• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Jamesways

Man, I love Bell's Two Hearted. Such a well balanced IPA/APA.
We did a homebrew that came out fairly close last summer as well, still, the original was better. Gotta work on that a bit.

Sours for me can be hit or miss sometimes.

Anyway, a new ye olde booze shoppe opened up just down the street from my office (NE Minneapolis), and damn they have a fantastic beer selection. Mix and match 6 packs for $9.99 flat fee. Love it.

Tonight's enjoyment-
Beer4.jpg

Lakefront IPA, Widmer Rotator IPA, ODell 5 Barell Pale Ale (a favorite go-to of mine), Two Bros Bitter End Pale Ale, Brekenridge Lucky U IPA, Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale, Brau Brothers HopSession Super Pale Ale.
And that one actually would make a good session beer for me, 4.2%, great hop flavor, good stuff.

Decado

Lagunitas Lucky 13.alt

beer_147337.jpg

*really* nice. Closest thing I've had to it before is an imperial ipa, but this isn't quite as hoppy. I'd really like to try the imperial red, but it isn't available here :(

This is a regular friday-nighter for me:

beerImg_king.png

Howe Sound King Heffy, my favourite Hefeweizen

Tunic

Is that the Oak Rumble? and if so, how is it? I had one on tap a few days ago and it was awful. Tasted like someone poured a bunch of cheap gin into the keg. I'm curious if that's the beer or it was just a bad keg/line.

I realize you didn't ask me but I was just about to quote his picture and comment on the Rumble. I think that beer has an identity problem. They say it's an IPA but when I tried it my first thought was "Where are the hops?"

That was the Oak Rumble. I tasted the hops upfront but then it quickly turned into vanilla because of the oak. I think it is more of an American Strong in my tastes. I enjoyed it though, kinda similar to Oak Aged Arrogant Bastard. I prefer the Bastard more though because it keeps the hop bitterness throughout.

andylsun

I see a flask.

Are you guys cooking meth?

Not quite, Yeast. Brewing a lager, you need more yeast than comes in a single packet. Rather than buy 3 packets at $7 each, you can buy one packet of yeast, and then get them to reproduce by giving them a nice environment with maltodextrine, oxygen and warmth. A 2 litre chemistry flask is common for this task, as you can boil liquid in it without it cracking or exploding.

It will increase the amount of yeast enough to be able to ferment 5 gal of lager at 50F/10C.

I made a starter Thursday night and expected it to be ready Friday lunchtime. Not a chance. It's been on the stir plate for 48 hours and has only now started to show some action. I ended up pitching dry yeast, but will chill the starter I made and use it in a few weeks.

matt360

Are people tired of pumpkin ales? I love them. But living in Japan my access is very limited. We're lucky enough to have a bar here in Hiroshima that serves Southern Tier's Pumking on tap every fall, and there are a couple of Japanese pumpkin ale craft beers (awful).

I doubt I'll be able to get my hands on anything other than Pumking, but are there any other pumpkin ales that you guys recommend?

HiResDes

Brewed a clone of the Two Hearted from a Northern Brewer kit called Dead Ringer (Bell's/Ringer, ha!). Turned out pretty amazing and very close to the original. Sorry I don't have a picture handy.

Anyone else here enjoy sours? I tried this for the first time a week or so ago and I'm hooked. Unfortunately my local store charges $18 for a 4 pack!

I've had Monk's Cafe Sour, pretty delectable stuff, barely even tastes like beer to me though...But still good.

Are people tired of pumpkin ales? I love them. But living in Japan my access is very limited. We're lucky enough to have a bar here in Hiroshima that serves Southern Tier's Pumking on tap every fall, and there are a couple of Japanese pumpkin ale craft beers (awful).

I doubt I'll be able to get my hands on anything other than Pumking, but are there any other pumpkin ales that you guys recommend?
Rogue makes a good one, and I also really really like New Holland's Ichabod, which I think is severely underrated. I've had at least six different ones.

Never tired of pumpkin ales. I like Shipyard's Smashed Pumpkin, but it's more of a "pumpkin spice" ale.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Holy shit... where in Japan are you that they import Pumking? How much is it per pint?

Pumking is one of my top three favorite pumpkin ales.

My second favorite is Night Owl by Elysian Brewing Company (Seattle locals!), while my absolute favorite is Punkin Ale by Dogfish Head.

Speaking of which, I just picked up a case of the stuff the other day. My local market usually sells out of it pretty quickly.

matt360

Holy shit... where in Japan are you that they import Pumking? How much is it per pint?

Pumking is one of my top three favorite pumpkin ales.

My second favorite is Night Owl by Elysian Brewing Company (Seattle locals!), while my absolute favorite is Punkin Ale by Dogfish Head.

Speaking of which, I just picked up a case of the stuff the other day. My local market usually sells out of it pretty quickly.

I live in Hiroshima and there's a local bar called the Golden Garden that puts it on tap every fall. Well, for the last two years they have. They also stock some bottles. A pint on tap is a whopping 1800yen ($23US) and bottles run upwards of 3000 yen. Pretty steep, but seeing as how it's my only access to the stuff and the fact that it's only once a year, I don't feel so bad splurging a bit. The locals all get together and we all bake pumpkin pies and bring them into the shop and eat and drink together. It's one of my favorite events of the year.

I'd love to try Punkin Ale by Dogfish Head, but I've never seen it in Japan. I usually come back to the states every Christmas, but by that time most of the pumpkin ales are long gone. I'd also love to try the new pumpkin ale by Cigar City, since they're in my native Florida.

I don't knοw half of those brands. I suppose it's because they're from the US?

-edit-

My contribution to the thread: Zeos Pilsner.

kXKGG.jpg

Always in a plastic bottle, unfiltered, unpasteurized, lasts for a month or so after production, needs to be kept in temperature so it's not spoiled. Feels like a taste of summer!

Picked up a Magic Hat summer mix pack over the weekend, figured it's probably the last one I'll get until next summer since I am already starting to see other breweries' fall mix packs hitting shelves. Good bye Blind Faith IPA. I will miss you. On the plus side, no more Pistil, which I thought was average at best.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Picked up a Magic Hat summer mix pack over the weekend, figured it's probably the last one I'll get until next summer since I am already starting to see other breweries' fall mix packs hitting shelves. Good bye Blind Faith IPA. I will miss you. On the plus side, no more Pistil, which I thought was average at best.

What the fuck - Magic Hat has a sampler?! I have looked for 4 years for one and not found one. D: What's in there?

skynidas

Banned
So, guys, I've been following this thread for some time now, I love beer and I have tasted a lot of different beers through the years, and I collect the bottles of the beers that I drink, one of these days I will take a photo to share it with you guys.

What I wanted to ask you guys to have different opinions from people that also like beer, how often do you drink beer? Like how many days a week and also when you do how many beers do you drink??

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I live in Hiroshima and there's a local bar called the Golden Garden that puts it on tap every fall. Well, for the last two years they have. They also stock some bottles. A pint on tap is a whopping 1800yen ($23US) and bottles run upwards of 3000 yen. Pretty steep, but seeing as how it's my only access to the stuff and the fact that it's only once a year, I don't feel so bad splurging a bit. The locals all get together and we all bake pumpkin pies and bring them into the shop and eat and drink together. It's one of my favorite events of the year.

I'd love to try Punkin Ale by Dogfish Head, but I've never seen it in Japan. I usually come back to the states every Christmas, but by that time most of the pumpkin ales are long gone. I'd also love to try the new pumpkin ale by Cigar City, since they're in my native Florida.

1800 yen is surprisingly reasonable for something that's relatively expensive even in the states. I mean, I've been to bars in Japan where a pint of Guinness ran me over 1200 yen. I really wish something would happen to the beer situation in Japan. Imports are prohibitively expensive, and the domestic scene is pretty sad, indeed. I'm a fan of some of the Hitachino Nest line of brews from Kiuchi Brewery, but even they are pretty hard to find in Japan.

It sucks that the general populace seems just fine with Asahi, Kirin, and Sapporo crap.

So, guys, I've been following this thread for some time now, I love beer and I have tasted a lot of different beers through the years, and I collect the bottles of the beers that I drink, one of these days I will take a photo to share it with you guys.

What I wanted to ask you guys to have different opinions from people that also like beer, how often do you drink beer? Like how many days a week and also when you do how many beers do you drink??

I was drinking a few beers a night before I decided I needed to lose weight about a year and a half ago. Now I usually only have a few on the weekends.

1800 yen is surprisingly reasonable for something that's relatively expensive even in the states. I mean, I've been to bars in Japan where a pint of Guinness ran me over 1200 yen. I really wish something would happen to the beer situation in Japan. Imports are prohibitively expensive, and the domestic scene is pretty sad, indeed. I'm a fan of some of the Hitachino Nest line of brews from Kiuchi Brewery, but even they are pretty hard to find in Japan.

Muji stocks Kiuchi's beers. I picked up a couple bottles of stuff we can't get in Seattle at random stores in the Tokyo area a few years ago.

And yes, craft beer in Japan is pricey, largely due to Japanese laws that tax brewers on the amount of grain they use (hence why you see a lot of cheaper beers in Japan play up the "all malt" branding). At Baird Brewery's taproom in Harajuku, I dropped ~1,000 yen on a pint.

Anyone use Star Anise before? About to use them and unsure how much. Heard it is very potent and I know it is a very divisive flavor. I'm thinking two stars for 30 minutes in the boil?

dekline

I'd say I drink 2 to 5 times a week. I drink a different amount everytime. Anything from one 12 ounce beer with a meal to 1500ml and up with friends.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

I'd say 3-5 times a week (depending on how much of a beer mood I'm in). Sometimes I go a without any, others all 7 days. It really just depends on what I've recently got in and how things are going.

As for how many beers, it's more often than not just 1 standard 12 oz bottle. I'll occasionally grab a 2nd, but that's rare. There's been a few times when I've had a 750ml+ of a sour or something as a treat. The only times I drink more than 2 beers in a night are when I'm out with coworkers at BW's or something, in which case it's 3 talls and I'm usually done.

matt360

It sucks that the general populace seems just fine with Asahi, Kirin, and Sapporo crap.

I was drinking a few beers a night before I decided I needed to lose weight about a year and a half ago. Now I usually only have a few on the weekends.

Hitachino is fantastic. And fortunately, I have access to a wide variety of their beers. We have a Jupiter import store near my office and they stocked Hitachino's Amber Ale (possibly my favorite amber ever), Pale Ale, White, and Weizen. I became pretty good friends with the manager and eventually convinced her to start stocking the Espresso Stout, Nipponia, XH, and Japanese Classic Ale. I really like the Red Rice Ale too, but I've only ever seen that in America. Bottles run fairly cheap too, at around 350yen.

Muji stocks Kiuchi's beers. I picked up a couple bottles of stuff we can't get in Seattle at random stores in the Tokyo area a few years ago.

And yes, craft beer in Japan is pricey, largely due to Japanese laws that tax brewers on the amount of grain they use (hence why you see a lot of cheaper beers in Japan play up the "all malt" branding). At Baird Brewery's taproom in Harajuku, I dropped ~1,000 yen on a pint.

Yeah, I really hope that changes in the future. But even so, the craft scene has exploded in the last 6 or 7 years. Just in little old Hiroshima we've had 3 legit new beer bars open up, and one of the oldest liquor shops in the area has added an entire wall of fridges just for beer. I really don't drink too often, maybe twice a month or so, so it doesn't really feel so expensive. Better for my health that way too!

Almost every day, though I only drink 1-3 in a night.

I've been cutting back on beer to lose weight as well (one of the reasons for ny absence from here). Drinking beer only once a week and fasting I've gone from 5'10" 205 lbs to 185lbs in the past two months. Recently fallen off the wagon and been drinking beer 2-3 nights a week again 3-4 beers a sitting.

Used to be about one beer a day, but that is too expensive for me to do anymore.

What the fuck - Magic Hat has a sampler?! I have looked for 4 years for one and not found one. D: What's in there?

Yeah they do it like Sam Adams where the sampler changes 4 times a year. It always includes: 3 bottles of #9, 3 bottles of their seasonal offering, 3 bottles of their seasonal IPA, 3 bottles of something you can only get in the sampler pack.

The summer pack is #9, Elder Betty (seasonal), Blind Faith (Seasonal IPA), Pistil (brewed with dandelions).

SUPREME1

Banned
The LA COUNTY FAIR starts tomorrow!

For those that missed my previous posts on the matter, check out the following posts (sorry no links; doing this quick and dirty):

3760 <---- this post has all the relevant info

Check out those posts for the many award winning beers from the beer competition the fair held a few months back. The fair will be be selling select award winners at the beer pavillion (not to be confused with the beer stands that sell all the commercial bullshit; not that there's anything wrong with commercial bullshit, since it has it's place).

Do yourself a favor and at least check out post 3760. If you're planning on heading out to the fair, you're in for a treat. If you're in the area but weren't planning on going, you just might have a change of heart.

Cheers! See you there.

Edit: The fair also held a home brewing competition (first time I believe) and they have the results on the fair's website. One dude won best of show AND placed third with another entry. He brewed two of the top 3 beers there... AMAZING.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah they do it like Sam Adams where the sampler changes 4 times a year. It always includes: 3 bottles of #9, 3 bottles of their seasonal offering, 3 bottles of their seasonal IPA, 3 bottles of something you can only get in the sampler pack.

The summer pack is #9, Elder Betty (seasonal), Blind Faith (Seasonal IPA), Pistil (brewed with dandelions).

I guess I need to wander the liquor stores when I'm visiting family for the Labor Day weekend, because these sound incredible.

Tonight I got a few beers and picked up a used copy of Oblivion (never played it before).

Specifically

Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout
Coopers Best Extra Stout

When I think Elder Scrolls I think stouts.
There's just something about the dusty, crinkled parchment that the word "scroll" brings to mind that so sweetly compliments a beer as black as motor oil.

I also got

Sam Adams Octoberfest
Stegmaier Honey Suckle Ale

The last two are just for the hell of it and something to put a buffer between the two Stouts.
I've heard so many people rave about that Sam Adams Octoberfest, but I'm not a believer. I guess I'll soon find out. The Stegmaier thing just sounded interesting, although I'm expecting it to taste gimmicky.

Tonight I got a few beers and picked up a used copy of Oblivion (never played it before).

Specifically

Coopers Best Extra Stout

There's just something about the dusty, crinkled parchment that the word "scroll" brings to mind that so sweetly compliments a beer as black as motor oil.

I also got

Sam Adams Octoberfest

The last two are just for the hell of it and something to put a buffer between the two Stouts.
I've heard so many people rave about that Sam Adams Octoberfest, but I'm not a believer. I guess I'll soon find out. The Stegmaier thing just sounded interesting, although I'm expecting it to taste gimmicky.

That's my kind of Friday. Oblivian is really engrossing

Girlfriend grabbed a 12-pack of Sam Adams' Harvest Sampler today. Overall, I was pretty impressed. I've always liked the Harvest Pumpkin for a nice, easy to find pumpkin ale. The Hazel Brown was unexpectedly good; I could see folks who consider Newcastle a mainstay or anybody who likes Rogue's Hazelnut Nectar loving this. I'm just waiting for the winter seasonals, myself: in my opinion, Sam Adams has never topped Old Fezziwig.

matt360

Just a sixer of this tonight. Pretty good actually.

shock-top-pimpkin.jpg

Is that new? I've never seen it before. I'll be sure to give it a try if I see it around.

And I'm pumped as hell for the Hiroshima Beer Fest tomorrow! It's like Christmas for me and my friends. All Japanese craft beer, about 30 different breweries (including Baird this year). Fun people, great atmosphere, and some pretty amazing beer, including a beer from Osaka that has had the honor of winning World's Best Imperial Stout (Minoh)! So excited.

And a question for you guys (mostly directed toward Americans) who frequent craft beer festivals. What is the atmosphere like? I really only started getting into beer after I moved to Japan, and the Japanese beer scene is pretty awesome. There are never any fights or ill-will, and even though people get smashed, there never seems to be much trouble at all. Is it like that in the states as well, or are there still a big number of meat heads who go and inevitably cause trouble? I know I'm asking for a sweeping generalization, but I'm just curious as to the vibe of these fests in the US. I'm wondering if there's a difference and if that is because most Japanese people just shy away from any kind of confrontation, or if it's just because everyone is just there because they genuinely love great beer. Anyways, I know it's a stupid question, but if you guys could share some of your US beer fest experiences, that'd be great!

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
about to open this bad boy mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

0oHzz.jpg

Drinking this right now. The lemon is very apparent. Not sure how I feel about that, honestly. Certainly an interesting flavor.

Also picked up a Deschutes Black Butte XXIV. Not touching it for at least a year.

edit - like it a lot better after warming up actually.

dekline

Specifically

Coopers Best Extra Stout

I also got

Sam Adams Octoberfest

SS oatmeal stout is delicious imo. One of my favorite stouts.

oblivion is awesome too

Top Bottom