• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

East coast beer GAF, question. I find myself in Boston all weekend and realized I am somewhat lacking in the east coast beer knowledge department. Anything in particular I should try to pick up?

East coast beer GAF, question. I find myself in Boston all weekend and realized I am somewhat lacking in the east coast beer knowledge department. Anything in particular I should try to pick up?

Get some beer from Vermont if you can. Heady Topper is always talked about on the east coast BA forums, but I don't remember who makes it.

PG2G

Tried the Lost Abbey - Lost & Found last night... it was pretty bad. Almost tasted like someone dropped a cigarette bud in :p

Also had a Russian Rivers Damnation, which is now pretty high on my list.

Malvolio

Tried the Lost Abbey - Lost & Found last night... it was pretty bad. Almost tasted like someone dropped a cigarette bud in :p

Also had a Russian Rivers Damnation, which is now pretty high on my list.

I really enjoy Lost Abbey, their Angel's Share is pretty amazing, but they have a known issue with their bottling. I've seen too many of their beers opened only to find no carbonation and the beer inside ruined. Not sure if that's what happened to you, but at the price they charge they really need to find a solution. It's such a letdown to cellar one of their beers only to find it was a complete waste of money, time and storage space.

I really enjoy Lost Abbey, their Angel's Share is pretty amazing, but they have a known issue with their bottling. I've seen too many of their beers opened only to find no carbonation and the beer inside ruined. Not sure if that's what happened to you, but at the price they charge they really need to find a solution. It's such a letdown to cellar one of their beers only to find it was a complete waste of money, time and storage space.

Hair of the Dog has a similar propblem with carbonation (or lack thereof). I've never personally encountered it, but it's really common on Beer Advocate.

thespot84

man i have a lost in found in the fridge, hope this doesn't happen.

http://chalicefactory.stellaartois.com/

Giving away 1000 chalices per day apparently. Just have to go through their silly tour thing. They are sending me one they say.

Thanks, got one myself. Would be cool if it came in a wood box like you see in there, but I'm pretty sure it won't.

Anyway had a fantastic brew the other night, Brooklyn Brewery Chocolate Stout. Loved the taste and it was super smooth. I had this at another place in town, but I found out they sell it at the bar I regular.

Canuck76

Banned
Finally found some Abita Strawberry! Can't wait to try this, been hearing rave reviews for such a long time.

Ooexhl.jpg

That stuffs alright.

Purple haze is where its at in terms of Abita

PG2G

Thanks for the heads up. If I can find it on tap somewhere I'll be sure to give it another try

LProtag

I just got a bottle of Trappistes Rochefort 10 because I've been meaning to try it.

What kind of glass should I put it in? I have a La Fin du Monde tulip glass, is that good enough?

I just got a bottle of Trappistes Rochefort 10 because I've been meaning to try it.

What kind of glass should I put it in? I have a La Fin du Monde tulip glass, is that good enough?

Of course. No need to be so anal about your glassware. You're already ten steps ahead of the masses by not drinking straight from the bottle.

Heading to Schlafly's annual Repeal of Prohibition festival tomorrow. The beer list:

Schlafly Beer – St. Louis, MO
Vienna Lager – 4.0% ABV / 21 IBU
Hefeweizen – 4.1% ABV / 16 IBU
Raspberry Hefeweizen – 4.1% ABV / 16 IBU
Pale Ale – 4.4% ABV / 25 IBU
Summer Lager 4.5% ABV / 17 IBU
Kölsch – 4.8% ABV / 25 IBU
Amarillo Session Ale – 5.0% ABV / 26 IBU
Pilsner – 5.0% ABV / 30 IBU
Dry - Hopped Marzen – 5.5% ABV / 25 IBU
Yakima Wheat Ale – 5.5% ABV / 40 IBU
Coffee Stout - 5.7% ABV / 30 IBU
Oatmeal Stout – 5.7% ABV / 40 IBU
Dry-Hopped APA – 5.9% ABV / 50 IBU
Cocoa Stout – 7.0 % ABV / 30 IBU
Export IPA – 7.2% ABV / 65 IBU
American IPA (cask) – 7.2% ABV / 65 IBU
Apple Pie Cider – 7.9% ABV
Irish Extra Stout – 8% ABV / 45 IBU

Deep Ellum Brewing Co. – Dallas, TX
Rye Pils - 4.6% ABV / 38 IBU
Double Brown Stout - 7 % ABV / 27 IBU
Deep Ellum IPA - 7% ABV / 70 IBU
Dream Crusher Double Rye IPA - 10.4% ABV / 100+ IBUs
Darkest Hour Rye Imperial Stout - 11% ABV / 60 IBUs

Rahr & Sons Brewing Co. – Fort Worth, TX
Rahr’s Blonde – 4.75% ABV/ 20 IBU
Texas Red – Amber Lager – 4.75% ABV /25 IBU
Ugly Pug – Schwarzbier – 4.75% ABV / 27 IBU
Stormcloud IPA – 6% ABV / 70 IBU
Bucking Bock – 7.5% ABV / 35 IBU

Real Ale Brewing Co. – Blanco, TX
Firemans #4 Blonde Ale - 5.1% ABV / 23 IBU
Lost Gold IPA - 6.6% ABV / 63 IBU
Phoenixx Double Extra Special Bitter -7.2 % ABV / 60 IBU
Devil’s Backbone Tripel - 8.1% ABV / 31 IBU 15th Anniversary Ale - 9.8% ABV / 70 IBU

Tomorrow is gonna be a good day

Tunic

Did you get to enjoy the Rochefort 10? What did you think of it? It is by far one of my favorite beers of all time! For comparisons the beer tasted very similar to Westvleteren 12 when I was lucky to have that a couple years back side by side.

fenners

Of course. No need to be so anal about your glassware. You're already ten steps ahead of the masses by not drinking straight from the bottle.

Heading to Schlafly's annual Repeal of Prohibition festival tomorrow. The beer list:

Real Ale Brewing Co. – Blanco, TX
Phoenixx Double Extra Special Bitter -7.2 % ABV / 60 IBU

Tomorrow is gonna be a good day

Love that Pheonixx ESB. Their best beer by far - avoid the completely overrated Firemans Four by the way.

Love that Pheonixx ESB. Their best beer by far - avoid the completely overrated Firemans Four by the way.

Tickets were 25 and include unlimited tastings so I'll probably hit it up anyway. None of these TX breweries distribute here so if I don't try it today I'll probably never get to. Appreciate the input though

Anyone entering Longshot this year? Or have in the past?

Sleepy

I don't know what is wrong with me or what happened...I can't stand the beer I used to love. Picked up Torpedo last week, a go-to staple, and found it really terrible. Same for every style I used to like that I have bought over the last few months (Sierra pale, Rye/Lagunitas/Stone/Dogfish/Bell's). I am drinking Bud right now...

What the fuck happened to me? I feel a shell of my former self.

LProtag

Did you get to enjoy the Rochefort 10? What did you think of it? It is by far one of my favorite beers of all time! For comparisons the beer tasted very similar to Westvleteren 12 when I was lucky to have that a couple years back side by side.

Haven't had it yet actually. Wasn't feeling too great after getting back from shopping and I'm busy all weekend. Going to save it for sometime when I can sit around and relax for a bit.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'll be there (for the 7th year in a row). Not looking forward to the CF that it's become but still a good time to be had. You heading to Flossmoor Friday night?

CF? Also, my family lives in the Chicago suburbs over near Mokena/Frankfort/Orland Park, so that's likely where I'll be relaxing. I'm not against a little trip though haha.

This week's cask beer at Fremont is Interurban IPA with rambutan. Rambutan, according to the brewery, is "a tasty tasty fruit." Had a pint, really good.

Picked up a bottle of New Glarus Raspberry Tart. Can't wait to crack it open this weekend. Very tasty stuff if you can get your hands on a bottle. Even people who don't like beer like this.
D2oIE.jpg

Anyone ever have any of the goose island sour beers? I've only heard of them in legend...

And they're expensive. The one time I went to the brewery I passed because of the price. Still never tried 'em. :(

Anyone ever have any of the goose island sour beers? I've only heard of them in legend...

And they're expensive. The one time I went to the brewery I passed because of the price. Still never tried 'em. :(

Sour/wild ales tend to be more expensive as they take more time/effort to make. 375 ml bottles of Russian River -ation beers are $10-$13 each.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Giving away 1000 chalices per day apparently. Just have to go through their silly tour thing. They are sending me one they say.

Do you have to actually drink Stella and then pretend it's a revelation for not being Budweiser (despite being owned by Budweiser)

Also:

The recent lease of a new barrel warehouse on AB’s dime has allowed Goose Island to double the size of its barrel program and will soon lead to Bourbon County Stout being made available available year-round.

http://beerstreetjournal.com/goose-island-brewings-bourbon-county-to-be-year-round/

andylsun

One on the way to me! Free glasses are always good glasses.

I managed to transport a Pliny the Elder back from CA in my suitcase. Will be drinking that this weekend.

On the homebrew front, my IPA has been bubbling for 3 1/2 weeks in secondary and still going (SG 1.015 last weekend). I brewed a Cream Ale over the weekend and that's going great as well. Due to the heat, both fermenters are in water baths, with damp towels to cool them. It was 92F here yesterday and 85F today.

Sour/wild ales tend to be more expensive as they take more time/effort to make. 375 ml bottles of Russian River -ation beers are $10-$13 each.

What are some good wild or tart ales? I don't think I've ever had any. I either don't know where to look at my beer store, or they don't carry them.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
This weekend's haul

tyRX7l.jpg

Being new to beer is fun, so much to try :)

Great choices! I'm a slave to Belgium beer. St. Bernardus is a fav, in fact I bought a bottle of their Abt 12 today. I need to post some pics later, I also picked up 4 new glasses.

Regarding my last post I talked to my new beer store guy about all that and he directed me to some bam biere farmhouse ale. Not sure if it's the same thing or not but it's pretty good. Definitely some tart.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So Shift is amazing. I'm no good at rating and describing beers, but if you enjoy Pale Ales or IPAs, definitely worth picking up a 4-pack.

Top Bottom