• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Ya I have been told that, which is fascinating. I will take that to heart and throw two somewhere cool and dark.

I got two bottles for $40 about 2-3 years ago. I drank one with my friends (three of us split a 6 pack off eBay) and saved the other one. I just drank it last month to celebrate buying my first house. I didn't notice any real change, but I hadn't cellared it for long. I was very happy that I saved it so I could enjoy it on a special occasion.

andylsun

How many homebrewers do we have around here? I think it would be great to have a homebrew OT.

That would be good. Brewed 4 extract and 2 all-grain beers in the last year. Have only bought a four-pack of commercial beer since Christmas (Heady Topper). The brewing process is almost as much fun as actually drinking the stuff.

We have a work off-site party in the middle of August and I'll be taking a 5 gal keg full of Belgium Blonde - should be a hit.

A few nights ago I picked up a 4-pack of The Sixth Glass from Boulevard.
That beer is....a little too good. I ended up staying up til 5 AM drinking all 4. Not my strongest moment.

It's strange to say, but my only complaint was that at 10.5% ABV, I found myself wishing that the alcohol was a little MORE noticeable. I was looking forward to that slight warming feeling on the back of your tongue you get with the bigger beers, but the alcohol is hidden so adeptly that I couldn't really taste it.

Anywho, impressed with that one, want to try something else from their Smokestack series. Might go for the IPA this weekend.

2ibTF.jpg

Had lunch at Big Time and picked up a bomber of Old Sol 2012. Very tasty wheatwine.

maggiespharmer

Neo Member
Just picked up a bottle of dogfishhead 120 minute ipa. Can't wait to try it later. It is the most expensive beer I've bought at $10 for a 12oz bottle excluding buying drinks at concerts/sporting events. Hoping it lives up to the hype.

Drinking some Widmer Brother Hefeweizen with a lemon in it. So good. Unfortunately I'm working on my work portfolio (self-eval + updating resume, references, continuing education, narrative, etc) tonight since it's due early next week. Fuuuuuu

Thankfully I have beer and
mostly
good music in the gaf plug.dj room.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Just picked up a bottle of dogfishhead 120 minute ipa. Can't wait to try it later. It is the most expensive beer I've bought at $10 for a 12oz bottle excluding buying drinks at concerts/sporting events. Hoping it lives up to the hype.

Deflate your expectations.

I homebrew also, but I'm not quite sure there's enough people to really keep a thread going, although an well-done OP it might get some people into it.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
I homebrew also, but I'm not quite sure there's enough people to really keep a thread going, although an well-done OP it might get some people into it.
also homebrew, but im pretty new. have only done 5 batches or so. bottled an APA last weekend, tried it a bit early yesterday and im really happy with it.

maggiespharmer

Neo Member
Yeah i figured the 120 minute ipa had a lot to do with hype. I am still very interested in it especially after I just read about the brew process. Wasn't able to get around to trying it last night but will post my impressions when I do.

I also homebrew and interested in a thread. just cracked open a delicious pauliner clone that came out awesome. What a great summer beer.

Are there any good breweries in the DFW area worth checking out? I'm going to be there in a few weeks for a wedding, and during one of the days I'll be on my own to entertain myself.

Rain_on_me

Neo Member
Alright so maybe BeerGAF can halp me out. I've been searching for a beer that I had a few years ago and LOVED, but I can't remember the name of it for the life of me.
All I know is that its a Belgium style beer, I dunno if its a lager or ale or whatever. It had a bit of a sweet taste to it, and IIRC, had a red/gold/brown label.

Hi,

I just came across this thread today and was wondering if the beer you were referring to was Duvel?
Anyways, if you already got the name great, but another great Belgian beer to try is Hoegaarden :)

Cheers

qMpgq.jpg

For the past month or two all I've been buying is Sierra Nevada Torpedo but I've gotten tired of it so I picked some random pale ales this time. I drank the Goose Island IPA at a bar in NY a couple weeks ago and I liked it a lot, I'm drinking the Green Flash for the first time right now (wasn't worth the $12/4 that I paid), and it'll be my first time trying the Samuel Smith's Pale Ale.

Headed up to Vancouver on Saturday... making my list of beers that we don't get in Washington... Cantillon, Fantome, Baird... so awesome, but so expensive...

don't they vote pliny like best beer in every category in every year on every planet in every universe ever?

That's the website which is based on user reviews. The magazine is put together by the guys who run the website.

qMpgq.jpg

For the past month or two all I've been buying is Sierra Nevada Torpedo but I've gotten tired of it so I picked some random pale ales this time. I drank the Goose Island IPA at a bar in NY a couple weeks ago and I liked it a lot, I'm drinking the Green Flash for the first time right now (wasn't worth the $12/4 that I paid), and it'll be my first time trying the Samuel Smith's Pale Ale.
I just noticed Green Flash at my store recently, was curious about it. I'll probably pick it up sometime. Just got a 12 pack of Great Divide Brewer's Pick. Never tried anything from this brewery before

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
u5Yww.jpg

I couldn't pass this one up, even at $17. It was a pretty beery day around here. I've got 5 gallons of an IPA to keg, 5 gallons of a chocolate wheat belgian to ferment, a growler of coffee porter, and a bottle of maple bacon ale to drink. Good times!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
u5Yww.jpg

I couldn't pass this one up, even at $17. It was a pretty beery day around here. I've got 5 gallons of an IPA to keg, 5 gallons of a chocolate wheat belgian to ferment, a growler of coffee porter, and a bottle of maple bacon ale to drink. Good times!
More like three swallows of maple bacon ale.

fenners

Busy day keeping my two kids busy while doing errands. Treating myself to a bottle of Rogness Gigantophis, an imperial IPA brewed in my home town by the owner of Austin Homebrew Supply, one of the biggest/best homebrew stores in the US.

Fantastic beer by great guys. This particular bottle's a little flat unfortunately, but I'm not going to worry about it.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I'm pleasantly surprised by this bacon maple beer. Totally drinkable. It simultaneously tastes like a good beer and a good donut.

I like Green Flash's Rayon Vert.
Not sure it Rayon Vert was available, they had four different brews, so I'll keep an eye out for it next time I'm in. In other news, tried all four different brews in Great Divide's Brewers Picks; and only really enjoyed Samurai and the raspberry one. Their Pale Ale and Colette didn't leave much of an impression, might grow on me though, we'll see

That bomber (?) of Rogue Voodoo sounds pretty interesting, but damn, at $17 a pop, that sound like a whole lotta NOPE in my book

It's official: Fall seasonals are here. Picked up Blue Moon's pumpkin ale and, while not my favorite pumpkin brew, it's proving quite nice as a reminder of good things yet to come.

I don't know if Beer GAF has a lot of cider drinkers, but Woodchuck's fall seasonal is sooooo goooood.

Just got a 12 pack of Great Divide Brewer's Pick. Never tried anything from this brewery before

^ Great Divide makes some really good IPAs, if you are into that.

On an unrelated note, I went to the liquor store today and meant to pick up a few bottles of Franziskaner but got distracted.

I saw they had a sour ale called Monk's Cafe. Bought it for almost $4, what a waste. It's vastly inferior to Duchesse de Bourgogne in every way. The marketing on the bottle almost reads like they were directly trying to rip off the Duchesse too. I felt dumb drinking it.

On an unrelated note, I went to the liquor store today and meant to pick up a few bottles of Franziskaner but got distracted.

I saw they had a sour ale called Monk's Cafe. Bought it for almost $4, what a waste. It's vastly inferior to Duchesse de Bourgogne in every way. The marketing on the bottle almost reads like they were directly trying to rip off the Duchesse too. I felt dumb drinking it.
I do enjoy a good IPA yes. But sadly there wasnt any to be found in the brewers pick pack I got. I did enjoy the Samurai rice ale a lot and the raspberry ale was really interesting for a fruit beer. I'll keep an eye out for their IPA but Im not particularly hurting for selection when it comes to IPAs lol

thespot84

have you had Rumble yet?

Tunic

Picked up a mixed 6 pack of beers that I haven't tried before. I hope to enjoy them during my days off the next 2 days.

Wingman P-51 Porter
Joseph James Hop Box Imperial IPA
Maui Brewing Co. Sobrehumano Palena’ole
Fearless Brewing Mjolnir Imperial IPA
Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout
Firestone Walker Double DBA

Angry Grimace

IPA brew day!

Haven't done an IPA in a very long time. Just made up a grain bill at the store and using some banked up hops:

9 lb. 2-row
2 lb. Vienna
1/2 lb. of C-40
dash of CaraPils (maybe 1/4 lb.).
1 oz. Columbus (60m)
.5 oz. Amarillo, .5 oz. Simcoe (10m)
1 oz. Simcoe (5m)
1 oz. Amarillo (0m)
.5 oz Simcoe (dry)
.5 oz. Amarillo (dry)

Note: (17% AA (o_O) Columbus)

Yes Boss!

Been in Germany for 2 1/2 years but missed Volksfest both years. Got to try one of the bottled beers. $1, gotta love german beer prices! Probably head out for a liter or two tomorrow.

869a13fa.jpg

Top Bottom