• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

I had a great Friday concerning beer. Stopped in at Latona Pub for their 25th Anniversary celebration, had a pint of Sound Brewing's Latona IPA, then went over to Uber Tavern with some friends and had Cascade's Summer Gose and Double Mountain's Rainier Kriek. Then went to dinner with the wife and kiddo at Mutiny Hall and killed their keg of The Abyss 2011.

thabiz

Having a nice medley tonight.

Flying Monkey Hoptical Illusion (Ontario Craft, pale ale 5.0%)

Magic Hat #9 (Vermont Craft, almost pale 5.1%)

Both very nice. Going to be great Autumn beers.

johnsmith

remember me
8.6%
Not easy to drink.
pbw6u.jpg

dekline

Drinking my 1 pint/9.7 fl. oz. maredsous tripel tonight. 10% abv. Massive, thick head. The last tripel I drank had me disappointed but this is surprisingly good.

Time to make a sandwich.

andylsun

Mad Scientist mode on

Lager Yeast
R6LtKl.jpg

Temperature controlled freezer
H9gjLl.jpg

Home Made Stir plate for first lager starter
2cAt3l.jpg

Sweet
njPmPl.jpg

My wife's not really liked my Ale homebrews, and my mum and dad are coming to stay as it's my birthday.

Time to switch to making Bohemiam Pilsner! My dad is a former high-school chemistry head, so we're going to have a blast. Should have it kegged ready to drink in time for Christmas.

Will make the starter Friday night and brew Saturday morning.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
homebrew gaf, need your advice!

woke up this morning to check on my latest 5 gal batch, and this is what greeted me.
7825526146_df284ab7b5_z.jpg

the air lock is bubbling like crazy, and as you can see, there is some significant overflow! do i have anything to worry about, other then lost beer?

belvedere

Junior Butler

woke up this morning to check on my latest 5 gal batch, and this is what greeted me.

the air lock is bubbling like crazy, and as you can see, there is some significant overflow! do i have anything to worry about, other then lost beer?

How full was your bucket/carboy?

It looks like a bucket so the easiest thing to do would be crack the lid slightly for a few hours.

op_ivy

How full was your bucket/carboy?

It looks like a bucket so the easiest thing to do would be crack the lid slightly for a few hours.

it had just a hair over 5 gallons in it which left 2-3 inches to the top. i did use a starter for my yeast for the first time ever, maybe thats the cause of it.

would it hurt anything to leave it be and just let it run its course?

belvedere

Junior Butler
it had just a hair over 5 gallons in it which left 2-3 inches to the top. i did use a starter for my yeast for the first time ever, maybe thats the cause of it.

Absolutely, it's not going to hurt anything. You could also rinse out your airlock quickly then put it back on.

thabiz

leave it. knowing how the universe works, trying to do something about is just going to make it worse.

leave it. knowing how the universe works, trying to do something about is just going to make it worse.

Until it clogs, pressure builds up, and you have the contents of the bucket shot all over the room the fermentor is in. I'd either

a. Put the fermentor in a bucket and crack the lid for a day or so until fermentation settles down a bit

or

b. Pull out the airlock, rinse with clean water or StarSan and replace. Repeat every 8 to 12 hours or until fermentation settles down.

You can always just leave it, but I did that once and it ended up all over my basement.
I would recommend looking into a blowoff tube for your next batch.

op_ivy

Until it clogs, pressure builds up, and you have the contents of the bucket shot all over the room the fermentor is in. I'd either

a. Put the fermentor in a bucket and crack the lid for a day or so until fermentation settles down a bit

or

b. Pull out the airlock, rinse with clean water or StarSan and replace. Repeat every 8 to 12 hours or until fermentation settles down.

You can always just leave it, but I did that once and it ended up all over my basement.
I would recommend looking into a blowoff tube for your next batch.

thanks

I would take it off, wash and sanitize it, then replace. Next time, try using a blow off tube into a growler of sanitary solution until it settles.

fat pat

If you have am autosiphon, the tube from it should fit nice and snug into the rubber grommet in the top of your lid, use that and run it into a bucket of water, easy blowoff tube. Otherwise just check it frequently to make sure its not clogged.

HiResDes

not my favorite, but it's by no means crappy...Pretty much the gold standard in some regards. I think Two-Hearted makes for a better session beer.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I just feel the hop balance is better than most IPAs, which really become harsh on the palette after a while.

That is a different thing than to call something a session. While the term has become adulterated in the US, I think it should still be kept to beers moderate in alcohol (ideally below 4%, though in the US beer market below 5% makes more sense), otherwise the term becomes nearly useless since it is applied far too broadly.

HiResDes

tempting me with my favorite beer, for shame...Loving New Holland's Ichabod at the moment, even better on draft at the local bar

Askani

It's been disappearing off the shelves here pretty fast, but I finally got a 6 pack of Boulevard's new 80 - Acre "Hoppy Wheat Beer".

It's really tasty. Boulevard Wheat is my go-to beer, but I just can't seem to get into IPAs. This really is like a cross between a mild IPA and a Wheat beer. I got to try it once about a year ago when I took a tour of the bottling plant, and now it's finally made it out to the regular line. It'll be a nice beer to add to my regular rotations.

Photo (not mine):
1344269199-screen_shot_2012-08-06_at_11.04.22_am.png

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
What hype?

Everyone goes ape shit when they put it on draft by me. And other people I know get all giddy about it when they see it on sale. It's like they become beer nuts, but ONLY for that beer. The thing is, it's really nothing special. I can't even say, "Well, it's a good fall beer," but it's not. I'll grab SO many other bottles from my fridge before I'll hunt down a 6-pack of that stuff.

HiResDes

Everyone goes ape shit when they put it on draft by me. And other people I know get all giddy about it when they see it on sale. It's like they become beer nuts, but ONLY for that beer. The thing is, it's really nothing special. I can't even say, "Well, it's a good fall beer," but it's not. I'll grab SO many other bottles from my fridge before I'll hunt down a 6-pack of that stuff.

Nobody in this thread has hyped it, that's for sure.

How to speak Australian

nqRYB.jpg

I actually don't know that I've ever had a Foster's, that can does remind me of the first time I had a Bud. It was in Canada after my senior year of high school and it came in a 1L can. It was awful, I had about 1/4 of it and then moved on to B&J's wine coolers. Special...

AleSmith has finally made it to Seattle! Used to pick it up in Oregon when I would visit Portland or Eugene.

B6utn.jpg

Is that the Oak Rumble? and if so, how is it? I had one on tap a few days ago and it was awful. Tasted like someone poured a bunch of cheap gin into the keg. I'm curious if that's the beer or it was just a bad keg/line.

Ah, Foster's. Wet dog in a can.

The only good thing about Foster's is the huge barrel cans like the one you posted.
Love opening them things. chhh-CRACK!
Like racking a shot-gun in a dark alley.

sharkmuncher said:
Is that the Oak Rumble? and if so, how is it? I had one on tap a few days ago and it was awful. Tasted like someone poured a bunch of cheap gin into the keg. I'm curious if that's the beer or it was just a bad keg/line.

I realize you didn't ask me but I was just about to quote his picture and comment on the Rumble.
I think that beer has an identity problem. They say it's an IPA but when I tried it my first thought was "Where are the hops?"

Malvolio

How do y'all feel about Amstel Light?

I treat it as my go to beer when I'm at a place that only carries the basics. Its either that or Guinness for me depending on what I'm eating and time of year. In the US, Heineken rounds out the import trio that you can usually count on and I absolutely do not drink Heineken as the skunk to fresh ratio is completely out of whack.

I treat it as my go to beer when I'm at a place that only carries the basics. Its either that or Guinness for me depending on what I'm eating and time of year. In the US, Heineken rounds out the import trio that you can usually count on and I absolutely do not drink Heineken as the skunk to fresh ratio is completely out of whack.

Heineken - Kegs or Cans ONLY (in the US at least)

Went back home to Winston-Salem, NC to visit my dad. While I was there, I stopped by Foothills Brewing for fish & chips and a pint. Their Seeing Double IPA was so good I ended up buying a growler of the stuff. Definitely not something you'll want to drink more than one or two of, but overall good.

Enjoying one of these boys right now:
4031971197_ccae535ed5.jpg

Hop so hard...
Brewed a clone of the Two Hearted from a Northern Brewer kit called Dead Ringer (Bell's/Ringer, ha!). Turned out pretty amazing and very close to the original. Sorry I don't have a picture handy.

Anyone else here enjoy sours? I tried this for the first time a week or so ago and I'm hooked. Unfortunately my local store charges $18 for a 4 pack!

Top Bottom