 2oz of cascade pellets.

I drank the Hydrometer sample and another small glass, and for a green beer it tasted pretty damn good. Had some hops to it (which as I hadn't dry hopped was good), and a great taste.

A local homebrew store offers free 'classes' in homebrewing on Saturday lunchtimes, they are doing an All-grain brew in a few weeks, so will pop along and see how to do it. Picked up a 5 gal cylindrical cooler (igloo) to use for all grain from k-mart as they were $20 down from $35. Who puts their summer stuff on clearance in March!!

Will leave it for two weeks, which should be easy, as I'm off to CA tomorrow for 10 days... Looking forward to finding good beers out there.

andylsun

Just got to California (Newark). Looks like BevMo don't have Pliny the Elder at least according to their website. Whole Foods looks like a good bet, but don't know if it's only select stores or all. Any tips on places that have it in stock at the moment?

Tunic

Picked up a few more beers yesterday to enjoy over the next couple of days:

*Russian River Redemption
*Left Coast Hop Juice
*Ice Harbor English-Style Barley Wine
*Northern Ales Flume Creek IPA
*Hair of the Dog Adam
*Hair of the Dog Fred

I have enjoyed both Hair of the Dog beers and Redemption before but not for quite some time. The others are brand new to me. Quite excited for them all though however. I did notice my local beer store had Fremont Bourbon Abominable in stock but it was for $17.99 for the 22oz bottle, I just couldn't purchase it for that much but boy do I want to try it.

I did notice my local beer store had Fremont Bourbon Abominable in stock but it was for $17.99 for the 22oz bottle, I just couldn't purchase it for that much but boy do I want to try it.

Go back and buy a bottle of B-Bomb. It retails for $15 at the brewery, so a $3 markup is reasonable. It's very very good.

Tunic

Go back and buy a bottle of B-Bomb. It retails for $15 at the brewery, so a $3 markup is reasonable. It's very very good.

I think you talked me into it! I was kicking myself when I was in the store going back and forth on my decision. I guess it won't be around much longer too until next Winter. I can convince myself with that too. Also since we are from around the same area distantmantra do you know if Black Raven Brewing bottles their regular lineup? If they bottle do they sell them anywhere outside of their brewery? That would be another local brewery that I have wanted to try, but being in the Federal Way area it is quite an adventure going to Redmond.

Just got to California (Newark). Looks like BevMo don't have Pliny the Elder at least according to their website. Whole Foods looks like a good bet, but don't know if it's only select stores or all. Any tips on places that have it in stock at the moment?

Yeah, Russian River won't send it anywhere they can't guarantee that it's going straight into a cooler from what I heard.

Make a trip to find City Beer across the Bay if you can - great place. Just be careful, they have a cooler that's drink on premise only and they don't label the bottle prices and might not always tell you. There are some of them that easily cost $60.

andylsun

Yeah, Russian River won't send it anywhere they can't guarantee that it's going straight into a cooler from what I heard.

Make a trip to find City Beer across the Bay if you can - great place. Just be careful, they have a cooler that's drink on premise only and they don't label the bottle prices and might not always tell you. There are some of them that easily cost $60.

Thanks - may try to get to City Beer on the weekend.

I think you talked me into it! I was kicking myself when I was in the store going back and forth on my decision. I guess it won't be around much longer too until next Winter. I can convince myself with that too. Also since we are from around the same area distantmantra do you know if Black Raven Brewing bottles their regular lineup? If they bottle do they sell them anywhere outside of their brewery? That would be another local brewery that I have wanted to try, but being in the Federal Way area it is quite an adventure going to Redmond.

Black Raven does bottle certain beers on a sporadic basis, but right now they only sell them at the brewery and Malt and Vine over in Remond.

andylsun

PIcked up some Racer 5 IPA and Sierra Nevada hoptimum - Bevmo confirm they don't carry Russian River as they don't have refrigerated stock rooms.

pypuB.jpg

100 IBU's, this is going to be fun

Edit: OK, Hoptimum is too bitter for me - really overpowering. I could finish the bottle, but didn't enjoy it as much as other IIPA's (Shipyard Imperial XXXX).

ksan

My evening at the Aerospace engineering section at KTH (Royal Institute of Techology in Stockholm) tonight
Only two of the beers, but fuck they were amazing. Budvar is probably one of the best lagers and Rochefort 10 omg

andylsun

Phew. It's a very rainy night in the bay area but found some.

One of these beers is not like the others... one of these beers is not the same

kYPNxl.jpg

As for Pliny the Elder - thanks to the girl in Whole Foods who told me where to find it. It's also fresh, bottled 8 days ago. Tastes much smoother than I expected, and need to make sure I go slow... more citrus/grapefruit than I normally like, but still very nice.

Second hoptimum went down much better than the first - perhaps it was colder, or the fact I'd not had any other beer on the day I tried it.

Tesseract

Banned
glad this thread popped up. i'm drinking molson golden and really enjoying it. it's one of the better cheaper beers i've tasted, but i'm not much of a connoisseur.

Started my second homebrewing batch. Getting back in the groove again. Not following a recipe just throwing shit in this time. Apples and cinnamin and some other junk I forgot about. Going to be awesome.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

It isn't just that, Russian River doesn't distribute to BevMo at all. In general, Russian River makes very little Pliny the Elder and its rarely in stock even at places that carry it. I'm not sure what their deal is.

fenners

Started my second homebrewing batch. Getting back in the groove again. Not following a recipe just throwing shit in this time. Apples and cinnamin and some other junk I forgot about. Going to be awesome.

Good luck with that... ;)

Kegging my ESB today - perfect timing as I kicked the keg of Amber Ale last night ;) Need to brew next weekend to keep the pipeline flowing... Going to do my first all grain, a basic IPA I got the receipe from HBT.

Trying this one for the first time tonight:

82669.jpg

Loving it. Nose isn't anything special, but there are some very interesting flavors in there. Very refreshing too. The finish is great and just leaves me wanting more.

Love Innis&Gunn, but blonde is probably my least favourtite.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They make as much Pliny as they can.

I didn't say they didn't; at least I didn't mean it like they make a small amount of it vis a vis their brewing capacity. I mean more that they just don't make a lot of beer in general compared to other brewers. Given their popularity and limited distribution network, it would seem like they could make more.

I didn't say they didn't; at least I didn't mean it like they make a small amount of it vis a vis their brewing capacity. I mean more that they just don't make a lot of beer in general compared to other brewers. Given their popularity and limited distribution network, it would seem like they could make more.

They're at capacity. Vinny would have to put down some serious cash to expand. Plus, they might not want to.

From 2010:

Interviewer: Fans are clamoring for your beers—more Pliny the Younger, more Russian River beers in bottles. How do you plan to face the demand? Will you increase your production? Any chance you'll increase your distribution area?

Vinny: Allocations is a big part of my job now. Natalie and I are very focused on not growing too fast. Instead we focus on improving the quality of our beer and the brewery's efficiency.
We are adding an automated corker and wire hooder to our bottling line to cut three days off bottling when we do a sour/barrel aged bottle run and cut our bottling days in half when filling Belgian styles such as Damnation. We are also going 100% solar at our production brewery, which will save us a lot of money in the long run, plus it's right thing to do.
I spend a lot of time allocating for both local distribution and our distributors. We do the best we can to supply all the markets we sell into. The bottom line: to not let our brewpub run out of beer—at the end of the day the brewpub is still the foundation of our business. That said, we hope to add another fermenter to our production brewery this year to help increase the production of Pliny the Elder and but allow us to use some of our current tanks for more Blind Pig IPA, Belgian style beers, and sour beers.

We are all about slow growth and not just growing and growing and growing just for sake of growth or money—that really is not our style. There will always be a few pissed-off consumers out there who don't understand why they can't get our beer. They can't understand why we just don't keep growing. But it's why our beer quality has stayed high, particularly with hoppy beers which don't sit on a shelf too long at the store. This keeps the hoppy beers tasting fresh.

Angry Grimace

They're at capacity. Vinny would have to put down some serious cash to expand. Plus, they might not want to.

I didn't visit RR's brewery when I was in Santa Rosa, but they must not be very large at all. I mean, Ballast Point's production brewery is not a particularly large building and they distribute to like 18 states now, and just entered Texas and Ohio.

More from that same interview.

I don't want any new accounts, I just want our current accounts—whether we distribute directly to them or to one of our beer distributors—to be able to have a more steady supply of RRBC beer.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I didn't visit RR's brewery when I was in Santa Rosa, but they must not be very large at all. I mean, Ballast Point's production brewery is not a particularly large building and they distribute to like 18 states now, and just entered Texas and Ohio.

Ballast Point doesn't have anywhere NEAR the market penetration that Russian River has. They sell more beer at their current accounts than Ballast Point does and as such requires more beer to satisfy them. Given two equally sized breweries, the one with higher popularity will be able to satisfy far less markets.

Angry Grimace

Ballast Point doesn't have anywhere NEAR the market penetration that Russian River has. They sell more beer at their current accounts than Ballast Point does and as such requires more beer to satisfy them. Given two equally sized breweries, the one with higher popularity will be able to satisfy far less markets.

Sure, but I'm not entirely I'm understanding what you're getting at. Whether they sell more beer to their individual accounts doesn't really tell us anything if they have significantly less accounts than another brewery does, which as far as I can, they do. Are they selling just as much beer overall? I can't imagine the barrel aged sour stuff moves particularly quickly at that price point.

N6DFL.jpg

Chainbreaker is a new year round addition to Deschutes' lineup. Got a bottle of Winter 2012 Blue Dot, three bottles of Fremont's limited run Cowiche Canyon IPA (Citra & Simcoe) and a Hopknob that my parents brought back from Bend, OR.

Im 21 and Im planning on having my first drink on Saturday, what would be a good beginner beer? Additionally how much should I consume? I know its based on your body weight ( I weigh 270) but Im thinking one or two bottles will be my limit. I am by no means drinking to just get stupidly drunk

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Im 21 and Im planning on having my first drink on Saturday, what would be a good beginner beer? Additionally how much should I consume? I know its based on your body weight ( I weigh 270) but Im thinking one or two bottles will be my limit. I am by no means drinking to just get stupidly drunk

Get yourself some Sam Adams Boston Lager. Over the course of about 4-5 hours you could probably handle 4-5 beers while not being completely drunk. You will probably feel the effects though. Less so if you drink light beers, more so if you drink bigger beers like IPAs or other 6.5%+ beers.

One or two beers is a fine amount to stop at, especially if you want to keep all your wits about you while you are still new to drinking. I myself try not to drink more than 1 or 2 at a time. Moderation is underrepresented in the craft beer community.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

The first beer I had that I really enjoyed was Magic Hat #9.

Regarding moderation, drink until you start to get "that feeling", then stop. It may be 2 beers, it may be 6 beers. But if you're worried about getting super drunk, just drink until you're comfortable, and then call it a day. If anyone gives you shit, tell them to fuck off. :)

The first beer I had that I really enjoyed was Magic Hat #9.

Regarding moderation, drink until you start to get "that feeling", then stop. It may be 2 beers, it may be 6 beers. But if you're worried about getting super drunk, just drink until you're comfortable, and then call it a day. If anyone gives you shit, tell them to fuck off. :)

Oh I know. I use to think that drinking was a super bad thing because my ex best friend would get drink and I would just watch him throw up and fall all over the place. And when I lived in a dorm I bunch of people would drink, get loud and break things. But I've met some stand up people who drink, and I feel like if I drink in moderation and control myself then everything will be okay.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Oh I know. I use to think that drinking was a super bad thing because my ex best friend would get drink and I would just watch him throw up and fall all over the place. And when I lived in a dorm I bunch of people would drink, get loud and break things. But I've met some stand up people who drink, and I feel like if I drink in moderation and control myself then everything will be okay.

Yeah, realistically, moderation is the best way to drink. I personally LOVE the taste of a good beer (as many people in this thread do), and it's harder to appreciate the flavors when you're grossly intoxicated. :p

Decado

My evening at the Aerospace engineering section at KTH (Royal Institute of Techology in Stockholm) tonight

Only two of the beers, but fuck they were amazing. Budvar is probably one of the best lagers and Rochefort 10 omg
Have you ever had an aged Rochefort 10? I had a 7-year old when I visited Belgium last year...soooo smooth. I miss Antwerp :(

Moderation is the key. I'm a married guy with a kid who homebrews and cellars beer, but I typically only drink once a week, twice at the most. It's normally one or two beers, no more.

Malvolio

A good practice to get in is to drink water between beers. If you happen to drink more than you planned on, be sure to drink plenty of water before you go to bed as well. That will help in eliminating any possible hangover.

Le-mo

Gaf, recommend me some beers that I might like. I'm the only person that I know that doesn't like the taste of beers. I have only tried a limited range of beers which includes Heineken, Corona, Budlight, Budweiser and Fat Tires. Corona with lime is manageable, but I CAN'T stand the taste of Heineken. I was halfway through watching a documentary about beer by the Discovery Channel on Netflix when I stopped and decided to give it another shot and so I came here for some recommendations. I'm leaning toward wheat beer since I heard it has a sweet taste to it.

Gaf, recommend me some beers that I might like. I'm the only person that I know that doesn't like the taste of beers. I have only tried a limited range of beers which includes Heineken, Corona, Budlight, Budweiser and Fat Tires. Corona with lime is manageable, but I CAN'T stand the taste of Heineken. I was halfway through watching a documentary about beer by the Discovery Channel on Netflix when I stopped and decided to give it another shot and so I came here for some recommendations. I'm leaning toward wheat beer since I heard it has a sweet taste to it.

For wheat, I'd go with an easy to find (depending on where you are) Boulevard Wheat, Hoegaarden (The Belgian wit many American Wheat's ie Blue Moon are based off), New Belgian's Sunshine Wheat, or Blue Moon. The best advice I can give, however, it so find a local brewpub, even something like a BJ's or Rock Bottom and go get a line of tasters. They will give you 6-12 3-5oz tasters of most of their beers and if you have a decent bartender, they will give you a quick description of each beer. That is the best way to find styles you enjoy.

h3ro

Finally found some Abita Strawberry! Can't wait to try this, been hearing rave reviews for such a long time.

Ooexhl.jpg

Top Bottom