• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Went out for tapas with the wife tonight and had a la fin du monde and a new holland black tulip. La fin du monde is always great, but had never had black tulip before. Good stuff.

fenners

Get a Hefe or Blonde going. If you keg, that can be ready in just over a week.

I keg... But I don't really like either of those styles ;) I've got ingredients to make a Belgian Golden sitting there, I'll get that started this weekend hopefully. I might make a quick blonde going next weekend.

I keg... But I don't really like either of those styles ;) I've got ingredients to make a Belgian Golden sitting there, I'll get that started this weekend hopefully. I might make a quick blonde going next weekend.

I had good luck with a Russian River Redemption Clone that can be turned around rather quickly.

Code:
BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: RR Redemption
Brewer: Pat
Asst Brewer: 
Style: Belgian Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.04 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.50 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal   
Bottling Volume: 5.10 gal
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 4.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 24.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 69.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.4 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
9 lbs 8.3 oz          Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM)          Grain         1        90.9 %        
5.1 oz                Acid Malt (3.0 SRM)                      Grain         2        3.0 %         
5.1 oz                Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)                    Grain         3        3.0 %         
5.1 oz                White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)               Grain         4        3.0 %         
28.3 g                Styrian Goldings [3.40 %] - Boil 60.0 mi Hop           5        13.4 IBUs     
10.0 g                Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 Hop           6        6.9 IBUs      
28.3 g                Sterling [7.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min         Hop           7        4.6 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               Abbey Ale (White Labs #WLP530) [35.49 ml Yeast         8        -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs 7.4 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                       Step Temperature Step Time     
Mash In           Add 15.69 qt of water at 162.0 F  152.0 F          60 min        

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.25gal, 3.92gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------
Add acidulated malt during sparge - DO NOT MASH

gcF9ql.jpg

Local beer represent!

My own photo!

Went to Elysian Tangletown with my mom and my daughter. Space Dust IPA is ace.

WA Brewer's Festival tomorrow. My wife is DDing as part of my father's day gift.

andylsun

At last. Friend stopped off and got some for me in Vermont. He didn't like it at the bar, so I can have the whole 4 pack.

VhnkAm.jpg

My first beer (English Best Bitter) served from my keg. I have a tap in my house that dispenses beer!! It was great during the football Sunday afternoon, kept topping the glass up.

laXYym.jpg

As you can see, I'm still trying to find a fridge to keep it in. Camping cooler methods in use.

46khAm.jpg

Edit: Just seen the recipe above - nice. Going to do my first all grain this weekend, and was planning on making a Belgium Blonde and then racking 1gal of it onto fruit (local strawberries, blueberries or something). May do this instead.

Steelrain

Anyone?

EzTsg.jpg

I tried some for the first time this past weekend and it was really, really good.

I usually don't like stouts but this was great.

andylsun

Anyone?

EzTsg.jpg

I tried some for the first time this past weekend and it was really, really good.

I usually don't like stouts but this was great.

Yep. had my first bottle last year. Loved it and it's now on my list of things to brew. Wouldn't want more than 1 in an evening, and not sure what I'd switch to afterwards.

Steelrain

Yep. had my first bottle last year. Loved it and it's now on my list of things to brew. Wouldn't want more than 1 in an evening, and not sure what I'd switch to afterwards.

Yeah I had it after dinner.

Not something I'd drink more than 2 of during a night but really good to chill with.

I'll definitely pick up a few more bottles before they become impossible to find.

I also tried this:

MI3Dd.jpg

Baird Kurofune Porter.

It was ok but a bit too bland compared to their other brews.

andylsun

Yeah I had it after dinner.

Not something I'd drink more than 2 of during a night but really good to chill with.

I'll definitely pick up a few more bottles before they become impossible to find.

I don't think Young's Double Chocolate Stout should ever be hard to find - it's been around for years I thought. Not a limited run or anything.

andylsun

Not sure if this was posted already, but here's the list of the 2012 World Beer Cup Winners .

http://www.worldbeercup.org/winners/past-winners

I didn't know there were 56 different categories/styles.

Category 43: American-Style Lager or Light Lager, 39 Entries
Gold: Coors Light, Coors Brewing Co., Golden, CO
Silver: Michelob Ultra, Anheuser-Busch, St. Louis, MO
Bronze: Michelob Light, Anheuser-Busch, St. Louis, MO

Really??? Coors Light came out top of 39 Entries? Would love to see the full list... I drink American Lagers and sometime Light, and Coors Light would never top any list. What about High Life or Regular Coors - both better than CL...

Category 44: American-Style Premium Lager or Specialty Lager, 37 Entries
Gold: Steel Reserve, Miller Brewing Co., Golden, CO
Silver: Evans Original, Cervecería Mexicana, Corona, CA
Bronze: Icehouse, Miller Brewing Co., Golden, CO

andylsun

I'm in Japan so it's a real pain in the ass to get unfortunately.

Ah, that would explain it! I grew up in the UK, and am now in the USA, and it's pretty easy to find over here.

What Japanese beers would you say are worth looking out for. I drink most things except Porters and Brown Ale.

Category 43: American-Style Lager or Light Lager, 39 Entries
Gold: Coors Light, Coors Brewing Co., Golden, CO
Silver: Michelob Ultra, Anheuser-Busch, St. Louis, MO
Bronze: Michelob Light, Anheuser-Busch, St. Louis, MO

Really??? Coors Light came out top of 39 Entries? Would love to see the full list... I drink American Lagers and sometime Light, and Coors Light would never top any list. What about High Life or Regular Coors - both better than CL...

Category 44: American-Style Premium Lager or Specialty Lager, 37 Entries
Gold: Steel Reserve, Miller Brewing Co., Golden, CO
Silver: Evans Original, Cervecería Mexicana, Corona, CA
Bronze: Icehouse, Miller Brewing Co., Golden, CO

These are very specific beer categories (that's why there are so many categories). Being the best beer in a category does not make it a good beer.

andylsun

These are very specific beer categories (that's why there are so many categories). Being the best beer in a category does not make it a good beer.

True, but there are beers that fit both those classes that I would expect to be above the ones that won - that's why I'd like to see the full list of entries.

Steelrain

Ah, that would explain it! I grew up in the UK, and am now in the USA, and it's pretty easy to find over here.

What Japanese beers would you say are worth looking out for. I drink most things except Porters and Brown Ale.

I really enjoy Baird Suruga Bay IPA. It has been my favorite beers here by far. I'll miss it when I have to go back to the states. If you can find it...do yourself a favor and grab as much as you can.

nVD2S.jpg

You can check out their website here to see the other brews they have. I'm not sure how easy it is to get outside of Japan though.

I really enjoy Baird Suruga Bay IPA. It has been my favorite beers here by far. I'll miss it when I have to go back to the states. If you can find it...do yourself a favor and grab as much as you can.

I really like Baird. I went to their taproom in Harajuku back in April 2010 and had Suruga Bay on tap. It was pretty damn good, even if it was crazy expensive.

You can check out their website here to see the other brews they have. I'm not sure how easy it is to get outside of Japan though.

Baird does distribute to the US and Canada (Washington, Oregon, British Columbia for sure). I've purchased bottles of Rising Sun Pale, Teikoku IPA and Kurofune Porter here.

They're really hard. I share a common name with the head brewer there & I'd love to get some glassware for my homebrew & it's just ridiculously hard to get, just like their beer.

I've got one of their pint glasses that I bought in Tokyo. Easily my favorite one.

Viewt

Yo Beer-GAF!

I'm gonna be visiting a pal in Chicago in a couple weeks, and I'd love to pick up some of the great regional brews that I wouldn't be able to find elsewhere (for reference, I live in South Florida). Everyone's already recommended heading to Goose Island, but I figured you guys might have some great suggestions.

Yo Beer-GAF!

I'm gonna be visiting a pal in Chicago in a couple weeks, and I'd love to pick up some of the great regional brews that I wouldn't be able to find elsewhere (for reference, I live in South Florida). Everyone's already recommended heading to Goose Island, but I figured you guys might have some great suggestions.

Three Floyds.

Malvolio

Yo Beer-GAF!

In addition to the mentioned Three Floyds, Revolution is a local brewpub that has just expanded to a full size brewery with local distribution. Not sure if it's hit the store shelves just yet, but its coming soon. However, the brewpub is definitely worth stopping into. Food and beer are excellent.

Triz

Found a bottle of Firestone Parabola at the whole foods this weekend. 12.5% imperial Russian stout. Should be spectacular.

nVD2S.jpg

You could always contact them to find out their distribution areas. :)

Malvolio

Found a bottle of Firestone Parabola at the whole foods this weekend. 12.5% imperial Russian stout. Should be spectacular.

Are you on the west coast? Been keeping my eye on the shelves for this year's batch to appear, but haven't seen a single bottle yet here in Chicago. I assume it will hit out west before it finally makes it here. One of the few beers that I try to overstock on. Soooooooo good.

Triz

Are you on the west coast? Been keeping my eye on the shelves for this year's batch to appear, but haven't seen a single bottle yet here in Chicago. I assume it will hit out west before it finally makes it here. One of the few beers that I try to overstock on. Soooooooo good.
Yeah I'm in Cali. I've only had the anniversary beers with parabola mixed in and loved every one.

nVD2S.jpg

Thanks for the tip on this. I have a friend living in Osaka right now and he is visiting here next month. Hopefully he can bring some for me.

Malvolio

Yeah I'm in Cali. I've only had the anniversary beers with parabola mixed in and loved every one.

The 15th anniversary blend sure was amazing. Still have 5 bottles in storage and I'm tempted every weekend to open one. I've run out of last years Parabola though and I know that getting more will do a nice job at keeping me away from the 15's.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Help me Gaf. This past weekend I had an excellent Scottish beer, Highland something maybe. I can't remember and I want to get more.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I've recently discovered this:

sw.png

Super light, really drinkable on hot summer days... definitely recommended if you can find it in your area. It's a Rochester, NY brewery, but I hadn't heard about it until very recently.

Help me Gaf. This past weekend I had an excellent Scottish beer, Highland something maybe. I can't remember and I want to get more.

Probably Highland Brewing. They're out of Asheville, NC (not Scotland) and they are really damn good. I especially like their Gaelic Ale and Kashmir IPA. My friends got married right outside of Asheville, and got a couple of kegs of the Gaelic as well as bottles of some of their other brews, for the reception. Best wedding ever.

http://www.highlandbrewing.com/

I'm not sure how far their distribution is, but I can find it in supermarkets here in Florida. About $10 for a 6 pack. I wish I lived in a city like Asheville. So much good beer there.

Anyone seen Positive Contact from Dogfish anywhere yet?

I'm really interested in this beer, but I don't like the idea of dropping $60-$70 to get it, since it seems they are only selling it in 6-packs (of 750ml bottles) including the record. I'd like to know if I'm going to enjoy the beer before committing to buying 6 bombers of it.

dubc35

I'm enjoying a Fremont Homefront IPA right now. I also picked up a Pelican Brewery India Pelican Ale. I haven't had either before but so far so good with the Fremont. I like most of their beer and I like IPA's so not shocking news here, lol.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
FqXmi.jpg

Whole Hog Six Hop IPA
87 IBU, 8.5% ABV
Love the nose on this but there's something about the taste I'm not in love with. Almost like an initial hit of hops that gets muted by malt? Worth a shot though and a decent price

Giard

Tasted this gem recently:

6247708400_fcb885aa9e.jpg

Witbiers are my favorite, and this is one of, if not the best I've ever tasted. And it's local!
Try it out if you have the chance.

GrapeApes

Not sure if this was posted already, but here's the list of the 2012 World Beer Cup Winners .

http://www.worldbeercup.org/winners/past-winners

I didn't know there were 56 different categories/styles.

Category 42: American-Style Cream Ale or Lager, 23 Entries
Gold: Prestige, Brasserie Nationale d’Haiti, Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Silver: Old Style, Pabst Brewing Co., Allentown, PA
Bronze: Milwaukee’s Best, Miller Brewing Co., Golden, CO

Milwaukee's best wins an award? Seriously? I always feel bad for Milwaukee that they are being defamed whenever someone buys Beast.

Darkatomz

So, I'm moving to Texas in a few months from Massachusetts. I've been down there twice, and I would say I kind of know my beer. But, both times I didn't spot anything worth mentioning.

Any recommendations?

fenners

So, I'm moving to Texas in a few months from Massachusetts. I've been down there twice, and I would say I kind of know my beer. But, both times I didn't spot anything worth mentioning.

Any recommendations?

Where are you moving to? Austin has a fantastic microbrew scene - Jester King, 512, Live Oak, Rogness, Independence, amongst a whole bunch of others. Jester King's my favourite local brewer by far.

Dallas has a growing brew scene too, but I'm not as familiar with it.

Because Texas distribution laws are atrociously biased towards the big three, there's a lot of well known breweries that just don't distribute to Texas unfortunately, and it also hampers how our own breweries can promote & distribute, so sometimes it feels like our breweries are under-appreciated outside of the state.

fenners

Got the water on the burner for a brew session. Going to be a Belgian Golden Ale, with the addition of some Lyle's Golden Syrup from the UK - gives it that taste of sweetness & flavour boost that comes out nice.

Top Bottom