• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Been drinking a lot of Deschutes lately, (Black Butte Porter, Mirror Pond IPA, Inversion IPA and North West Pale Ale). Really enjoyed the NWPA, nice big grapefruit taste without being one note. The Modus Hoperandi from Ska Brewery was a pretty great IPA too.

thespot84

Not yet, I'm not sure that my store carries it. They just got in a buncha new stuff (Deschutes included) so I make a habit of picking up something new each time I'm in, but I've been impressed by Deschutes as a whole.

Indeed, one of my favorite breweries. Them and great divide, I can be sure whatever I'm cracking open is consistent and good.

Do you have Odell's where you live? Their pale ale (5 Barrel) and Double IPA (Mercenary) are both great.

Indeed, one of my favorite breweries. Them and great divide, I can be sure whatever I'm cracking open is consistent and good.

Do you have Odell's where you live? Their pale ale (5 Barrel) and Double IPA (Mercenary) are both great.

I'm not sure, I'll have to keep an eye out for it. I grab my beer at Shop and Save so I don't have the hugest selection, but I've been impressed by the range of micros they've got in stock for being merely a grocer.

Jamesways

Odell has become one of my top go to breweries/beers. I love their stuff. The pale ale is excellent. Mercynary is great, the red is good, as is the regular IPA. St. Lupulin, their summer seasonal is an very well balanced APA/IPA.

dubc35

Hmm, I just had a 'regular' Yeti. After posting I searched and realized there is more than one Yeti. I believe I had the imperial stout. I don't 100% recall though as it was about a year ago and it was tasty.

A Makers Mark Yeti though? This I would like. If only it was Buffalo Trace infused.

More Pliny acquired. Should I drink it tonight, or wait? Hmmmm....
Easy decision, give it to me.

Hmm, I just had a 'regular' Yeti. After posting I searched and realized there is more than one Yeti. I believe I had the imperial stout. I don't 100% recall though as it was about a year ago and it was tasty.

A Makers Mark Yeti though? This I would like. If only it was Buffalo Trace infused.

Last Drop still has some. Go get yourself a bottle. $5.

Malvolio

FiftyFifty makes a version of their Eclipse Stout that uses Buffalo Trace. Stuff is amazing but a bit pricey as you would expect. Worth it if you can find some friends to split a bottle with though.

edit: Big thumbs up on the Yeti too. I've got a few bottles of the espresso still in the fridge. A great stout from a great brewery.

208940_4261332812712_572476981_n.jpg

Good little day o' beer shoppin'.

Bastard. I'd kill for a Pliny. Never had one. I've kind of been limiting my beer. Dieting. Gone from 205lbs to 190. I had to make this beer with dried Badagi Peppers from India for the next round of Iron Brewer. They were so hot. My father suggested smoking them to take some of the heat out. Just tasted the final product, still spicy. Just hope the two vanilla beans in the keg will mellow the heat. I know the other guy did a Coco Mole clone. Voting is tomorrow. I guess I will find out then.

thespot84

A buddy of mine opened a bottle of Timmerman's Gueuze tonight. It's the only Lambic I've had that wasn't particularly fruity, and it was amazing.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

I tried Brux at Russian River over the weekend. Sanctification: Great. Brux: Boring as all hell. I find certain brett beers, especially when not paired with any souring bacteria, a complete snooze fest.

I tried the Row 2 Simcoe beer for the first time as well, and it was pretty tasty, but Happy Hops stomped on it. So delicious.

I tried Brux at Russian River over the weekend. Sanctification: Great. Brux: Boring as all hell. I find certain brett beers, especially when not paired with any souring bacteria, a complete snooze fest.

Yeah, I heard Brux is kinda like "Fischer Price My First Wild Ale". Oh well, still looking forward to trying it.

I tried the Row 2 Simcoe beer for the first time as well, and it was pretty tasty, but Happy Hops stomped on it. So delicious.

Anything special in bottle down at the brewery? My parents are going to be there over the weekend and I'm hoping for some surprises when they get back. We also don't get Blind Pig in WA, so I'm excited for a bottle of that.

The other night I had the first craft beer from a respected brewery that made me completely scratch my head in amazement that they greenlit this brew for production. The beer is Bell's Cherry Stout. I have had multiple Bell's beers in the past (including the elusive and highly rated Hopslam) and I've liked/loved them all. As such, I was excited to try this one. I normally don't like cherries very much, but I've had other cherry beers and enjoyed them (Sam Adams Cherry Wheat comes to mind) so I thought this would be pretty good, especially since it is a stout.

WRONG.

It's shit. So bad I didn't take more than 3 sips of it. It is insanely sour, and the flavors do not go well together at all. Gross. I gave it one bottle cap on Untappd. I'd give it zero if I could. I'd actually rather drink a Bud Light.

Thankfully, there was an errant bottle of their Double Cream Stout in the six-pack, which I very much enjoyed.

Speaking of untappd, if any of you Beer-GAF types are on it, add me! My username is StrikerObi. The new 2.0 version of the app they launched today is really nice.

fat pat

Speaking of untappd, if any of you Beer-GAF types are on it, add me! My username is StrikerObi. The new 2.0 version of the app they launched today is really nice.

Whoa. This UI is so much cleaner than it was. Now if only they make it faster and less stuttery. I love untappd, but I dont use it as much because Ive mainly been drinking my homebrews.

grendelrt

Picked up a Stone Ruination 10th Anniversary special this past weekend. Hard to find on the east coast,30 min drive and they were only allowing 1 per person so I had my wife buy one too heeh.

20120717_120532.jpg

Whoa. This UI is so much cleaner than it was. Now if only they make it faster and less stuttery. I love untappd, but I dont use it as much because Ive mainly been drinking my homebrews.

The new app is faster, though I imagine it's going to be a bit overloaded for the next day or so with all the interest it will generate.

Also, Untappd has support for homebrews. You can add your own personal brewery and beers, so you and your friends can log them! You can look up my High Score Pale Ale on their, and see that I'm the only one that's ever logged it.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Yeah, I heard Brux is kinda like "Fischer Price My First Wild Ale". Oh well, still looking forward to trying it.

Anything special in bottle down at the brewery? My parents are going to be there over the weekend and I'm hoping for some surprises when they get back. We also don't get Blind Pig in WA, so I'm excited for a bottle of that.

They bottled Row 2, so they had that on hand. Other than that, just the standards I believe. Sanct, Damn, Cons, Supp, Pliny and Blind Pig.

The other night I had the first craft beer from a respected brewery that made me completely scratch my head in amazement that they greenlit this brew for production. The beer is Bell's Cherry Stout. I have had multiple Bell's beers in the past (including the elusive and highly rated Hopslam) and I've liked/loved them all. As such, I was excited to try this one. I normally don't like cherries very much, but I've had other cherry beers and enjoyed them (Sam Adams Cherry Wheat comes to mind) so I thought this would be pretty good, especially since it is a stout.

WRONG.

It's shit. So bad I didn't take more than 3 sips of it. It is insanely sour, and the flavors do not go well together at all. Gross. I gave it one bottle cap on Untappd. I'd give it zero if I could. I'd actually rather drink a Bud Light.

Thankfully, there was an errant bottle of their Double Cream Stout in the six-pack, which I very much enjoyed.

I bought a pack of that Cherry Stout a few weeks ago and can verify its awfulness. However, this weekend I bought some Dogfish Festina Peche and it is without a doubt the worst beverage I have ever drank before. Multiply your negative statements about that Bell's by a factor of a thousand, and you will have some idea of how terrible it is.

I bought a pack of that Cherry Stout a few weeks ago and can verify its awfulness. However, this weekend I bought some Dogfish Festina Peche and it is without a doubt the worst beverage I have ever drank before. Multiply your negative statements about that Bell's by a factor of a thousand, and you will have some idea of how terrible it is.

I thought the Festina Peche was alright. I kind of like a sour beer though, just not a sour stout like the Bell's Cherry. However, I don't think I'd ever buy it again.

The local awesome craft beer bar here in town (Proof) recently started brewing and they're going to be releasing their first two beers (an Americanized Wheat and a Rye Ale) next week. That's great news, but bigger news is that they are going to start selling growlers! Finally, growlers in my town. Took long enough. They have 50+ taps, almost all of which constantly rotate, and you can get anything put into a growler. I'm stoked.

The only lame part is that the growlers are 32oz. Florida law prohibits the sale of beer in a container larger than 32oz (so no 40s) and smaller than 1 gallon (otherwise you couldn't get kegs). It's so lame. There's no point in the law, and anybody that really wants 40oz is just going to buy two 32oz bottles anyway and get way more drunk.

As a result, all the breweries in FL that do growlers do either 32oz or 1gal. I hope my place gets 1gals soon. I'd rather not walk out of there carrying four small bottles.

I probably don't drink enough of it to notice the differences. Whatever the brand, it tastes like beer. It's the same with most wine.

I'll drink anything and won't complain.
Least you're open minded. I can't see how people can't pick out the differences though. All the beers I've tried have been pretty clearly different from one another

Jinaar

July 20th and I pick up my 6pack of Westvleteren :)

http://www.canadianbeernews.com/201...pist-ale-coming-to-canadian-liquor-retailers/

Usually available only to individuals who visit the Abbey of Saint Sixtus in Westvleteren, Belgium – or occasionally via less official grey market channels – Westvleteren 12 is considered to be one of the best beers in the world, with its scarcity playing a big part in its reputation. It is now being made more widely available for a limited time in order to help the Abbey cover the costs of the recent construction of a new monastery.

westvleteren12_6pack.jpg

Sherbrook Liquor here in Edmonton has it for presale. $75 for 6 bottles and 2 glasses that come with it. How not to drink them all at once is the issue now.

The local awesome craft beer bar here in town (Proof) recently started brewing and they're going to be releasing their first two beers (an Americanized Wheat and a Rye Ale) next week. That's great news, but bigger news is that they are going to start selling growlers! Finally, growlers in my town. Took long enough. They have 50+ taps, almost all of which constantly rotate, and you can get anything put into a growler. I'm stoked.

The only lame part is that the growlers are 32oz. Florida law prohibits the sale of beer in a container larger than 32oz (so no 40s) and smaller than 1 gallon (otherwise you couldn't get kegs). It's so lame. There's no point in the law, and anybody that really wants 40oz is just going to buy two 32oz bottles anyway and get way more drunk.

As a result, all the breweries in FL that do growlers do either 32oz or 1gal. I hope my place gets 1gals soon. I'd rather not walk out of there carrying four small bottles.

Meh, I have zero issue with the growler sizes here in Florida since I don't see a need for anything smaller than a gallon in a growler personally. One of our local breweries fills gallon growlers for $10 \m/

It could be worse; I believe in Georgia and Alabama it is still illegal to fill any growler.

I've been homebrewing for about a year now. Went to all-grain a couple months ago.

http://www.canadianbeernews.com/201...pist-ale-coming-to-canadian-liquor-retailers/

westvleteren12_6pack.jpg

Sherbrook Liquor here in Edmonton has it for presale. $75 for 6 bottles and 2 glasses that come with it. How not to drink them all at once is the issue now.

I really hate the logo that got stamped on the bottles for NA distribution.

You'll get fucking tanked if you drink probably more than two at once.

westvleteren12_6pack.jpg

So it should be about $75 here in the states too, I hope. Considering that a "good" deal on eBay is about $20/bottle, this is a steal. The logo on the bottles is lame, but I like it on the glass. I might go halfsies on this with a friend, three bottles and a glass each.

Also do not drink them all at once. You should cellar at least two of them, so you can drink them in years down the line.

I'm also down for a homebrew thread. I haven't brewed in about a year since I was in the process of buying a house and that took six months. Didn't want to start any brews before I was stable, since I didn't want to move them while fermenting. Only problem is now I need to find a place to store them when they are fermenting. My new house is bigger, but doesn't have as many dark places to hide the carboys away.

Meh, I have zero issue with the growler sizes here in Florida since I don't see a need for anything smaller than a gallon in a growler personally. One of our local breweries fills gallon growlers for $10 \m/

It could be worse; I believe in Georgia and Alabama it is still illegal to fill any growler.

I don't have any issue with the size, it's just that if I want 64oz of beer I need to buy two 32oz bottles. It's actually probably for the best since I don't have to worry about a 64oz growler going bad too soon, since I can keep half of it sealed in the 2nd 32oz bottle.

I just think it's fucking retarded that it is illegal to buy 64oz of beer in one 64oz container, but legal to buy 64oz of beer in two 32oz containers. I mean, why even fucking bother with the law? A state senator from Tampa tried to get it repealed a few years ago but failed. I hope he re-launches the campaign soon, just so we can be rid of nonsense nanny-state blue laws like this one.

This law probably causes more harm in my opinion. It's obviously designed to prevent bums from getting too drunk on 40oz of malt liquor. But all it really does is force them to buy two 32oz bottles of malt liquor instead of one 40oz bottle, thus resulting in them getting more drunk.

Top Bottom