• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

gonna try one of these tonight
74003ecc1a77438503d9f6aa695d4c70_320x320.jpg

I have not tried any Breckenridge, so I'm looking forward to it. I'm still interested in having a homebrew OT. How many homebrewers would be interested in having an OT to discuss homebrew and trade brews? I'd love to trade homebrews with some gaffers.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think it might be their worse beer, beyond watery, with very little flavor besides that of an unripened watermelon

Watermelon itself is a very low flavor fruit; when you make it at home you can't really add any flavor without serious amounts of extracted fruit.

andylsun

Danger. Beer pipeline running low.

Had a Belgium Blonde ready for a work party next week in a keg, a Belgium Triple which will be bottled and put in the basement until New Year, but it's my birthday in a couple of weeks and wanted something that would be ready by then. Boddington's (Strangeways style) is quick, and Safale S-04 doesn't hang around.

Will keg after 10 days and should be good.

mwObom.jpg

DXjWim.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
472756e9.jpg

Jolly Pumpkin La Roja
Sand Creek Badger Porter
Sand Creek Oscar's Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Boulder Beer Mojo IPA
Bell's Kalamazoo Stout
Pearl Street That's What I'm Talkin' 'Bout Rolled Oat Stout
Sprecher Pipers Scotch-Style Ale
Moylan's Dragoons Dry Irish Stout

My dad bought these for me while he was up in Michigan (except La Roja...I bought that because it's INCREDIBLE). Looking forward to trying these over the next week!

aceface

080cedb02c449c658195c7827c17e72e.jpg

I'll be enjoying some of these tonight before they're all gone for the season. Although I am looking forward to some nice pumpkin ales again.

Not my favorite Saranac, I preferred their Pomegranate Wheat when it comes to fruit beer to be honest. I'm drinking the Saranac Session IPA from their 12 beers of summer right now and it's delicious.

ZY5wz.jpg

My first Saison.
Really loving the honey notes in this.

Great choice! I live about halfway between the Matt's Brewery (Saranac) and the Ommegang Brewery in Upstate NY. A great place for beer! A friend of mine volunteers at Ommegang for their concerts and events...they don't pay him any money but he gets cases of beer instead. He dropped me off two big bottles of 3 Philosophers today, can't wait to drink them.

dekline

XqlxL.jpg

It's called Lost & Found and comes from the lost abbey brewery.

A beer that, according to the bottle: "Breathes aromas of figs, raisins and candied fruits."

Pretty good.

thespot84

XqlxL.jpg

It's called Lost & Found and comes from the lost abbey brewery.

A beer that, according to the bottle: "Breathes aromas of figs, raisins and candied fruits."

Pretty good.

I bought this on a whim and it's been sitting in my fridge for a while. You've inspired me to finally pop it open!

Yes Boss!

Spending the weekend in Belgium. Got some of my favorites to take back to germany. Doubt I'll do Octoberfest this year, drinking Belgians instead! As usual, inexpensive in the supermarket. Spent about $65 for 36 beers. Have not been in Belgium since summer 2011 so I'm not sure if the Tripel Hop Duvel is new, but definitely want to try it.

808b8131.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Spending the weekend in Belgium. Got some of my favorites to take back to germany. Doubt I'll do Octoberfest this year, drinking Belgians instead! As usual, inexpensive in the supermarket. Spent about $65 for 36 beers. Have not been in Belgium since summer 2011 so I'm not sure if the Tripel Hop Duvel is new, but definitely want to try it.

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv358/gbuczek/808b8131.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I don't suppose there's any way to get to Westvleteren...

Yes Boss!

I don't suppose there's any way to get to Westvleteren...

Not at this time. I'm spending the weekend at a friends family house in Antwerp and you gotta do a reservation, etc. I'll be in Brussels on Sunday so I might get one there. Just been getting the usuals when going out to eat: Hoegaardens, La Chouffe. Leffe.

Sadly, moving back to the states in the fall (to Washington DC, close to Dogfish!) so this will be my last trip to Belgium for the next five years or so. Next time I get out to Antwerp I'm gonna set up a reservation and go to Westvleteren.

It has been a good beer month for me! Went to Russian River and Lagunitas a few weeks back, drank a bunch of Japanese beer in Tokyo, went to Volkfest in Bavaria, and capped it with a trip to Antwerp.

TheExodu5

Banned
Apparently the LCBO (Ontario) is in talks with the distributor to get Westvleteren 12 gift packs (6 bottles) in stock. They are available in the West already, I believe. I hope they do get them in, and I hope I can snatch one up.

Angry Grimace

A guy I know insists that Westy 12 is *totally* worth the hype.

I'm not a huge fan of the Strong Dark Ale style, but hey, rare

I went from living in beer heaven (Oregon) to living in beer hell (Utah) in the past month. Finally had the chance to stop by one of their state-ran Liquor stores to get the "good beer" aka beer with ABV higher than 5%, but was shocked to find the selection to be more subpar than a random grocery store in Oregon. Was it just the one I went to or are they all basically the same? At least I found a few things to try...

2012-08-10173512.jpg

Mississippi Mud: Black & Tan Porter & Pilsner by Mississippi Brewing Company - 5% ABV (Bought for the sweet moonshine style jug and because I love black & tan mixed beers oh and it was dirt cheap too)

The Sixth Glass Quadrupel Ale by Boulevard Brewing Company - 10.5% ABV (Bought because the last beer I had by them was crazy good)

Rio's Rompin Rye Beer by EPIC Brewing Company - 5.5% ABV (Decided to give a local beer a try and it's basically named after me, so it should be good right?)

I'll post back when I finally get the chance to try 'em.

Spending the weekend in Belgium. Got some of my favorites to take back to germany. Doubt I'll do Octoberfest this year, drinking Belgians instead! As usual, inexpensive in the supermarket. Spent about $65 for 36 beers. Have not been in Belgium since summer 2011 so I'm not sure if the Tripel Hop Duvel is new, but definitely want to try it

Going into a Belgian supermarket made me want to cry. There was even Rodenbach in cans! I was only in Brussels for a couple days but visiting Cantillon was definitely the highlight of my entire trip. Saw a Westy for something like 10 euro at a bar, but I'm not a huge fan of quads in general so I spent that amount on two glasses of lambic and kriek on cask instead. Duvel Tripel Hop is great, you won't be disappointed.

dekline

Picked these up today from whole foods

xVV3N.jpg

From left to right:

- Judgement day ale from the lost abbey brewery. I enjoyed their lost and found ale so I picked this up (I like the picture too).

- Tripel karmeliet. Made with three kinds of grain: wheat, oats and barley.

- Urkontinent. This comes from dogfish head. It's an ale made with wattle seed, amaranth, rooibos, myrica gale and honey.

I'm drinking urkontinent right now and wow...Am I alone in thinking dogfish head makes some of the best beer ever?

Ekdrm2d1

Tonight's offerings. North Coast's Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout.
img3530uh.jpg

Russian Imperial Stout mixed with Double IPA
4MwR6.gif

Love the Rare Vos tumbler too
*Notice the gold linings round the glass and beer bottle. They are matched even! Perfect gold-band lineup.

img3533x.jpg

img3534c.jpg

Edit: I mix beers because I've been drinking the selected beers for 10+ years. Time to get creative, try something new. Too bad I can't travel to another state on the weekends and find 50% new beer
2ixb5.gif

HiResDes

Haven't been here in a while and I feel like I've tried at least a hundred new beers since my last post. Anyway the local bar had Magic Hat's Elder Betty on tap, that was the hot new thing. I must say it is one of the easiest beers to drink I've ever had. It's a summery ale, with just the right amount of hops, not overbearing like an IPA or any Stone offering. The mouthfeel is also very light, but with just enough body to avoid being watery. The initial taste is slightly sweet, with a small bit of maltiness and it carries a forbearing of the fruitiness that is come. The finish is incredible, quite sweet, with a fruitiness that kind of reminds of the way strawberry Twizzlers would taste if they tasted more like they how smelled. I know that doesn't make sense, but that's the easiest way for me to describe. It tastes like a bunch of berries, with Twizzlers strawberry being in the forefront. There's pretty much no bitterness at all in this beer, just a bit of sour to counter the sweetness. None of the flavors seem to linger on your palette very long, which really just adds to its drinkability. And at $3 for 16oz. this could have been such a might session beer.

....The bar also had one of my old standbys (Old Rasputin) in a 16oz. for $4. The bartender mistakenly poured my first in a 10 oz glass and then poured me the 16oz for free. What a start. I got really drunk : )

Edit: $45 DAMN

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
pvtYS.jpg

Lucky find! I forgot I bought this beer last Christmas. Moved and travelled around last winter, then unpacked some boxes and stumbled upon this: Weihenstephaner vitus Weizenbock. God-tier Weizen.

Angry Grimace

I went to a bar pouring Parabola and they ran out as I wait for the bartender to walk back over to take my order :cry:

dekline

Picked these up earlier today

cG9QA.jpg

Red & White from Dogfish Head brewery. Description from the website:

"...brewed with coriander and orange peel and fermented with pinot noir juice. After fermentation, a fraction of the batch is aged in one of our 10,000-gallon oak tanks."

On the right is a sorghum beer. Don't really know anything about it other than it's made using sorghum and not wheat or barley.

dekline

That's nothin'. I spent roughly $70 on the three Cantillons.

Good beer definitely comes at a price.

I have never drank beer in my life, not even a taste. Curious to what someo of you think?

It seems like beer is always hated when you first drink it. I don't know what drives people to enjoy it. There are literally thousands of beers out there. You just have to find something that you enjoy.

Hey now, don't deny yourself good reasonably priced 6-packs of local craft beer. For every OMG must have bomber, I'm still just as thrilled with a 6-pack from Fremont Brewing.

I picked up a 4-pack of Yeti from Great Divide.
It was twice as expensive as a 4-pack of Old Rasputin, so I'm expecting great things.

I also got two beers from Anchor - Liberty Ale and Berkley's Brown.

I had their Porter last week and really liked it, so I figured I give these a shot as well.

edit - ok Yeti is delicious
This is extremely good.

Ekdrm2d1 said:
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6967/img3526l.jpg

I'm not trying to diss a man's beer or anything, but I have to say that I tried that Monk's Cafe and thought it was terrible.

I've only had two Flemish Sours, the Monk's Cafe and Duchesse de Bourgogne.
The Monk's Cafe tasted like a cheap rip off of Duchesse de Bourgogne, which I wasn't expecting because it was just as expensive.
Was not happy with that beer at all.

In Portland, Oregon for a couple of days.

Already hit up Rogue Ale House and had Hazelnut Brown, Mom's Hefeweizen, Mocha Porter, and the Morimoto Pilsner. Always intrigued by the Voodoo Maple Bacon doughnut one, but not by the bottle. Too bad they didn't have tasters for it.

Gonna hit up Deschutes tonight, and hopefully Cascade to try their Sang Noir.
Anything else someone wants to recommend?

I picked up a 4-pack of Yeti from Great Divide.
It was twice as expensive as a 4-pack of Old Rasputin, so I'm expecting great things.

I also got two beers from Anchor - Liberty Ale and Berkley's Brown.

I had their Porter last week and really liked it, so I figured I give these a shot as well.

edit - ok Yeti is delicious
This is extremely good.

I'm not trying to diss a man's beer or anything, but I have to say that I tried that Monk's Cafe and thought it was terrible.

I've only had two Flemish Sours, the Monk's Cafe and Duchesse de Bourgogne.
The Monk's Cafe tasted like a cheap rip off of Duchesse de Bourgogne, which I wasn't expecting because it was just as expensive.
Was not happy with that beer at all.

Yes, Yeti is a good beer. Now go find all the varieties, Oak, Chocolate Oak, Espresso, Belginan, etc. All delicious.

Re: Monk's Cafe & Duchesse, I am the exact opposite. Monks to me a a much more drinkable and refreshing red, where the few times I've had Duchesse it's had a really strong acetic character, one time to the point of being like salad dressing. Grated, I've never had it out of the bottle, only on tap, so maybe someone needs a good discussion on cleaning tap lines.

Lately I've been on a Ska Mexican Logger kick. Great beer for these hot days. I've even been known to enjoy it with a bit of lime and salt (blasphemy, I know)

dubc35

I've only had Yeti a couple times, great beer.

I've enjoyed some Sierra Nevada the last couple days (the Budweiser of GAF beer thread). Pale Ale and Torpedo IPA, both tasty as always.

^ Have you tried their Hoptimum?

follow up on the Yeti, I liked the first bottle but I couldn't bring myself to drink another one this same night.
Very good beer but I kind of wish I didn't have 3 of them left.

^ Have you tried their Hoptimum?

follow up on the Yeti, I liked the first bottle but I couldn't bring myself to drink another one this same night.
Very good beer but I kind of wish I didn't have 3 of them left.
Stash it in the back of the fridge and pull them out after 6 months,a year,2 years...it'll only get better as it ages.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/48682191/ns/today-food/#.UCx_dBqe6kI

MSNBC said:
During his bus tour across the battleground state of Iowa, the president on Tuesday gave a bottle of the brew, known as White House Honey Ale, to a patron of a Knoxville, Iowa, coffee shop when the subject of beer came up.

Gotta start following Obama's campaign tour and get my hands on some of that brew! LOL

In all realness though, honey ales are pretty darn refreshing.

Where's the best place to buy beer in the South Bay Area?

well, you can buy a small selection to go at Harry's Hofbrau off of Saratoga. They have a really good beer selection there and the guy who owns the place plays on my hockey team and really knows his stuff, so I'm there every week.

Not too many places I can think of to get some good stuff to bring home other than Whole Foods. One guy I know used to be the beer buyer for Whole Foods in Campbell, but he moved to the Redwood City store. There's a new grocery store off Almaden called Sunflower that has some decent stuff like Rogue, Russian River, Stone, etc.

Random liquor stored called Maplewood off Bascom has a small selection of stuff.

There's nothing like a beer store in the South Bay Area though. Nearest I know of is Gourmet Haus Stadt in Redwood City for german/belgian or for a wider selection you gotta go to City Beer in SF or Beer Revolution in Oakland for that.

As far as bars/pubs...A new bar called Original Gravity in downtown SJ is supposed to be good, haven't been there though. Good Karma is a vegan spot nearby. Small selection on tap, but has good stuff and knows their beers. Oddly enough, Smoke Eaters starting to carry some Russian River, Stone, etc stuff. Teske's for all the belgian stuff.

dekline

Where's the best place to buy beer in the South Bay Area?

Whole foods bro! That's where I've been getting my stuff lately (San jose here).

In fact here's my whole foods pickup from today:

EcGD6.jpg

Left to right...

-Banana bread beer. Brewed with bananas obviously. I'm drinking it now and I'm really surprised how much it actually tastes like banana bread. Usually beers with specific flavors taste "off" if you know what I mean.

-Serpent's Stout from the lost abbey brewery. From the website: "The taste is rich with deep roasted malts, cocoa, coffee and a touch of vanilla balanced perfectly against the alcohol..." And at 11% abv it should give a nice buzz.

-Old Rasputin Russian imperial stout. Picked it up finally because of this thread so I'm curious to try it. Maybe not tonight. We'll see.

dekline

New brews

5do82.jpg

Loving the Sah'tea. Black chai tea + juniper berries go well together.

I might have to try the smoked porter with chipotle peppers tonight too...Sounds to interesting not to.

Not pictured: Sake

vidcons

Banned
Last night I had a Milk Stout from Left Handed Brewing on tap. Absolutely amazing. A real creamy, sweet start but started to get a little more sour as I got deeper in. Probably couldn't do more than two but still... I was just not ready for Whipped Cream of Beer.

Right now, sipping on some Tommyknocker Saison. Not a great Saison. I'd say it's more like a really sweet IPA. Hint of some simcose hops? Not positive on that, can't tell if that's a lemony sent or cat piss.

A nice beer to have on a cool summer's night when you're already a couple in. Probably should have got some Old Chub since the prices were the same but, ya know, gotta try 'em all.

PG2G

I had a pretty good beer run yesterday

2 4 packs of Oskar Blues G'Knight
1 bottle of Straffe Hendricks Quad
1 bottle of Russian River Supplication
1 6 pack of Gimbergen Dubbel

My wallet hated my liquor store :/

Top Bottom