• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Shoprite by me is incredible for beer. Just picked up some Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA. One of my favorites. The only thing they don't stock is true Belgian--no Duvel, Chimay etc.

IPA brew day!

Haven't done an IPA in a very long time. Just made up a grain bill at the store and using some banked up hops:

9 lb. 2-row
2 lb. Vienna
1/2 lb. of C-40
dash of CaraPils (maybe 1/4 lb.).
1 oz. Columbus (60m)
.5 oz. Amarillo, .5 oz. Simcoe (10m)
1 oz. Simcoe (5m)
1 oz. Amarillo (0m)
.5 oz Simcoe (dry)
.5 oz. Amarillo (dry)

Note: (17% AA (o_O) Columbus)

Sounds delicious. What yeast are you using?

I'll be heading over my buddies house after work today to brew an all grain and sunday I'm making an easy extract pumpkin ale.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Sounds delicious. What yeast are you using?

I'll be heading over my buddies house after work today to brew an all grain and sunday I'm making an easy extract pumpkin ale.

US-05. I have a stir plate and such, but I don't bother if I'm making a recipe that calls for WLP001 because US-05 is literally the same strain of yeast and the packets are 3 bucks.

Mully

699-1.jpg

Anyone else taste a hint of blueberry when you drink this? There's no blueberry in it, but there's a nice blueberry aftertaste.

US-05. I have a stir plate and such, but I don't bother if I'm making a recipe that calls for WLP001 because US-05 is literally the same strain of yeast and the packets are 3 bucks.

I never knew that they were the same. Thanks for that info. You just saved me some money. Any other comparable liquid/dry yeast strains you know of?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I never knew that they were the same. Thanks for that info. You just saved me some money. Any other comparable liquid/dry yeast strains you know of?
WLP001, Wyeast 1056 and US-05 are the same strain, Sierra Nevada's "Chico strain." Saflager W-34/70 is Weihenstephan's lager yeast. Don't know of any others.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

All the yeast companies basically steal from each other and from breweries to get their stocks.

But you will not get the same results with US05 as you do with 001 or 1056. Regardless of their similar origins, the results are different.

Angry Grimace

All the yeast companies basically steal from each other and from breweries to get their stocks.

But you will not get the same results with US05 as you do with 001 or 1056. Regardless of their similar origins, the results are different.

I've spoken to several professional brewers who disagree with this and people attempt split 10 gallon batches all the time on HBT and most of the time it seems like they can't notice an appreciable difference. In any case, I personally have never noticed an appreciable difference between them, particularly given that the strains are designed to not provide much, if any flavor at all in the first place.

Jarlaxle

080cedb02c449c658195c7827c17e72e.jpg

I'll be enjoying some of these tonight before they're all gone for the season. Although I am looking forward to some nice pumpkin ales again.

Quick question for beer GAF. I've been looking for many years at trying to get ahold of some BlackBeard Ale. It's made in the Virgin Islands and for the life of me can't figure out a way to either order some or find a distributor that would sell it in NY. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

grendelrt

I read that it's not available until Aug 13. Their anniversary IPAs are usually to die for but don't be surprised if you can't find it outside of southern California.

I got two Ruination 10th Anniversary edition last month in VA. But it was about 4 weeks after the official release before we got it. It sold out lightning quick too. Waiting on my friend to drink the first one and taking the second one on vacation end of this month mmmmm.

Angry Grimace

I got two Ruination 10th Anniversary edition last month in VA. But it was about 4 weeks after the official release before we got it. It sold out lightning quick too. Waiting on my friend to drink the first one and taking the second one on vacation end of this month mmmmm.

It's a palate wrecker for sure. I had a glass of it at Stone Bistro and I rather regretted getting it before dinner, but I enjoyed it, particularly the fact that unlike a lot of other 10+ ABV IPAs, it didn't take on a sweet Barleywine character.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I've spoken to several professional brewers who disagree with this and people attempt split 10 gallon batches all the time on HBT and most of the time it seems like they can't notice an appreciable difference.

Professional brewers can be biased when it comes to dry yeast because it is in their best interest (cost-wise) to believe that there is no difference between dry yeast and liquid yeast.

The difference isn't necessarily huge (not everyone will notice), and it certainly isn't necessarily worse (that is obviously subjective), but US05 does tend to have a peach ester where 001 and 1056 lack it.

But whenever I used to homebrew, I would use US05 and get perfectly fine results, especially in hoppy beers. In a professional setting though, I have not been happy with its flocculation, its ester profile, and its consistency in 10+ repitches. I just find that brewers will often let the initial cost savings blind them to the actual results they are getting.

Professional brewers can be biased when it comes to dry yeast because it is in their best interest (cost-wise) to believe that there is no difference between dry yeast and liquid yeast.

The difference isn't necessarily huge (not everyone will notice), and it certainly isn't necessarily worse (that is obviously subjective), but US05 does tend to have a peach ester where 001 and 1056 lack it.

But whenever I used to homebrew, I would use US05 and get perfectly fine results, especially in hoppy beers. In a professional setting though, I have not been happy with its flocculation, its ester profile, and its consistency in 10+ repitches. I just find that brewers will often let the initial cost savings blind them to the actual results they are getting.

There's so much contradictory info out in the brewing world it's hard not to take everything you hear with a grain of salt sometimes. I generally use liquid just out of habit. The biggest difference I've heard of is simply selection.

Remind me where you work again? I'm putting in 9 to 5s at a call center right now trying to pay off my credit cards and student loans and it's so shitty psychologically. I just want to go to every brewery in town and beg them to let me scrub out their mash tuns and shovel their spent grain. Does it ever feel too much like work? I'd hate to ruin beer with work

Anyone get GABF tickets? Sold out in 45 minutes! So disappointing

dekline

Bought a six pack of hemp ale for the first time here in California and was pretty disappointed. For some reason it tasted vaguely like soy sauce to me.

On the flip side Jester King's Black Metal Imperial Stout a.k.a. Suds of Northern Darkness was delicious.

thespot84

I wonder how bad Stub Hub will screw me

bad, they're selling for 2x right now. My friend decided to try and scalp the scalpers and bought 8, but they're paper tix so he has to wait until the arrive to sell them.

A similar thing happened last year, and by the day of the festival you could buy tickets on the street for face value. Just be patient...

fenners

On the flip side Jester King's Black Metal Imperial Stout a.k.a. Suds of Northern Darkness was delicious.

Farmhouse version, right? I think that's all they're distributing these days.

Love Jester King. They can do no wrong in my eyes. Haven't had a bad beer from them.

Angry Grimace

Farmhouse version, right? I think that's all they're distributing these days.

Love Jester King. They can do no wrong in my eyes. Haven't had a bad beer from them.

They switched to "farmhouse brewing," which from what I've heard through the pipeline means they had a persistent infection that they couldn't get rid of so they just marketed themselves as a "farmhouse brewery."

In Homebrewing news, my IPA is fermenting away, but not nearly as vigorously as when I used WLP090 San Diego Super Strain (on a Citra Pale ale). WLP090 is such a beast of a yeast strain - I might try it again on my next IPA, although I'm often too disorganized to have starters ready.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
just got back from the sierra nevada brewery and tried out one of the 2012 beer camp brews, the floral IPA. i must say, its an amazing beer and shot instantly to my top tastes of all time. very nice floral aftertaste. very tempted to try and replicate it, or do something similar with my next homebrew. i picked up a case on my way out (hope the other 3 beers included are decent - would prefer all floral ipa though)

Sierra-Nevada-Floral-IPA.jpeg

Jamesways

Anyone in the Wisconsin area and had this? In the Best of Poll in the Isthmus in Madison, it beat out New Glarus Spotted Cow as best local beer last year. It probably will this year too.
Ale Asylum Hopalicious
4797238781_f8cdd5e069_z.jpg

Fantastic Hopped Ale. Very good. Multiple additions of Cascade Hops through the process. Man, I love Cascade and Centennial hops.

Holy shit! Fremont 6-packs? Where did you get those?

Fremont has been canning at the brewery for a while now in unmarked cans. The labeled ones rolled out last week. I picked 'em up at the Whole Foods by my house. Right now Interurban, Universale and Summer are canned, but they're planning on getting Dark Star, Abominable, The Brother, etc. in cans by years end.

Malvolio

Anyone in the Wisconsin area and had this? In the Best of Poll in the Isthmus in Madison, it beat out New Glarus Spotted Cow as best local beer last year. It probably will this year too.
Ale Asylum Hopalicious
4797238781_f8cdd5e069_z.jpg

Fantastic Hopped Ale. Very good. Multiple additions of Cascade Hops through the process. Man, I love Cascade and Centennial hops.

Have not tried that yet, but I'll be up in Madison this weekend for the Great Taste. I'll do my best to search it out. If it's as good or better than Glarus SC then I'm in for a treat.

matt360

699-1.jpg

Anyone else taste a hint of blueberry when you drink this? There's no blueberry in it, but there's a nice blueberry aftertaste.

Ah, the Fruity Pebbles beer! I really like it. I always get one or two whenever I come home to the states.

fenners

My kids were sick off & on last week (different times for each kid). My wife spent last night being violently sick causing her to spend today in bed so she's been unable to buy any last minute presents/cards for my birthday tomorrow (yeah, she *always* leaves it to the last minute...).

So I'm having one of these as I deserve it.

Product%20-%20Avery%20Reverend.preview.jpg

I went to a bar for the first time today and ordered a Guinness. It was from the tap and it tasted different from what you'd get from a bottle imo or maybe I'm just crazy. It was less fizzier and had a silky smooth quality..

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I went to a bar for the first time today and ordered a Guinness. It was from the tap and it tasted different from what you'd get from a bottle imo or maybe I'm just crazy. It was less fizzier and had a silky smooth quality..

It is the result of a restrictor plate in the tap that strips most of the carbonation out and gives it the cascading bubbles, creamy head, and smooth taste.

It is the same thing as sparklers on some hand pumps in England.

People will say it is the nitrogen, but it is the restrictor plate.

dekline

WAFF7.jpg

So it's safe to say this is one of my new favorite beers. I love how you taste the chocolate first and the spices immediately after. Nothing is overpowering but some people might be put off by the ancho chilies which sticks with you for awhile.

So good.

Finally got keezer v1.5 up and running. This time with a new and improved collar that actually fits. Turns out I am no good and woodworking, even if it is simply making a square box haha.
PaVcal.jpg

My kids were sick off & on last week (different times for each kid). My wife spent last night being violently sick causing her to spend today in bed so she's been unable to buy any last minute presents/cards for my birthday tomorrow (yeah, she *always* leaves it to the last minute...).

So I'm having one of these as I deserve it.

Product%20-%20Avery%20Reverend.preview.jpg
Also, I could definitely go for a reverend or salvation right now. I miss having Avery here...

Just got back from a founders event one of the other reps at my company had. KBS and CBS bitches!

Both kegs kicked in like 18 minutes.

Gotta admit though, I thought the franjelic mountain brown blew them out of the water.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Fremont has been canning at the brewery for a while now in unmarked cans. The labeled ones rolled out last week. I picked 'em up at the Whole Foods by my house. Right now Interurban, Universale and Summer are canned, but they're planning on getting Dark Star, Abominable, The Brother, etc. in cans by years end.

You live around Greenlake, right? The Whole Foods there on Aurora?

You live around Greenlake, right? The Whole Foods there on Aurora?

Yep, I live in Greenlake about four or five blocks from the Whole Foods on Roosevelt. There is a PCC on Aurora, but they're actually building one two blocks from my house in that gigantic whole.

Ekdrm2d1

This is my first posting in The Beer Thread :)
I have thousands of photos of the span -15 years.

Anchor Christmas Ale 2011 mixed with Lagunitas Undercover Investigation Shut-Down Ale poured in a Maredsous glass made by Ritzenhoff Cristal (RC).
Double IPA + Christmas Ale is awesome.

img3504yv.jpg

img3505y.jpg

Ekdrm2d1

Samuel Adams Cinder Bock poured in a Gordon Biersch Maibock glass made by SOHM.
Very good tasting and smelling notes! Tones of spice, like smoked cider wood.
Highly recommend this 10/10
img3487v.jpg

img3488ei.jpg

Top Bottom