• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Where are you moving to? Austin has a fantastic microbrew scene - Jester King, 512, Live Oak, Rogness, Independence, amongst a whole bunch of others. Jester King's my favourite local brewer by far.

Dallas has a growing brew scene too, but I'm not as familiar with it.

Because Texas distribution laws are atrociously biased towards the big three, there's a lot of well known breweries that just don't distribute to Texas unfortunately, and it also hampers how our own breweries can promote & distribute, so sometimes it feels like our breweries are under-appreciated outside of the state.

It also doesn't help that some laws in Texas prevent high-ABV beers from being distributed there.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So we went to a rooftop bar in Chicago last night. I wanted a beer and they had some very interesting bottles available.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/804/21095

Having never heard of Pink Killer, I decided something crazy and unique would be worth trying...

One of the very most interesting beers I've had - tasted more like a grapefruit soda with ginger ale than a beer. Very sweet and carbonated, too. I probably wouldn't ever get or drink one again, but I'm glad I got to try it.

E: Sorry for no pics. I'm on my iPad and have no idea how to post a pic to the forum with it.

Darkatomz

Where are you moving to? Austin has a fantastic microbrew scene - Jester King, 512, Live Oak, Rogness, Independence, amongst a whole bunch of others. Jester King's my favourite local brewer by far.

Dallas has a growing brew scene too, but I'm not as familiar with it.

Because Texas distribution laws are atrociously biased towards the big three, there's a lot of well known breweries that just don't distribute to Texas unfortunately, and it also hampers how our own breweries can promote & distribute, so sometimes it feels like our breweries are under-appreciated outside of the state.
Dallas. So was I correct in my initial assessment that microbrewers don't distribute much to the area?

fenners

Dallas. So was I correct in my initial assessment that microbrewers don't distribute much to the area?

It's tricky... We get a lot of California/Colorado brews. We're getting more & more East coast brews. I guess it'd be easier if you mentioned some fav breweries & we can figure out if they're available.

Drinking this, but the 2012 version:

NCBC-Old-Stock-bottle-pour-sm.gif

Darkatomz

It's tricky... We get a lot of California/Colorado brews. We're getting more & more East coast brews. I guess it'd be easier if you mentioned some fav breweries & we can figure out if they're available.
I'm not very interested in drinking things that I've already had before. I was more interested in finding things there that I can't get on the East Coast.

If it helps, some of my more preferred styles would be IPAs and darker beers, like Stouts or Porters.

Cracked open a bottle of Terrapin's new Side Project series beer, Phlux Capacitor. I bought it for two reasons

1) I fucking love Terrapin and will basically try anything they brew. They are probably my favorite craft brewery right now. I really need to get up to Athens to visit. It's only about 6 hours from Tallahassee.

2) It's named after Back to the Future. I can't say no to that.

It was quite good. They say it's an "unknown" style. It's basically an American strong ale aged in French oak barrels. It had some chocolates notes, but that's all I really remember after drinking the whole bottle (9.8%) along with a few more beers at my friend's birthday party. I gave it 4 out of 5 on untappd.

Also sitting in the fridge are a bottle of Saison Dupont, which I have never tried before and will finally be crossing off my list now that I have it. I've always wanted to try it, I just never got around to picking up a bottle until last week.

And I've got two 12oz bottles of Victory's Saison du BUFF as well. One of them (or at least half of it) is going into a roast chicken recipe, and the rest is going into a glass next to my roasted chicken :)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Jesus Sam Adams is piss. I'd rather have keystone ice.
You're either taking the piss or you're actively trying to make sure everyone knows you have no idea what you're talking about. I'm not saying an opinion can be wrong or right, but, well no, actually that one is horribly wrong, unless you just hate lagers in general, which is a pretty terrible opinion too.

Furio53

I don't fancy myself a beer connoisseur or anything, but I've been trying some different ones lately. Had one called Pallete Wrecker that was amazing. I think Green Flash makes it?

I don't fancy myself a beer connoisseur or anything, but I've been trying some different ones lately. Had one called Pallete Wrecker that was amazing. I think Green Flash makes it?

I haven't had that one, but Green Flash has some very nice brews. Picked up their Trippel over the weekend. It was very smooth and drinkable, and it managed to hide the alcohol taste very well considering its ABV is 9.7%. Highly recommend. There are plenty of better trippels out there, but it's so good for the price.

My cure for a stressful day at work:

NB's Lips of Faith series has had a good track record with me, but I'm extremely wary of "wild ales." So I picked up my go-to ale as an emergency backup. The final verdict, though: it is a very nice ale for a warm summer evening, highly drinkable. Surprising for somebody like me who doesn't usually like fruity beers. Saving the Bastard for tomorrow!

RELAYER

Banned
Tonight I picked up the Dunkel variants of Franziskaner and Weihenstephaner.
Not my cup of tea I guess.

I also picked up a bottle of Trois Pistoles, found it to be inferior to Maudite.
Poor selection on my part tonight.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I haven't had that one, but Green Flash has some very nice brews. Picked up their Trippel over the weekend. It was very smooth and drinkable, and it managed to hide the alcohol taste very well considering its ABV is 9.7%. Highly recommend. There are plenty of better trippels out there, but it's so good for the price.

Palate Wrecker is a Green Flash offering they made for Hamilton's Tavern in San Diego that's now on their regular lineup - it's a double IPA, on the hoppy end even for double IPA. I'm pretty much over the IPA hype unless they're really exception (think Pliny the Elder), so I wasn't too impressed. I'm never impressed by Green Flash either, despite them being about 3 blocks from my house. They have a distinct GF character that I don't care for.

Another IPA I really did not like was Ballast Point's Dorado (the other brewery close to my house). Very bitter sure, but it's unpleasant. At least Stone's 10th Anniv. Ruination was drinkable, even if crazy bitter.

Triz

So I cracked open the Parabola tonight. My god is it a sipper. And I mean that in the most flattering way. I don't want to give this beer up. So many flavors blended together in perfect harmony. If you can find it buy it without hesitation.

So I cracked open the Parabola tonight. My god is it a sipper. And I mean that in the most flattering way. I don't want to give this beer up. So many flavors blended together in perfect harmony. If you can find it buy it without hesitation.

I wish Firestone Walker would distribute in my state! My favorite Russian imperial is still Stone. But I've heard so many good things about Parabola. I envy you!

HiResDes

Tonight I picked up the Dunkel variants of Franziskaner and Weihenstephaner.
Not my cup of tea I guess.

I also picked up a bottle of Trois Pistoles, found it to be inferior to Maudite.
Poor selection on my part tonight.

Maudite is godlike don't feel bad, though I think Monk's Blood is a decent cheaper alternative.

...Drinking Avery's Karma tonight folks. I feel like I haven't been around in a while, and I've had so many new and different beers since then. The bar that I frequent downtown gets a lot of limited Stone stuff, which I'm growing quite tired of, as a brewery I must say there selection is quite one-note.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Lagers definitely have their place. If I'm out grilling I definitely don't want some heavy micro brew!

HiResDes

I pretty much will only make an exception for good German lagers like Weihenstephaner. Oh and Joe's Pilsner is pretty decent too.

My favorite piss water beer is this:

20090518_olde-english-800.jpg

...When I don't give a fuck, I really don't give a fuck.

That photo just sold me on a 40 of Olde English.

On a related note, I grabbed a Mickey's at the gas station sometime last week when I didn't feel like going all the way to my usual spot for beer. I was treated to a round of applause from the clerks on staff.

tokkun

Surprised at the lager hate. Maybe it's because I'm from the Midwest, but we have a ton of good Doppelbocks, Maibocks, and Oktoberfests every year.

Angry Grimace

Basically, "lol"

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/community/news/show?title=2012-best-beers-in-america

1. Russian River Pliny the Elder
2. Bell's Two Hearted Ale
3. Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA
4. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
5. Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale
6. Bell's Hopslam
7. Sierra Nevada Celebration
8. Stone Ruination IPA
9. Sierra Nevada Torpedo
10. North Coast Old Rasputin
11. Firestone Walker Union Jack
12. Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye
13. Bear Republic Racer 5
14. Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale
15. Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA
16. Firestone Walker Double Jack
T17. Ballast Point Sculpin IPA
T17. Sierra Nevada Bigfoot
19. Stone IPA
20. New Belgium Fat Tire
21. Deschutes Black Butte Porter
22. Avery Maharaja
23. Founders Breakfast Stout
24. Left Hand Milk Stout
T25. Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA
T25. New Belgium Ranger
T25. Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale
28. Deschutes The Abyss
29. Goose Island Bourbon County Stout
30. Surly Furious
T31. Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin
T31. Rogue Dead Guy
T31. Samuel Adams Boston Lager
34. Troegs Nugget Nectar
T35. Lagunitas IPA
T35. New Belgium La Folie
T37. Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron
T37. Founders KBS
T37. Russian River Blind Pig IPA
41. Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale
42. Victory Prima Pils
43. Great Divide Yeti
T44. Alaskan Smoked Porter
T44. Anchor Steam
T44. Lagunitas Hop Stoopid
T44. Samuel Adams Noble Pils
T48. Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter
T48. Oskar Blues Ten Fidy
T48. Russian River Pliny the Younger

BeerAdvocate users don't like anything but IPAs and Barrel Aged Stout. News at 11.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Basically, "lol"

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/community/news/show?title=2012-best-beers-in-america

BeerAdvocate users don't like anything but IPAs and Barrel Aged Stout. News at 11.

I've noticed the same, but I will say...Since expanding my beer repertoire over the past year or so, I've grown to greatly prefer IPA's and stouts myself. The flavors are much more complex and robust, and really take an appreciation of beer to understand and respect fully.

Angry Grimace

I've noticed the same, but I will say...Since expanding my beer repertoire over the past year or so, I've grown to greatly prefer IPA's and stouts myself. The flavors are much more complex and robust, and really take an appreciation of beer to understand and respect fully.
It's actually the opposite. IPAs and Imperial Stout have a ton of obvious, heavy flavors so it doesn't require a particularly nuanced tongue to determine whether they are any good or not because the massive hop bill and/or massive amounts of roasted malt in the grist hides all the flaws in the beer. It takes a much more experienced tongue to discern a well executed helles than it does an IPA, really. There isn't anything wrong with IPA or Stout, it's the fact that BeerAdvocate members are giant spergs who don't have the ability to recognize the merits of anything else. In other words, most people who live in the US and get into beer tasting immediately decides they like IPAs and Stout best because they're the strongest ones.

It's the same reason the BA and RateBeer types like them so much: they're strong and often "rare," so they make a blanket assumption that they are the brewer's best stuff. But comparing an IPA to a Munich Helles is like comparing Chinese food to Italian food on the grounds that they are both edible; overall beer lists are ridiculous.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I guess it's different for everyone - the first time I had a stout and an IPA, I couldn't stand them. They tasted like trash to me. I was pretty much wheat and pale ales. But I feel like I can taste and appreciate all the subtle differences between any two IPAs or stouts now. Maybe it's just me or my mind thinking as such since I really enjoy them now and used to hate them? I don't know.

I think we all have our own tastes though. I would agree that lists are very tough to take seriously, though. My favorite beer won't make it that high on the list ever, but I have had a handful of those beers listed, and they are all fantastic beers.

E: Oh, I probably should add/comment that it's fucking ridiculous that most of the top beers are "rare" beers. But that probably goes hand in hand with the idea that keeping the demand high and supply low yields fantastic results! ;) PS - 2012 Dark Lord is not that good. It's WAY too sweet. My other 3 bottles may remain unopened for a VERY long time...

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Trying a Caldera Rauch Ur Bock bomber. Pretty impressed with the smoked flavor and smell this thing is carrying. Almost hits me like a smoked cheddar at the front. Nice lager!

Angry Grimace

I guess it's different for everyone - the first time I had a stout and an IPA, I couldn't stand them. They tasted like trash to me. I was pretty much wheat and pale ales. But I feel like I can taste and appreciate all the subtle differences between any two IPAs or stouts now. Maybe it's just me or my mind thinking as such since I really enjoy them now and used to hate them? I don't know.

I think we all have our own tastes though. I would agree that lists are very tough to take seriously, though. My favorite beer won't make it that high on the list ever, but I have had a handful of those beers listed, and they are all fantastic beers.

E: Oh, I probably should add/comment that it's fucking ridiculous that most of the top beers are "rare" beers. But that probably goes hand in hand with the idea that keeping the demand high and supply low yields fantastic results! ;) PS - 2012 Dark Lord is not that good. It's WAY too sweet. My other 3 bottles may remain unopened for a VERY long time...

I'm don't say this to be patronizing, but your experience isn't that different from most people who get into beer. Most people loves IPA when they first learn to really taste beer because it has the strongest taste.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm don't say this to be patronizing, but your experience isn't that different from most people who get into beer. Most people loves IPA when they first learn to really taste beer because it has the strongest taste.

That's fair. I've only been drinking beer for about 5 years so compared to some, I guess you could say I have a small tongue for it, ha. ;)

But anyone who says beer strength > beer taste is dumb.

I won't lie: I like bold flavors, so a good IPA or a "strong ale" like Arrogant Bastard is something I enjoy on a fairly regular basis. But variety in flavors is pretty key to my enjoyment. So.. lists like the one AG posted just boggle my mind.

Also, the conversation here is seriously making me crave a good doppelbock. :p Ayinger Celebrator, I know, is readily available where I am. It's tried and true, but any other recommendations? Paulaner's hit or miss with me.. is their doppel any good?

PG2G

I'd like to try Pliny the Younger. I enjoyed Elder, but the Damnation is still my favorite beer from Russian River. I've had Pliny the Elder, Redemption, Supplication, and Damnation.

Had a beer called The Stoic the other weekend. Really enjoyed it. It pretty much changed the life of one of my "expensive beer" hating friends.

Top Bottom