• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

So, anyone who homebrews want to try these out?

wh_beer_recipe_honey_ale_0.jpg

wh_beer_recipe_honey_porter_0.jpg

It's been brewing... Bottling soon...

I actually have a bunch of fresh Goldings from my parent's garden. Could do a fresh hop version.

I'm also sure I'm not the only one scoffing at the use of malt extract... right?

TheDanger

Banned
German beer is best beer, was at the Herbstfest (fall festival) in Rosenheim yesterday and they had these amazing Maß beers (1 liter), so fucking good.

1ea0ef8d.jpg

magicstop

I actually have a bunch of fresh Goldings from my parent's garden. Could do a fresh hop version.

I'm also sure I'm not the only one scoffing at the use of malt extract... right?

Not everyone does all-grain brewing . . . I've been brewing for 3.5 years, and I still do extract and/or partial mash, as I don't have the space, money, or time for all-grain. No scoffing from me.

HiResDes

I like how cheap Old Rasputin has become around these parts, but I guess it's a blessing and a curse for how drunk I get after four or five.

Not everyone does all-grain brewing . . . I've been brewing for 3.5 years, and I still do extract and/or partial mash, as I don't have the space, money, or time for all-grain. No scoffing from me.

I've recently gone back to extract/partial mash. Grain disposal and rig cleaning is such a huge pain in the ass.

thabiz

Moosehead-330ml.jpg

Ummmmmm. What happened? 1st one in over a year, and I swear the recipe has changed. Not that its one of the pillars of beer, but this is watered down piss. Shameful.

codhand

Enjoyin a Victory Pale Ale.

Was in Oregon and Washington State all week on vacation, getting my beer snob on, jealous of my PNW gafers.

I tend to give it the benefit of the doubt and just assume my palate changed rather than the beer. Obviously some beers change year to year though. Also, I'm finally not a junior 3 years later.

Alright fellas I just booked my ticket to Morrison, Co to see a good buddy of mine, which means I'll be spitting distance from some of the best craft breweries in the country. Only one problem, I'm only there three days, and Sunday is probably going to be dedicated to NFL action. So I'm looking for your opinions on the can't miss breweries in the Denver area. Already planning a day trip on the Friday I get in to Fort Collins to see New Belgium, O'Dell, and Fort Collins breweries. I'll probably go to Tommyknocker since they are in Morrison. Other than that I'm open. I would like to see Breckenridge and Great Divide, but am willing to sacrifice those for some breweries that don't distribute (or don't distribute in Missouruh)

magicstop

Alright fellas I just booked my ticket to Morrison, Co to see a good buddy of mine, which means I'll be spitting distance from some of the best craft breweries in the country. Only one problem, I'm only there three days, and Sunday is probably going to be dedicated to NFL action. So I'm looking for your opinions on the can't miss breweries in the Denver area. Already planning a day trip on the Friday I get in to Fort Collins to see New Belgium, O'Dell, and Fort Collins breweries. I'll probably go to Tommyknocker since they are in Morrison. Other than that I'm open. I would like to see Breckenridge and Great Divide, but am willing to sacrifice those for some breweries that don't distribute (or don't distribute in Missouruh)

Absolutely, under no circumstances should you skip Great Divide. If you flew to Denver to go to only ONE brewery, it should be Great Divide. I've been a few times. Their beer is great, the tap room is pleasant, the tour nice, and the beer is great. Also, fucking yummy beer. And nice versions of Yeti you can't get elsewhere. And fucking other delicious beer.

Go to Great Divide. Go.

Tommyknocker is cool, but it's a bit of a haul. Pretty damn good food there, nice setup (you get to eat right by the brewing equipment), and pretty decent beer. But go to Great Divide.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Absolutely, under no circumstances should you skip Great Divide. If you flew to Denver to go to only ONE brewery, it should be Great Divide. I've been a few times. Their beer is great, the tap room is pleasant, the tour nice, and the beer is great. Also, fucking yummy beer. And nice versions of Yeti you can't get elsewhere. And fucking other delicious beer.

Go to Great Divide. Go.

Tommyknocker is cool, but it's a bit of a haul. Pretty damn good food there, nice setup (you get to eat right by the brewing equipment), and pretty decent beer. But go to Great Divide.

Eh, Great Divide is entirely optional. Widely available, cramped tasting room. If you are doing Denver for beer, then sure, but I wouldn't go out of my way for them.

I would skip Tommyknocker and head up to Golden City in Golden, just because it is close. Tiny little brewpub in a neighborhood (it is actually right next door to the owner's house), mostly outdoor seating (picnic table type deal). IPA and Brown are quite good. Get a growler or two for NFL games.

The best beer on the front range is brewed at Dry Dock in Aurora, but it is a bit out of the way.

If you are going to do a Denver beer experience, I would start with Dry Dock first, do your samplers, then get a ride to Downtown Denver, do Great Divide, walk up to Falling Rock (best beer bar in the country), walk down to Wynkoop, Euclid Hall for dinner, Prost for some nice German beers.

While up in Fort Collins, don't ignore Equinox or Funkwerks. Funkwerks is a stone's throw from Fort Collins Brewery and not far at all from Odell.

thespot84

Go to Great Divide. Go.

2nd for Great Divide tap room for sure.

I'm pretty sure tommyknocker is in idaho springs, about 30 minutes west of morisson if i'm not mistaken, and while their nut brown is good I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

If you're into german beer there is a brand new (last wednesday!) brewery that opened just across the highway from great divide called Prost. I've had two beers there so far and while they're lighter than your typical hoppy denver fare they were both very good.

If you can make it to east denver/aurora (about a 25 minute drive from downtown) you should also check out copper kettle brewery and dry dock brewery.

As for ones to maybe miss, I would go to all of the above before Denver Beer Co. (new and also near great divide), and I wasn't blown away by the breweries in longmont (between ft collins and denver). Certainly go to as many as possible though.

Picked up some Schlafly Pumpkin Ale since fall is here, and it is damned tasty. You really get lots of pumpkin pie in the nose and the taste is like a scottish ale infused with pumpkin. I like it so much I'll probably pick up another 6 pack when this one is through

Also picked up some a Stevens Point beach pack, and what's on hand is pretty middling. Eh well, live and learn

Edit: Great Divide is also pretty damned good. I dug their Claymore, Hades and Samurai ales

Picked up some Schlafly Pumpkin Ale since fall is here, and it is damned tasty. You really get lots of pumpkin pie in the nose and the taste is like a scottish ale infused with pumpkin. I like it so much I'll probably pick up another 6 pack when this one is through

Just out of curiosity, where are you located. Just curious where Schlafly is distributing Pumpkin if you're not in St. Louis.

I knew you guys would have some opinions. I have some planning to do...

KingGondo

Banned
How was your time in Cleveland? Beer in NE Ohio is that underrated field of the midwest imo. And to think LeBron would of had a lifetime supplies of Great Lakes beer
Had a blast, in spite of attending a Browns game ;) Weather was fantastic, visited the downtown market, and finished up yesterday with a trip to Green House Tavern. By far the best wings I've ever had (seriously, go get some if you haven't already) and topped those off with an incredible lamb burger. :)

Really liked the Great Lakes stuff I tried, especially the Burning River pale ale.

R2D4

Banned
Wife's gone until sunday. I get friday off. It's going to be a long weekend. I'm going to have to make a second beer run saturday.

IMG_0438-1.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
8 oz. of whole leaf hops in the mail looks suspiciously like getting a box with a crapload of weed.

Just out of curiosity, where are you located. Just curious where Schlafly is distributing Pumpkin if you're not in St. Louis.

I knew you guys would have some opinions. I have some planning to do...
I'm here in Saint Charles county, so yeah, STL basically. It's definitely worth tracking down though. I finished the last bottle last night and am already missing it :(

I grew up in St. Chuck over by Kisker library. Small world. They had trouble keeping it in stock last year. You going to Hop in the City?
Oh no kidding? Damn, I live over on Ehlman by Harry S Truman. Don't know whether you've been back but the Spencer branch
Iibrary has been completely rebuilt. And no, I wish, got work and school these days so I don't have much time for anything anymore. Good luck tracking down the pumpkin ale!

AEREC

Anyone know if Southern Tier Pumking is available in 12 ounce bottles (or a six pack of bottles)? I've only found the single 20 ounce bottles in Seattle at a QFC.

HiResDes

I had Shipyward's Pumpkin on draft yesterday and something by Three Floyds (it was like a light amber in color). The Shipyward seemed a bit unbalanced to me tastebuds, lacked the creaminess of Rogue's Pumpkin and focused too much on a single pumpkin spice (cinnamon). The Three Floyds was immense, but I can't remember the name of it. It kind of tasted like a refined Two-Hearted Ale, but with a much better mouthfeel.

Oh no kidding? Damn, I live over on Ehlman by Harry S Truman. Don't know whether you've been back but the Spencer branch
Iibrary has been completely rebuilt. And no, I wish, got work and school these days so I don't have much time for anything anymore. Good luck tracking down the pumpkin ale!

Yeah I'm working unfortunately. Got plenty of pumpkin though. If you ever start homebrewing come to one of our meetings at O'Fallon Brewery the 3rd Tuesday of every month from 7-9. Shit just show up with a six pack. Some of the best beer I've ever had have been at those meetings.

And yeah Spencer is huge now. My gf actually works there

I think a lot of people fall in love with beer through Belgian beers. They are very accessible. They were my absolute favorite for a long time. After that I went through a stout/porter kick (that's starting back up now that the weather is cooling down). More recently, I've turned into a complete hop-head. Give me all the hops, and give them to me now.

This got me thinking, did/does anybody else here go through "phases" with their beer love?

Anyone know if Southern Tier Pumking is available in 12 ounce bottles (or a six pack of bottles)? I've only found the single 20 ounce bottles in Seattle at a QFC.

Bombers only.

And seeing how you live in Greenlake, you should check out Bottleworks in Wallingford and The Last Drop in Maple Leaf. Both are great bottle shops. If you ever want to do a bar crawl in the neighborhood, or just drink some beer at my place, let me know.

Also, Great Pumpkin Beer Festival is October 19th and 20th at Elysian's Georgetown brewery.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Had a bottle of Delirium Tremens the other night, probably the most interesting and complex beer I've ever had

pYtdMl.jpg

Easily one of my favorite beers available. I wish it weren't so expensive, but it's good enough to splurge on a 4-pack once in a while and not look back.

codhand

You hit up Fremont Brewing? If not, you missed out.

Hope you had a good time.

Great time, I had a couple Fremont brews including their summer ale, recommended by my friend/tour guide.

We only went to Rogue and Georgetown breweries, but both were awesome. Especially catching a Dungeoness crab off the pier by Rogue, amazing fun.

Headwaters? One of my favorite pale ales.

Geah ;)

Headed here this weekend, should be fun, back on the East Coast!

I welcome any and all recommendations from that list.

codhand

5RuPO.jpg

Let's see what happens...

Incidentally I tried a new beer sample at the store....Newcastle Werewolf, Red Ale, basically tastes like red ale version of Newcastle, not bad, horrible art design though just the regular newcastle art but redder and with claw marks on it..

mcfrank

Anyone going to LA Beer week events? I am thinking about going to the Union Station event, but $50 seems a bit steep. Stone and Russian River are taking over the taps a my local bar for the week.

Top Bottom