• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

PG2G

I just drank an Avery The Beast Grand Cru... probably the strongest beer I've ever had, 16% alcohol. Have any of you guys tried it? Its deadly :|

Malvolio

I just drank an Avery The Beast Grand Cru... probably the strongest beer I've ever had, 16% alcohol. Have any of you guys tried it? Its deadly :|

I was at a friends earlier this summer where we had a 5 year vertical tasting of The Beast and it is one serious beer. The good news is that it does mellow with age. The older ones were much smoother than the newer ones. I think we agreed that the beer needs at least 3 years on the shelf before opening. Still drinkable when new, but so much better with age.

PG2G

I'll have to get a couple more bottles and shelve them then. Its pretty pricy, but right now I feel like I just drank a 750 ml LOL

Talon

I think a lot of people fall in love with beer through Belgian beers. They are very accessible. They were my absolute favorite for a long time. After that I went through a stout/porter kick (that's starting back up now that the weather is cooling down). More recently, I've turned into a complete hop-head. Give me all the hops, and give them to me now.

This got me thinking, did/does anybody else here go through "phases" with their beer love?
Totally. Started with witbier once I was legal. Got tired of that and became a total hop fiend - IPA and APA exclusively. Dabbled in stouts but pretty much only bought pale ales. Then I bounced back and enjoy witbiers again along with stouts.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I grew up in St. Chuck over by Kisker library. Small world. They had trouble keeping it in stock last year. You going to Hop in the City?

Holy lord there's a whole new STL GAF, I'm in Saint Charles too. I need to make it over to Trailhead and try out this years Octoberfest.

Crazy.

Jamesways

Alright finally got a batch of Dead Ringer fermenting. Next up when it's in the seconday, either a dunkelweizen or Black IPA. The Black IPA kit from Northern Brewer has gotten some great reviews.

393594_4556212384517_912970158_n.jpg

Cracked open my last bottle of Westvleteren 12 tonight (bottled on February 14th, 2011). Guess it's time for another trip to Belgium.

matt360

I went to my local beer shop in Hiroshima yesterday to discover they have 20 cases of those 6 bottle + 2 glasses sets of Westvleteren 12 for 8000 yen (about $100US). I was there with a friend picking up some Rogues and some Brew Dogs when I saw an empty Westy 12 bottle on a counter in the back. I thought it was just for decoration but I asked the guy at the counter if they had any, thinking he'd probably just laugh, but they actually did have a bunch of those gift sets in stock! I'm gonna split one with a friend so I'll end up paying about about $50 for 3 bottles and a glass. Is that about average? I'm gonna pick it up next week sometime, but I'll probably wait until it's cooler out to drink.

For those who have tried Westy, can you describe the taste a bit. For the record I absolutely love Belgians, with Tremens being tied for first place as my current favorite beer. St. Bernardus Abt 12 comes in first as my favorite quad, and probably my second favorite overall. How does Westvleteren compare? Also, I see the stew above. That looks like a great pairing. Can anyone recommend any nice recipes to go along with my first bottle? Thanks!

dekline

393594_4556212384517_912970158_n.jpg

Cracked open my last bottle of Westvleteren 12 tonight (bottled on February 14th, 2011). Guess it's time for another trip to Belgium.

Is it as good as they say?

And for me tonight:

i8aRrdn3D4i6B.jpg

Having one of these while I play sleeping dogs. I guess it's a limited release according to the place I bought it from. I'm going to try the others when I get a chance.

matt360

Just had a buddy post that article on my FB a couple minutes ago. Kiuchi really is a quality brewery. Hitachino Nests are always nice to drink. Their Amber Ale is probably my favorite amber. Their Espresso Stout is also really nice when paired with the right food. You pretty much can't go wrong with them. In the States, I've really only seen the Red Rice Ale, the Weizen, and sometimes the White. But I recommend all of it.

Just had a buddy post that article on my FB a couple minutes ago. Kiuchi really is a quality brewery. Hitachino Nests are always nice to drink. Their Amber Ale is probably my favorite amber. Their Espresso Stout is also really nice when paired with the right food. You pretty much can't go wrong with them. In the States, I've really only seen the Red Rice Ale, the Weizen, and sometimes the White. But I recommend all of it.

I've had Celebration Ale, Classic Ale (their IPA), Sweet Stout and the Sake cask one in the Seattle area, too. We also visited the brewery last time in Japan.

matt360

I've had Celebration Ale, Classic Ale (their IPA), Sweet Stout and the Sake cask one in the Seattle area, too. We also visited the brewery last time in Japan.

How was the brewery? I'd love to go sometime. 7 years in Japan and I still have never been to Ibaraki Prefecture. Is it true that they have a collaboration with Brooklyn Brewery and actually brew several of their beers in the States for stateside distribution? For example I know that the Red Rice Ale is widely available in the States, but I have never seen it on store shelves in Japan. I was thinking that maybe they actually brew that one over in NY if what I've heard is true.

Also, how do you post pictures on here? I'm a total computer noob. I see the insert image or insert link buttons, but whenever I try to post a pic, and then preview my post, the image shows up as broken. Do you have to use imgur now? I've posted pics in years past, but haven't done it for a while and kind of forgot how.

Steelrain

Fucking hell I've been drinking a lot of this:

PdRxv.jpg

Lately. Cheap, delicious, refreshing.

I need something new to try though. My local liquor store has been pimping Yokohama Brewery pretty hard lately so I might pick up their IPA come payday.

fenners

Got five gallons of IPA trying to chill down to 80 degrees right now ;) Modified the recipe for Stone's 4th Anniversary brew from their book and it's smelling mighty good already. Even my wife, who hates beer, said it smelled really nice while it's chilling down.

Being from Houston I'm quite a fan of Saint Arnolds. I had never had the Endeavour, but because of the spaceship landing overnight in Houston I decided to pick up the beer. Cheers to a remarkable interstellar drink and spaceship.

483382_10151258903105625_847894743_n.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
And they're still fizzy yellow beers.
Green Flash had a beer they called "Fizzy Yellow Beer" for a while in order to make fun of Stone's anti FYB ad campaign. It was a pretty spicy and bitter Bohemian style Pilsener, although they changed the name fairly recently.

Fun Budweiser fact: Budweiser goes grain to glass on a lager in 28 days.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Green Flash had a beer they called "Fizzy Yellow Beer" for a while in order to make fun of Stone's anti FYB ad campaign. It was a pretty spicy and bitter Bohemian style Pilsener, although they changed the name fairly recently.

Fun Budweiser fact: Budweiser goes grain to glass on a lager in 28 days.

Most craft breweries probably take less time than that. It is actually kind of impressive that they give it four weeks.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Most craft breweries probably take less time than that. It is actually kind of impressive that they give it four weeks.

Most craft breweries are turning lagers around in less than 4 weeks?

Jamesways

"The goddess Saga and the god Odin merrily drank as cool waters flow."

Hey are you in the Twin Cities area? My co-worker and good friend is a tour guide at Summit, did another tour with him last Sat. The job is changing, but up to last week, they paid them in beer, two cases for a Sat. He gave me a 12 pack of Saga. It's pretty damn tasty, going to remain a regular year rounder in their lineup.

The next Unchained is coming out in a few weeks, it's rumored to be a southern Kentucky mash type brew.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
An ale maybe, but no way a craft brewery is turning around a lager in 4 weeks from harvest to bottle.

Yes.

Lagering is a luxury that some breweries set themselves up to be able to handle. It makes the process more expensive (tank time is money).

Other breweries forgo lagering with the idea that it really doesn't make a big difference, so skipping it is a worthwhile shortcut to be able to produce more beer.

Lagers, when you pitch enough yeast, ferment nearly as quickly as an ale. So a typical ferment schedule would look something like:

Ferment 5 days
D Rest/Conditioning Rest 7 days
Crash 9-15 days
Filter and package.

I assure you there are many many craft breweries in the US following a very similar schedule to the one above for lagers.

Seth C

If any of you fine beer drinkers are in Louisville, come out to Against the Grain Monday. My friends from Country Boy in Lexington did a collaboration with them (a wet hopped IPA) and we will all be at AtG Monday starting at 6 to celebrate. The beer is called Mutual Mashturbation.

PS - the hops in this beer are local and I helped pick them.

What's your guys' favorite Mexican beer (if any, I know the hate they get)? I've liked Sol but I tried a Does Equis Amber and was surprised to like it.

thespot84

What's your guys' favorite Mexican beer (if any, I know the hate they get)? I've liked Sol but I tried a Does Equis Amber and was surprised to like it.

Given the choice I'd probably go negro modelo>modelo especial>dos equis amber>pacifico.

I find corona to be too salty personally. I never really seek out mexican beer though.

Just applied for an unpaid internship at a nanobrewery cleaning kegs. Maybe it will lead to something. Or I can at least put it on my resume.

I ended up winning that Iron Brewer tournament with that Chocolate Anise beer. Though I hated the beer. I get a plaque, apparently, and bragging rights, of course

Top Bottom