• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Dark Lord? Amazing beer.

Dark Lord Day? A fucking mess. ZERO organization and lack of direction turned me off. The only way I'll go again is if I manage to get tickets to Group A.

I managed to get a total of 6 Dark Lords (my dad only wanted one, so I bought his other two while our friend bought one), a bottle of Mutiny the Mollusk, and a bottle of Barrel Aged Alpha Klaus (they had a few left that you could ask for). Excited about all the beer, but again - the day was disappointing.

Malvolio

Dark Lord? Amazing beer.

Dark Lord Day? A fucking mess. ZERO organization and lack of direction turned me off. The only way I'll go again is if I manage to get tickets to Group A.

I managed to get a total of 6 Dark Lords (my dad only wanted one, so I bought his other two while our friend bought one), a bottle of Mutiny the Mollusk, and a bottle of Barrel Aged Alpha Klaus (they had a few left that you could ask for). Excited about all the beer, but again - the day was disappointing.

It really was a mess, but better than past years is what I was told. I spent the majority of the day being the line holder for my group in the brew pub line. Took over four hours to get in, but Dark Lord on tap was too much to resist. I certainly won't wait in that line again, but I'm glad I've done it at least once. I think the plan for next year is to do less waiting in line all day and more hanging out near the car and only heading to the brewery when our ticket window comes up.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It really was a mess, but better than past years is what I was told. I spent the majority of the day being the line holder for my group in the brew pub line. Took over four hours to get in, but Dark Lord on tap was too much to resist. I certainly won't wait in that line again, but I'm glad I've done it at least once. I think the plan for next year is to do less waiting in line all day and more hanging out near the car and only heading to the brewery when our ticket window comes up.

The problem with the ticket window thing was that there was no organization to that, either. We waited in line for like, 3 hours, only to realize the entrance to the main line would turn into a mess of people shoving their way in (rather than waiting in line).

Like I said, I'll consider going if we can get tickets to Group A. I wanted that Vanilla Bean brew, but they sold out of that first thing. :\

Malvolio

The problem with the ticket window thing was that there was no organization to that, either. We waited in line for like, 3 hours, only to realize the entrance to the main line would turn into a mess of people shoving their way in (rather than waiting in line).

Like I said, I'll consider going if we can get tickets to Group A. I wanted that Vanilla Bean brew, but they sold out of that first thing. :\

There were very similar issues with the Brew Pub line. While most people spent the majority of the day patiently waiting in line there were plenty of people that just crowded the entrance and managed to slip in. It was getting pretty nasty by the time I got to the door. A few confrontations were brewing that luckily didn't spill into something larger. There were good people in line though. The guys in front of us shared their BCS and King Henry with us which was a nice treat. I set them up with some Hopslams in return, which wasn't entirely even in trade, but they seemed ok with it.

Our group was very lucky in that we had all group A tickets. Of the 6 of us that went through 5 of us won golden tickets and the one guy that didn't got one on his second ticket in group B. So we managed to walk out with 6 BA Dark Lords. I picked up a De Muerte myself as three of the others grabbed Vanilla. Had to grab a Mutiny as well and can't wait to give that one a try.

HiResDes

Currently working on a sixpack of 21st Amendment's Hell or High Watermelon Wheat beer, which I must say is a bit odd as the watermelon flavor is a bit more pronounced than I would have originally thought...And surprisingly it kinda works. Will post pics if desired

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Currently working on a sixpack of 21st Amendment's Hell or High Watermelon Wheat beer, which I must say is a bit odd as the watermelon flavor is a bit more pronounced than I would have originally thought...And surprisingly it kinda works. Will post pics if desired

I have a can of Plead the 5th in my fridge right now. REALLY excited to try it based on it's praise!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
had a blue moon while I was studying last night. never again

Really? You hated it that much? I find it to be a nice option when I'm out at BWW's and feel like something refreshing on tap. Sure, it's not...Well...Anything in my fridge, haha. But it's not THAT bad...

Really? You hated it that much? I find it to be a nice option when I'm out at BWW's and feel like something refreshing on tap. Sure, it's not...Well...Anything in my fridge, haha. But it's not THAT bad...

There was nothing wrong with the beer, I just found it hard to concentrate on circuits after. I'm a light weight

Chris R

Pics! Fruity beers are great (my favorite beer I'd drink non-stop if I could is a hard apple ale, goes down like fucking apple juice).

Tunic

Picked up a 6 pack of Elysian The Immortal IPA to enjoy tonight. I have enjoyed it before and it was an easy purchase to make, even more so with it being on sale too!

yacobod

Banned
I had a group A ticket for 3Fs Dark Lord Day. Got 8 bottles of the regular and a bottle of vanilla bean, i could have gotten another bottle but didn't have enough cash on hand to get the 2nd one. Bottle 3 of 934.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I had a group A ticket for 3Fs Dark Lord Day. Got 8 bottles of the regular and a bottle of vanilla bean, i could have gotten another bottle but didn't have enough cash on hand to get the 2nd one. Bottle 3 of 934.

You lucky bastard. I would KILL for some of that Vanilla Bean...

This is what I'm drinking tonight:

90-minute-ipa.jpg

Holler.

andylsun

My wife bought me a corny keg yesterday! It has new seals and holds pressure great.

YYX3Xm.jpg

Now to brew something to fill it with. Thinking an ESB. Thank goodness I don't need to bottle anymore - the least fun part of the process.

Also picked up some PBW for cleaning it out. Amazing stuff, but don't get it near teflon coated pans/trays. It will lift the teflon layer straight off.

Going to Keg condition at first then I only need the small CO2 squibs to serve. Will probably end up having to pick up more kegs as I crank out more beer.

AcridMeat

Banned
deschutes%20red%20chair%20nwpa.jpg

Saw this in the grocery store and figured I'd give it a try. I'm so glad I did, it's 80+ degrees out and this is so refreshing.

HiResDes

Today's pick up

NPg19l.jpg

DAMN SON'

I just picked up some Goose Island Matilda and Sweet Action, which are almost too easy to drink. Sweet Action is so smooth that even non-beer enthusiasts would probably love it and I love the tallboy cans it comes in...

Seth C

Well, beer drinkers, I'm currently in Chicago. Any bottles I should pick up while here? Any places I should hit up for food and beer? Note that I am not a hophead.

HiResDes

Eh, been several times. I like the pizza (but had Pequod's last night) but not the beer selection. I'm really looking for great beer first and good/cheap food second.

Oh my fault was thinking in a vice versa manner. If you go to Goose Island try the Matilda for sure!

Seth C

Oh my fault was thinking in a vice versa manner. If you go to Goose Island try the Matilda for sure!

I'll probably stop by there tomorrow but will be drinking the stuff they don't bottle. I've had Matilda, Pepe Nero, etc. I do want to try their milk stout that is on tap right now. Would love to bring back some bottles of the rare stuff (Bourbon County Coffee Stout/King Henry) but the only places that have it don't sell it to take away.

Tunic

My fiancé purchased a 12 pack of Lagunitas IPA to get a head start on celebrating my birthday! I will be enjoying some tonight!

depths20XX

As primarily a whiskey drinker I've been trying to get into different beers, never had much of the good stuff before.

Past week or so I've had:

Old Rasputin
Dirty Bastard
Founder's Porter

Any recommendations on some other stuff to try that would be fairly easy to find? I've found that I like stouts.

RELAYER

Banned
Resorted to buying a sixer of Sam Adams Alpine Springs this week just to have something new to try.

Verdict? AVOID.
By far the worst beer I've ever had from them, simply gross.

eh I guess it isn't bad..

Currently going back and forth between a pale ale I made with wort from a local brewery.
The Wort:
Basic APA wort
Cooled, unaerated and unyeasted
Recipe:
79% 2-Row Brewer's Malt
8% Caramel 10
8% Caramel 20
5% Munich Malt
26 IBU, Bittered with Galena Hops
Whirlpool Cascade Hop Addition equivalent to 2/3 oz in 5 gallons
1.056 Original Gravity

I fermented it with Cal Ale yeast and dry hopped w/ 1oz Cascade and 1oz Centennial.

It is currently kegged and to one glass I have added 1mL of Apricot extract. The big question is do I do the whole keg. Hmm decisions, decisions. I best have a few more glasses...

Seth C

So I went on a beer run and maybe got a little bit out of control...

Pd0zs.jpg

XRd8H.jpg

qfc67.jpg

The growler of Samurai Gazebo from Three Floyd's isn't pictured. I would have given them $100 to let me take home a growler of Barrel Aged Robert the Bruce with Raspberries but sadly they were having none of that.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Looks like someone got their hands on some wonderful 3 Floyd's brews! Nice! I have a bottle of Mutiny next to my 5 bottles of Dark Lord and my bottle of BA Alpha Klaus that I'm looking forward to drinking.

Seeing all these fantastic looking beers is making me realize that my sweet beer bottle collection I have is probably going to have to get thrown away soon. I already have some like, 40 different bottles on display...But I'm going to run out of room. :(

Seth C

Yeah, I stopped by Three Floyd's once on the way up to Chicago and one on the return trip. Sad that I missed Dark Lord, as I've never had it, but maybe next year.

I used to enjoy Blue Moon and more recently Stella Artois. But going gluten free has stopped all of that. Stupid food sensitivities. At least there is still whiskey, since distilled spirits are blissfully sans gluten!

gwarm01

dLy50.jpg

Verdict: I do not need to buy a 6-pack of something that is 9.6% alcohol. Tastes good though, even if I feel sick as a dog today.

Seth C

Anyone ever try banana bread beer?

Sounds mad.

No, but my local brewery (Country Boy in Lexington, KY -- everyone should come check it out) has some in the fermentation tank right now. I have had their peanut butter chocolate stout and tonight I will be having their beer with bourbon soaked vanilla beans (Shotgun Wedding).

Top Bottom