• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

magicstop

Anyone else here enjoy sours? I tried this for the first time a week or so ago and I'm hooked. Unfortunately my local store charges $18 for a 4 pack!

Just came in to post about Flanders reds . . . I fucking love funky, sour beer! Been drinking Grand Cru and Duchesse recently. Costly to drink . . . I considered brewing some up at home, but I don't relish the year and half or so down time, nor the need for a lot of extra equipment. I'm about to drop $$$ on a kegerator, so it'll have to wait. But fuck yes, sours.

Also, my first homebrew was a Two Hearted clone :D Didn't turn out that well, lol. Glad yours did!

Stone is fantastic in their lane, but overall it's not a very versatile brewery.

I kind of feel the same way. Of course they have plenty of stuff I love though.

IMAG0124.jpg

SS oatmeal stout is delicious imo. One of my favorite stouts.

oblivion is awesome too

I honestly didn't care for it that much.
It was a pleasure to drink but I also found it rather bland. Just not much there in terms of taste and mouthfeel. A little too smooth for me I guess, too easy to drink. I had a large bottle of it and went through it fast.

I'm going to go to the store here in a minute though because now I'm interested in trying their Imperial Stout.

Ironically I'd say my favorite beer from the previous haul was the Stegmaier. Not many reviews online. A really weird beer. I got it for cheap so I wasn't expecting much. I wouldn't drink more than one of them but it's pretty nice. Unfiltered to the point of hilarity, so much stuff floating around in my glass that I was afraid to drink it at first. Strong smell of honey, and various spices are present in the taste. Makes me wonder how artificial it is, but it's ok.

J-Roderton

I tried some Barney Flatts Oatmeal Stout over the summer and fell in love with it. Got one for a buck at this pub, went upstairs to buy some to take home with me and it was $12 for a six pack. I hate being broke. Couldn't do it.

I tried some Barney Flatts Oatmeal Stout over the summer and fell in love with it. Got one for a buck at this pub, went upstairs to buy some to take home with me and it was $12 for a six pack. I hate being broke. Couldn't do it.

Being broke never stops me for some reason.
I always find a rationalization.
Like "I just won't eat today, I mean beer is the same thing as a meal right? Not called liquid bread for nothing!"

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Good God, Societe Brewing in San Diego is going to be the next big thing. It's pretty much all great stuff, and they have an entire wall and room filled with barrels of sours to come.

Any good gluten free beers?

I thought Dogfish Head's Tweasonale was a legitimately good fruit beer without taking effect into the fact that it's gluten free. There's a strange twang to it, but I thought it works to the beer's strength.

Widmer Brothers' new Omission line along with all of Harvester Brewing's stuff are supposed to be great, but I haven't had any of them. LetsPour has a deal right now where you can get a six-pack of Harvester bombers for 50 bucks shipped, and I'm pretty sure they're still giving out a discount for first time orders. I've put two orders through with them, they're legit.

Also look into ciders, I'm currently in love with Angry Orchard (Sam Adams)'s Apple Ginger.

Had a Pumking last night. That shit is ridiculous this year. Bottled my Honey Rosemary Saison yesterday, and I'm brewing a DIPA today.

The Wyoming Brewer's Guild made a pineapple rosemary IPA firkin about a couple months ago. The pineapple provided a sweetness to the high IBU/4.5% ABV beer and the rosemary was just delicious.

I hope your saison turned out equally as well. Rosemary is an underutilized ingredient in beer.

554664_4491247560437_437771067_n.jpg

Awesome dinner tonight. Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus with various cheeses, bread, crackers and my wife's homemade pickled cherries and Turkish fig jam.

Grabbed a bottle of Whole Hog's Pumpkin Ale. Heavy on the spice, but overall a GREAT pumpkin ale. I was thoroughly impressed and will definitely be picking up more of this.

Wonderful evening of my Blind Pig Clone, which is hands down the best IPA I have made so far, followed by some SN pale and Odell's IPA. I also learned that shooting a pellet gun is legal in Omaha as long as the pellets do not leave your property. Fun times!

Never used Rosemary in anything? Let me know how it goes
I tried a sample before bottling and it was pretty good. I used a 4in sprig of rosemary in secondary that i bruised with a mortar. The rosemary flavor is subtle, but easily detectable. We'll see how it is when I crack a bottle at the end of the week.

Good God, Societe Brewing in San Diego is going to be the next big thing. It's pretty much all great stuff, and they have an entire wall and room filled with barrels of sours to come.

I was there a few weeks ago and completely agree with you that they will be huge and the sours will be quite tasty in a year or three. They were created by a brewer from the Bruery and brewer from Russian River. I bet they win some medals at GABF. Their beers are safely within style and are very well crafted. I found their beers to be very good, yet formulaic. They reminded me of Ninkasi in Eugene, OR.

I talked with one of their assistant brewers and he seemed a bit pretentious. We talked about their barrel program and he explained that they have a proprietary blend of yeasts and bacteria in their barrels and they keep the cellar at 62F "because that is the best temperature for sours." I asked him about residual bugs in the barrels changing the flora proportions of their propriety blends and he got agitated with me. Just as a point of reference, I've been making sour beers for three years and have a 59 gallon cab barrel with a Flanders Red in the basement, so I am familiar with the process making sour beers.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I was there a few weeks ago and completely agree with you that they will be huge and the sours will be quite tasty in a year or three. They were created by a brewer from the Bruery and brewer from Russian River. I bet they win some medals at GABF. Their beers are safely within style and are very well crafted. I found their beers to be very good, yet formulaic. They reminded me of Ninkasi in Eugene, OR.

I talked with one of their assistant brewers and he seemed a bit pretentious. We talked about their barrel program and he explained that they have a proprietary blend of yeasts and bacteria in their barrels and they keep the cellar at 62F "because that is the best temperature for sours." I asked him about residual bugs in the barrels changing the flora proportions of their propriety blends and he got agitated with me. Just as a point of reference, I've been making sour beers for three years and have a 59 gallon cab barrel with a Flanders Red in the basement, so I am familiar with the process making sour beers.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Assistant Brewers have no real clue about the inside baseball of yeast and bacteria management.

magicstop

*drool

My god, where to you live? Can I come visit? Often? How often? Tonight? Thank you, on my way.

Cheyenne, WY!!

The barrel is a solera project that cycles through about ten to fifteen gallons of aged beer a year and fresh beer (primary fermented to TG) is added to barrel so the flora can work it's magic. It has changed a lot over time and occasionally gets sick with peddiococus blooms that make the beer ropey like snot. Then the brett takes over and cleans that up. It's a real fun project.

magicstop

Cheyenne, WY!!

The barrel is a solera project that cycles through about ten to fifteen gallons of aged beer a year and fresh beer (primary fermented to TG) is added to barrel so the flora can work it's magic. It has changed a lot over time and occasionally gets sick with peddiococus blooms that make the beer ropey like snot. Then the brett takes over and cleans that up. It's a real fun project.

That sounds fucking awesome. I've been growing very interested in wild, funky ales recently. I've decided that once I can afford some additional equipment, I'll be brewing a "wild American" ale with some local funk, courtesy of open wort. Hoping for some good fruit fly additions and who knows what else. I'm sure that the results may be . . . unpleasant, but from researching lots of wild ale threads, they may also be quite tasty. I'm going for the long brew, so sour I'm hoping for.

Angry Grimace

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the head guys there have no real clue either.

Are you saying you have a problem with those particular brewers, or just saying on general principles most brewers aren't experts on sour barrel fermenation principles?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Are you saying you have a problem with those particular brewers, or just saying on general principles most brewers aren't experts on sour barrel fermenation principles?

I don't know those guys. I am just saying that even experts on sour barrel fermentations don't really know the inside baseball of sour fermentations in the way they know about sacc fermentations. I think even a guy like Vinnie (who I respect more than anyone when it comes to brewing) knows relatively little about the real goings on in a sour fermentation.

It was just a snotty response mostly.

Just came in to post about Flanders reds . . . I fucking love funky, sour beer! Been drinking Grand Cru and Duchesse recently. Costly to drink . . . I considered brewing some up at home, but I don't relish the year and half or so down time, nor the need for a lot of extra equipment. I'm about to drop $$$ on a kegerator, so it'll have to wait. But fuck yes, sours.

Also, my first homebrew was a Two Hearted clone :D Didn't turn out that well, lol. Glad yours did!
Yeah, brewing sours sounds like a huge production, definitely not ready for that. The kit I used was this one: Northern Brewer- Dead Ringer. They have an all grain version too. I've gone through almost half of the batch already, I think I need to get another one started...

Hex is decent, Elder Betty is one of the best summer beers I've had...And yes I will stake that it's sessionable.

I don't usually go for fruity beers. WACKO (the one they brew with beets) sort of made me wary of any fruit/vegetable beers coming from Magic Hat, but I was pleasantly surprised by Elder Betty.

Yeah, brewing sours sounds like a huge production, definitely not ready for that. The kit I used was this one: Northern Brewer- Dead Ringer. They have an all grain version too. I've gone through almost half of the batch already, I think I need to get another one started...

Less intensive in cost (a carboy, an airlock, and a racking cane/tubing). More intensive in time. A quality Lambic is about 3 years, a Flanders is a couple years, but a Berliner Weiss is only about six months.

I like making soured saisons. I ferment a saison to TG and then pitch some brett. for three months. Quite tasty.

It was made pink by the beet sugar they used in it. I wouldn't call Wacko gross, but I wouldn't call it great either. It was just really bland. Elder Betty is a MUCH better summer beer, one of the best fruit beers I've had.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Hex is decent, Elder Betty is one of the best summer beers I've had...And yes I will stake that it's sessionable.

I really enjoyed the beer last night. I'm REALLY itching to find other Magic Hat stuff, but it's simply impossible to find near me for some reason. I'd LOVE to find their sampler, but who knows...

Less intensive in cost (a carboy, an airlock, and a racking cane/tubing). More intensive in time. A quality Lambic is about 3 years, a Flanders is a couple years, but a Berliner Weiss is only about six months.

I like making soured saisons. I ferment a saison to TG and then pitch some brett. for three months. Quite tasty.
I'll have to try this, it sounds like something I would really enjoy drinking... Thanks for the idea!

Going to hopefully brew that very kit this weekend or if not early next week. Did you dry-hop too?
I did dry hop. If I remember correctly I used 1.5 oz. Centennial hops in the secondary 1 week before bottling. I don't recall if that is exactly what the recipe called for, I tweaked it a little for my brewing setup. Post back and let us know how it goes!

I just bought one of these last weekend and christened it with my first Pumpkin brew:
uYlzH.jpg

Going from a 4 gallon pot to this 10 gallon one was awesome. My stove could barely get the boil going, and then I had to cool it in the bathtub instead of the sink. I'm thinking I need to pick up a propane burner and wort chiller in the near future...

fat pat

I just bought one of these last weekend and christened it with my first Pumpkin brew:
uYlzH.jpg

Going from a 4 gallon pot to this 10 gallon one was awesome. My stove could barely get the boil going, and then I had to cool it in the bathtub instead of the sink. I'm thinking I need to pick up a propane burner and wort chiller in the near future...

Ive got that same kettle! Invest in a Wort chiller. That thing is a bitch to cool down in the sink, also walking around with 6 gallons of boiling hot liquid isnt easy.

KingGondo

Banned
Can anyone recommend some good regional beers from the Cleveland area? Visiting some friends this weekend and wanting to try some.

Yes Boss!

Got a 24-rack of each of these beers to drink this weekend. Leave Germany next month so making sure I drink enough before I leave.

95D99B4F-BEFF-4033-B060-2D36148D7085-3175-000003CCE09BEFF2.jpg

Angry Grimace

So, anyone who homebrews want to try these out?

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/image/wh_beer_recipe_honey_ale_0.jpg[/MG]
[IMG]http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/whitehouse_files/image/wh_beer_recipe_honey_porter_0.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]

You can buy pre-made kits for these on Northern Brewer:

[url]http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/recipe-kits/white-house-recipe-kits/northern-brewer-s-white-house-honey-porter-beer-kit.html[/url]

[url]http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/recipe-kits/white-house-recipe-kits/northern-brewer-s-white-house-honey-ale-beer-kit.html[/url]

aceface

It was made pink by the beet sugar they used in it. I wouldn't call Wacko gross, but I wouldn't call it great either. It was just really bland. Elder Betty is a MUCH better summer beer, one of the best fruit beers I've had.

Had Elder Betty for the first time last weekend. It was excellent! Too bad it's leaving now that summer's ending.

Lately I've been sessioning Brooklyn Lager. Excellent lager- crisp, flavorful, and very drinkable.

Angry Grimace

excellent news

You can make your own, of course. They are very simple recipes really other than the fact there's a typographical error in how much Fuggles you need as aroma hops in the Honey Ale (it should be 1/2 oz., not 1 1/2 oz., 1 1/2 oz. of aroma hops would be complete overkill).

I personally would omit the gypsum unless you had some kind of knowledge of your water chemistry as well.

Top Bottom