• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

dLy50.jpg

Verdict: I do not need to buy a 6-pack of something that is 9.6% alcohol. Tastes good though, even if I feel sick as a dog today.

Yes, you do need to buy a 6-pack of them. Drink them over the course of a few weeks. If you're drinking 96 oz. of barleywine at once, you've got a problem.

I really like Bigfoot.

yacobod

Banned
It's a Polish beer. Tasty.
ya zywiec isn't bad, if you like the polish pilsner you can try out okocim as well.

The growler of Samurai Gazebo from Three Floyd's isn't pictured. I would have given them $100 to let me take home a growler of Barrel Aged Robert the Bruce with Raspberries but sadly they were having none of that.

Zombie Dust has been my standby beer since you could buy cases at 3Fs.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Yes, you do need to buy a 6-pack of them. Drink them over the course of a few weeks. If you're drinking 96 oz. of barleywine at once, you've got a problem.

I really like Bigfoot.

We played a few rounds of flip cup back in college with Bigfoot. That was a mistake.

Seth C

Zombie Dust has been my standby beer since you could buy cases at 3Fs.

I've never had it so we will see how I like it. Typically I'm more a fan of stouts, porters, and barrel aged beers.

Would any other members of beer-GAF be interested in doing a meetup in Indianapolis? It's 3 hours from me but seems pretty central for the midwest beer brewing scene (Three Floyd's, New Holland, Founders, etc.). We could all bring some "local" beer to share and grill some food or something.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

I really like Bigfoot.

you need to swap bigfoot bottles into your 6 pack of standard price sierra nevada :)

just sealed my latest 5 gal batch. 6 oz. of chinook, centennial, and cascade hops AND 5ml of hopshot hop extract. now waiting patiently for the bubbly on the airlock to confirm the yeast is doing its thing.

=)

also, just drank my first 3 bottles of this last night. after only a week of conditioning, carb was good and the flavor was pretty awesome. a bit on the dark side, but nice bitterness and hoppy bite. not sure what i'd change for the next go around, possibly experiment with a lighter wort (originally used 6lbs golden LME and 3lbs of pale DME).

fenners

also, just drank my first 3 bottles of this last night. after only a week of conditioning, carb was good and the flavor was pretty awesome. a bit on the dark side, but nice bitterness and hoppy bite. not sure what i'd change for the next go around, possibly experiment with a lighter wort (originally used 6lbs golden LME and 3lbs of pale DME).

I've found doing late wort additions makes a nice difference to the colour.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
When I switched from extract to all-grain I thought maybe it was just my own perception that the beer tasted a lot better, but I got a ton of comments that it was way better and I didn't bother to tell anyone about that.

op_ivy

When I switched from extract to all-grain I thought maybe it was just my own perception that the beer tasted a lot better, but I got a ton of comments that it was way better and I didn't bother to tell anyone about that.

did you make your own later tun (sp?) or order one? coincidentally, i just got a catalogue in the mail from northern brewer and saw a "grain system" for 199 made from a 5 gallon cooler. seemed a bit much for something that could be homemade, but maybe the extra cost would be worth not having the hassle

fenners

did you make your own later tun (sp?) or order one? coincidentally, i just got a catalogue in the mail from northern brewer and saw a "grain system" for 199 made from a 5 gallon cooler. seemed a bit much for something that could be homemade, but maybe the extra cost would be worth not having the hassle

There's instructions on homebrewtalk, along with part numbers etc, to do it cheaper.

Me, I'm going the brew in a bag route as it doesn't need extra tuns etc, I use the large pot I already had + a voile bag ($5 from Target).

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
My mash tun at home is a cooler,a piece of tubing stuck through the spout, and a stainless braid off of a toilet water supply line clamped directly to the tubing. It works perfectly.

op_ivy

There's instructions on homebrewtalk, along with part numbers etc, to do it cheaper.

Me, I'm going the brew in a bag route as it doesn't need extra tuns etc, I use the large pot I already had + a voile bag ($5 from Target).

would you mind supplying a link? i've been looking through the various forums and while i'm finding lots of good stuff, i'm not finding what you mentioned.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
would you mind supplying a link? i've been looking through the various forums and while i'm finding lots of good stuff, i'm not finding what you mentioned.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Converting_a_cooler_to_a_mash_tun

Buy a cooler with a spout, and then put a cooler conversion kit from Northern Brewer/whatever on it and a toilet braid clamped directly to it. You can clamp it right to a hose with a pinch valve too if you want, but most people these days use brass valves.

You can totally part out the valve stuff for conversion, but in all honesty, it's WAY more trouble than its worth.

op_ivy

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Converting_a_cooler_to_a_mash_tun

Buy a cooler with a spout, and then put a cooler conversion kit from Northern Brewer/whatever on it and a toilet braid clamped directly to it. You can clamp it right to a hose with a pinch valve too if you want, but most people these days use brass valves.

You can totally part out the valve stuff for conversion, but in all honesty, it's WAY more trouble than its worth.

awesome, thanks

yesterday was Stone night and had:
Double Dry Hopped Ruination IPA
Vanilla Bean Smoked Porter
Pale Ale

Double Dry Hopped Ruination had similarities to a Pliny The Elder. So good.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
stone-ruination-crop.png

Stone Ruination, my favorite beer of all time turns 10 today! Time to pick up a new 6 pack on the way home!

From Beerpulse.com

Picked up two bottles of the Deschutes/Hair of the Dog collaboration beer, Collage. $11.79 per 12 oz. bottle. 11.6% ABV blend of Adam, Fred, Dissident and Stoic. Best after 4/13/13. Damn.

SUPREME1

Banned
Today marks the one year anniversary and the successful completion of a personal challenge I set for myself... which was to give up alcohol/liquor for an entire year, cold turkey.

I am pretty proud of myself.

I was trying to find myself at a certain level and thought it would do me some good to cut out the alcohol completely and just be sober for a while so that I could get some real clarity.

I think I accomplsihed that a few months in, so it was more about completing the goal I had originally set for myself more than anything towards the end.

I am glad the day has come because I have missed enjoying a good glass of brew.

I have a nice big bottle of this in the fridge at home and will be enjoying it this weekend:

Product-Dogfish-Head-Hellhound-On-My-Ale.jpg

My wife was waiting for me to accomplish my goal so we could go out and celebrate, but she's now preggers and so I'll be the only one enjoying it. : (

She was great through the whole challenge, so I give her thanks for not making it tough on me.

dLy50.jpg

Verdict: I do not need to buy a 6-pack of something that is 9.6% alcohol. Tastes good though, even if I feel sick as a dog today.

I have six cases of Bigfoot from the past six years.. plus a couple of other stragglers that are older (like 2001, 2002). Great to crack um open once in a while and taste um. They age really well.

Guys,
Can anyone vouch for these? Supposedly they make a difference.
2007_sam-adams-glass.jpg

Sadly when it comes to beer, I don't think there is one flavor of Sam Adams I like enough to stock.

Malvolio

The SA glasses are nice, but they aren't anything special. Most big craft beer breweries sell similar glasses. I'm personally a fan of the glasses available on Dogfish and Stone's website. I also plan on picking up some of the stemmed glasses that Three Floyds just released the next time I stop in there.

UrokeJoe

Those Sam Adams "perfect pint" glasses are ugly as sin. I don't care what they apparently do. Give me a tulip or a straight pint glass.

Agree. I have one, wouldn't say it's really ugly, but I don't really enjoy it much. I would definitely say they are over stating it just like they do their beer.

RELAYER

Banned
As someone who cannot discern taste at the microscopic level, I can't say much about the supposed virtues of drinking a beer from a "proper" glass. I've always thought that the need of having just the right glass for every beer was nothing but a clever marketing scheme.

Anyways, just picked up a fo'-pack of Tall Grass Buffalo Sweat. Reputably a sweet stout, we'll see how this goes. I don't trust beer brewed in the plains.

Edit: I will say that these babies pour beautifully though, magnificent looking.

Edit2: Taste is mediocre though, shame.

Hey! So I'm on vacation in Miami. I'm looking for some great American beers I can't get back in Canada. Any recommendations? I hear Sam Adams is good? I'm open to all types of beers and suggestions

Those Sam Adams "perfect pint" glasses are ugly as sin. I don't care what they apparently do. Give me a tulip or a straight pint glass.

See, and I really love how they look, yet I don't really think they add anything to the beer other than the obvious benefits of pouring it into a glass vs drinking from the bottle.

As someone who cannot discern taste at the microscopic level, I can't say much about the supposed virtues of drinking a beer from a "proper" glass. I've always thought that the need of having just the right glass for every beer was nothing but a clever marketing scheme.

Anyways, just picked up a fo'-pack of Tall Grass Buffalo Sweat. Reputably a sweet stout, we'll see how this goes. I don't trust beer brewed in the plains.

Edit: I will say that these babies pour beautifully though, magnificent looking.

Edit2: Taste is mediocre though, shame.

If you want a good beer from Tallgrass, try their Halcyon Wheat. One of the best American Style wheats out there in my opinion.

pxleyes

Banned
Hey! So I'm on vacation in Miami. I'm looking for some great American beers I can't get back in Canada. Any recommendations? I hear Sam Adams is good? I'm open to all types of beers and suggestions
If you can get it on draft, anything from Cigar City or Swamphead Breweries. Local to Florida and some amazing brews. If you find a place serving Stumpknocker, drink it. Drink it all!

Have you cracked open the Deschutes/Hair of the Dog collaboration and/or the Split Shot Espresso Milk Stout yet? If so, how were they? I will try looking for both over the weekend if I can.

Not yet. Split Shot is really easy to find, and 99 Bottles has Collage, that's where I got my two bottles. I work in Auburn, so I stopped by on my way home to Seattle.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Welcome to a never ending downward spiral of obsession. Once you go sour, you never go back.

I went back. Sour beer is pretty good, but there are so many shit sour beers out there it is ridiculous. So many Americans don't understand what makes a sour beer good, or make their attempt by throwing shit into barrels, and then become obsessed with seeing some sort of return on investment so they release it into the marketplace regardless of whether or not it actually tastes good.

I went back. Sour beer is pretty good, but there are so many shit sour beers out there it is ridiculous. So many Americans don't understand what makes a sour beer good, or make their attempt by throwing shit into barrels, and then become obsessed with seeing some sort of return on investment so they release it into the marketplace regardless of whether or not it actually tastes good.

I was just kidding around. ;-)

But yeah, you're right. Going to Belgium last year and Cantillon in particular really opened my eyes to the style.

Tunic

Not yet. Split Shot is really easy to find, and 99 Bottles has Collage, that's where I got my two bottles. I work in Auburn, so I stopped by on my way home to Seattle.

Sweet! That's my local store too actually. I'll try my luck today and see if they have Collage in stock. Thanks!

totowhoa

Banned
8-bit.jpg

The new 8-bit Pale Ale from Tallgrass Brewing Co. Always been a big fan of their beers so when I saw this I had to grab it, even though I was just there to buy some cooking wine. Solid beer, my fiance and I both really enjoyed it, and the cans are great.

Top Bottom