• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

dekline

iHaNKNiHhzox3.jpg

Trois Pistoles from Canada.

Mmmmm

matt360

Anyone ever try the Allagash Tripel Reserve? My buddy scored a 750ml bottle and wants to share it this weekend. Reviews look pretty good.

Anyone ever try the Allagash Tripel Reserve? My buddy scored a 750ml bottle and wants to share it this weekend. Reviews look pretty good.

I've got a bottle in the garage, actually. We don't get Allagash in WA anymore, but a buddy brought me a bottle back from Wisconsin.

Got my paycheck and had a few hours of overtime, so decided to get a four pack of Old Stock Ale.
Stuff is pricey but so big and good.
Gorgeous appearance, gorgeous smell, gorgeous taste. Every time I take a sip a wave of happiness washes over me that fades into a warm alcohol post-burn that reddens up the checks and swirls the brain.

I'm going to a party tomorrow that's BYOB. I was just gonna bring a bottle six pack of whatever for myself. But I thought it'd be nice if I picked up a relatively cheap 24 pack for everyone else. I don't really drink that much beer, and when I do it's typically specialty stuff. I was wondering what everyone thinks the best cheap brand is. I might be drinking a can or two myself, so I'd like it to taste good.

I'm going to a party tomorrow that's BYOB. I was just gonna bring a bottle six pack of whatever for myself. But I thought it'd be nice if I picked up a relatively cheap 24 pack for everyone else. I don't really drink that much beer, and when I do it's typically specialty stuff. I was wondering what everyone thinks the best cheap brand is. I might be drinking a can or two myself, so I'd like it to taste good.

Where are you located? Hit up Costco and get a 24-pack of something local or craft.

So, fellow Beer Gaf, I just arrive at the states and I'm looking for good beer recommendations.

I don't have a car yet so my options are very limited to what could be bought online or from local outlets. Any specific brand I should look or stay away from? I'm in California BTW.

For comparison, back at home I used to drink a lot of Guinnes, Delirium, Duvel, Maredsous, St Bernardus and Gulden Draak (and lots of cheaper local brands but I doubt anyone could use them as a reference here).

So, fellow Beer Gaf, I just arrive at the states and I'm looking for good beer recommendations.

I don't have a car yet so my options are very limited to what could be bought online or from local outlets. Any specific brand I should look or stay away from? I'm in California BTW.

For comparison, back at home I used to drink a lot of Guinnes, Delirium, Duvel, Maredsous, St Bernardus and Gulden Draak (and lots of cheaper local brands but I doubt anyone could use them as a reference here).

Start with the local breweies, find reviews form local homebrewers. My biases would point you north, to Oregon.

[edit:] California homebrew Association [edit2:} note events calandar.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

California in general is pretty vague.

Firestone Walker, Ballast Point, the Bruery, Alesmith, Green Flash, Russian River, Bear Republic, etc. etc. are all very good and different depending on what you are looking for. Some of them are also easier to find than others and there are many, many others of worth and relevance.

Edit: I'm not aware of anything particularly great of note in Sacramento, but it's fairly close to Chico where Sierra Nevada is.

Jamesways

Ok, so had a party last night. I did a beer sampling deal. Ended up with 27 different kinds, it was a lot fun. We went through 8 mix and match six packs.

Beer003-1.jpg

Beer001.jpg

...and still drunk this morning. Good times.

Ok, so had a party last night. I did a beer sampling deal. Ended up with 27 different kinds, it was a lot fun. We went through 8 mix and match six packs.

The only one I know from that bunch is the Delirium Nocturnum. Awesome beer, very strong.

Any beer you thought was particulary great?

Can I send beer to an american through the post?

I'm from Belgium.

Not through the offical post. Your service will pass the package to the United States Postal Serivce, and they will not transport alcohol. A private shipper may be used, but it seems pricey from what I have read. You will need to package carefully the contents; plastic wrap+sealable plastic bag+bubble-wrap around each bottle seems to be the best way to prevent breakage/spillage. If an answer isn't forthcoming here on gaf, call around to some bottle shops -they probably field questions from tourists all the time; so consider what location to call by the number of Americans herding around.

[edit:] ...and the delivery state may have some prohibition-era arcane laws that further impede what you are trying to do, for a friend.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Find Founder's Dirty Bastard if you can. There's a wall of amazing beers at my local Kroger for their Pick 6, so I decided to grab their IPA and their Scotch Ale. I was VERY impressed. After having their KBS, I guess I shouldn't be surprised - they are a consistently good brewery.

Also, overall, nice selection! That's my favorite thing to do - those mix and match/pick 6/whatever's are amazing ways to try new beers you would never get the opportunity to otherwise.

Jamesways

The only one I know from that bunch is the Delirium Nocturnum. Awesome beer, very strong.

Any beer you thought was particulary great?
I love the hoppy suff, and have had some of these before. But out of the bunch, I really really like the New Belgium Red Hoptober. A red IPA, super delicous.
And the Deschutes White IPA was a nice surprise too. Definitely will buy a sixer of that soon.

Find Founder's Dirty Bastard if you can. There's a wall of amazing beers at my local Kroger for their Pick 6, so I decided to grab their IPA and their Scotch Ale. I was VERY impressed. After having their KBS, I guess I shouldn't be surprised - they are a consistently good brewery.

Also, overall, nice selection! That's my favorite thing to do - those mix and match/pick 6/whatever's are amazing ways to try new beers you would never get the opportunity to otherwise.
I'll look into that one, haven't tried their Dirty Bastard yet. The Centennial IPA is very good, a nice fresh hop taste.

This new liquor store by my work specializes in local and regional craft brews. It's awesome. And their mix and match 6 packs are $9.99 flat, so a good deal for the types of beer they offer.

RyanDG

I've recently just moved to the Atlanta area and have just discovered this place:

http://www.brickstorepub.com/

I think I'm in love.

I told my wife that I'm going to probably end up there twice a week after work. She thinks I was just joking. Little does she know, lol.

I had the St. Bernardus Abt 12 and Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale. Really enjoyed the Bernardus, but wasn't too sold on the Nut Brown Ale (will need to try it a second time to come up with a better opinion on it).

One thing that I found really nice about the Pub though was the fact that each of the beer's came with their own etched/stenciled glassware. A really nice touch.

So, any other Atlanta regulars to the Brickstore Pub? You'll probably start seeing me there as a regular now that I've stumbled across it.

The amount of scalpers will make it easy for you to get tickets for less than cost 15 minutes after the door opens.

The GABF ain't the Super Bowl. If you wanna go, go.

I could make it happen if I was motivated. It's more like a collective of that, the days off I would have to spare, changing my plane ticket from the nineteenth and making my friend change his off days too. I'm going up there to see him mostly (but we will fit plenty of beer stuff in). Have fun dude, I hear it's a blast.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I could make it happen if I was motivated. It's more like a collective of that, the days off I would have to spare, changing my plane ticket from the nineteenth and making my friend change his off days too. I'm going up there to see him mostly (but we will fit plenty of beer stuff in). Have fun dude, I hear it's a blast.

It is fun, but it becomes a tiring weekend. By Friday night I am beered out.

They changed it this year so that Awards ceremony is actually before the Saturday Afternoon session, so that will be out of the way and everyone will know the winners heading into the sessions that day. It will be interesting to see how that works. It does mean that they don't need the stage area so there are actually more breweries in attendance.

I would recommend going if you can. You get to try some beers that you never would otherwise, and if you go to a session other than Saturday night (which sucks and I never end up showing up to it) you will have a blast.

My local beer bar was chosen to be one of the first places in the country to tap a keg of the new Widmer Brother's Reserve "SXNW". It is brewed with chocolate, pecans, green chilies, and spices. Sounds like it could be very tasty and it has a 9.3% ABV. They'll be tapping it this coming Friday.

Tried the Jefferson Stout by Lazy Magnolia last night. Tasted mainly of coffee and bittersweet chocolate with some hints of sweetness in the background. Went down very smooth. Might be one of my go tos for the fall along with a local spiced pumpkin beer.

dekline

These are from the past few days

iMnlmz4Ryv2qx.jpg

The sixth glass. Comes in a four pack. Tastes good and only takes a couple to start feeling good at ~11% abv. Will buy again.

iW3qPiKpgBxbs.jpg

I pick up maximus every once and a while because it's so good. I've seen it in six packs and 22oz singles.

I'll probably go beer hunting later tonight and grab something new.

It is fun, but it becomes a tiring weekend. By Friday night I am beered out.

They changed it this year so that Awards ceremony is actually before the Saturday Afternoon session, so that will be out of the way and everyone will know the winners heading into the sessions that day. It will be interesting to see how that works. It does mean that they don't need the stage area so there are actually more breweries in attendance.

I would recommend going if you can. You get to try some beers that you never would otherwise, and if you go to a session other than Saturday night (which sucks and I never end up showing up to it) you will have a blast.

Having a buddy up there is a nice excuse to go. I'll definitely make it to the AHA Session next year at least. Have you ever done the New Belgium tour? They were already booked up when I bought my plane ticket, but I've heard people don't show up and that they will fit you in especially if you're from out of town

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Having a buddy up there is a nice excuse to go. I'll definitely make it to the AHA Session next year at least. Have you ever done the New Belgium tour? They were already booked up when I bought my plane ticket, but I've heard people don't show up and that they will fit you in especially if you're from out of town

Yes. It is a good tour, but their tasting room gets super crowded. Fort Collins will be worth your trip even if you don't make it on one of New Belgium's tours with Odell, Funkwerks, Fort Collins Brewery and Equinox.

The AHA Session is a good one, as is the Thursday and Friday night session, you can't really go wrong with any of those. Saturday night is hellish though. Lots of beers are gone, no brewers are left, and it is just a bunch of drunk morons. Never lasted more than an hour on Saturday night before saying "fuck this" and heading to Falling Rock.

Hanging out at Falling Rock during GABF is the best part about GABF.

I miss Colorado.

thespot84

Yes. It is a good tour, but their tasting room gets super crowded. Fort Collins will be worth your trip even if you don't make it on one of New Belgium's tours with Odell, Funkwerks, Fort Collins Brewery and Equinox.

The AHA Session is a good one, as is the Thursday and Friday night session, you can't really go wrong with any of those. Saturday night is hellish though. Lots of beers are gone, no brewers are left, and it is just a bunch of drunk morons. Never lasted more than an hour on Saturday night before saying "fuck this" and heading to Falling Rock.

I miss Colorado.

It misses you.

I miss Colorado.

I'm just starting to get into the beer scene, but it seems that Colorado is a good place to do it (and I just reconnected with some friends who are into it). Went to Drydock in Aurora for the first time and it was damn good, aside from the 50 minute drive (no bueno for drinking a lot). We went up into the mountains and visited Tommyknockers in Idaho Springs and a few other places in Dillon and Breckenridge, including a tour of the Breckenridge Distillery. Not beer, but still a cool place.

We were planning on going to Fort Collins in the next few weeks too. Any other recommendations on that front?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I'm just starting to get into the beer scene, but it seems that Colorado is a good place to do it (and I just reconnected with some friends who are into it). Went to Drydock in Aurora for the first time and it was damn good, aside from the 50 minute drive (no bueno for drinking a lot). We went up into the mountains and visited Tommyknockers in Idaho Springs and a few other places in Dillon and Breckenridge, including a tour of the Breckenridge Distillery. Not beer, but still a cool place.

We were planning on going to Fort Collins in the next few weeks too. Any other recommendations on that front?

Boulder is a hell of a beer town. Upslope, Mountain Sun, Avery, Boulder Beer, Twisted Pine. Mountain Sun and Avery are the stand outs there.

Denver itself has a huge amount of breweries now, but many have opened up in the past year or so so I haven't tried some of them. I know the brewer at Prost, he used to be the brewer at Dry Dock, and so I know his German beers are great.

thespot84

Boulder is a hell of a beer town. Upslope, Mountain Sun, Avery, Boulder Beer, Twisted Pine. Mountain Sun and Avery are the stand outs there.

Denver itself has a huge amount of breweries now, but many have opened up in the past year or so so I haven't tried some of them. I know the brewer at Prost, he used to be the brewer at Dry Dock, and so I know his German beers are great.

Prost is indeed very good. It's funny that because it's german beer it tends to be atypical for the other crafts in the city which are much heavier/more hoppy as a general rule. Their hefeweizen is fantastic.

Top Bottom