• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

codhand

I'm in the mood for something bitter and chocolatey, what do you all recommend?

Old Engine Oil, no seriously.

86116.jpg

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
My haul from yesterday. I decided to get only a couple of things that I'd had in the past, and focus on getting all new stuffs.

First up, new glassware. I especially like the Kasteel one with the building built into the stem:

uH8tP.jpg

h8n6N.jpg

usbFp.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Nice grabs Diseased Yak!

My recent stuff:

208409e0899b11e180d51231380fcd7e_7.jpg

The First Snow Ale I had (coworker gave me 4 bottles...I drank one). Was not a fan. :(

Regarding my last post I talked to my new beer store guy about all that and he directed me to some bam biere farmhouse ale. Not sure if it's the same thing or not but it's pretty good. Definitely some tart.

A traditional farmhouse is going to use one of the saison yeasts. The sour beers we are talking about generally use either Lactobacillus, Brettanomyces, or Pediococcus strains. They will be punch you in the fave sour. Think one of those warhead candies. Some common ones are New Belgium's La Folie, Clutch, Kick, and Eric's Ale, and Monk's Cafe. I really like La Folie. Isn't there a brewery that does only sour ales? Jolly Pumpkin I think?

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I picked up some of this on the way home yesterday:

This beer really is awesome. I love coconut and it adds just the right amount of flavor.

Hmm, I actually rank this is one of the worst beers I've ever tasted as the coconut is so overpowering and artificial tasting. Really terrible compared to the other beers you can get from Kona Brewing Co.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
A traditional farmhouse is going to use one of the saison yeasts. The sour beers we are talking about generally use either Lactobacillus, Brettanomyces, or Pediococcus strains. They will be punch you in the fave sour. Think one of those warhead candies. Some common ones are New Belgium's La Folie, Clutch, Kick, and Eric's Ale, and Monk's Cafe. I really like La Folie. Isn't there a brewery that does only sour ales? Jolly Pumpkin I think?

Farmhouse beers can have all sorts of shit in them, including wild yeast and bacteria. Fantome is a typical example.

Ah yeah the sour wasn't near that pronounced. I don't recall any of those being in a store I've seen. I'll try them at some point I suppose. Even if it is years down the line when I make it back to goose island.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
just sealed my latest 5 gal batch. 6 oz. of chinook, centennial, and cascade hops AND 5ml of hopshot hop extract. now waiting patiently for the bubbly on the airlock to confirm the yeast is doing its thing.

=)

fenners

just sealed my latest 5 gal batch. 6 oz. of chinook, centennial, and cascade hops AND 5ml of hopshot hop extract. now waiting patiently for the bubbly on the airlock to confirm the yeast is doing its thing.

=)

That, sir, is one hell of a lot of hops for 5 gallons!

What I did for beer today:
- Finished my ghetto fermentation chamber consisting of a heavy duty cardboard box, 1/2 inch pink insulation+tape, and a mini fridge with its door off. Holding a solid 62 degrees so far which is exactly what I hoped for here in Texas.
- Went looking for some new Jester King, ended up with a bottle of "Red and Blue" from Dogfish Head & some Wee Scottish Heavy from a brewer I've never heard. Thanks, HEB.
- Picked up my ingredients for a brewday tomorrow - a Sierra Nevada-like pale ale from HBT. Straightforward recipe (3 types of grain, 2 types of hops) so should help me dial in my BIAB process.
- While making room for my fermenter box + fridge, discovered two old bottles of homebrew tucked away in some unused bottle boxes (I keg now). Tastes like one of my first batches of extract 70 Shilling a year ago.... More malty than it was back then, obviously, pretty "plain" & dull. I've definitely improved as a brewer.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
That, sir, is one hell of a lot of hops for 5 gallons!

What I did for beer today:
- Finished my ghetto fermentation chamber consisting of a heavy duty cardboard box, 1/2 inch pink insulation+tape, and a mini fridge with its door off. Holding a solid 62 degrees so far which is exactly what I hoped for here in Texas.
- Went looking for some new Jester King, ended up with a bottle of "Red and Blue" from Dogfish Head & some Wee Scottish Heavy from a brewer I've never heard. Thanks, HEB.
- Picked up my ingredients for a brewday tomorrow - a Sierra Nevada-like pale ale from HBT. Straightforward recipe (3 types of grain, 2 types of hops) so should help me dial in my BIAB process.
- While making room for my fermenter box + fridge, discovered two old bottles of homebrew tucked away in some unused bottle boxes (I keg now). Tastes like one of my first batches of extract 70 Shilling a year ago.... More malty than it was back then, obviously, pretty "plain" & dull. I've definitely improved as a brewer.

I have used 24 oz in 5 gallons for a double ipa. It was quite good.

So Shift is amazing. I'm no good at rating and describing beers, but if you enjoy Pale Ales or IPAs, definitely worth picking up a 4-pack.

I agree. Having one now and this will probably be my official bonfire/bbq beer. Something I can enjoy, yet is also easily approachable for the Bud/Boulevard crowd.

HiResDes

Really enjoying some Bell's Oberon, despite the cold air.

It's no Two-Hearted, but it does the job.

Oberon is a fantastic session beer, one of the best IMO. I think you have to mix it up a little otherwise your palette will suffer. I love the really high end stuff, but I can also sit down and enjoy a Warsteiner Dunkel as I'm doing now just the same.

Talon

Oberon is a fantastic session beer, one of the best IMO. I think you have to mix it up a little otherwise your palette will suffer. I love the really high end stuff, but I can also sit down and enjoy a Warsteiner Dunkel as I'm doing now just the same.
I found a neighborhood wine shop that's run by a family of beer geeks, so I've been trying out a bunch of different beers recently.

My love of Bell's has been reaffirmed as of late.

Got a call earlier from the beer distributor. Case of 312 I ordered is in.
Last time they had it in I was the only person who bought it. Local drunks have no idea how good it is.

mMMtL.jpg

I picked up some of this on the way home yesterday:

This beer really is awesome. I love coconut and it adds just the right amount of flavor.

I am intrigued by this. I visited the Kona Brewery when I was on vacation last year and sampled some of their stuff. I wonder if I can find this at my local beer store in NY.

thespot84

I agree. Having one now and this will probably be my official bonfire/bbq beer. Something I can enjoy, yet is also easily approachable for the Bud/Boulevard crowd.

yeah bought a 4 pack last night, found it surprisingly drinkable, kinda sweet with a hoppy finish. Great bbq beer.

1st batch wasn't that great from homebrewing (from when I followed a recipe). But just cracked the second batch (from where I just threw handfulls of shit together) and man it's super amazing if I do say so myself.

fenners

Jester King's "Boxer's Revenge" has officially kicked my arse tonight. Those guys can do no wrong.

I know they're slowly widening their distribution (other states got this beer first, thanks TABC!) - if you get the chance to try their Black Metal, or anything bar Petit Prince, do so. *Great* beers. Le Petit Prince is good, just doesn't do them justice as it's a very low alcohol table beer.

And congrats, SteveWinwood ;) My first beer in my fermenter is maturing nicely - smelling nice from the airlock after a week at a steady 62/64. Woot!

I don't get the love for Shift. I really don't like any of New Belgium's non-Lips of Faith beers, to be honest. The Lips of Faith stuff is top-notch, though.

Enjoying a bomber of Green Flash's Palate Wrecker tonight.

andylsun

dL6tjm.jpg

My first ever home brewed beer. IPA with cascade hops and speciality grains. Turned out great, and I couldn't wait to open a bottle. Needs a bit longer in the bottle to fully carbonate, but it tastes awesome and had good head, aroma and taste!

Got a Cream Ale going into bottles next weekend, and then will do an all-grain ESB. This brewing lark is fun!

fenners

My first ever home brewed beer. IPA with cascade hops and speciality grains. Turned out great, and I couldn't wait to open a bottle. Needs a bit longer in the bottle to fully carbonate, but it tastes awesome and had good head, aroma and taste!

Got a Cream Ale going into bottles next weekend, and then will do an all-grain ESB. This brewing lark is fun!

Congrats! I love homebrewing. Tried to pour a glass of my Belgian Golden Ale tonight & I *finally* kicked the keg, which means I can tap my IPA. Pulled the dryhops out of it tonight & it smelled great - it's my first all-grain brew.

When I kicked the keg tonight, meant I had to drink from the /other/ tap, a ESB. Love that style of brew - the malt focused "heavy" from Scotland is what I grew up on as a drinker, and still love despite the hops craze here in the US ;) And it works great for homebrew IMO as it's such a straightforward style focused on the grain.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I disagree with the love for Koko Brown. The coconut flavor is way too overpowering. It's pretty nasty actually.

HiResDes

I'm visiting Ireland in a few weeks and I'm wondering what are some good summer beers to have with lunch and dinner over there?

Sunburnt Irish Red by Eight Degrees
TSB by Porterhouse
Friar Weisse by Franciscan Well
Bay Lager by Galway Bay
Bock By Messrs Maguire
Metalman Pale Ale by Metalman Brewery

Top Bottom